GB HOMEPAGE

If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness..

Posted By: chrissie

If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/10/08 06:02 PM

.. the good news is that I've just been browsing Play.Com & they have The Awakened - Remastered version available from the end of June.

This is a new version where you can play in a point & click 3rd person perspective which should alleviate any problems with motion sickness. There is still the option to play either in 1st person or switch between 1st & 3rd.

The bad news is I couldn't find any other info as to when it might be available in North America & elsewhere. Maybe someone else can help with that?

For anyone that's been put off from buying/playing the game because of the 'whizzy' interface - it's well worth trying this new version - it's such a good game! smile

Posted By: Rushes

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/10/08 06:07 PM

That definitely is good news! I helped beta-test the Remaster a while ago and was wondering when the final version would make release. Great for anyone who experienced motion sickness with the 1st person version. happydance
Posted By: qadventuregames

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/10/08 06:57 PM

I also beta-tested the Remaster. I've really been anticipating the release of the re-mastered version, cause motion sickness stopped me from completing the original release of the game.

I'll be watching for the US release. yay

"Q"
Posted By: mission

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/10/08 08:07 PM

Wow! I'm the type that can't play first person view games and this news is really exciting. I'm looking forward to play this game in the third person view. Hope they will release this in North America...Thanks for the news.

Posted By: Darleen03

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/10/08 09:08 PM

This is good news...I never got to play because of the motion sickness...Its a Good game ....

I will be looking for this new version to play..

Thanks so much
Posted By: Volkana

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/10/08 09:21 PM

I got motion sick with Awakened and Nemesis both... I had to stop after a few hours whistle because my stomach was turning upside down and i got a little dizzy....
This new version of the game is really wonderful news for me and all the 3rd person lovers grin
I did finish the games but i think i'll play it again... wave
Posted By: fildil

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/10/08 10:24 PM

Count me in that group. I was going to wear anti sea sickness bands, but if a new game comes out without all that swinging around, I'll get it. I never did finish The Awakening and I play Nemesis in short 15 minutes spurts. Not at all satisfying.
Posted By: mcc

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/10/08 10:38 PM

I suffer from motion sickness even from watching a car chase in TV frown For real motion I don't have any alternative to taking medication.

Nemesis demo started to make me sick, in Penumbra Black Plague there was a scene in water that I thought I couldn't finish and this is a common thing for me.

When playing games in general I can handle the situation with this tips:

I change the camera sensitivity to very low even if it slows the game.

I play that particular game only for a few minutes at a time at the beginning, for some reason little by little I get use to THAT game but not to ANY game.

I hope some other sufferers benefit from these tips also.

wave
Posted By: Becky

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/10/08 11:03 PM

Thanks mcc -- interesting ideas to try out!
Posted By: mcc

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/10/08 11:41 PM

One very important thing is not to force yourself, at the first sign of "trouble" change the activity as much as you can. If you have a chance go outdoors for 5 min., at least try to be away from the monitor even doing something else until the feeling is gone before trying again.
Posted By: Bobbiemorg

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/11/08 04:54 AM

My gosh! Putting the ccamera to low sensitivity with Snow Princess really helped alot..thank you so much now I know I can use that in other games....thank you so much!
Posted By: Butcher

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/11/08 08:34 AM

Thanks for the info, definitely good news as i was getting dizzy with the awakened and headaches were common.

Spyros
Posted By: dmtomchick

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/11/08 11:54 AM

I'm so glad to hear this. I started this one when it first came out, and it still sits here in my computer unplayed since that first hour I played. Hopefully they will do the same with Arsene Lupin. (or is that one already point and click?)

Dawn
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/11/08 12:03 PM

So far Arsene Nupine (nemesis) is not able to switch between 1st and 3rd, but maybe if this one is a success, the will do it also. I also tested the new version and think they did a really good job and switching it. I was amazed that they were able to do that. Frogwares is trying hard to make all players happy. Kudos to them!

Ana wave
Posted By: Bernard

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/11/08 12:23 PM

I also tested the new version, I hope they will get the bugs out in the final version.

Bernard
Posted By: MaG

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/11/08 01:36 PM

A little birdie whispered in my ear that SH3 has been redone to make it better - linearity, some bugs removed and is adapted to the new game engine. These are aside for the double perspective.

Also, SH4 and SH5 are presently being worked on for the double perspective. tomato

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/11/08 01:50 PM

That is great news MaG!

Ana bravo
Posted By: misslilo

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/11/08 04:05 PM

YAY! smile
That means I will finally be able to play Sherlock Holmes!
I was actually a beta tester too, but the game wouldn't install or anything, so I wasn't much help... but I'm glad you others did a great job smile
Posted By: Taylor's Mom

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/11/08 04:47 PM

That is great news! I have The Awakened loaded on my laptop but I can't stand to play for more than 15 minutes, and then I feel awful for about an hour. I would really like to be able to finish the game. Will I have to buy a new copy of the game or will Frogwares offer some kind of deal for those who already have the game?

Steph smile
Posted By: Phoebe

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/11/08 06:21 PM

Good news i never can play beacuse the interface is very bored and confused!!

thanks chrissie

Love Maria hearts

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/11/08 06:38 PM

Steph,

This is really out of the hands of the developer. It will be the responsibility of the publishers.

BUT Frogwares being aware of the needs of the gamer is looking for a solution but it will be complex...

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/11/08 06:54 PM

That's true Mag, I hadn't really thought about that way. I do think it's great that Frogwares has gone out of their way to make the games accessible to more people. If it turns out I have to buy a new copy to play I'm sure I will because I really have enjoyed the storyline of the game and I love Sherlock Holmes!

Steph smile
Posted By: Jhart320

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/12/08 12:07 PM

This is great news! I really wanted to play this game but couldn't. Looking forward to its release. Thanks Chrissie!

Joy
Posted By: AngieB

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/12/08 04:23 PM

This is great news. I have enjoyed the story in this game but I found I had to limit my game playing time due to motion sickness.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/13/08 01:51 AM

Wonderful news--I'm going to pass it along to my sister who has this problem in games. thanks
Posted By: sarahandus

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/13/08 12:49 PM

It would be wonderful if someone fixed Sentinel and Mysterious Journey 2 so they would be playable for the rest of us motion sickness sufferers. I have tried all the suggestions as well as the bands - which did help with Beyond Atlantis 2, but not that much.
Posted By: KristiC

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/13/08 07:52 PM

This may be a silly question--but will the new UK version 'work' on US computers, e.g. does anyone know if it's an all-region DVD? I'm going to be in London on business in late June and just might be tempted to pick this up for myself if so. :-)

Kristi (who was also made nauseous by the 1st-person perspective)
Posted By: chrissie

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/13/08 09:06 PM

Hi KristiC, PC Games work on any compatible operating system regardless of region. I think it's only consol games & DVD that have different coding in different parts of the world. smile
Posted By: Trinny3

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/14/08 12:13 AM

I use to not be able to play any 1st person games until I started to do these things. I take a non drowsy motion sickness pill a 1/2 hour befor I start to play and also place motion sickness bans on my wrist. This really works for me, I don't get sick anymore bravo. I use to get sick within a few minutes of starting a first person game and I would just give up playing cry. This option to play either first person or third in a game is a great idea thumbsup. A lot more games would be sold, not just because of motion sickness but also some people just love one better then another. Sounds great wave I hope all games will be made that way.
Posted By: KristiC

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/14/08 02:09 AM

Hi Chrissie--Good to know, thanks! I will definitely be picking this up while I'm in London, then.

Kristi
Posted By: Sherryah

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/15/08 06:53 PM

The game has barely been played because of severe nausea the kind that makes you want to run for the loo! Even though I was getting into the storyline. How will this help us players who have already purchased the game? Will it be a patch? or do we have to re purchase the game? The Anti Nausea pills didn't work for me sorry to say.

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/15/08 06:56 PM

Sherrya, MaG answered that question on this thread already.

Originally Posted By: MaG
Steph,

This is really out of the hands of the developer. It will be the responsibility of the publishers.

BUT Frogwares being aware of the needs of the gamer is looking for a solution but it will be complex...

Ana

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/15/08 07:48 PM

I don't get sick from ALL 1st person games.
Return to Mysterious Island and the likes of it, I didn't get sick from.
Could be something with the range of moving the camera around...
Just weird.

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/16/08 12:03 AM

misslilo...

For me it was the consent camera panning...The mouse has to be fixed for me at some point...

Darkness Within had some panning ,but for some reason it was not like the Sherlock games...In Darkness there was some fixation with the mouse where you couldn't fly up to ceilings...Etc..Etc lol

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/19/08 02:30 AM

Yes. Darleene there was some fixation with the mouse in darkness within, however that was not the problem that made me nauseated. Remember when the character got spun in circles, disorienting which direction he was last at? Thats why I never finished the game. Glad game producers are taking the motion sickness serious for alot of us gamers.

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/19/08 02:43 AM

Yes, I agree Sherryah

Motion sickness is a serious problem for us adventure gamers.

I still have Sherlock Awakening on the shelf frown Never played I have tried at least three times frown
Posted By: thehood

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/19/08 06:24 AM

Hello, we made some studies about why and how people might get sick and we discovered that there is no way to solve this easily, some people can play unreal but can't play counter strike or the opposite. Camera angle, screen frequency, panning speed, etc... are not complete explanations, until somebody (and I mean a doctor) can really give us a reply I'm afraid any modification might solve some issues and create others... that's why we decided to add one more perspective and that people can play the game finally.

For the people who already bought the game, we think now about a system in order that they won't have to repay it, we'll need a proof of buying and we'll give access to a patch through download, however a slight financial compensation will be needed as the game cost a lot of money to be redone and sending data over the net is not free.

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/19/08 10:52 AM

Hi thehood -- thanks for that information! thumbsup What were you thinking would serve as proof of buying? I know I don't keep receipts from stores very long -- I'm not sure if others do.
Posted By: BobS

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/19/08 11:53 AM

I did not have a problem until my wife wanted to drive the mouse. My eyes went one way and the pointer the other. Only managed to last 3 minutes. sick

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/19/08 12:39 PM

a nice pic of you and the box smile

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/19/08 12:48 PM

lol Love it!

Ana wave

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/19/08 01:01 PM

lol Where's my camera?

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/19/08 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: thehood
For the people who already bought the game, we think now about a system in order that they won't have to repay it, we'll need a proof of buying and we'll give access to a patch through download, however a slight financial compensation will be needed as the game cost a lot of money to be redone and sending data over the net is not free.

Wonderful laugh
I got both my games by download, so I have my proof online smile
Posted By: cazziejoe

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/19/08 10:17 PM

Can Awakened be played as 1st or 3rd person?
If so how?
caz

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/19/08 10:21 PM

There will be a patch available for download for those who already purchased the game.

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/19/08 10:24 PM

Well I just started the DVD version and there was a patch which I downloaded. Who knows if that was it.

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/20/08 12:21 AM

Becky...

Question? Does this mean we don't have to buy a new game..

We can just download the patch?

That will be so nice..

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/20/08 12:29 AM

Darleen -- I don't think we know yet quite how it will work, but it seems that there will be a patch. You may have to prove that you have purchased the game in order to download the patch, though. And there will be a small fee for downloading the patch.

We're waiting for further details as to how it will work when the patch is ready.

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/20/08 12:29 AM

Darleen,

Wael explained what he thinks will happen a few posts up.

Ana wave

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/20/08 12:37 AM

Thanks, Ana & Becky

But what about people like me who got it on a trade from GameBoomers frown

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/20/08 12:39 AM

Actually I turned camera sensitivety down and I'm haveing no problem. Using the mouse though; not sure if that makes a difference.
caz

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/20/08 12:40 AM

Darleen, please read the responses above yours. They are working on the details. When they know what they will do for sure, they will post. If Frogwares does not know yet, we sure don't.

Ana wave

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/20/08 12:44 AM

Thanks, Ana

If I have to purchase the game with the new interface I will.
I want to play it so bad...Just Happy it might be possible.. catrub

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 06/20/08 04:33 PM

Thanks thehood, that is great news. I like the picture idea! lol Seems perfectly reasonable to pay a small fee for the patch, you guys have no doubt put in a lot of work to help those of us out who can't currently complete the game. It's certainly better than having to buy a new copy at full price. I'm looking forward to being able to finish the game.

Steph smile

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 07/12/08 10:25 AM

a nice pic of you and the box smile

How about us who the bought the downloaded version?
A screenpicture of the online account, where it shows the game and how to download or what

Or maybe just the Ordernumber smile

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 07/12/08 02:45 PM

Yes, Please don't forget us who purchased it by download. Thats what I did. Thank you in advance.

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 07/12/08 03:09 PM

I think it's mentioned in this thread something about a record of your download?
Let's wait for what frogwares has decided. They do listen and I'm sure they'll find a reasonable solution for the boxed games and download customers. A mystery unfolds.
Posted By: Butcher

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 07/13/08 11:45 AM

Does anyone know whether they will also do this with VS Arsene Lupin or the future game VS Jack the Ripper. I would like to play these games but when it's first person i can't.

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 07/13/08 07:32 PM

Butcher -- I believe the intention was to include this feature in these games, but perhaps someone will come along to confirm that.

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 07/14/08 10:10 AM

I confirm smile

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 07/14/08 11:47 AM

bravo Most excellent thehood! Thanks for stopping by and letting us know.

Ana wave

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 07/14/08 11:56 AM

Thanks Wael! wave
Posted By: Jhart320

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 07/14/08 05:23 PM

Becky,

If it has been confirmed do you know when and where it will be available? Will it be on the GB patches?

Joy

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 07/14/08 06:01 PM

Jhart -- I don't think we've heard a definite date as to when the patch will be available for Sherlock Holmes Nemesis. I'm assuming that Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper will already have that feature included.
Posted By: FlyingDutchman42

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 07/15/08 07:38 PM

I had trouble playing the game, due to the irritating
camera movements, hardwall (the underground scenes where spoiling almost all the fun) but I persisted
and finally I managed to finish the game today. grin
It's hard to understand how they could allow such a game-spoiler to occur. Very sloppy of the designers! shame
They game itself was highly interesting.

robert luck

Re: If you couldn't play The Awakened because of motion sickness.. - 07/15/08 07:50 PM

There was no sloppiness on the part of the developement team. It is no different than going to the amusement park and going on a ride that spins in circles and blaming the designer if you get sick. Different rides for different riders, plain and simple. It is the engine of the game that allows 360 panning that makes you nauseous, but not everyone. They are trying to make it available to all so instead of criticizing them. They deserve kudos.

Ana wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community