GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#964744 - 06/26/14 08:08 PM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Mad]
Rowan Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Mad, if you can possibly buy some hunting skills, it will help you earn animal pelts, claws, etc., which will increase what you can sell for more ore - a good investment. If I remember correctly you probably passed a couple of hunters before reaching the camp who can teach the skill.

#964804 - 06/27/14 05:37 AM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Rowan]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Yes, I will keep trying to improve my combat technique, looney4labs but I've watched some Gothic combat on YouTube and my efforts don't look anything like what I saw there !! shocked

The lowest amount of ore I need in order to obtain any one of those skills from the hunters, Rowan, is 50 thumbsdown
So I'm thinking I'll start the game over and try and do better - now I know more about how the game operates yes

#964841 - 06/27/14 09:49 AM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Mad]
hagatha Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: West Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Mad, your combat technique will improve as you move up the skill trees. The combat moves change as you take higher levels. This is very important in these games.

I usually forego the non-combat stuff for a while and concentrate on improving Dexterity and Strength for a while, then work on Sword skills, and then, when I am competent to do so, I venture out and start on Bow skills and then, when reasonably good, start with the money-centric skills like Lock picking and Hunting. The thing with the Gothics and Risen is that you can always go back to an area and take what's there if you had to leave things behind earlier on.

Possible Spoiler:
Click to reveal..
In the Old Camp you can find someone who will take you somewhere else, and that person will do your killing for you on the way, which will give you experience points.

#964850 - 06/27/14 10:18 AM Re: Gothic Series [Re: hagatha]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Thanks, hagatha smile

However, I seem to be in a vicious circle.
To obtain skills I need ore. And to obtain ore (of any quantity) I need skills !! duh

But I will plod on.

[I did start the game over and do fight a little better now - but nothing to shout home about lol]

#964975 - 06/27/14 09:40 PM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Mad]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Hurrah !! I've improved my fighting a bit - after realising what I was doing wrong happydance

And now, I'm going to follow your "spoiler" advice, hagatha grin

#965016 - 06/28/14 09:41 AM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Mad]
Barb Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Leavenworth, KS
Hi Mad, **SPOILER ALERT**talk to Diego about joining the camp - he tells you to talk to Thorus - Thorus gives you a quest to get rid of Mordrag - go to him - he's left of the castle gate, near the other entrance, follow him to the New Camp, he will kill the monsters & YOU get the experience. At the New Camp, you'll find someone who wants you to give out swampweed - each person you give it to will give you 10 ore. That way, you'll get 100 ore to buy a better weapon.

Sounds like you're doing fine, it just takes time to build experience & accumulate ore.

EDIT: Do you have a good walkthrough, Mad? This is the one I used: http://www.gamesover.com/walkthroughs/gothic.txt

Edited by Barb (06/28/14 09:52 AM)

#965020 - 06/28/14 09:53 AM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Barb]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Thank you, too, Barb, for another tip thumbsup !!

It's so great to have help when you need it happydance

#965116 - 06/28/14 02:21 PM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Mad]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Another question wink

Is there such a thing as a "World Map" for Gothic 1 - which shows the paths between the camps and/or important "wilderness" locations ??

I've looked on the web but can't find one.
And when I go roaming out and about, I invariably get lost for hours, or, more often, killed off by wolves and things shocked

#965126 - 06/28/14 02:42 PM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Mad]
Marian Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
If I recall correctly, there is no in-game map. If I find a map online, I'll let you know. smile

#965128 - 06/28/14 02:58 PM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Marian]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Thanks, Marian thumbsup

I'm doing a lot better now, since I improved my combat AND also took hagatha's advice happydance

#965165 - 06/28/14 05:14 PM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Mad]
Rowan Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Toronto, Canada
There are Gothic maps on this page.

#965168 - 06/28/14 05:33 PM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Rowan]
Marian Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
Nice, Rowan - thanks! wave

#965181 - 06/28/14 07:06 PM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Mad]
hagatha Offline
Addicted Boomer

Mad, in the Gothics you just have to chip away at the corners of each new area very slowly and by all means run away.

For instance, at a certain point you will see a bridge with some obnoxious-sounding small black beings on the other side. They look easy but - WOW! So what I do in this and all other multi and tough enemy situations is dart in, smack something with an arrow and then run like hell while they chase. They will give up eventually, at which point you can be an absolute yellow-bellied coward and stick another arrow in their backsides as they walk away.

#965195 - 06/28/14 07:35 PM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Mad]
looney4labs Online   content
GB Reviewer Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Alabama
Sounds like the same strategy I used in DD. wave

#965202 - 06/28/14 08:02 PM Re: Gothic Series [Re: Mad]
hagatha Offline
Addicted Boomer

It's always my strategy because I never build fighters, always mage/thief types. You have to be willing to be a scaredy-cat for the first half of any game, but after that it's usually fine.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  looney4labs, Trail_Mystic 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
10 registered (Sorta Blonde, Templeton Peck, soot, kjos, SirDave, dianne, looney4labs, Draclvr, Koala, CanukDenis), 105 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Elentgirl, tiathyme, Mr_Underhill, Lani, Rachissa
8581 Registered Users