GB HOMEPAGE

Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course

Posted By: popcorneater

Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/25/06 10:43 AM

Here y'all go wave , nice and clean slate..go for it.

Ingie laugh
Posted By: Pib

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/25/06 12:47 PM

Well, well. a clean slate. Tip of the day,
shadowmere wandered off on me after a big fight by a gate. Check for her where you originally found her.
Posted By: Rowan

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/25/06 01:54 PM

Those acrobatic boots get destroyed during that free fall to escape. I chose to jump without those boots and took some damage but it didn't kill me. Now I still have the boots. However, since I have now found my thrall boots with its feather spell I don't wear the acrobatic boots any more. Since they were a quest item I can't sell or unload them but at least they are weightless.

I love the gray fox cowl that you get as the ultimate prize in the thieves quests. Besides giving you an extra 200 pts feather and detect creature it shields you from consequences of any evil you do while wearing it. If I murder or steal with the cowl the bounty and infamy is removed as soon as I take off the cowl. It is great for dungeon crawling but not advisable to wear in towns.
Posted By: Demosthenes

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/25/06 04:13 PM

Technically speaking you can steal the boots back if you steal them back IMMEDIATELY after your quest. Supposedly.

You can't, however, steal the amulet back. It just vanishes.
Posted By: Nipomo

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/25/06 06:00 PM

I'm going to ask this because I am courious, but if no one answers thats ok. I hope I explain it well enough.
I just finished the 2nd mages guild quest where you cast magic at a pillar and it drops down and there are stairs.
When I got to the last big room with the Elfin Helm I killed all the badies and was ready to leave.
In the big room there are two doorways, one where I came into the room and the other goes to a room with 2 large elf statues each holding up a sword, also there were 4 stone aynalic (sp?) chests. For me that room was a dead end, but it looked like--felt like to me that maybe you could somehow open the wall.

In the end I went up the stairs (where the button was that put the stairs up to the Elf Helm) and left that way but later I went back and hunted to see if I could open that one room but could find nothing.

Did everyone find that room with the Elf statues to be a dead end or did you find you could open the wall??? I don't know why this question stays in my mind---guess its just the adventure game player in me

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/25/06 06:28 PM

I had that same feeling but never got the wall open either.

I did notice (using detect life) that there were creatures of some sort standing on the other side of the wall, and *if* I remember correctly, I eventually acessed the room they were in from another passageway and...er...got rid of them. So maybe you don't need the wall to open after all?

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 01:37 AM

So if you've reached the point of randomly opening gates to Oblivion, do you go ahead and shut them or just mop up any loose critters and leave them be? Wherever I go, I leave gates behind me these days.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 01:59 AM

I'll wait until I get around to doing the Allies for bruma quest before closing oblivion gates. I'm not volunteering any extras at the moment.

Right now I am doing the Black Brotherhood quests and am enjoying the originality of those. The bonus items are pretty good too.
Posted By: JMK

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 01:59 AM

I haven't closed a single gate yet. rotfl As a matter of fact, I haven't even gone to find the emperor's son, yet. I just plan on roaming around, completing questing and joining guilds, until I get bored and then decide to do the main game.

I've just joined the Fighter's Guild for the first time in Cheydinhal and completed that quest. I'm about ready to do the mages guild recommendation quest to find the burden ring.

I'm enjoying this one more than Morrowind. I think it's a lot easier, and the mapping is superior! The main reason I didn't finish Morrowind was because I kept getting lost.

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rowan:
I'll wait until I get around to doing the Allies for bruma quest before closing oblivion gates. I'm not volunteering any extras at the moment.

Right now I am doing the Black Brotherhood quests and am enjoying the originality of those. The bonus items are pretty good too.
I agree, my sister. The Dark Brotherhood provides you with interest and challenge to complete the contracts as appropriate. I'm working on a Lucien contract now, multiple deaths are required. The last is causing me grief. Her death is noticed no matter how sneaky I am.
Posted By: oldman

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 06:07 AM

Hi all,

Well here I am again with another problem (what's new?).

I'm at the point in the thieves guild quests where I just got Fathis Ules from Imperial City as my fence and I'm supposed to fence up to 800 gold. My problem is that he's never home. I've been to his house in Imperial City for 24 hours and he's never there. I read a walkthru that said he's supposed to be on a bench in back of his house but he's never there.

Now I'm going to take a deep breath quit for a while and study the problem. Maybe if I sleep on it and come back tommorow he'll suddenly appear.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldman:
Hi all,

I've been to his house in Imperial City for 24 hours and he's never there. I read a walkthru that said he's supposed to be on a bench in back of his house but he's never there.

Now I'm going to take a deep breath quit for a while and study the problem. Maybe if I sleep on it and come back tommorow he'll suddenly appear.
I'd say try that. Sounds a bit like he got stuck somewhere and couldn't get home. That happened to me when I was trying to join the thieves guild. The third would-be thief was stuck pacing in mid-air. The next night, he made his appointed time.
Posted By: VHLMagic

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 11:29 AM

Hi all,

This game does do weird things now and then.
I was going through the area where you have to get the Amulet of the Kings and one monster was stuck down below me because I could see him with my detect life helmet but couldn't get to him.

Once I reloaded the game....there he was were he was suppose to be.

I have also had stuff happen like a guard stuck riding his horse around and around in a corral area.

Also a horse on top of a roof in the correl area.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 11:47 AM

Pib duh , on the gates thing...I tried to go in and close another one, but couldn't find anything, so back out I went. Also someone posted here that do not close the gates until you're done with "other activities"
So, I've left the rest of mine open and will see what the end shall bring.. evil

Ingie laugh

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 01:14 PM

Oldman, you can use any fence to get your quota of stolen goods. I never could find that fence you're talking about either. His schedule certainly never coincided with mine so I just used the first one who I already liked me enough to have a high disposition to benefit my trading.
Posted By: sharebear

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldman:
Hi all,

Well here I am again with another problem (what's new?).

I'm at the point in the thieves guild quests where I just got Fathis Ules from Imperial City as my fence and I'm supposed to fence up to 800 gold. My problem is that he's never home. I've been to his house in Imperial City for 24 hours and he's never there. I read a walkthru that said he's supposed to be on a bench in back of his house but he's never there.

There is a mod that fixes Fathis Ule so he will be where he is supposed to be.

Oldman,

ALSO, there is a mod that is called "No Quest Items" that allows you to put your quest items in your home to store them if you want so you don't have to carry them all around. Quest items cannot be sold for gold, and weigh nothing, but can become a pain if you don't actually NEED them anymore.

I store them in a chest in my house. The mod makes it so you can do that.

Everyone,

Seriously guys, if you have any issues like the above two - you should have a look at all of the game mods that FIX problems. There are quite a few!
Posted By: Tamia

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 05:51 PM

I have two questions. I just started this game last week. I'm a level 7 Redguard warrior.

I need to find ectoplasm. I've only got two. Where can I get more?

Also, in the Mages quest with the pillar you lower, the spells for enhance magica and sever magica don't help the pillar lower. Is it because I have scrolls and don't "know" the spells? The fire and snow spells work. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 06:02 PM

Ha! I found out why Fathis Ules isn't available to me. I ran into him in Chorrol and he is very mad at me. I refused to give him back a sword he stole in a previous quest. The game told me to take it to the castle and I didn't realize I would run into Fathis again.

Anyway I pawned my stuff at another fence and have received my next quest from the Gray Fox.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 08:16 PM

Tamia, you can get ectoplasm from ghosts that you find in aelid ruins. You need an enchanted weapon to kill them. So you are a Redguard? Be careful: I need a Redguard victim for one of my soultrap missions. evil

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 08:33 PM

Tamia, when that happened to me on that mage quest, it was because I was trying to use the spells on the crystals around the edges of the room instead of on the pillar at the center. You need to use them on the pillar.

Order's also important, so if it doesn't work, try switching the order of the last two spells.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 09:14 PM

Here's something I've been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting. In two of the elven ruins I've been to, there has been a large, pink crystal, that shoots at me! It does quite a bit of damage, too. I imagine it's set as a guardian. Does anyone know what to do with these? Can they be destroyed?

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tamia:

Also, in the Mages quest with the pillar you lower, the spells for enhance magica and sever magica don't help the pillar lower. Is it because I have scrolls and don't "know" the spells? The fire and snow spells work. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Two of the scrolls are 'touch' which means you have to stand next to the pillar when you cast them. Fire and snow are distance spells that you can cast from way back.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JMK:
Here's something I've been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting. In two of the elven ruins I've been to, there has been a large, pink crystal, that shoots at me! It does quite a bit of damage, too. I imagine it's set as a guardian. Does anyone know what to do with these? Can they be destroyed?
Excellent question. I drink a Resist Fire potion and run like heck. I assume it's a trap like swinging blades and crushing blocks that you just need to avoid or time right. I don't have nearly enough hit points to find if you can destroy it. smile

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/26/06 10:50 PM

Thanks, Pip. I avoided them and got what I wanted, but I wonder if they are some type of special power crystal. Maybe I'll pop on over to the official forum when I get home this evening and see if anyone knows.

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/27/06 01:59 AM

Dos anyone else find the fighters' guild porter to be annoying? Even though I am now his boss he still hovers around me watching my every move - as if I were going to steal something. whistle

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/27/06 03:26 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Rowan:
<strong> Dos anyone else find the fighters' guild porter to be annoying? Even though I am now his boss he still hovers around me watching my every move - as if I were going to steal something. evil

Tonight I'm trying two of the mods. The first is BTmod, does a lot of stuff including making more of your inventory on screen at once and making the map larger as well. The other is a fix for female elf type voices. I've been thinking my character made some awfully low pitched sounds when fighting. Someone has replaced the male voice with a female one from Morrowind.

I still hope most of the bugs will get a patch one of these days. It'll be big though, many small things have come to light.
Posted By: hagatha

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/27/06 06:35 AM

Hah,! That porter wouldn't survive long in the Dark Brotherhood. Now that I'm in charge they're fawning all over me, veritably tripping over their own feet to make me happy, stammering when they talk to me because I. Am. The Boss. smile

And don't get me started on the Thieves. They're polite enough, but when I don my Cowl, they practically fall to their knees in awe.

If only real life was like that.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/27/06 11:14 AM

Hi all,

Ingie....you will have to close the gates near all of the towns when you do the Allies for Bruma quest. Those are the ones you will get credit for closing and you will collect soldiers from each town to help later on in the game.

There will be about 50 or more other gates opening up and you can either close them or not.

They do have good stuff like rare plant life or goodies in those funny looking flesh pods and the Sigil Stone can be used to enchant armor or weapons.

Each gate will have a different path to reach the Sigil Stone Tower. This is the one that has a stream of fire shooting up with the stone at the top of it.

There will be 3 Towers in each gate and how to get to the Sigil Tower if different in each gate.

You may have to open bridges from 2 Towers to get to the Sigil Tower or you may have to go through caves to get to it and so on.

I would suggest you practice how to get to the Sigil Stone because the main quest has a really tricky Gate Quest and you have to get through it to continue the game to the end.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/27/06 11:22 AM

thanks Magic wave
...I was definitely informed wrong..
I did go into the one outside of Burma and didn't find anything...should search a bit harder now that I know..

Ingie laugh

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/27/06 01:06 PM

Ok, got the ectoplasm and can finally continue on my fighters guild quest.

But can someone please just "spell" laugh it out for me, what spells do I need to get the pillar down? Fire and snow work. I've tried reversing the order of the others, that didn't matter. But I didn't touch it. Do I need damage magica and fortify magicia? If so, I don't have those exact spells. I was trying some others that sound similar. Having trouble finding them, and wanted to know if that's what I need before I run all over the country looking for them.

I've only closed one gate so far. But I will get to some soon. It seems like good experience and I can use some money. I have no house and I'm tired of carrying everything! smile

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/27/06 03:18 PM

Tamia, in the area just before the pillar room is a NPC and near him is a chest which contains all kinds of spells including the four you need to lower the pillar. Make sure you have DAMAGE magica (not drain magica).

Now cast your distance spells from the corridor:
1) fire
2) frost

Then go up close to the pillar and touch the pillar while casting:
3) damage magica
4) fortify magica
luck

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/27/06 05:55 PM

Thank you. That's what I needed to see. Uhm, the chest had lots of spells, but not those two in particular. Maybe a bug? But now that I know what I'm looking for, that will help! Thanks!!

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/27/06 07:47 PM

The spells are there. They may have another name but the description should match. Check those pop out flyers when you highlight them. That gives the description.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/27/06 08:52 PM

Hi all,

Well I finally got through the Thieves Guild and am now the Gray Fox or whatever. My infamy just went up higher than my fame though and I can't pray at any chapels.

I've searched through the manual and can find no mention of fame or infamy. So does anyone know what you have to do to raise your fame or lower your infamy?

I would assume good deeds etc but are there any shortcuts? Or am I just to live in infamy because I'm now the Gray Fox?

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/27/06 09:20 PM

Oldman, to change your fame/infamy ratings all you have to do is take off the cowl. You now have a dual personality. From now on do all your crimes while wearing the cowl and the Gray Fox part of you gets all the bounties. Take it off and you will be as pure as the driven snow. lol I've just let all my bounties accumulate under Gray Owl without paying any off since there is no point. You will always have a minimum of 500 bounty. You can still pray at altars without the cowl. Check that whitish box on p.183 of your SG.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/28/06 02:58 AM

Thanks guys! You were right. I looked closely at the discriptions and found what I needed in the chest. Then I touched the pillar. I wasn't doing that either. I'm currently in the depths of this haunted place. Now I'm finding plenty of ectoplasm!

Is anyone trying to be good here? I suddenly discovered I had a bounty of 40 and was horrified so I went back to a saved game. smile It seems I had struck a count- he got in the way! I haven't joined the theives guild yet or the brotherhood. That duel personality sounds pretty good, but I'll probably look in to the thieves guild when I'm further along. There is so much to do!
Posted By: PeggyH

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/28/06 03:50 AM

Oh, woe! I am well and truly trapped in the Dagon Shrine. I have killed almost everyone, but I need a key to get out and I can't find who has it! There are only about 4 little jittery acolytes hiding in a passage and in another save I had killed them but they didn't have it. I'm afraid this is a stuck spot for me. It surely is a long part of the game to replay the whole thing. cry cry

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/28/06 04:50 AM

I'm doing the "Lifting the Veil" quest out of Bruma for the Countess to get the Draconian Madstone. I've made it all the way to the Pale Pass and fought my way through a bunch of trolls to the bottom. But I can't find the elven ruins! Can anyone point me in the right direction? When I go to the end of the valley I see some ruins near a frozen pond, but no entrance. The picture in the SG looks like there's an archway. I haven't seen it anywhere.

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/28/06 11:44 AM

Hi all,

As for your answer Tamia....all you have to do to find these spell scrolls is go to the guy standing nearby and take all the spell scrolls in the chest there. It will contain the ones you need to use.

Use a fire spell (any one will do).
Next a cold spell (any one)
Next Damage Magic
Next Fortify Magic

For the on touch spells you have to have your nose against the pillar to make sure it works.

That was my mistake until I found out I was not close enough to the pillar while casting the spell.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/28/06 01:42 PM

Jean, that is a difficult door to find. It does not look like those white pillars lying on the ground. It is actually a brown door with an arch and it is fairly well camouphlaged. If I remember correctly it is not near the centre pond. It is NW of it ... I think. think

Peggy, I checked my SG and the only reference to keys is doorkeeper in the first level called Lake Arrius Cavern. If you are playng it safe you can give him the proper countersign and he will open the door for you, or, you can kill him and take the key. If you are in the Dagon Shrine level the exit is in the NE corner of the room. If you are in the Living Quarters level the exit is at the southern end. Hope that helps.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/28/06 08:23 PM

Oblivion improves on Morrowind insofar as it's far more difficult to kill someone you'll need for a quest later on simply by walking into the the wrong cave at the wrong time.

In Morrowind I squelched a couple of quests by doing just that - venturing into a cave, being attacked, and killing everything in sight. In Oblivion they've made it so that the characters you need aren't in the cave or ruin until you have the quest in your log. So you can explore caves and ruin to your heart's content in Oblivion. And so long as I have carrying capacity I will go in and explore just about any place that takes my fancy.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/29/06 03:15 AM

I did get out of the shrine using lockpick. Just kept reloading until I got it right. I missed the guy at the front gate, or the key at any rate. I killed my way through. Just couldn't get into pretending to be one of those guys! laugh

Haven't played any yet so may give it an hour or so before bed. Nipomo, I go in if I am not in the midst of a quest. So some I have found but not explored which has created a bit of a problem because I should have marked (with a blue arrow) the ones I did complete so I don't keep going back to the same ones, or skipping some I have missed. wave

AARGH!! I returned to the game for a little play before bed and guess what? I am still stuck in the shrine. The lock I was so proud to have picked was on a hard chest and there I stood becoming more and more claustrophobic in these caves. cry cry

I went back to an old save and re-entered the Mystic Dawn area and replayed the entire shrine section but still have not found the key. Maybe tomorrow!! Or I'll just back out of this for now and wait til I'm a powerful enough mage to blast through that rock wall! (By the way, is there a secret to that,perhaps)? I am too weary to pursue that thought tonight.
Posted By: threads

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/29/06 11:39 AM

PeggyH has mentioned placing a blue arrow on the map. Way back I did that by holding down left shift and clicking left mouse on the map. Would you believe it will not work that way now - in fact haven't been able to place a blue arrow for a loooong time.

Help appreciated please.

Alice - way behind everyone else, as usual.
Posted By: Skyros

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/29/06 12:30 PM

I read in the old post about a great sword connected to the Umbra quest. Where can I find someone to mark the place for "Clavicus Vile shrine" on my map?

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/29/06 01:39 PM

I have spent two days looking for the secret to that blasted exit and suddenly found it by accident. What a ding-a-ling. My advice when looking for the exit from Dagon Shrine is slow down, keep your eyes open and use a torch! lol

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/29/06 02:02 PM

Skyros, no one tells you about the Clavicus Vile shrine. However, it is not far SW of the Imperial City. The Gold Road and the Red Road make a loop and the shrine is in that loop.
Posted By: syd

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/29/06 03:22 PM

Man am I behind - I haven't played all week. I just made level 5 and have a bunch of stuff I stole so I can fence my 50 gold worth of items for the Thieves Guild quest. Other than that I haven't accomplished a whole lot.

Threads - I had a terrible time in a couple of places getting my blue flag to work also. I found I can't move it if I'm standing on the location I want to place it - I either have to move the flag over or move me over.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/29/06 05:51 PM

Hi all,

Well I've completed all the Guilds and am now the honcho of all of them. I'm now working on the Daedric Quests and have just gotten the Goldbrand (which was my weapon of choice in Morrowind).

I got a message from the game that there was a stone that restored the magic in magicical weapons but I forgot which stone it was. Does anyone know what the stone is and where they can be found?

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/29/06 06:23 PM

Oldman, you must have your info mixed up. You're not the head honcho - I am! razz

The stones for enchanting are called varla stones and can be found in ruins. They are not that plentiful. Since they enchant all your weapons at once it is only worthwhile to use them when you are stuck inside a dungeon and have ran out of enchantment on most of your weapons. Once the stones are used they are gone. If you are on the surface and if you have enough money (as any honcho should) then it is more worthwhile to pay for the enchanting services offered by mages.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/29/06 11:57 PM

Quote:
Oldman, you must have your info mixed up. You're not the head honcho - I am! razz

The stones for enchanting are called varla stones and can be found in ruins. They are not that plentiful. Since they enchant all your weapons at once it is only worthwhile to use them when you are stuck inside a dungeon and have ran out of enchantment on most of your weapons. Once the stones are used they are gone. If you are on the surface and if you have enough money (as any honcho should) then it is more worthwhile to pay for the enchanting services offered by mages.
I am only the head of the Dark Brotherhood (soon to be renamed the Dark Sisterhood razz ) but will soon work my way to the top of another guild or 3.

I have used 2 Varla stones and have 8 in my inventory. A hint, if you are doing The Collector quest, every ruin that has a statue in it has 1 or 2 Varla stones. Hmm, I have retrieved 5 statues - therefore I'm definitely finding 2 Varla in each ruin. And The Collector quest is worth 10,000 gold if you complete it. All up, a worthy miscellaneous quest.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/30/06 12:47 PM

Syd, thanks for that tip - think that may be what is wrong - can hardly place an arrow through my foot lol Dashed is I can understand what the S.G. means by "The switch to raise the steps is on the right at the top of the northern stairs". I've been to the top of both sets of steps attached to the column. No switch. Have retraced my steps out of the room/hall to the north - no switches at the top of those stairs.

I've climbed and investigated the stone stairs which are crumbling.

As I suppose I could be reading the compass incorrectly - I spent another hour repeating all this activity in reverse.

I've even swept the floor ! laugh

I was so pleased with myself for lowering the other pillar first time off - cry this has taken the grin off my face.

BTW - found my first varla stone in the caves. Bit of luck 'cos I needed it.

Alice

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/30/06 06:29 PM

If I'm remembering that ancient helm quest correctly, threads, the switch is up some stairs along the opposite wall from where you entered.

So you go in the door, walk PAST the big dias, eventually head up the stairs, and then look on that platform for the switch. I think it's a blue switch near the edge of the platform, facing the helm.

But that's based on memory from a week or two ago, so...meh.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 04/30/06 11:13 PM

Pib, I'm doing the Collector quest right now and I am stuck in the ruin called called Sardavar Leed. I'm in the second level and have killed the necromancer adept who is in the section with the locked gates. I have searched that area thoroughly and can't find the statue. Do you remember anything about obtaining this statue? I am tearing my hair out. help

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/01/06 05:39 PM

Threads, I'm a little stuck on the Dark Fissure quest. I found the Dark Fissure but now what? If you figure out what "watch mysterious lights" means, let me know. I thought maybe it was an eclipse but I can't get the quest to progress. If you find out what the next trigger is, let me know.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/01/06 06:02 PM

Tamia, all you have to do is wait for a Worm Anchorite to come out of the wooden door and worship at the altar for the King of Worms to change ordinary soul gems into black soul gems. I hid behind a rock from where I could see both door and altar. Got there early so went through the day waiting an hour at a time. When the clock showed 11:45 I thought "Ah, the witching hour approaches" and just stood and waited.

The Anchorite arrived at midnight He approached the altar but didn't see me. Was supposed to watch the ritual and report back - didn't actual SEE the ritual but the game flashed the information I had and should report back. I fast travelled away like a stroke of lightning.

Have a strange feeling I might have to revisit at a later date laugh

Alice

*Edit* If you have to fight and kill the anchorite before he reaches the altar don't worry. Apparently he has a note on his body that details what the necromancers are up to - Polus will accept that in lieu of witnessing the ritual.
Posted By: Carolin

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/01/06 06:11 PM

Rowan, I have never found any statue there. Try to contiune with the others.
The questgiver always talks about getting the ten statues together, but the S.G mentions 11 ruins to find statues.

Caroline.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/01/06 09:17 PM

Thanks, Caroline. I've been continuing with the other ruins but am not finished yet.

I had a nice surprise. I "lost" my priory horse some time ago and thought he was dead because he no longer fast travelled with me. Today I visited the priory and there was the horse in the stable. :kiss:

Tamia, I believe the strange lights above the altar happen just once a week. I would set the time close to midnight and then cycle through a few 24 hr periods until the lights shine.

Off to another dungeon and another statue for the collector.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/01/06 10:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Caroline. I've been continuing with the other ruins but am not finished yet.

I had a nice surprise. I "lost" my priory horse some time ago and thought he was dead because he no longer fast travelled with me. Today I visited the priory and there was the horse in the stable. :kiss:
That's cool. So far Shadowmere has twice decided to return to Fort Farragut. It's usually my fault cause he insists on battling with me and in the confusion woozy , it's easy to hit the horse and not the enemy. cry I may have to adopt a policy of 'if Shadowmere is fighting, wait till he faints' which means that anything left standing is enemy.

I collected another statue for that one quest - the Ninendava way out north of Chorrol. I wish those statues looked nicer, very dull and ugly looking to me. (Note to self - mod?)

This wiki says As a note, There are NONE in: Sardavar Leed

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/02/06 06:03 AM

I'm in Anvil now working on mages quests and fighter's guild quests. On the fighters guild one where you kill the mountain lions that are attacking the woman's pet rats, she tells you Quill, a neighbor, is who she suspects. According to the SG if you wait on the western side of the woman's yard, near a bush, the one she suspects of doing something to the rats will come a little before 8:00 pm to put down meat. You have to be very careful she doesn't see you or she won't put it down.

Well, I've waited there several times, have tried both the eastern and western sides, have started at 7:30 so as not to miss her and stayed till 9:00 pm, and still haven't seen her. Does anyone remember this one? I sure do need the money!

Jean
Posted By: Pokey

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/02/06 06:17 AM

I followed her for quite a while. Finally she went into sneak mode and put the meat down. I believe she does it after 9PM. Did you talk to her first?

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/02/06 07:28 AM

Hi Pokey. Thanks! No, I haven't talked to her yet. I guess I'll try again tomorrow. Did you wait for her near the yard or follow her from her house?

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/02/06 08:44 AM

Right after I talked to her, she started walking around the town. I followed her till she started sneaking and then hid by the wall in the bushes, where I could see the opening. I think you need to try later than you did.
Posted By: Barb

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/02/06 09:38 AM

Help! I'm lost in Glademist Cave! I've completed all the Fighters Guild quests & got promoted to champion. Then Oreyn told me to go to Glademist & kidnap Ajum Kajin. I've been searching the cave for a couple of days now & I can't find a way to the area he's in. I can see a passage to the east, but I can't find any way to get to it. It doesn't help that I can't find any torches, so I'm wandering around in the dark! frown

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Barb

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/02/06 12:03 PM

Barb, I haven't gotten to that, yet, but one thing I discovered about the caves is that if on the map it looks like there is someplace I should be able to go and I can't find it, it usually means it is on a higher or lower level than what I am on. Look for a way up or down. Sometimes it's difficult to see on the maps.

Do you have the nighteye spell or potion? That would make it easier on you.

Jean
Posted By: Milee10

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/02/06 08:17 PM

This is just a tip for everyone looking for torches. If you have joined the Mage's Guild, get yourself to one of the Enchanting Alters in the Arcane University and Enchant any item that is wearable with the "Night Eye" spell (as long as you have some kind of LEARNED Night Eye spell in your magic menu). It will be a constant effect when your done. Wearable items never have to be recharged either. I enchanted a pair of greaves that I can take off and on. You'll never need another torch! I did the same thing when I played MW. One of the best and easiest enchantments you can get, with a cost of only 100 gold.

Marilyn thumbsup

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/03/06 12:16 AM

Quote:
I think I've heard of that main quest too!

I don't sneak through caves, as I said ealier, I go crashing through, sword swinging at anything in my way! smile

I'm in the ruins looking for the mage sent to spy on the necromancers. There are cages over the Varla stones. Where is the stupid switch to raise the cages? Can't find it anywhere. I've even gone swimming looking for it! Help!

And a question for everyone:

Where do you live? In Oblivion, I mean. smile
I'm house shopping. Where do you suggest buying a house?
The first house I bought was the shack in the Imperial City. Cheap and central to the main shops. I also have a mansion in Anvil and a place in Leyawiin.

The things to raise the cages around Varla stones are usually blocks that you push in with a bright blue stone in the center. They can be in different rooms, and sometimes on a level overlooking the area with the Varla stone.

Crashing through with sword swinging is a perfectly legit method of exploration. As is walking around with an arsenal of spells at the ready. smile I like slowly stalking through a dungeon, watching for the slightest movement then shoot to kill.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/03/06 05:33 AM

Tamia, I think the best house for the money is the lovely mansion in Anvil - 5,000 gold and no need to furnish. The basement is a little creepy, though.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/03/06 06:03 AM

Does anyone else have the problem of trying to decide whether they want to use a sword or a bow? I'm a battlemage and have to use weapons, but since I can't make up my mind I'm carrying a couple of each, which is really weighing me down. Maybe I need to buy a house to store stuff in.

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/03/06 07:02 AM

Buying a house for storage is a good idea, but upping your strength is also an option. wink

I use both a sword and bow, with the bow being my assassin's weapon of choice. Instead of a longsword I carry a deadric shortsword with an enchantment on it - it weighs far, far less than the equivalent longsword and packs almost as much wallop.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/03/06 02:16 PM

Ok, found the buttons. Thanks! smile New problem. Is there a way to get rid of the vampire hunters in the mage quest without killing them? I just want them to leave town, but they won't even when I kill the vampires.
Posted By: Skyros

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/03/06 04:13 PM

Quote:
Ok, found the buttons. Thanks! smile New problem. Is there a way to get rid of the vampire hunters in the mage quest without killing them? I just want them to leave town, but they won't even when I kill the vampires.
There seems to be a bug with that quest. I first informed the vampire hunters where the vampires where hiding. If you wait 3 days the hunters will attack the vampire haven, but I single handed wiped out the vampires which seems to have caused a bug since the hunters never understood that the vampires where all extinct, that left me no other choice than to kill the hunters too.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/03/06 05:56 PM

Huh. When I played, I killed the vampires and collected all their vampire dust. I think there were seven vampires, so I got seven pieces of vampire dust. When I showed all the dust to the hunters, they left after complaining about how I should have left things to the professionals.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/03/06 06:14 PM

Tamia - this game appears to work differenly for everyone.

I sneaked after the Boss Vampire Hunter as he knew the way to the cave and I didn't. Hung back in sneak mode and followed all three through the cave. They rounded a corner and there was quite a ding-dong going on. When all was quiet I crept round the corner to discover all the hunters had been dispatched. There were also a couple of vampires lying around.

I continued on until the game told me the last of the vampires were dead - then I went outside and fast travelled back to report.

Am making a habit of calling at a town which has a temple near an entrance to get myself cleansed before reporting.

Tomorrow I start the double quest for the Mage Guild to recover the helmet and the amulet. Know where the helmet is, <when I find the fort> but haven't a clue where the amulet might be.

Have started finding the odd varia stone which come in handy.

Good night everyone, happy gaming.

Alice

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/03/06 06:54 PM

I'm not going to install the Beta patch. They suggest not doing it if your able to play the game without much difficulty. Think I read that when they come out with the finished patch, people may have to reinstall the game. If that's the case I won't be patching the game at all this time around. I may have a few glitches here and there, but nothing serious enough to stop my progress (yet).

Marilyn laugh

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/03/06 10:43 PM

Quote:
I did what the SG suggested and told the hunters where to find the vampires. It took them another day to actually decide to get to that cave. A couple of hours later (game time) I am told all the vampire hunters are dead. I went to the cave and killed the rest of the vampires. They weren't terribly good hunters...

The other method the SG suggested is to show them vampire dust from the cave. You only need one in your inventory for it to work.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/04/06 10:53 PM

What's the name of the cave the vampires are in for the Mage's quest? I haven't gotten to it, yet, but I did partially clear a cave in my explorations earlier. I hope I didn't mess up a mission.

I'm at home so I don't remember the name. I did kill some vampire hunters and vampires, but I know there were more left because I ran away!

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/04/06 10:58 PM

It was called something like Blood Crust cave or something similar. It is just outside Skingrad.

I'm redoing that quest and gave the hunters info on where they are found without asking questions about the locations of the hunters. I'm waiting to see how that works out.

I don't know for sure, but I'm wondering if the right bad guys will be in cave when a quest calles for it, even if you've been in there before. And important people can't be killed, so that gives hope that you can't "ruin" a quest.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/05/06 12:41 AM

Thanks, Tamia! Then I haven't been to that cave. The one I was in was near Imperial City.

Good luck on finishing the quest this time around. luck

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/05/06 01:26 AM

Luck is what I need! I still can't get the quest to end!

I let the vampire hunters kill the vampires in the cave, watched them leave the cave and they just hang around town. Talking to him gives no new conversations. Nothing like, well they are all gone now, or anything. It just has the option to ask what they are doing. I've tried waiting for days and they just hang around town.

I don't know how to get rid of them short of outright murder, which my character does not want to do. But she just may get frustrated enough!

Edit: I started over and went to the cave first, then talked the hunters and then I had the choice to tell him the vampires were dead and show him the dust. Whew! woozy

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/05/06 10:42 AM

Hi all,

Glad that it worked for you Tamia...phew.

In my game I told the hunters about the cave and then waited 2 or was it 3 days and then went to the cave to discover that the hunters were all dead and some vampires as well.

I read in the SG that this quest could work in more then one way.

I tried to put loot on the horse but nothing was happening except that you get onto the
horse to ride.

I don

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/05/06 01:49 PM

Hi - can anyone enlighten me if this is a glitch or not, please.

Have finsihed the Mage's Quests and returned to the Mage's lobby where I was welcomed as the new Arch-Mage. Every thing normal!

Went up to the room at the top, investigated every thing which now belonged to me, then slept on the bed. Leveled up. Normal. Then had my first visit from the Dsrk Brother Hood. Normal.

Then a very strange thing happened. Since leaving my new apartment all animated life forms are seen through a violet mist. Is this to show I am now the boss of the Mage's Guild or a glitch? Hope it's the latter - don't want to live the rest of my life in the game not being able to recognize anyone until I have my nose up against theirs.

Still need to do some thing about the Fighter's Guild and The Thieves Guild. Am an associate of both although not sure which to tackle first.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/05/06 04:26 PM

Hi Threads:

Did you equip something with the "Detect Life" spell? That's what it sounds like. You'll have to unequip it and just use it when needed.

I had detect life gauntlets and they drove me crazy for the same reason. They're useful in caves and ruins, but everywhere else are a pain because you can't see people until you get close to them.

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/05/06 07:58 PM

Tamia, in answer to your question about caves, I have twice been in caves that were empty of people but have come back later for a quest and found the appropriate people present.

I suspect that this was in response to the issue in Morrowind where it was possible to mess up quests badly by entering the wrong cave too early. On the other hand, in Morrowind there were multiple paths to become head of a guild, so the odd mistake wasn't fatal. In Oblivion there is only one path of quests to get you to the top, so it's essential that it not be possible to mess up in this fashion. I suspect that the only way you can totally mess up a guild quest is by murdering named people in cold blood. And would-be Dark Brotherhood members should beware of who they choose to be their first victim.

I'm certainly just cruising around and I have not encountered any guild-ending problems, which is not to say that I won't find one eventually.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/06/06 04:33 PM

Well, now have cleared the haunted house in Anvil and settled in. Dealt with the Gang and halfway through the Forlorn Watchman puzzle in Bravil. But dashed if I can find a way to contact any of the Thieves Guild to obtain quests.

Have been dealing with the fence in Bruma for ages, he has made a fortune out of me, but never tells me how to contact Armand Christophe or S'krivva.

BTW - as I was in Bruma decided to do something about Raynil Dralas. I killed him in the Boreal Stone Cave and brought back the amulet - completed this in about 5 game hours tops. The guard in charge was pleased I'd succeded but insisted on taking a posse of guards to prevent him escaping duh The dialogue would not allow me to state he had been dispatched. So went to talk to Bradon's wife who understood Raynil was dead, accepted the amulat and gave it back to me as a Phylactery of Lithness - can't find the thing in my inventory.

As I can't become the new Gray Fox without doing those quests first, I'll load the game and help the Forlorn Watchman.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/06/06 06:15 PM

Pib rotfl There's nothing like being a recognizable thief.

Threads, the Forlorn Watchman has some tough faded wraiths in it, so be prepared! They will use spells on you (particularly "silence") so keep some dispel potions handy. luck

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/06/06 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by threads:
But dashed if I can find a way to contact any of the Thieves Guild to obtain quests.

Have been dealing with the fence in Bruma for ages, he has made a fortune out of me, but never tells me how to contact Armand Christophe or S'krivva.
Armand can be contacted by going back to the garden where you joined the thieves guild anytime after midnight and before about 5 in the morning. He'll be back there every night unless something happens. He's the contact for the first few of the guild "Special jobs". He'll tell you when to move to S'krivva.

[add] finally done - more or less - an epic game review for an epic game PiB\'s review of Oblivion [/add]

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/07/06 02:06 AM

I'm really, really stuck on a quest. I have four of the Tears, but I cannot find the fifth one. I have been back to the site several times over the past month, real time, to look for it, but I haven't found it. I've probably spent over three hours in total. Obviously I need this to complete the quest.

I suspect that it's on the icy mound in the middle of the ice, because I'vee been over every square inch of the surrounding flat are. Does anyone know exactly where it is?

Or, failing that, does anyone know how to cheat it in? I feel I've given this quest more than enough time and want to move it along at this point.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/07/06 03:22 AM

When I did that mission, there was at least one on that mound. I think the other four were scattered in various places on the ice.

Of course, it helped that I had 25% magicka resistance and 25% frost absorption at the time...

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/07/06 05:18 AM

Yes, I think I can see the one on the mound, but I can't pick it up. I found searching at night helps a bit - less glare on the ice.

Oh well, it's not an important quest. I just wanted it out of my journal.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/07/06 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hagatha:
Yes, I think I can see the one on the mound, but I can't pick it up. I found searching at night helps a bit - less glare on the ice.

Oh well, it's not an important quest. I just wanted it out of my journal.
To get that last one, you need to do a bit of rockhopping to get up and close enough to grab it. There's another rock you can hop on a bit west of the one that the tear is on.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/07/06 09:49 PM

Frustration time again.

I'm in the Anvil gate and have been running around this tower forever.

I am at what appears to be the top looking just like the other two gates I closed with a white light thingy in the middle.

The map shows me to be at Lust Keep with two Rune Portals that just take me back and forth to each other and two doors leading to Siullum Sangus that also don't take me anywhere.

I'm going crazy trying to figure out where to go to close this @#$% Gate.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/08/06 01:27 AM

Boy do I feel stupid. I was there all the time. That Siulum Sangus thingy led me right to the stone that closed the gate when I turned the right way and quit going around in circles.

Guess I was having a senior moment.

Anyway the gate is now closed and I still feel stupid.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/08/06 03:29 AM

I got stuck in, I think it was, the Bruma Gate. Round and round and round. Thought I'd gone through every door and checked everything out. Turns out all I had to do was go around one corner I hadn't checked out.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/08/06 04:11 AM

I never did get the Bruma gate closed. I covered every inch several times and finally decided that maybe I wasn't supposed to be there yet. Guess I probably missed that last corner.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/08/06 04:26 AM

Pokey, you do have to close it, as it's part of the main quest. But you can always go back. It's something to do with those levers that control the big gates outside. I was getting frustrated at not being able to go up any higher in the central tower but went back into the main tower, and the next door I tried was the right one, because there was a hallway with a bend I hadn't noticed, and up I went. Who knows why it was so hard to find? Problem solved, anyway.

To ensure that I don't kill anyone important in a cave, I sneak up behind them first, find out whether or not they have a name, and if not -- well you can guess the rest. If I were a mage apprentice or a necromancer, and knew that an uber-assasin was on the loose, I'd stick a post-it note on my back with my name on it.

Ah, the advantages of having sneaked virtually all the way through the game. Although it takes some of the challenge out when nothing can see you. I've never appreciated the backstab so much! Especially with a nice little dab of poison on the tip of Sufferthorn.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/09/06 05:38 AM

Where are the game saves stored?

I don't see them in the Oblivion folder. My game's getting sluggish at 980 saves and I'd like to delete some of them before the whole thing locks up on me.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/09/06 06:07 AM

The Oblivion saves are in My Documents>My Games>Oblivion.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/09/06 06:40 AM

Thanks.

My strength is at 131 and my agility at 108, but I'm loaded up with enchanted items. I should try taking them all off and see what the attributes really are.

I'm now the head of the Mage guild and am absolutely astonished that they would consider me. I'm a novice in four of the magic schools and can't use most spells. That doesn't seem right. At least in Morrowind you had to have a certain amount of competence. This is just silly. I would say that's the first thing in this game that I've found disappointing. I liked having to become proficient in magic first. I suppose in this world the Arch Mage can just hire minions to cast her spells for her.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/09/06 08:18 AM

Hi,

To date I have not come across an Oblivion gate <tempting fate saying that> Is there a special point when they appear.

Saved games - perhaps I'm doing this incorrectly - I go into load a game, scroll down to those I want to delete and delete them from there. Takes time.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/09/06 08:23 AM

I've run into a problem with the Necromancer's Moon quest. I can't give Raminus Polus the note that Bothiel gave to me. There is no option in the dialogue. Anybody have an idea how to get by this? I have tried several times with the same result.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/09/06 09:00 AM

Quote:
Hi,

To date I have not come across an Oblivion gate <tempting fate saying that> Is there a special point when they appear.
Yes, you have to go fetch Martin from Kvatch. Until then, no gates appear.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/09/06 11:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Pib, perhaps I'll avoid it for a short while longer laugh

Back to the game - hope to steal back the Countess's ring after midnight evil
wink Detect life magic is very useful for this sort of quest. Makes avoiding the guards much much easier.

Major spoiler
If you do move Martin out of Kvatch - then leave after you get him resettled, you'll get random smallish Oblivion gates but the major action requires further advancement of that set of quests. The smaller gates are optional, but loaded with good loot. So you can do that, then return to your normal quests. smile

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/10/06 11:50 AM

Hi all,

Sounds like we are all doing great. smile

I just finished the Vampire in Imperial City Quest and got a Resist Disease Ring out of it and am now a Vampire Hunter hehe. smile

Also if I bring him Vampre Dust he will pay me I think it was 250 in gold.

You should not be afraid to go after the Vampires because you have about 3 days before you turn into one. You can go to any temple altar and get rid of your disease before time runs out or make sure you carry a potion for cure disease with you at all times.

I always carry the potion with me even if one of my ladies has a natural resistance to disease.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/10/06 07:47 PM

Ok, I'd like to give sneaking a try. Do I have to take it off of "Run" to get more in the sneak skill? I'm always in run mode and when I try sneaking I can't ever seem to increase my skill. Can I just walk around sneaking to increase it?

Meanwhile, I'm now a warrior in the arena.
smile

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/10/06 08:36 PM

Tamia, I started sneaking in the Imperial Prison sewers at the start of the game and make a point of being in sneak mode any time I'm not actually talking to someone.

I don't know if running decreases the pace at which the skill increases but my sneak skill is now very high even with all the running. The only thing I've noticed about "sneak running" is that enemies are a little more likely to notice me. But sneaking is best done in the lightest shoes you can find - even Light Armour boots will increase your chances of being detected.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/10/06 10:39 PM

Quote:
[QB] Ok, I'd like to give sneaking a try. Do I have to take it off of "Run" to get more in the sneak skill? I'm always in run mode and when I try sneaking I can't ever seem to increase my skill. Can I just walk around sneaking to increase it?
/QB]
The SG says the sneak skill increases most when you are sneaking around and there is someone there who may detect it. Just follow a guard around town and sneak is supposed to do it. I found that sneak increases very fast when you are exploring a ruin or cave.

Light armor - robes and light shoes or none is definitely the way to go at first. An expert can run in sneak without too much chance of detection. My sneak skill is now 100% so I have had enemies run right past me in a cave after being shot and they still can't find me.

I'm only ever in run mode when travelling. I hate trying to fight and realising the reason I can't hit anything is that I'm still running as well. smile

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/11/06 04:42 AM

I've been buying houses and am trying to figure out which one I like best. For those who want to invest in a little real estate:

The mansion in Anvil is nice, but has a creepy basement. The house is Bruma is cosy but sort of plain, like a cottage. The house in Leyawin was a huge disappointment - it's a rathole, even fully decorated and at large expense I might add. Whoo! High property values there. For that price I was expecting one of the nicer places.

The mansion in Chorrol is lovely, as is the large house in Cheydinhal. I'm going to see what I can get in Skindgrad. I hesitate to invest in a home by the sewers in Bravil, but I might as well check it out since I'm on a buying spree.

So far my favourite is Cheydinhal. It's at once cosy and luxurious. And a heck of a lot nicer than sleeping in the Brotherhood (now renamed Sisterhood) cellars.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/11/06 11:40 AM

HELP, help, help

Have just spent 2 game days on Fort Grief. Searched every nook and cranny above ground - and searched all around the perimeter under water. Dashed if I can find a way in - and the gate is locked.

The S.G suggests I should kill three hunters and take the key to the gate from them. Obviously there must be a hidey-hole somewhere on the isle and it is not showing itself.

While you lads and lasses over the Big Pond are still sleeping I think I might re-load and search everywhere wearing my Life detect gauntlets. Have a strong feeling the entrance might be beneath the waves.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/11/06 12:34 PM

Hi Alice:

Is that the one where you are supposed to go and find out what happened to the woman's husband? If so, when you get there you have to open the gate via a switch found on the island. I think it's to the left. Inside you'll talk to the missing husband. You'll find the 3 hunters inside the ruins one by one.

Edited to say: Once you leave the island, DO NOT teleport yourself back. Always take the boat. I teleported myself back once, and the game wouldn't let me teleport myself off. I had to go back to a saved game.

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/11/06 05:04 PM

Alice, I couldn't find it either. It is right beside the door--in plain sight!

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/11/06 06:28 PM

Alice, a lot of us couldn't seem to see it. It is a few feet to the right of the door on the ground.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/11/06 10:48 PM

I'm taking a break from shutting Oblivion gates and looking for Shadowbane wine instead. Man, it's so relaxing to go into a fort and only face Conjurers, Necromancers or ordinary undead for a bit happydance ! I picked up my first two bottles during the Fort Grief quest (the bane of Alice wink ) and just found my second two bottles at another fort east of Bravil. One more fort and I can go claim my reward. I think I'll pick one of the vampire caves, selling the dust is quite profitable. Vampires tend to be easy pickings with a magic bow and 3x sneak bonus.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/11/06 11:03 PM

Heck, just about ANYthing is easy with a magic or Deadric bow and some poison of Paralyse and a good sneak bonus! Trouble is, I'm not so happy when something gets back up and sees me.....

I haven't found that wine yet. Time to go looking for it, once I sort out that Blackwood Company.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/12/06 01:45 AM

Quote:
Heck, just about ANYthing is easy with a magic or Deadric bow and some poison of Paralyse and a good sneak bonus! Trouble is, I'm not so happy when something gets back up and sees me.....
The Oblivion gates aren't nearly so easy for me. The opponents there don't tend to die from a single shot and then it starts getting ugly. I need a more effective poison (or perhaps recharging my bow a bit more often?) for them. On the other hand, they've encouraged me to be a *lot* faster reloading that bow.

Had a really bizarre thing happen last night. I was in the market district when suddenly the Guards started attacking something. At first I thought a daedric lizard thing was there, but after the first minute, it looked like the guards were busy attacking each other. That got just too weird for me and I ran for the exit!

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/12/06 07:15 AM

Yes, I deleted about 750 game saves last night. Things are running a lot faster now.

In the Oblivion Gates my Deadric bow is still my weapon of choice, but if there is more than one Deadra standing around I absolutely have to use a paralyse potion or at least a damage health or magica potion, and start shooting really really fast. In true cowardly fashion I've also learned to shoot with deadly accuracy from a long, long way away. At one time I made about 15 potions that both paralysed and damaged magica, and they were really effective but I can't remember what I used to make them.

I've been in the market district a few times when all heck broke loose but the ruckus always turns out to be about someone that's carrying a volume of Mythic Dawn commentaries. Don't know why they think it's a smart idead to transform themselves in the middle of a busy distric with soldiers standing around, though. Obviously on suicide missions, or very stupid. laugh

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/12/06 02:28 PM

Am wondering.......did one of you dispatch Shum-gro-Yarug at some time or other?

Have been working all the morning on the Lost Histories Quest for the Thieves Guild. Doing it over and over again but this Orc is nowhere he should be. Searched the castle, have turned up at the West Weald Inn at 10am and been in the Colodian Trader at noon. He never turns up. Have a feeling I'm going to get myself put in Jail.

Woe is me.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/12/06 04:38 PM

I don't recall having any trouble finding him. Don't you have a marker on your map to track him down? He probably has a room at the castle, where you could catch him asleep in the middle of the night.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/12/06 05:18 PM

Pokey, I could not find a room in the castle but the S.G advises going to jail as the best way - sounds interesting - so am on my way back to the castle to pinch an apple laugh

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/12/06 05:38 PM

Last night I spent most of my gaming time selling loot from the Mages Vampire Hunters/feral Vampires quest. I haven't reported to the Count in castle skinguard yet...hope the quest completes correctly. I used 3 of my 4 cure diesase potions and I'm still a human being. whew.

Suddenly I have enough money to think about buying a better house. Early on I bought a very cheap house in Bravil (the only city/house Hagatha left me! laugh ).

Its a shack and the furnishings are trashy thrift shop at best. (My 900+ dollars for kitchen stuff bought me 2 spoons, forks, plates and a covered dish...ball park prices!... and when ever I get home and throw my loot on the floor before jumping into bed to rest all those things fall off the table---its that small of a place!)

BUT I've oddly grown fond of the place...I've got my stuff all organized in the storage and I've put stuff around to see. I know all my nieghbors really well and I know what everyone in town is doing when and who I'll see on my jaunt from the city gate to my home. I've even reloaded or gone back to old saves a couple of times so City Swimmer's pitaful pick pocketing doesn't get her killed by the guards (she dies for a pear...I looked once). Oddly I really have a fondness for the lizard people, even since I saved that kid in Hackenville (Sp?), I just like them when I talk to them.

But sadly I think its time to move on to a new town and see some new sights. A house in every town is my eventual goal, just for fun....but maybe I'll skip Leyawin on you all's advice.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/12/06 06:31 PM

Well, my recommendation would be for the mansion in Anvil, since it's only 5,000 and has an easy quest associated with it. It comes fully and comfortably furnished and has a well-stocked wine cellar, a study and a balcony overlooking the better part of town -- everything the well-heeled adventurer could possibly want. There are some spiders in the basement, though.

Oh - and, you might have a little trouble sleeping that first night in your new bed.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/12/06 06:59 PM

Ha! I just bought that house! smile I just "slept" there. I'm in the middle of taking care of the occupants. Wasn't sure if you got to keep it at the end of the quest, but it sounds like you can.

BTW- does anyone just happen to know where I can find an open lock spell for hard and average locks? I only have very easy and easy lock spells. I'm terrible at the lockpick "game".

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/12/06 08:56 PM

Tamia, if you are far enough along to do the Daedric quests, try Nocturnal. The reward is a skeleton key!! I was always breaking my last lockpick while deep in a cave or dungeon and was so determined to get that key! bravo Someone here mentioned it a while ago and I never forgot as I have been rotten at lockpicking since the "git go". laugh

Nipomo, try to find someone who sells the Cure Disease spell. If you like going after Vampires, it's a handy thing to have! wave Seems there is some other dread disease I contracted at one point, too.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/12/06 11:10 PM

Tamia, when you finish the quest you can have the house lock stock and basement. I went down to clean it all up recently, thinking I might put in a bar and a pool table, but unfortunately there are some things down there that can't be removed. And I haven't been able to find a carpenter willing to go down there to install a door. Still I suppose a few old dead things and a sacrificial altar shouldn't bother the head of the Assassin's Guild, who has a mouldering cellar for a head office, after all and an evil god for a boss.

If the locks are giving you fits just use the autopick function and save before each try. That will level up your skill just as fast as picking the frustrating traditional way.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/12/06 11:27 PM

Quote:

If the locks are giving you fits just use the autopick function and save before each try. That will level up your skill just as fast as picking the frustrating traditional way.
Agreed, before I did Nocturne's quest, I just carried 100 lockpicks before any major dungeon crawl and did autopick. Until my skill got into the apprentice range, the tumblers always fell too fast for me.

I have found that the big fuss in the marketplace is indeed Mystic Dawn agents coming out of the woodwork now that I've exposed the Dagon Shrine. It happened in Cheynidal as well, and about 1 minute after a mob killed the agent, a guard came by and said "The body is still warm. The killer must be close" which was funny cause I suspect that he was one of the mob who killed the agent.

I was a bit peeved at the Count of Cheynidal last night. I had just rescued his son and closed the gate outside his city. I went to talk to him about buying a house and what was his disposition toward me like? About 23! Sheesh, what does a girl have to do to impress him? rotfl

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/13/06 01:31 AM

Speaking of what a girl has to do to impress people in Oblivion, I really miss the wolf whistles I used to get in Morrowind. Now those were probably directed at my shining armour and robes but still, ya gotta feel good about it, you know? Now people tell me to go brew up some potions, like I was an old hag (oh wait - I am an old hag).

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/13/06 03:36 AM

rotfl I remember that, hagatha! I'm playing as a guy this time and was thinking the other day I miss playing as a woman and all the attention I got. Now that I know there's not that much here anyway, I don't feel so bad.

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/13/06 01:50 PM

rotfl I completed the Lost Histories Quest, and returned to S'krivva with the book. Then accepted the next quest before realizing I was still wearing my Prison Uniform - and very little in the inventory. So will have to get myself back to the jail and look for my belongings. Anyone any idea where I will find them? Would be kinda nice to wear some armour and have a weapon to use - also want my spells etc back cry

Alice

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/13/06 10:23 PM

Your stuff theoretically would be in a chest in the prison - but unfortunately the chests "reset" after a certain amount of time. I learned this the hard way when I put all my master level alchemy equipment and ingredients in the Arch-Mage's chest.

I hope your stuff is still there. But if it isn't you can always take your revenge by stealing everything in sight.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/14/06 03:53 AM

I now am a proud property owner of houses in all cities bar Chorrol and Skingrad.

I also recently realised that my profile only has me as owning one horse, I effectively have three. Prior's Paint Horse went home when I bought a black horse. My Black horse is currently at the stable outside of Cheydinhal because I'm riding Shadowmere. All three are perfectly legal for me to ride! It also means that if you're missing a horse, you might want to check the home (or purchase) stable for said animal before you restore an older save game.

Alice, I thought that the guards were meant to return everything but your stolen items? Everything you owned was stolen?

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/14/06 11:05 AM

Ah, Pib, I was in sneak mode trying to get Amusei out of the castle without being caught - didn't think about looking for my gear. Did pinch several bottles of wine on the way laugh

Alice

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/14/06 11:17 AM

Hi all,

This is why I downloaded houses for myself. The stuff I leave in the chests, barrels, cupboards, desk or lectern stays where I left it. It does not disappear on me.

Did you know that if you join the guilds that you always have a place to sleep for free?

I believe the chests in the guilds may respawn because you get equipment for free and the one at the Arch Mage's is for free ingredients once a week when you place one you will get more of the same.

If you are the boss of the Fighters Guild...the chest you have there is for your pay and should not be used for anything else either.

I have yet to look into it and find my pay...hmmm.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/14/06 01:38 PM

Well happydance I may wind up being the lowest level leader in the history of the Mage Guild lol I'm right now standing in front of an altar at the Dark Fissure that I think I need to come back to because it's missing a sign (no heavenly lights) I'm going to advance some days (well nights) and see if I can get something to happen.

I came across some rocks with writing on them (it was red writing I think) Anyway, it said something about Hester something or other - I touched it and wound up glowing for a few minutes - then it went away. Hope I didn't mess up a quest somewhere along the way. I touched it again and it said something about "stones sleep during the day" think

That pretty much is the extent of my progress to date. Still have my hovel errr house at the Waterfront in the Imperial City. I think I'll just keep it - It's just me and I really don't need a bigger place - besides, I hate housework laugh

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/14/06 05:53 PM

Syd, I arrived very early at that altar - then advanced time hour by hour. 15 minutes before midnight I was behind a rock where I could see both altar and cave entrance. Watched Worm Anchorite leave cave and come to altar (didn't see much of a light) but the moment the chap reached the altar my game flashed me a sign saying I'd watched the ritual - get back and report. So I scarpered. Really I didn't witness anything of the ritual.

Alice laugh

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/14/06 06:23 PM

Syd, those big stones grant you certain things like increased ability and Deadric armour if you touch them at night. The spells cast by the stones last for a little while then wear off - at least the ones I've tried did. I haven't discovered any quest associated with them, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/14/06 10:55 PM

There are some things that I would never ever find without the SG. Yesterday, I was closing the Chorrol gate. There is a special area you have to cross lava to get to. But if you are willing to take the risk, you can get some extra special equipment - Hatred's Heart and Hatred's Soul. One is a mace, the other a bow. Nicely enchanted too. The bow comes with a few (far too few) enchanted Soul Catching arrows.

To cross lava, I had on my water walking boots, and went into full run/jump mode. Still lost a few points, but not too many. There is absolutely no way I would have gone there if I hadn't read about those goodies!

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/15/06 03:51 AM

Heeellllpppp! (I think.) I went to the Skingard Mages Guild to pick up my next assignment. I got it, then went upstairs to sleep. In the middle of the night it told me I had a dream about vampires -- something about the face was mine -- and when I woke I had Vampire attributes and Hunter's Vision. Does that mean I'm a vampire now? I hope not. How can I be a vampire in the Mage's Guild. Maybe it just means I have those attributes now.

My eyes are not deep red anymore, but pink. AAGGGGHHHH. Tell me it isn't so!

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/15/06 04:33 AM

Oh, gosh, Jean. Can you remember getting bit while doing battle with a vampire? Check your journal and see if it shows how many days you have spent as a vampire, if any. That will be one way to determine your status. eek

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/15/06 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JMK:
Does that mean I'm a vampire now? I hope not. How can I be a vampire in the Mage's Guild. Maybe it just means I have those attributes now.
It does sound suspiciously like you are. Why can't there be vampires in the Mage's Guild - it's not like you're a Necromancer. wink There is one Count who is a vampire. There is a vampire in the DB.

Sounds like you have a new quest coming up. In the meantime...avoid sunlight.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/15/06 06:30 AM

Uh uh. Not me! No way, No how! I went back and reloaded a game from the night before and then went and got cured. Whew!! They ain't got me yet!

I do remember fighting vampires, and I did contract the disease, but I had a "heal disease" potion with me that I thought cured me. I guess it didn't. rotfl

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/15/06 06:59 AM

Next time RUN for the nearest Temple!

Now, I had absolutely no idea that I had become a vampire until it was far, far too late to do anything about it. I slept in sewers and I slithered up to sleeping beggars to eat. I dashed from pillar to post on the poor little Paint Horse with the sunlight nipping at my heels. And just about the time I found everything I needed for the cure, I began to like my life in the dark. Still, I gave it up because it was having a serious impact on my ability to roam around freely.

If I knew that another cure potion could be brewed up for me, I would quite happily spend another few weeks as a vampire - having to watch the time and plan every move gives the game an addded layer.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/15/06 11:04 AM

Hi all,

It is probably a good idea to drink the cure potion and also to visit the temple for insurance.

I don't like Vampires or Werewolves either so always make sure I have a cure disease potion handy and visit the Temples.

I also keep backup copies of my saves in another folder so if I had to use them....I would have them handy.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/15/06 08:19 PM

Ah oh - I'd best be visiting a temple then because I got bit by a vamp also but thought I was cured with the cure disease potion.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/15/06 10:44 PM

Hmm, I have contracted the vampire disease at least once, but the Cure Disease potion did the trick for me. I've also been diseased by rats, zombies and probably something else. At least one of the diseases was pretty nasty in that it drained Magicka and kept you from ever regenerating any more.

Most diseases have some effect that will show up in your list of current effects (the last tab in the magic menu area).

Of course, some things manage to damage an attribute, and it's easiest to take care of those at a temple.

Level 31 and there are still two of the 9 divines that I never stumbled across a wayshrine for!

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/16/06 02:36 AM

Cure diesease will work if you have one and drink it in time, for sure. It's just that - well, not everyone carries the right potions all the time (like me, for instance). So if there is no potion handy, the nearest temple is the answer.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/16/06 02:55 AM

I just always have the cure disease spell at the ready when dealing with disease carrying creatures. No weight or expense once purchased. I can't remember where I bought it, but I don't think it requires a very high magica. It has certainly been worth the initial cost for me! eek

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/16/06 03:37 AM

smile I'm having a hard time tracking down people who sell spells that I want to permanently learn. I can definitely benefit from some upgraded spells, but it's so annoying to find the people who can teach them to you.

I now own properties in all cities except Skingrad. And that one I could probably buy - if I spent a couple days getting my loot out of storage and sold! Packrat habits carry over into game time. smile

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/16/06 04:59 AM

I can't find the dude that sells the house in Skingrad. I haven't had much call to be there lately, but as I just took over the Fighter's Guild I have a bit of time now - only the main quest to do and any other little ones that I come across, plus now some cave crawling.

The only real quibble I have with Oblivion is that it doesn't have the huge number of quests that Morrowind had. I feel sort of at loose ends at the moment -- putting off the rest of the main story line for as long as I can. I've taken up casting low level summons at ogres (from a cowardly distance) to up my casting ability so I can try taking on some challenges without my trusty Deadric bow.

...OK I've bought the house in Skingrad. Now I can't decide which house to stash my stuff in. I was putting certain things in each house - armout in Anvil, alchemy gear in Chorrol, weapons in Cheydinal, but that's a bit silly. I must say the place in Skingrad is impressive. But I'll have to drop in on my other places just for a night or two. My husband had a huge laugh the other night when he saw that I had my dark elf sitting beside the fire in the Cheydinal house while I was on the Internet.

Does anyone know if you can actually put things in the display cases safely? I imagine you can since you own the house. I have a few items that would look rather good. smile

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/16/06 11:20 AM

Hi all,

I just found the cure disease spell and Posion and Paralize ( I think). The guy in the Layawiin Temple had them to sell.

Got to go back as soon as I have enough money.

Don't need potions then.

I only drink potions for cure diesease and go to the Temple because I just feel better. Probably don't need to do both but that is just me.

I have been having a lot of fun going into the Oblivion Gates and wondering what the next stone will have to enchant with and how the Gate is going to be set up as to getting to the stone.

One of the stones had constant light effect so my armor was enchanted with that and I now glow in the dark hehe.

In another gate one of the Dremora had a detect life ring so you never know what you will find in there.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/16/06 06:41 PM

Geez, I miss a day or two here and now I'm behind! smile

Going back to what was said earlier:

"Tamia, if you are far enough along to do the Daedric quests, try Nocturnal. The reward is a skeleton key!!"

How do I find the Daedric quests? This sounds like what I need! I just joined the theives guild.

One thing I've been doing to raise my magic skills is buying low level spells and casting them as I run around. I have a small shield spell to raise alteration (for lock picking) and a starlight spell to raise illusion, I think it was. I just keep casting them as I go around doing my thing. The downside is, I now don't have enough magica to perform the spells I want. Guess that will come as I level up.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/16/06 07:00 PM

Tamia, I just picked up the skeleton key. You need to be level 10. The shrine is north of Leyawin, near the road and just west of "County Leyawin" on the map. I was doing well with the autopick, but thought it might be useful in the Oblivion gates.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/16/06 11:04 PM

Hurray, my Armorer skill just hit 50. I can finally repair magic items myself! That's going to save me 2000 to 3000 gold per Oblivion gate. smile

Quote:
One thing I've been doing to raise my magic skills is buying low level spells and casting them as I run around. I have a small shield spell to raise alteration (for lock picking) and a starlight spell to raise illusion, I think it was. I just keep casting them as I go around doing my thing.
That's the best way, but be aware it takes a long long time for any skills that aren't your primary skills to increase. I tried the alteration method but the locks I found went to hard/very hard much faster than my skill did. So I went back to carry 100 lockpicks at a time. rotfl But I could upgrade my feather spell, if I can ever find the person who sells the next level again.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/17/06 12:43 AM

Ok, I'm level uhmm... 13 or 14? I forget. So I'll go look for that. Thanks! My alteration skill level is high enough to use the unlock hard locks spell, but I don't have enough magica. I just leved up so I'll check now. My problem has been I couldn't find enough lock picks! I scrounged whenever I found one. If I have 10 I think I'm doing good. I just joined the thieves guild, so I think I should be able to finally get some from them.

With the feather spell- I discovered that even though I used fast travel to get somewhere with my armload of stuff, the feather spell was as the same amount when I got there. It didn't run out as I traveled. smile Have to test that again!

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/17/06 01:44 AM

Quote:
My problem has been I couldn't find enough lock picks! I scrounged whenever I found one. If I have 10 I think I'm doing good. I just joined the thieves guild, so I think I should be able to finally get some from them.
Yep, your first official fence in Bruma has lockpicks for sale.

As for the Magicka, I think that you have to choose Intelligence on level up to increase that. I have sufficient Magicka for the spells most useful to me so I've decided not to worry. There are some spells I'd like that I can't use, but that's the choice I've made.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/17/06 01:47 AM

I just finished the investigation for the Countess in Chorral, to find out who stole the painting of her husband. I recovered it, but this was not an easy mission! I had to boost everyone's disposition towards me before they answered my questions. Maybe I should invest a few points in personality. whistle Up to now all I've cared about is power.

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/17/06 04:42 AM

And for lockpicks don't forget ole "Shady Sam" who hangs out near the Imperial City wall a short way through and past the stables. There is a big rock you pass and then walk close to the wall and he is always there. He sells 30 at the time so I always stopped by after selling off my goods inside the walls and before I headed off on my next mission. Now I have the skeleton key and is it a wonder! Best piece of equipment in the entire game. lol

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/17/06 03:49 PM

I have the skeleton key but the lockpick minigame still appears at locks. I thought it would just unlock it like I had the key.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/17/06 06:02 PM

Acquiring the skeleton key also raises your security a lot. The lock usually opens in 1-3 tries, but I was surprised when the tumblers showed up.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/17/06 07:12 PM

I have a question. How do you use/enchant with a Sigil Stone?? I only have one so far that I stashed away a long time ago. Picked it up and was surprised when it leveled itself up in my inventory! The stone went from 5 to 25 frost damage in nothing flat. I took it to a Enchanting Alter but it wouldn't show up like the Soulgems do. If it's explained anywhere in the SG, you can just give me a page number. Thank You help !

Marilyn laugh

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/17/06 09:05 PM

I came with a stone question too! I'm having a hard time grasping the importance of the stones with the red and green runes.

I know you get a timed bound weapon with the green runestones. But I can't quite see the real use of it. If you fast travel it gets used up...so you must need to use it close by. Is there anything else to it?? Mostly I guess I should dive into a ruin or fort near by eh?

And the red runestones I can't get the hang of them at all--I've figured out you need to activate them at night....and then what? If I find all of them is there a "reward"?

I really like finding these in my wanderings and I always activate them if I can but I just sort of don't know what to do in a planned sort of way with them...are they conected to all those little shrines in some of the churches (there is the big 9 shrine and then there are many little shrines in a set back horse shoe around it...what are those for?)

Does anyone use them to good purpose or have a handle on what they are all about?

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/17/06 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Milee10:
I have a question. How do you use/enchant with a Sigil Stone?? I only have one so far that I stashed away a long time ago. Picked it up and was surprised when it leveled itself up in my inventory! The stone went from 5 to 25 frost damage in nothing flat.
It may not be explained in the SG cause it's really really simple. Make sure that the stone is in your inventory. Click on stone. It will bring up the enchant item window. If you pick a weapon, you get a damage type spell. If you pick armor or jewelery you get a protect or beneficial spell. Name your new item. Enchant!

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/17/06 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nipomo:

And the red runestones I can't get the hang of them at all--I've figured out you need to activate them at night....and then what? If I find all of them is there a "reward"?

I really like finding these in my wanderings and I always activate them if I can but I just sort of don't know what to do in a planned sort of way with them...are they conected to all those little shrines in some of the churches (there is the big 9 shrine and then there are many little shrines in a set back horse shoe around it...what are those for?)
The one time I activate one of the big Doomstones (I think that's what the SG calls them) I got a new power that I can use once a day. If I read the SG right, activating a different one will replace my current power with a new one.

The shrines in the churches are different. To activate them, you have to find wayshrines in the wilderness. One easy to find wayshrine is down the hill toward the river from the stable just outside the Imperial City. It has white columns around the shrine. You click the edge of the shrine to activate. You will then be given a blessing and the ability to get a minor version of that blessing each time you visit that shrine in any church (one of the little nine set around the edge of every church of the nine divine). I believe, but haven't tested, that all blessings are once a day events as well.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/18/06 10:35 PM

The stones that give bound weapons are a waste of time when you ride a horse. Looking at the SG, there are two sorts of the red lettering stones. The one I've activated is one of the birthsign ones and those you can only have one power at a time from. But there are others called the "Heaven Stones" (p 285) which aren't related to birthsigns and if you have sufficient fame/infamy ratings will give you a permanent new power. I'll have to find those beasties before I move to the next major stage of the main story.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/19/06 05:05 AM

I'm having trouble with the Sanguine quest.

I can't seem to hit all of the guests with the spell. It seems to get two or three of them, but not all of them, nbo matter where I cast from.

Any suggestions on how far from the table I should be, and where?

EDIT - correction. I am definitely hitting all of the guests as they are all standing around in their underwear - and I do mean all of them.

Is there a cheat to fix this quest?

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/19/06 07:41 AM

Is the countess there? Are there five people? There is a console fix if you can't get it to work.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/19/06 01:39 PM

Interesting. I went back and finally completed the Weatherleah quest. A few days later, the ultimate fence from the Theives guild turns up in town asking if you could retrieve what someone else could not.

The interesting thing is that I didn't give the item to the fence (two things you can do) and now he refuses to have anything to do with me. And he stayed in Chorrol, never returning to the Imperial City. There the SG promised that he'd be by the guild on a regular basis.

I fear that I must move on with the main quest soon. The couple of things left in my quest list are mostly things I don't care about.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/19/06 09:01 PM

Aha! The Sanguine Quest is resolved. The Countess wasn't at the dinner party yet. I sneaked in and hid, and did the naughty deed when she finally deigned to join her guests.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/19/06 11:18 PM

Quote:
Aha! The Sanguine Quest is resolved. The Countess wasn't at the dinner party yet. I sneaked in and hid, and did the naughty deed when she finally deigned to join her guests.
Hurray! It took me a couple of tries to find a good spot to stand at the table and hit them all. Did you manage to get out? I fear I was caught and the guard was not impressed with me. lol

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/20/06 02:12 AM

No. I got caught. Nobody in the room actually saw me until I cast the spell, but of course the gig was up immediately after. I considered casting Chameleon and fading back into the servant's quarters but there's almost no time to react after the spell is cast, and I decided I'd just get frustrated trying.

I've become a wandering pilgrim, looking for shrines and odd quests to put off getting to the main storyline. I retreieved the Varla Stone for Martin, but hsitate to take it to him just yet because I suspect that will trigger some things I don't want to happen just yet.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/20/06 08:09 AM

I haven't started the main quest yet laugh Am fiddling around waiting for Gray Fox to send for me - then still have the fighter's Guild to finish but am not sure if I want to do the Dark Brothers thing.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/20/06 07:31 PM

Alice, you definitely want to do the Dark Brothers quests The rewards you are given for completing certain quests are the best in the game. Every time I find a new weapon that looks good I compare it to what I already have, and sell it.

In fact, I haven't changed my armour or weapons since the first part of the game. I'm wearing some enchanted Mithril greaves that reflect magic damage, Tor's glass vest, a Mithril helmet of Life Detection, the Feather shoes, and the weapons I got from the Brotherhood quests. Plus my trusty steed.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/21/06 09:14 AM

Hagatha, I'm still wearing things I found earlier in the game.

My 'Protection conjurer's robe' suits me fine. Have three helmets I switch around depending on what I need. Three rings do the same thing. Usually, for exploring I am wearing the Jewel of Rumar and boots which allow me to walk on water.

Am playing the whole game without a horse to worry about - had difficulty trying to make the Painted Horse do anything but turn in circles and collide with trees so took him back - well, I replayed that episode and decline the horse.

At the moment having difficulty making Gray Fox ask for my help a second time. My log tells me to hang around in The Imperial city but the S.G. wants me to wait in Bruma. Have just bought the Bruma house so I'm not just roaming the streets. Must do something about the fighter's Guild then pluck up courage to gain entry to the Dark Brotherhood.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/21/06 04:51 PM

lol Now I need to figure out what to do with it. I think I can enchant something right?

I now have some neat Dwarvean armor but my strength is the pits. I somehow lost a great deal during my accidential foray into the realms of almost vampirism and I can't get it back to what it was. Wish there was a restore strength fountain somewhere.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/21/06 06:27 PM

Syd, you could brew up a restore strength potion. I don't know if the ingredients would be hard to find.

http://oblivion.melian.cc/?cmd=cmdOblivionAlchemyWizard

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/21/06 08:39 PM

Don't the Temples restore everything?

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/21/06 08:58 PM

hagatha I thought it did but I swear I was higher than 42 in Strength - I'm a Battlemage for crying out loud. Maybe I'm wrong and it's always been that low but honestly I can't wear any type of heavy armor (and that is a major skill of mine) and be able to carry any loot. It's very annoying.

Pokey - I think I have those ingredients - I'll check my chest at the house and see what I can do.

While I'm here - anyone remember where they found the Forlorn Wanderer's chest? I walked up and down that river and dove in the water but can't find it anywhere. I also for some reason don't have the map in my inventory. I picked it up but it's disappeared. Even went back to the shipwreck to make certain I didn't leave it behind.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/21/06 09:49 PM

Syd, if I remember correctly you dive into the water slightly to the right of the pier. I know it's real close to it. Sorry I can't be more specific than that. It took me a while to find it, too, because the map made it look like it was across the river, but it isn't.

Jean

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/21/06 09:54 PM

If you're talking about the quest from the ghost that haunts the shore, the chest was up river near a dock, and there's a bandit camp immediately above the area.

But if you click on the quest in your journal it will direct you to the exact area. I had to use a potion of night eye to locate the chest as it's near some boulders on the river bottom and was hard to find. I jumped off the dock and swam a few strokes downriver. A Light spell would probably help better than Night Eye, but that was all I had.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/21/06 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by syd:
hagatha I thought it did but I swear I was higher than 42 in Strength - I'm a Battlemage for crying out loud. Maybe I'm wrong and it's always been that low but honestly I can't wear any type of heavy armor (and that is a major skill of mine) and be able to carry any loot. It's very annoying.
If your stats page shows strength as red, then it is damaged and needs to be fixed. Or maybe you had a piece of equipment that upped your strength, and that's either broken or gone now.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/22/06 07:04 AM

I'm looking for the Great Welkynd Stone. I have come to a gate to the Morimath area and can't find a way to open it. In the large room before this, there is a button that seems to raise a cage over the varla stone. Is there a button I missed? Earlier I had to jump down from a bridge because I couldn't get another gate open.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/22/06 07:56 AM

I just found a mini-quest in my Skingrad House. Lots of small loot, too, for the reward.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/22/06 07:56 AM

I finally found the button. I didn't go far enough down one passage. Time for the big battle now.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/22/06 11:37 AM

Has anyone else found difficulty trying to find Shum gro-Yarug to buy Rosethorn? I've waited for him at the correct times every day of the week and he never turns up - AND I WANT THAT HOUSE.

cry

Alice

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/22/06 12:09 PM

Quote:
Has anyone else found difficulty trying to find Shum gro-Yarug to buy Rosethorn? I've waited for him at the correct times every day of the week and he never turns up - [b]AND I WANT THAT HOUSE.
[/b]
It is a very pretty house. Have you talked to the female at the castle and gotten Shum gro_Yarug as a quest objective? Might be easier to track him with a lovely arrow pointing you in the right direction. I had him as a potential quest objective for some time before I had the spare cash to buy the house. wink

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/22/06 02:48 PM

Pib, have done all that and it is my active quest but the arrow has remained on the castle although I have searched and can't find Shum gro-Yarug there.

Also something similar is happening to my much needed next quest from the Gray Fox. Completed TURN A BLIND EYE but, as I wait to obtain the Arrow of Extrication Quest the arrow remains on Anvil Castle. What is happening?

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/22/06 05:38 PM

I had that problem with buying the Skingrad House, too. I never saw him at the castle during the day, and I could never find him at night.In the end I found him by waiting just inside the gate leading out to the Castle, in increments of one hour, and caught him coming towards the gate in the morning.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/22/06 05:41 PM

I was just at the castle. He was there at 10:30 in the morning and then left. I followed him to the Colovian Traders. He got there just after 12 noon. You might try there at that time.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/22/06 06:03 PM

Alice,

I thought you already bought the house in Skingrad. You told me of an easier way to jump-up to get the "Long Forgotten Note" in the top master bedroom. This lead to the "Rosethorn Cache". Remember me saying I hooked myself on the antlers to reach the note?

Marilyn think

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/22/06 06:22 PM

Thanks Hagatha and Pokey - will try your way.

Marilyn, I did buy it once but, if you remember, I made a mess of some thing or other and had to go back some way to a previous save - AND IT WAS ONE OF THE COMPLETED QUESTS I LOST. *&(%^$*

Out of sheer desparation (sp?) I started the Fighter's Guild quests and have been killing rats. RATS

Alice

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/22/06 08:41 PM

What is the point of owning houses except for storage? Do you get any advancement points? The only one I own is the Benirus Manor in Anvil which I obtained through a quest. I've been selling most of my loot and storing a few "must haves" in the arch mage's chest at the university.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/22/06 09:28 PM

What else is there to spend your money on? Might as well have another house. This one comes with a quest and treasure as well.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/23/06 01:07 AM

I think the Arch-Mage's chest is strictly for ingredients that you want replenished. Seems I remember being told not to leave stuff in there more than a week or it might disappear.

I ran across Gro walking down the street in Skingrad. Had decided my two houses, one in Cheydinhal and the manor in Anvil, were quite enough. I was forgetting what I had at each house. However, I do like home decorating and I had scads of money, so Skingrad seemed a nice middle of the country location for a third abode! praise

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/23/06 01:16 AM

There is a piece of furniture beside the bed in the Arch Mage's quarters at the university. On it is a dish which fills itself with fresh fruit every day. My equipment has been safe in this furniture. I've been leaving stuff here ever since I became Arch Mage which is about half a game ago. I haven't lost anything from here yet. This isn't the ingredient chest. I did lose stuff from the boss fighter's chest.

What is everyone's most difficult opponent? I can fight several daedra at a time but have the most trouble with goblins. Go figure.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/23/06 01:36 AM

Quote:
Pib, do tell - how do you put things on shelves and in the display cases??????

I've tried the old drop-and-hope method, but it doesn't work very well!
The z key allows you to grab something. The trick is that you then use the normal movement to move the item over or on top of where you want it while holding the z key. Some things like cups are very tricky to rotate back to right side up. When you have your hand over something and press the z key, it doesn't look like anything happened, very confusing! But try lifting the cursor upwards...

I put Wabbajack into a Skingrad display case and felt very proud of myself. rotfl

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/23/06 01:39 AM

Quote:
There is a piece of furniture beside the bed in the Arch Mage's quarters at the university. On it is a dish which fills itself with fresh fruit every day. My equipment has been safe in this furniture. I've been leaving stuff here ever since I became Arch Mage which is about half a game ago. I haven't lost anything from here yet. This isn't the ingredient chest. I did lose stuff from the boss fighter's chest.
I thought I put some stuff in the chest at the foot of the bed in the Arch Mage's quarters and it went away. Perhaps I did leave it in a different location though, I have enough houses around Cyrodiil! I didn't use the magic ingredient chest for storage, just for valuable ingredients. smile

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/23/06 02:34 AM

Not the chest at the foot of the bed - the safe place is the chest of drawers on the left side of the bed near the head of the bed.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/23/06 02:42 AM

Quote:
Not the chest at the foot of the bed - the safe place is the chest of drawers on the left side of the bed near the head of the bed.
Oh well, all storage in your [city] house is perfectly safe. smile But that's potentially useful for other heads of the Mage Guild. There may be one spot like that per guild head office, but I'm not willing to risk the equipment to find out.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/23/06 03:30 AM

What determines quest payment amount?

I played fighters guild early in the game and many quests at the start gave me 100 gold for doing the contract. I watched my husband play the same quest (he started fighters later in the game) and he got 200 gold! What made the difference? He thought maybe personality level, but I wonder if it has to do with game level. Anyone know?

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/23/06 03:35 AM

It's supposed to be your level in the game that determines many of those rewards. Much like he'd be finding better armor and weapons on the opponents as well.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/23/06 11:42 AM

Hi all,

Well I have been going around doing Deadra Shrine Quests for the special loot and I am really enjoying my summon Deadra helper. Its a lot of fun watching him run ahead of me and do my dirty work for me hehe. smile

Well like I said....this game would indeed be very short if it were only the Main Quest to do. Thank Goodness there are Guild Quests, Deadra Shrine Quests, Miscellaneous Quests, Freeform Quests, Dark Brotherhood Quests, and whatever I left out Quests.

Well one of my girls now has beautiful Ebony Armor and I just love the way it looks. I have not found any Glass Armor yet but hope that comes some time soon.

I do however have some glass weapons so maybe soon I will be able to find the Armor.

I remember that you could buy the Glass Armor
in Morrowind if you knew where to look. In this game the shops really do not have very good stuff to sell and they don't even have enough money to buy anything that is very expensive from you either.

I find that if you try to sell anything above the amount that they have then they won't buy it.

If you sell stuff below the amount of money they have available and only one at a time then they will buy it and their money never seems to run out. Weird.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/23/06 01:31 PM

VHL - I have discovered that. If I've three Daedra swords to sell at, say, 750 Gold each. All three will be bought if sold only one at a time. Have recently sold a merchant with 800 gold level over 2,500gold bits and pieces in one visit without bother because not one thing reached his 800g level.

Now, after a no-go day yesterday I'm off to nab Shum gro-Yartub. Fingers crossed.

Alice

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/23/06 04:51 PM

How high a level do you have to be before you find glass and ebony armour and some of the other exotic stuff? I am at level 11 and close to the end of the main quest. I may have to hang around and work on leveling up to see some of this stuff.

Alice, strange that you can't find Shum-Gro. I run into him everytime I visit the castle.

Re: Oblivion-continued Game Play..Spoilers of course - 05/23/06 05:14 PM

I think I started consistently finding glass and other armour and weapons at around level 20.

I'm at level 40 right now and find pretty much non-stop Deadric, Glass and Ebony stuff. On the other hand, reaching level 40 meant that my enemies just got exponentially harder -- or so it seems.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community