GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
The Adventure Shop Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#389409 - 09/10/08 04:16 PM The Abby
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer

A quick review of this game which I consider one well worth your time. This version is the Adventure Company's "Murder in the Abby".

The game is your basic third person point and click with no action requirements. It is alt tab friendly and you do not have to have the cd in the drive to play the game. There appears to be a long load time when you initiate the setup.exe file. I am guessing the file loads the full cd in memory before the install activates. You may have to wait a bit before install begins.

Graphics are well done and movement from location to location is assisted by a map. This eliminates the need to do a lot of time consuming walking around. Voice acting is quite good with several interesting characters. I do not have a count of save slots. I used only twelve which was sufficient for my experience.

Puzzles are few mostly inventory based and logical. The game has some long conversations which will annoy some people but I found most enjoyable. Perhaps because the style or topics or focus of the characters was not what you hear in typical games. I don't recall of a game that focused on the inquisition or used religion as a bases for the story.

The hero in visiting the Abby at the request of the Abbott to discover the identity of a murderer. Bruno a teenager who is a novitiate accompanies the investigating monk. Bruno adds some humorous dialog. He seems very concerned about saving his soul and resist many request of his patron who he calls master.

Will not include any spoilers here. But will say even though there are a small number of puzzles there is a stinker of a slider puzzle included. It is a sixteen tile puzzle where you have to reconstruct a monochrome ill defined painting. Good luck and be aware Mag has a step by step solution in her walk through. you may need it.

One of the most enjoyable things found is this game is a well done explanation at the end of the game. The summary is complete for a refreshing change. No secrets or cliffhangers or loopholes. Though you may guess early on who the bad guy is there are a number of possibles that can keep you guessing. The game's length is moderate, not too short. The story is well done and will keep you interested.

As I said earlier conversations can be long off putting for some. But to be fair how else do you conduct an investigation but through tedious questing of witnesses and suspects. The saving thing here is the responses are not typical. you have monks who are hostile, suspect, superstitious and fearful. This is an era where religion trumped magic. The people who clung to religion denied magic but still feared magic existed. One very interesting character was senile often contradicting himself raising the question is he a suspect or simply on the verge of dementia. Either way his responses were fun to listen to.

This game is one that focuses on a venue rarely if at all touched upon by game designers. That alone begs a curious look see. The fact that it is so well done suggest giving it a play.

#389418 - 09/10/08 04:31 PM Re: The Abby [Re: oldmariner]
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Stony Brook, New York, USA
Thanks oldmariner -- I like a game with a good story and a satisfying ending -- it sounds as though this one has both!

#389432 - 09/10/08 05:22 PM Re: The Abby [Re: Becky]
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Greece
Thanks for the review oldmariner...
I think i'm going to like this game laugh

#389460 - 09/10/08 06:07 PM Re: The Abby [Re: Volkana]
Tomer Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Tel Aviv, Israel.
This game looks great, and I'm considering it. Thanks!

#389465 - 09/10/08 06:15 PM Re: The Abby [Re: Tomer]
looney4labs Offline
GB Reviewer Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Alabama
thanks Oldmariner

It sounds like a game I need to investigate wave

#389538 - 09/10/08 08:39 PM Re: The Abby [Re: looney4labs]
Trinny3 Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Maryland,USA
Thanks Oldmariner wave I don't know if I would like playing a cartoon version game but it sounds interesting, I might have to give it a try happydance.

#389545 - 09/10/08 08:57 PM Re: The Abby [Re: Trinny3]
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer

Don't let the cartoon version effect your decision. Quite frankly I had forgotten it was cartoon. The drawings are pretty straight forward and the cartoon factor is easily overlooked.

#389547 - 09/10/08 08:58 PM Re: The Abby [Re: Trinny3]
Darleen03 Offline
Adept Boomer

Loc: Northeast NJ
Thanks, Oldmariner

I really appreciate this nice review as the game is still not opened or loaded as of yet...But now I am so Happy To Say I can't wait to play

broccoli

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"

#390292 - 09/12/08 07:03 AM Re: The Abby [Re: Darleen03]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi oldmariner smile

Another pertinent and interesting review !!

Thank you thumbsup

Cheers.

Mad wave

#390338 - 09/12/08 07:57 AM Re: The Abby [Re: Mad]
sarahandus Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Bonney Lake, Washington
This is a game I have been on the fence about, but thanks to your review oldmariner I'll get it after all.

#390885 - 09/13/08 04:14 AM Re: The Abby [Re: oldmariner]
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: london uk
Thank you for an interesting review oldmariner! smile

#391754 - 09/14/08 04:51 PM Re: The Abby [Re: chrissie]
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: land gal just wanna have fun
I agree with Your review Oldmariner. wave
This was a fun game. bravo

Well written story that does not leave you guessing the ending, logical puzzles, great voices, great music, beautiful graphics.
thumbsup

I was sorry to see the game end. I think Bruno is adorable, Does anyone know where I can trade my son in for an obedient son like Bruno? rotfl

#392046 - 09/15/08 08:17 AM Re: The Abby [Re: Sherryah]
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Don't look at me. lol I have two wonderful sons, but I don't think I'd describe either of them as obedient, exactly. Well, they're obedient when it makes sense to them, and ignore me the rest of the time.

#392115 - 09/15/08 09:55 AM Re: The Abby [Re: Becky]
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: land gal just wanna have fun
I want to adopt Bruno, he is so adorable. Becky, I hope you will get to play Murder in the Abbey.

#392133 - 09/15/08 10:29 AM Re: The Abby [Re: Sherryah]
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

I'm looking forward to it. thumbsup

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  looney4labs, Rushes 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
11 registered (connie, Cue, Redz, DocPaul, goldqueen, Henny Tiben, OrleansBelle, scampy, Jarkeld, 1 invisible), 70 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Moonbat, kooker1957, ctillis, GreenBoat, Spidermna133
8496 Registered Users