GB HOMEPAGE

Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes

Posted By: Becky

Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/21/09 06:54 PM

Rushes makes her debut as a GameBoomers reviewer as she assumes the role of a robot who has been banished far from home. Will he find his way back through a quaint and beautifully animated world in order to thwart a dastardly conspiracy?

Machinarium
Posted By: MaG

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/21/09 06:58 PM

praise Rushes. bravo

Thanks, Rushes and Becky.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/21/09 07:15 PM

Excellent review Rushes! Thanks Becky. yay

I am still in the fun and easy part I guess and I'm totally loving it. What a great game!

Ana wave
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/21/09 07:24 PM

Thanks, Rushes & Becky

Great review...Game is not for me tho..

Can't skip mini games & you die.. scared
Posted By: Gobobby

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/21/09 10:55 PM

Excellent review, but I have had it with sliders and mini-games.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/22/09 04:15 AM

Thanks for the review, Rushes. I am absolutely loving this game. Very clever, very quirky, and I know it will be very difficult for this RPG/FPS gamer later on! But, you've gotta love something a little off the wall like Machinarium.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/22/09 06:11 AM

Great review, Rushes !! Thanks !! praise
Posted By: Volkana

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/22/09 08:08 AM

Thanks for the review Rushes!
I really want to play this game happydance
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/22/09 11:02 AM

Thanks, everyone. smile
I'd be really interested in hearing how everyone enjoys the puzzles towards the end of the game, if they find them any easier than I did. lol
Posted By: mission

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/23/09 04:40 AM

I've been waiting for this game for a long time.

Thanks, Rushes.

Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/23/09 09:08 AM

Rushes thanks for the enlightening review.
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/24/09 09:13 AM

Thanks Becky, & Rushes for a descriptive & interesting review! I'm not sure the game is for me but I would probably buy it if it come out on disc. smile
Posted By: DaveHT

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/25/09 06:04 PM

Congratulation, Rushes.

Look forward to reading your next review!
Posted By: Chief

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/26/09 02:29 AM

Thanks Rushes thumbsup and up to the next one.

Chief wave
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/26/09 04:17 PM

Great review Rushes bravo Very enjoyable reading.

Did the game remind you of the movie Wall-E at all?

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/26/09 04:39 PM

Thanks all!
L4L, I haven't seen Wall-E, I'm very bad at keeping up with the new films. lol
Posted By: hawkavonpuka

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 10/27/09 08:27 AM

Great review Rushes, I love this game even though it is causing mucho hair loss through pulling.
Posted By: harhan3

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 03/03/10 09:26 PM

I suppose I should not be making comparisons. There is an absolute rave review on one other Forum and an extremely positive one on another. Neither mention any of the serious faults in the game.
I am not talking about the difficult slider puzzles, twitch puzzles and timed episodes. There are certain drawbacks to the basic game play mechanism itself and interface – one only I mention in my “Hits & Help” Forum. (I can elaborate and describe the other faults – but only if anybody is interested).

In the meantime I have had troubles with the game as outlined in my cry for help here in ”Hints“ & Help”. Your help, Rushes, gave me the clue to break my stuckness. MANY THANKS.
IMO, your Review was more balanced and hence better than the 2 Reviews I referred to above..

Please see -
http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/602293.html#Post602293

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 03/03/10 09:56 PM

Thank you, harhan. smile
Posted By: HeavenlyJoy

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 03/06/10 09:38 PM

GREAT Review Rushes!!
Thanks!
This is one I am considering as I love puzzles. how hard are the arcade type mini games.. do they involve timing?
thanks, Marcia

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 03/06/10 09:49 PM

Thanks, Marcia. I thought that the arcade games in Machinarium were very difficult (and tiresome). Yes, they are timed in the sense that you need to respond quickly to what's happening on screen, otherwise boom-splat-wallop, game over and try again. lol If Machinarium hadn't included these frustrating game-stoppers I might well have ranked it better than I did.

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 03/07/10 10:23 PM

IIRC there is even one which you can't possibly solve using the normal mouse controls - you have to switch to keyboard after which it's pretty easy.

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 03/07/10 11:04 PM

I never used the keyboard in the game. THe mouse worked fine for me.

Ana wave

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 03/08/10 09:48 AM

Strange. I found that I couldn't crack one arcade puzzle. Maybe it was due to my not so good hand-eye coordination.
So I looked up the walkthrough I found best out of the several available and it advised me as follows.
I then succeeded easily first time.
Maybe the Walkthrough advice is not necessary or even correct.

Quote:
Click to reveal..
Power up the two games and play them. The first, a simplified Space Invaders, can be played with the mouse or keyboard. Keyboard controls are Space to shoot and left-right arrows.
Don't even think about playing this game with the mouse. You will still be there tomorrow. The strategy is to --------------.
Posted By: Becky

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 03/08/10 09:52 AM

Harharn3 -- did all the walkthroughs you looked at advise using the keyboard there?

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 03/08/10 10:09 AM

I don't think I looked at the othe walkthroughs about this.

On reflection and as far as I remember - I seem to remember that I found it difficult to get the mouse to the correct positin left/right and then shoot.
It may have been that I hadn't 'learnt' that you only need to clear a path through the middle and not waste time clearing the 2 sides? And hence I would have had no trouble using the mouse.

Unfortunately due to the fact that there are only the ridiculously small number of save slots (6 in all) I can't now return to check this one way or another.
Cheers.

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 03/08/10 12:34 PM

Walkthroughs were not out when I played and I did not find them necessary. I thought the in game clues were brilliant and easy to follow. I had no difficulties in playing at all. Maybe the walkthrough make the solves more difficult then they really are.

Ana wave

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 03/08/10 01:12 PM

I found a lot of the puzzles very difficult - especially the arcade, platform and timed ones.

My 'echanical' aptitudes and eyesight are not what they used to be so I had troubles.
Posted By: smulan

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 03/08/10 04:07 PM

As far as i remember there was only one sliderpuzzle in M: and it was easy and had a clever twist to it. Nothing to be afraid of, take that from a sliderhater.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Machinarium -- A Review by Rushes - 03/08/10 05:13 PM

My take is the same as Ana's - brilliant in-game clues with clever and, yes, difficult puzzles. I think easy puzzles would have been a detraction from a wonderful game.

However, I did use my keyboard instead of the gamepad for one of the arcade games and it did make it much easier.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community