Although similar, synonyms have subtly different meanings and are used in different contexts. For example, the words calculate, cipher, cypher, figure, reckon and work out are all synonyms of each other because they have roughly the same meaning, but there are subtle differences. These used to drive me crazy in the sixth grade but I managed to pass my tests and move on to geometry
Test your synonym knowledge
1. Happiness is one thing ___ is another; suggesting a state of utter joy and contentment.
2. ___ is even more extreme, describing a trance like state in which one loses consciousness of one's surroundings (the ___ of young love).
3. Although ___ originally referred to being raised or lifted out of oneself by divine power, nowadays it is used in much the same sense as ecstasy to describe an elevated sensation of bliss (she listened in speechless ___ to her favorite soprano).
4. ___ applies to any powerful emotion by which one is carried away (a ___ of delight).
5. When happiness is carried to an extreme or crosses over into mania, it is called ___. ___ may outwardly resemble ecstasy or rapture; but upon closer examination, it's usually found to be exaggerated and out of proportion (the ___ that came over him whenever he touched alcohol).