GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#948224 - 04/03/14 09:24 PM Windows XP to 7 Upgrade
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer

Need help from our resident experts

I would like to upgrade a very good Dell XPS 410 from Windows XP to Windows 7 32 Bit Home Edition but I am not sure which Windows 7 package to purchase. I am doing this of course because of XP support expiring and me wanting this computer to be Online for my Grandson. Maybe you could link me to what I would need at Newegg?

#948241 - 04/03/14 11:58 PM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
Sure, get this one... Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

If you watch the sales, sometimes you can grab it for $80. They had one today for the 64-bit version for $85, but it's already sold out.

You can't technically "upgrade" from XP. You will have to do a clean install, but that's the best way to go anyway. If there is anything on the XP that you want to keep such as email or user settings, favorites, documents etc., I use Windows Easy Transfer. Windows 7 already has it, but you would have to download it to XP. You just run it on the old PC to an external hard drive and then after you have installed the new OS, you run it on the "new" PC.

#948275 - 04/04/14 08:55 AM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer

Many thanks Draclvr

I just knew you would come to my rescue like you have so many times before. Is it easy to do the clean install, like just putting in the new Windows 7 disk and it walks you through it?

Does the "Windows Easy Transfer" also transfer programs or would I have to reinstall them using the manufactures software and apply any Windows 7 Updates for them?

#948277 - 04/04/14 09:24 AM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
Upsydaisy Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Sunny Devon, United Kingdom
If you look at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01 you will have some idea of requirements and all the information you need about windows transfer, clean and custom installations etc., luck

Edited by Upsydaisy (04/04/14 09:30 AM)

#948290 - 04/04/14 10:39 AM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

That's a great resource, Upsydaisy... everything you want to know, GreyFuss, even the info about Windows Easy Transfer! No, you can't transfer programs - you will have to reinstall them as they all need a registry entry.

It's very easy - I've done 3 of them and didn't have any problems at all. I guess I should have asked if you'd run the Update Adviser to be sure there are Windows 7 drivers for your old computer? Make sure you do that before you take the plunge.

#948296 - 04/04/14 11:39 AM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Denmark, Europe
I have Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit on the computer I bought last August (Ausgust 2013). And I must say, I'm most pleased with this operating system... smile

#948340 - 04/04/14 06:25 PM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thats a nice video , thanks Upsydaisy

I have run the Windows 7 Update Adviser and everything checks out OK. I don't think I really need to save anything from that computer as I have migrated everything when I got this computer. If I have this right...all I have to do is...while the computer is on in XP...insert the Windows 7 Installation disk in the drive and just follow the instructions right? I am assuming that the Windows 7 disk will completely remove Win XP, erase and reformat the Harddrive and install Windows 7 Right? After installation I should run Windows Update. Then hand install any programs I have and make sure they either are compatible with Win 7 or update the software from the manufacturers website. Is it that easy? Do I have any of this right?

#948375 - 04/04/14 09:38 PM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

You've got it!

#948385 - 04/04/14 10:52 PM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thanks for all the help...The Windows 7 Operating System software is on its way and I will let you know how the installation goes. praise

#948677 - 04/06/14 03:40 PM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Hicksville, NY USA
Good Luck with your WIN 7 "venture", Greyfuss
Sandy

#948907 - 04/08/14 01:42 AM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
SharonB Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Delaware, USA
I think you'll like it, Greyfuss. Got my new computer and am learning how to use Win 7. It seems to work very well so far. I bought "Windows 7 for Dummies" to help guide me. My computer works wonderfully now. The old one was so slow, it was like molasses. This one does what I tell it right away. There were a few glitches, but nothing I couldn't solve and I think I am set now. Good luck!

Sharon

#949633 - 04/11/14 05:08 PM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Hicksville, NY USA
Enjoy your new computer, Sharon. I'll just "trudge along" with my "old" WIN XP machine. I guess I'm just "a creature of habit" LOL
Sandy

#949637 - 04/11/14 05:57 PM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer

It wouldn't hurt XP users to buy a win7 install disc now for later use, just in case. I'm sure at some point they will become scarce. If your old XP machine can't handle it you would save money when you are forced to buy a new unit. E-college and some others, will sell you a pc without an OS. You can then install your win 7 and save a hundred dollars or more.

This machine I bought from E-college without an OS because I wanted to use XP and I bought a new non OEM version of XP. It installed easily as the machine was fully ready to go from E-college less the OS. A few months later as XP began to no longer satisfy I bought a three machine install pro version of Win7 home premium. It installed easily. I can legally use this same win 7 install disc on two more machines. It's the benefit you get for spending a few extra dollars. The OEMs only allow installation to one machine. The retail version is like thirty dollars more though the price varies. I paid $125 at New Egg for a retail version. When my wife bought a new pc from E-college without OS she could legally install this disc I have. It leaves me one more install. It's something to think about. Not only that but the retail version allows you to either install 64 bit or 32 as both are included.

What I mean by one more install is that I can install it on a third computer. You can wipe your pc and re-install as many times as you want. Generally the OS you get when buying a new PC is an OEM which is wed to that machine you can't install it on another machine. The retail version allows you to purchase a three machine key. I did'nt want to confuse people by thinking I was saying you could only install once.

Edited by oldmariner (04/11/14 06:03 PM)

#949683 - 04/12/14 07:10 AM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
Upsydaisy Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Sunny Devon, United Kingdom
Has anyone tried going down the ISO route? I believe these are image files of Windows 7 that can be downloaded, burnt to a dvd,installed and activated using your existing activation key. Its quite legal see here http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

#950213 - 04/15/14 03:53 PM Re: Windows XP to 7 Upgrade [Re: GreyFuss]
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer

WOW...That was way easier than I thought. I was expecting so much more, especially time. It took way longer to install the 150 "Windows Updates" than it did for Windows 7 to install. Ran Windows Easy Transfer before installing Win 7 just in case there was something I might need later...popped in the Windows 7 disk, Chose "Custom Install" and it was over in no time. I guess I was expecting the install to be like reformatting the entire computer back to its original state which use to take hours and hours.

I am guessing that "Windows Easy Transfer" placed a file called "Windows Old" in the "C" Drive where I can obtain any file I may need from the old OS XP...right? Not that I need any of it but its nice to know its there.

Now my Grandson has what amounts to a new computer running Windows 7 where only his stuff will be installed.

Thanks all and a special thank to you, Tomato Lady, for directing me to the proper Windows 7 disk. praise thumbsup

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  InlandAZ, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
10 registered (looney4labs, petert, DotEmu, Gimme, Marian, Lex, Haroula, Draclvr, PolloDiablo, albet), 86 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Newest Members
DotEmu, JoyBunBun, Cabb, Veilant, tookiebgirl12
8544 Registered Users