GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Miss the Old Days... [Re: gamenut] #813359
06/04/12 08:29 PM
06/04/12 08:29 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I'm sorry if I offended you, Mad. It's just discouraging that the new adventure games I can really enjoy are so few and far between lately. Like Colpet, I seem to be enjoying more casual games than I do adventures these days, even though I can't "get lost in them" the way I used to be able to with adventures.

Re: Miss the Old Days... [Re: Jenny100] #813376
06/04/12 10:44 PM
06/04/12 10:44 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I don't feel at all offended, Jenny100 !!

And I hope some of your favourite style games come along very soon yes

[I, too, dabble in Casuals - when I haven't as much time for playing - but they certainly don't have the depth of an Adventure "proper".]

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Miss the Old Days... [Re: gamenut] #813469
06/05/12 10:13 AM
06/05/12 10:13 AM
A
Argyle1968 Offline
Settled Boomer
Argyle1968  Offline
Settled Boomer
A

Some good points about what appeals to fans of 1st person adventures. The solitary adventuring is at the core. I'm not sure if it's the level of graphics, the voice acting, the writing, all three, or something else entirely, but I've not come across many games where the in-game characters were convincing. IMHO, the gamer's imagination does a far better job here in conjuring up other "characters" from old texts, diaries and notes found in the game environment.

Too, some don't like "pixel hunting" but fundamentally, an adventure is analogous to a search for something in your own home. Would you expect to be led to a an overly conspicuous hotspot in each room you entered? No--you'd conduct a methodical search, item by item, corner by corner, inch by inch, until you turned up something potentially useful. Intuitively, that's the way we do things. That's why third person games have never logically made sense to me. It feels more like watching someone else do something than doing it myself.

First person games that allow this kind of intensive searching offer a level of satisfaction, IMHO, I can't find in a game that leads me through it in a narrative fashion that feels more like I'm a character in a film. I appreciate being able to pick up all of the overpriced junk in the gift shop in Lights Out, for example, that Jonathan Boakes has painstakingly taken the time to put on the shelves there, even though it may have no significance to the plot. It creates and builds atmosphere. Racing through that setting to find one or two clues or puzzle pieces and moving on somehow wouldn't seem as much fun.

Last edited by Argyle1968; 06/05/12 10:14 AM.
Re: Miss the Old Days... [Re: Argyle1968] #813559
06/05/12 06:34 PM
06/05/12 06:34 PM
Southeast Asia
macmac Offline
Settled Boomer
macmac  Offline
Settled Boomer

Southeast Asia
Just wanted to add my .02 centavos to Gamenuts original observation: I agree completely. I hate to be pessimistic but I see a dismal future for Adventure games; It is obvious to anyone who has been tracking the trends that the future of adventure gaming is animated cartoon creatures wandering through a cartoon landscape gathering a ridiculous array of inventory items and trying to fulfill some sort of "quest". In other words, glorified "hidden object" games....

Re: Miss the Old Days... [Re: macmac] #813571
06/05/12 08:15 PM
06/05/12 08:15 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Well I absolutely refuse to be pessimistic !!

Trends come and go and always have done yes

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (oldbroad, robedits, fildil), 615 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users