[Linked Image]

I am about two and a half hours of playtime in, and it's a definite mixed bag.

Inspired by ancient European fairy tales, Lars is out to rescue his sister from the evil forces that have spirited her away. A cartoon puzzle adventure awaits.

I like the look, and the the soundscape is perfectly fine. The puzzling has so far been largely situational (what do I do here and how do I do it) but there are multi-part clues to one conundrum that gets full marks.

The interface though is way too fiddly. The game plays with the keyboard or a game controller, the mouse being completely redundant. The game tells you at the start that the best experience is a game controller, but having switched back and forth neither overcame the fiddliness. I eventually settled for the keyboard, but it never felt comfortable.

The autosave feature is the other major contributing factor to the mixed bag. I never like not being able to save when I want to, and the inability to do so here meant I had to replay parts of the current chapter more than once simply because I wanted to quit. Part of that was a product of the nature of the conundrum solve; I had had enough of trying things to move forward and wanted a break. While I knew what to do to get me back to where I was, the fact that I had to do it again irritated me.

The area I just finished involved not only finding things, and discerning things, but also doing certain things before certain characters came back to discover what I was doing. It doesn't need a twitchy finger, but you do need to identify a plan and then execute it in a timely fashion. Failing can be a part of working out not failing.

An upside is that there were occasions where I was caught (and killed) but I returned not to the start of the area but to a later point in my endeavor, and still with the items in my inventory that I had acquired before my demise.

So far I am liking some aspects and not really liking others so much. A mixed bag, as I said.

Once again, weeds are my life!