GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Riddle of the Sphinx #87575
08/16/01 08:36 AM
08/16/01 08:36 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline OP
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline OP
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
Riddle of the Sphinx (ROTS) starts out with a strong emphasis on realism. The player sees what a visitor to the Sphinx would actually discover, down to the rusty barrels, battered tents and port-o-potties. Here you see ancient, unyielding spaces defaced by modern technology's attempt to pry open every secret. In one of the tents you find a series of audio tapes filled with dictation about the artifacts on site. These tapes are strangely relaxing to listen to -- like watching Bob Ross paint. Later, as you find your way into the long, cramped tunnels in the Great Pyramid the realism becomes downright disturbing -- it's hard not to feel claustrophobic, with all those tons of stone bearing down on you.

The game's beginning also does a good job of developing character and getting you interested in the plot. Sir Gil's paranoia starts to feel a little excessive. You acquire further insight when you stumble across the notes of a former archaeological assistant. You start to wonder why Gil is hiding clues to his discoveries in such a way that only you (or the person who wrote your walkthrough) can understand. Is he telling you everything, or are you being set up for some strange, ritualistic Ultimate Sacrifice?

Then, once you move to the unexplored sections of the Great Pyramid the game does a 180-degree shift. Archaeological fantasy and speculative wonder take over. The underground areas are magically lit by flickering torches. You see room after room filled with fabulous Egyptian stuff -- statues, chests, harps, weapons, vases, furniture, games, toys, wall paintings, jewelry. At this point the game loses its plot orientation, and Riddle of the Sphinx becomes unadulterated exploration and puzzle solving. There is LOTS to see, so the puzzles don't come too hard and fast. You do find many, many parchments which give game hints and also hint at the backstory; but since the parchments consist of pictures and hieroglyphs, they don't advance the plot.

There are several remarkable locations in this game. One of my favorites -- a huge room with marble walls every inch of which is inscribed with hieroglyphs. The walls gleam where lit by torches. You climb a unique staircase; and with each turn you can stop and look back to see new views of the room revealed in shifting light and shadow.

Another favorite location -- a small room filled with items made almost entirely of gold. Until I found this room, I was secretly upbraiding myself for not doing the right thing in the first place: contacting the authorities with my "find." After the gold room, the idea of contacting any authorities seemed ludicrous. I had a strange sensation resembling gold fever. I pelted from room to room, looking for more objects made of gold. I chuckled when I could place them in my inventory. I complained under my breath when the game wouldn't let me pick up the gold rings, the gold fans, the gold figurines....

About two-thirds of the way through the game, I found myself satiated with all this excess. I started longing for more variety in the game -- contact with another human being, a location without those oppressive stone walls and ceilings, even a badly-acted video message.

It was at this point that I ran into a certain puzzle that took me several hours to solve. By the time I finally got it right, I was angry and exasperated. This puzzle, combined with the large number of locations to explore, plus some pixel-hunting in a few places made the game feel really, really long -- perhaps the longest I have played.

ROTS reminds me in some ways of "Qin", with its large area of underground exploration, its mysterious aura spiced with a tang of danger, and its beautiful buildings and objects to admire. The puzzles are reminiscent of certain puzzles in "Timelapse" -- many of ROTS's puzzles require you to be good at observing patterns and interpreting symbols.

The music adds greatly to the gaming experience. Unfortunately, partway through the game the music started to cut out briefly whenever I clicked the mouse. This made movement with the mouse feel unusually disorienting and jerky.

Technical issues: I had difficulties during installation. I had to delete all former versions of Quicktime and install the version that came with the game. This wasn't hard to do, but it was annoying. The new version of Quicktime works for all my other games except "Obsidian", which now won't run. Also, the game never gave me a message that it had fully installed -- after awhile the installation program just sort of stopped. I waited and waited, and finally managed to exit. The game then told me that I hadn't fully installed, though apparently I had, since after that the game ran smoothly. I installed the ROTS patch before playing.

ROTS is almost entirely mouse-driven. There are two mazes. There are no sliding tile puzzles.

Near the end of the game the pace seems to pick up (maybe it's just that the final puzzles are a little easier?!). The ending has a couple of interesting twists. Not everything is explained (in fact, I'm still trying to puzzle out a full explanation for some of the things I saw). Nevertheless, I did enjoy how the Riddle of the Sphinx is resolved.

(Side note: now that "Amerzone" has just been re-released, it might be interesting to play "Amerzone" and ROTS in tandem, in order to enjoy the tremendous contrast between desert and rain forest environments.)

Note: This review is based on the original version of the game -- the noted technical problems should not apply to more recent versions.

Last edited by Becky; 10/20/08 04:47 PM.
Re: Riddle of the Sphinx #87576
08/16/01 12:25 PM
08/16/01 12:25 PM
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer
gatorlaw  Offline
Adept Boomer

Wow Becky - two fabulous reviews at once, you are on a roll here.

ROTS was such an intriguing and deceptively good game to me. At first - I was not too impressed and thought "well this seems ok - but that's about it"

Then as I entered deeper into the interior, that very realism you mentioned started growing on me too. Suddenly a hidden doorway was accessed. Just when I thought I had exhausted the limits of exploration - I crouched looked under an object I had barely noticed and suddenly the game shot off the charts.

I really felt like an archeologist of the Indiana Jones sorts. It also seemed as if the graphics brightened and deepened as the game progressed. This game environment is indeed huge. I also agree with the length of the game. Significantly longer game time and surprising locational variation for a desert area.

I hope that everyone who hasn't played ROTS reads your review and grabs it while it's still around!!

Laura

Re: Riddle of the Sphinx #87577
08/16/01 03:01 PM
08/16/01 03:01 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Quote:
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="3">Originally posted by Becky:

Technical issues: I had difficulties during installation. I had to delete all former versions of Quicktime and install the version that came with the game. This wasn't hard to do, but it was annoying. The new version of Quicktime works for all my other games except "Obsidian", which now won't run.
</font>

ROTS comes with QuickTime 4.12, but actually works better with QuickTime 3.02 on some computers. On the ROTS help site they actually provide a download of QuickTime 3.02 for those who are having trouble with QuickTime in the game. ROTS was originally developed for the older version of QuickTime, but because of some legal agreement with the QuickTime people, they had to provide the newest version with the game. (Well, it isn't the newest version any more, but at the time when ROTS came out, it was the latest version).

So it looks like you disabled your Obsidian game for nothing. Of course you can always uninstall the QuickTime 4.12 and reinstall the QuickTime that came with Obsidian. But anyone else who is playing a QuickTime 3.02 game may be relieved to know they don't have to change their QuickTime in order to play ROTS. (Note that not all QuickTime 4.12 games will work with QuickTime 3.02)

Quote:
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="3">
Also, the game never gave me a message that it had fully installed -- after awhile the installation program just sort of stopped...
</font>

I didn't have that problem. Installation went smoothly. I applied the patch. But when I tried to go into the Queen's chamber before investigating the King's chamber, the game froze. Other people have been able to explore the Queen's chamber before going back to the King's, but for some reason I had trouble there. I don't know if my problem here was unique, but on my computer it was repeatable. A CD change at that location may have been somewhat to blame. But after doing the King's chamber stuff I had no trouble entering the Queen's.

Quote:
The music adds greatly to the gaming experience. Unfortunately, partway through the game the music started to cut out briefly whenever I clicked the mouse. This made movement with the mouse feel unusually disorienting and jerky.
</font>

I had this trouble with the music stopping whenever I clicked forward throughout the game. It was really a shame because the music was very good. I tried changing the QuickTime settings from Direct Sound to Wave Out. This may have helped a little, but not a lot. Switching to QuickTime 3.02 did not help the sound either, though it did get rid of a "black box" effect that would show up sometimes with animations.

Quote:
ROTS reminds me in some ways of "Qin", with its large area of underground exploration, its mysterious aura spiced with a tang of danger, and its beautiful buildings and objects to admire. The puzzles are reminiscent of certain puzzles in "Timelapse" -- many of ROTS's puzzles require you to be good at observing patterns and interpreting symbols.
</font>

I agree with this. But at the time I played ROTS, I thought it reminded me most of Myst. The puzzles were integrated into the game. A lot of them were mechanical in nature. There was essentially no character interaction. The only voice you hear at the beginning of the game is on a tape recorder. And at the end of the game you only see an animation of a person. You don't get to really interact with them. All this was very similar to Myst. The plot of the game unfolds through the message on the tape recorder and you get further information from the papers you find as you progress through the game. (In Myst you got information from a hologram and picked up the plot through what you found in the Ages and what the brothers told you in their little book-videos). So in neither Myst nor ROTS is the game really story-driven, though there is a story. Both are non-linear.

I've read some reviews that complained about the graphics looking grainy. They are, but they are also very detailed and much care was put into making the images look authentic. They suffered a bit from the limits of the QuickTime game engine - there would be a color shift between the static nodes and the VR nodes. But perhaps this is less visible with other video cards. I hope there will be a ROTS 2 and that it will use something other than QuickTime (which seems to work a lot better on Macs than it does on PCs)

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Pandora, michele rose), 489 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users