GB HOMEPAGE

Confession Time

Posted By: Mordack

Confession Time - 10/01/08 07:54 PM

A personality trait of mine! We all know the multitude of doors, drawer, closets, valves, etc that we can open or turn while playing any adventure game but I must confess that I have this overwhelming urge to close them all before I leave. I can't leave a room untidy. It's bad enough that I will even back track to check. What is it I think the owner is going to say? "Not only did he take my toilet plunger but he left the water running". I'm a tidy 'thief' in need of professional assistance for which there is no medical term yet assigned. Any body else have this unnamed adventurous disorder or is it just me?

Mordack
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Confession Time - 10/01/08 07:59 PM

Hi Mordack, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels compelled to shut doors, turn off taps etc - but if I forget I'm not so bad I'll go back! rotfl
Posted By: TLC

Re: Confession Time - 10/01/08 08:03 PM

Mordack,

I also close drawers, doors etc. lol wave
Posted By: colpet

Re: Confession Time - 10/01/08 08:15 PM

I like to replace things the way I found them, which usually means closing them back up again. I am cautious to check everything though:
Click to reveal..
Remember the hidden stairs in Riven that were only seen once a doorway was closed and the Rhem games often have things hidden behind open doors.
Posted By: GBC

Re: Confession Time - 10/01/08 08:24 PM

That is so funny. I sometimes ask myself--what difference will it make but I close the drawers and the doors anyway. rotfl
Posted By: Becky

Re: Confession Time - 10/01/08 08:36 PM

I always replace whatever I can. It's the least I can do, after pocketing people's change, reading their private emails, listening to their phone messages, eating fruit off their trees, cutting their hedges into topiary, going through their garbage, taking their jewelry, stealing clothes from their closets, playing their pianos, knocking down their doors, sabotaging their lab experiments, trying out their board games, opening their safes, going through their backpacks, sampling their wine, using their sinks, cooking stuff in their microwaves, figuring out their family secrets and releasing their favorite ghosts.
Posted By: Barry

Re: Confession Time - 10/01/08 08:47 PM

Now if only I can figure out how to stuff an umbrella, gas can, a dozen or so rocks, a dog, a bird, some rotting meat, a bolt cutter, tree branches, glue, assorted vials with chemicals and various odds and ends I find in my pockets at the same time!!
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Confession Time - 10/01/08 09:01 PM

lol So I am not alone! I cannot stand leaving things out of order after I pilfer.

Ana wave
Posted By: seagul

Re: Confession Time - 10/01/08 09:11 PM

I can join the club - we are somehow like Hercule Poirot: he couldn' like dissarenged things - perhaps a good charakter trait for a game adicted!
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Confession Time - 10/01/08 09:28 PM

Hi, Mordack

Good Topic...

I always put things back also thumbsup
Posted By: Mad

Re: Confession Time - 10/01/08 11:20 PM

Hi Mordack smile

I too like to keep things tidy lol

[Interesting to note that so far the majority of members who feel this way are female evil]

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: RayBres

Re: Confession Time - 10/01/08 11:32 PM

Not me. I'm like George Stobbart - my trail of destruction is my calling card!
Posted By: puzzler46

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 02:47 AM

How nice to find out I am not the only one to want to close doors, drawers, etc. I always think , especially if it is a mystery game that I shouldn't leave a clue that I was there! happydance
Kathy
Posted By: Tracy

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 04:48 AM

lol lol This is great. I have to jump in and say that I do the same thing. Maybe it is a "woman" thing...it would be interesting to see if the guys do this too though. smile

Cat
Posted By: catsmom

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 05:11 AM

I try to leave them open, as I do in real life..keeps the cat from scratching the doors to get in. smile
Posted By: Duskao

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 06:28 AM

Alright everybody... As Mordack said no medical term yet assigned... well I think it could very easily be a form of OCD. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder smile. But I'm quite the opposite in most games unless it requires it or I believe that it may have some later influence later in the game. And no it's not a bad thing for all those drawr closers razz. But I do have to say... It's just a game. Your CRAZY razz!!!! LOL
Posted By: metamorphium

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 06:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Becky
I always replace whatever I can. It's the least I can do, after pocketing people's change, reading their private emails, listening to their phone messages, eating fruit off their trees, cutting their hedges into topiary, going through their garbage, taking their jewelry, stealing clothes from their closets, playing their pianos, knocking down their doors, sabotaging their lab experiments, trying out their board games, opening their safes, going through their backpacks, sampling their wine, using their sinks, cooking stuff in their microwaves, figuring out their family secrets and releasing their favorite ghosts.

rotfl And we're supposed to like our adventure avatars after they do all this? Right???
Posted By: Becky

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 12:32 PM

Of course! Though now that I think about it, releasing the ghosts may be the most unforgiveable. wave
Posted By: macmac

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 12:36 PM

Not a bad habit to get into; I remember a puzzle in Riven in which a door which one opens to enter a room hides a clue which cannot be seen until one manually closes the door. Since then I've found other similar sneaky tricks...
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 12:55 PM

There's one game that has a sequence in which you have to put everything back the way you found it or you'll get killed. I've played so many games I can't remember which one it was.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood
There's one game that has a sequence in which you have to put everything back the way you found it or you'll get killed.

It must have been written by a woman tired of picking up after her husband and kids. whistle

Ana grin
Posted By: Shany

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 01:02 PM

I only obsess over closing faucets. I don't mind leaving doors and drawers open.

Apparently, there's an extra bit of dialogue in Broken Sword 1 if you don't close the faucet - something about not getting any sleep because someone left it open and it flooded the place. lol
Posted By: sali

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 01:41 PM

I also have that urge to close doors and place everything in order before I leave a place and get frustrated if I can't do it. Sali
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 02:06 PM

I used to close everything so the owners wouldn't know I'd been snooping but now I like to leave them open--that way I know I've already searched that room lol
Posted By: ScarletDragon

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 02:36 PM

Thanks Mordack for bringing up this hilarious topic. I've always been a secret "tidy-upper" in adventure games. I should have known I wasn't alone in this affliction. I'm glad to see all these good folk confessing to the same problem. Now that we're out of the closet, don't forget to shut the closet door.
Posted By: Carrie

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 02:58 PM

OMG shocked AG OCD! rotfl

Haven't been playing lots of games lately, but I normally close things up, too (in games). More than once, though, I wanted to see what would happen if I didn't. The games did it for me... & when I turned back to the drawers or cabinets, they'd be closed.
Posted By: Jalex

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 04:54 PM

I am a little like that too. I love adventure games because they use logic and the player can put himself/herself into the story easier because of it. I don't leave the water running either but I do enjoy taking everythig that I can get my hands on. LOL Of course there are some things that are not logical like putting 1000's of items in your pocket or back pack but I wouldn't have it any other way.
As for leaving doors open, if there are many I leave them open so I can tell what room I have been in as I have a poor sence of direction. Otherwise I close them. I always close cabinet doors and drawers.
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Confession Time - 10/02/08 06:03 PM

I was one of those who left the tap running in Broken Sword and flooded the cellar. The landlord wasn't happy. lol

My only misdemeanour. I'm usually scrupulous about closing doors, drawers, cupboards (and taps). grin
Posted By: dragonuk44

Re: Confession Time - 10/03/08 06:36 AM

Yes I tidy up as I think well when they come back and you have left all the draws open etc .They will know some one as been there so yes I close draws turn taps of etc .I like pockets myself and pick any thing up .I dont have an handbag to my name .Jeans with a lot of pockets wave
Posted By: joanie39

Re: Confession Time - 10/03/08 12:07 PM

waveDitto for me too. I spend more time trying to close something that they won't let me close! frown
Posted By: Koalanut

Re: Confession Time - 10/03/08 05:33 PM

Yep, me too! Gotta close up the drawers, closets, etc, etc. I think I think that I will get "caught" snooping. Sometimes it won't close back but when you turn around you hear the slam or click and whew, thank goodness it closed! lol

Koalanut
Posted By: Carrie

Re: Confession Time - 10/03/08 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Rushes
I was one of those who left the tap running in Broken Sword and flooded the cellar. The landlord wasn't happy...
lol I would have left that tap on, too... on purpose and with great glee, Rushes... just to see the outcome. AG OCD would've probably caused me to save just before doing it, however.grin
Posted By: Barry

Re: Confession Time - 10/03/08 05:51 PM

Well if you forget to shut the fridge you'll probably wind up with a load of rotting meat. HELP I THINK I'VE BEEN TRANSPORTED TO ZORK!!!!!!
Posted By: LadyKestrel

Re: Confession Time - 10/04/08 04:44 PM

Sometimes not putting something back can get you in trouble, as with a certain small bridge in Rhem which affects the walkway in a different area. However, not putting moveable walls back might just open up a different area on another level, as in another game in the Rhem world. I usually try both to see if it makes any difference.

As for drawers, etc., in most 1st person games, they usually close automatically. It makes it easier for the developer to use the original view of the room when the player backs away from close up.
Posted By: Trisha

Re: Confession Time - 10/04/08 04:57 PM

I do the same thing always putting things back and closing all doors and etc. I think it is partly that maybe I think I will find an easter egg when I do things out of the ordinary in the game. Who knows maybe were all a little insane from too many Adventure games Ha Ha Have a great day everyone. Trisha broccoli grin happydance
© 2024 GameBoomers Community