GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and DRM [Re: oldmariner] #838956
09/28/12 02:24 PM
09/28/12 02:24 PM
Delaware, USA
SharonB Offline
Addicted Boomer
SharonB  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Delaware, USA
I don't mean to take this off-topic, but what do you mean I could lose my Kindle collection?!
It's on my Kindle! I don't need to go online to re-download it or be online to read it.

Darn you, Old Mariner - You've caused me to think! taz

You're perfectly right, of course. The battery could die in my Kindle. If I have to purchase another Kindle the format could be different. I would definitely have to re-download and that might be problematic. Amazon could easily impose some other form of DRM.

The ease of use and space-saving benefits of downloading my books is now looking like treacherous waters. I love my books even more than my games.

I did not realize there was an attached risk to downloading and keeping e-books. frown

Edit: Jenny's idea carries a lot of merit. It provides a security measure for both the developer and the customer and buyer's wouldn't feel they were taking such a risk.

Last edited by SharonB; 09/28/12 02:29 PM.
Re: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and DRM [Re: oldmariner] #838957
09/28/12 02:33 PM
09/28/12 02:33 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Your Kindle book collection is safe, Sharon. You own the books just as if they were sitting on a physical shelf. Yes, there is always the possibility you will have to redownload to your device. Why not back them up to your computer? Download the free Kindle for PC and download all your books there. Now you've got them in two places.

I don't plan on leaving my books to my children as they wouldn't read them anyway... my tastes are nothing like theirs. My books are for me and I would have had to build an addition on my house for them if I had physical copies of every book I've read. I utilize the Kindle 2-weekout checkout at my local library heavily and purchase Kindle books for many others. Love my digital books!

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and DRM [Re: oldmariner] #838963
09/28/12 03:05 PM
09/28/12 03:05 PM
kiev
T
thehood Offline
Settled Boomer
thehood  Offline
Settled Boomer
T

kiev
I'm taking what you say personally as soon as you speak about thieves, you talk to us and tell such words, what do you expect?

I'm done arguing with you anyway smile

What Jenny proposes, and it's absolutely fair, is what we call a Lapalissade, it is already like that, and everyone here knows it and you know it's even not a discussion.

I hope you'll enjoy the game, that what matters to me, personally.

Re: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and DRM [Re: Draclvr] #838964
09/28/12 03:12 PM
09/28/12 03:12 PM
Delaware, USA
SharonB Offline
Addicted Boomer
SharonB  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Delaware, USA
Thanks for the reassurance Draclvr.

I hate to reveal my ignorance but I don't understand about the not leaving your books to your grandchildren. Not that I had any plans in that direction. I really don't know anyone who would be interested in my collection. But they are on my Kindle. When I die, my possessions pass on to someone else.

Is this then a legal issue? I cannot legally will my e-books to someone else?

I think I'm going to have to go to the Kindle site and look at the fine print. I'm pretty sure I looked before and I don't remember anything about this being mentioned.

Re: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and DRM [Re: oldmariner] #838966
09/28/12 03:22 PM
09/28/12 03:22 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
It was on the news last week. It was brought up that you may not will most of your digital collection to anyone. The rights to it expire when you do.

Last edited by BrownEyedTigre; 09/28/12 04:01 PM. Reason: clarified

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and DRM [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #838974
09/28/12 03:51 PM
09/28/12 03:51 PM
Delaware, USA
SharonB Offline
Addicted Boomer
SharonB  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Delaware, USA
Thanks, Ana. I didn't see that. It was never a factor that I considered when I started downloading games and books. It's a little disturbing that you can't.

It reinforces OldMariner's position on rights of ownership. As I've said before, it was never my intention to leave my e-books to anyone but I should be able to. I paid just as much or more for my e-books as the paperback version and those I can leave as I like.

Well, this is totally off-topic and a little depressing and I will stop posting about it now.

Re: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and DRM [Re: oldmariner] #838975
09/28/12 04:00 PM
09/28/12 04:00 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
You can read more here. The Bruce Willis part is not true but it does clarify some rights.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and DRM [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #838985
09/28/12 04:42 PM
09/28/12 04:42 PM
Delaware, USA
SharonB Offline
Addicted Boomer
SharonB  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Delaware, USA
Thank you, Ana. That was very helpful. I did not realize this before.

I don't know why it seems so much worse when it applies to books. I used to take great pride and pleasure in "owning" my collection. And now I don't. It's temporary. It hardly seems worthwhile to buy them anymore. I can borrow my e-books from the library. Or use Amazon Prime to borrow them.

This means I'll save a lot of money on collecting them, I guess.

I guess it boils down to how expensive is the game or book and how much do I want it? Can I read or play it without "renting" it? Legally?

More food for thought. My feelings about drm have undergone a radical change.

In order to keep my collections on track I use Collectorz.com software. I'm going to have to at the very least start looking up each game's ownership status and start entering info regarding any drm restrictions.

Well. An ugly can of worms was opened up and I can no longer bury my head in the sand as if it doesn't affect me.

Buying a game or book will no longer be an impulsive act.

Re: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and DRM [Re: oldmariner] #838989
09/28/12 04:49 PM
09/28/12 04:49 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
And I think that's a good think, Sharon! As far as my digital books go, I only purchase one if I just can't live without it. I borrow from the library and from Amazon Prime 99% of the time. I view my Kindle Fire as a convenient way to have my books where ever I go. As far as not "willing" them to my children, in a way I look at that as a favor to them in that they won't have to find a way to get rid of them. Hubby is a total pack rat with paperbacks and I literally have an entire small walk-in closet devoted to them. Many are well over 20 years old and he will never read them. But they just live there and I told his kids they will have to find some way to get rid of them!

As far as games go, for a really good game, I will swallow my loathing for DRM in order to support the good game makers. I don't like it, but then I know how they feel when all their hard work is stolen.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and DRM [Re: oldmariner] #838992
09/28/12 04:57 PM
09/28/12 04:57 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Now that the info has been brought out and discussed and everyone has had their say, we are going to end the discussion.

You all are free to make your own decisions and do whatever works for you.

Thanks for understanding.

Ana

Don't feed the Trolls
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 662 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users