GB HOMEPAGE

Gray Matter Amazon Germany download -- Compact Instructions Near the Top of Page 7

Posted By: Marian

Gray Matter Amazon Germany download -- Compact Instructions Near the Top of Page 7 - 11/11/10 03:52 PM

The German release happened today, but according to the below link, it's possible to download the game from Amazon Germany and that the German version of the game has an English-language option. So, for the truly impatient among us, it would appear that if you are willing to spend fifty dollars, this would be a way for you to play the game now.

Gray Matter
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 04:20 PM

Are you getting it? Let us know what you think!

Ana wave

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 04:56 PM

I think I will wait and see other comments about the game first, but it certainly is tempting. smile
Posted By: SkeeterUK

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 05:17 PM

Well i have seen - saying 5.6 GB so id expect that if you are downloading it. That btw is the iso so if a direct2drive just does the files and not in a image it maybe more.
Posted By: dragonuk44

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 05:44 PM

Very tempting devilchili wave thanks
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 06:29 PM

I'm waiting for a boxed edition.
Posted By: DaveHT

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 08:15 PM

Is the speech English though? Or is it just English subtitle in the German release?
Posted By: mj2c

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 08:26 PM

Speech is in English. Which begs the quesion, if the English version is available why have Mamba delayed it.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 08:33 PM

Following what you are saying, so the game is actually complete. I also ask why the delay for so long?

Originally Posted By: mj2c
Speech is in English. Which begs the quesion, if the English version is available why have Mamba delayed it.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 08:36 PM

Regional publisher is not setup for other countries i would guess. When they have a publisher for other regions it will be then become available.

Also i would hazard a guess but other regions might have different release dates which will maximise their profits so they pick their release times according to highest demand for said genres.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 08:37 PM

Yes the game is complete. You are given the option to play either the German or English version (on the config screen) I think.
Posted By: Dave

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 08:47 PM

My wife is playing it even as I write! (She is the gamer of the family <smile>)

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 08:52 PM

@Skeeter

They had a release date of October and changed it. I would have thought the run up to xmas was the premium time not after the new year when people are spent up. They must have also known that dtp were releasing the English version now and that that will be a hammer blow to their profit because that version will have been pirated for three months. Something strange certainly going on. If you had wanted to sabatage your product you couldnt have done a better job than mamba seem to have done.

Anyone know which button you press for the download version on Amazon.de? Dont speak german but I fancy taking the plunge and giving it a go.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 10:51 PM

Like i said they probably only have a publishing licence for germany as of this time and they are still arranging a publisher for UK and other regions. I agree it would have been a good time now for selling the game in as many regions as possible now due to xmas but they could probably only arrange to sell it in germany and other countries are in talks with publishers for others.

Do not know german sry mj2c. frown Tho possibly use google translator to convert the site to english?

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 10:55 PM

Yes, a google translator might help. I do see that one of those buttons on the righthand side of the Amazon page has the words "online," making me think that might be the selection for the download, but I'm not sure either.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 10:58 PM

Im sure someone can do a quick guide how to buy and download in step by step for you shortly. Best if u can wait for a person who has done it to tell you how to do it correctly as to avoid doing something wrong.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 11:04 PM

@Skeeter

They already have publishers - Lace Mamba. DTP are the publishers in Germany though.

Yes I tried using a translater but the buttons dont get translated - they must be just bitmaps.
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 11:09 PM

Screenshots are enticing...

Looks very good..

Thanks, Marian
Posted By: tetelo

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/11/10 11:41 PM

Very surreal thread, considering there is no digital download available on German Amazon. Not before the official release.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/12/10 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: tetelo
Very surreal thread, considering there is no digital download available on German Amazon. Not before the official release.

You may be right; I may have misunderstood what someone was saying over on the AdventureGamers forum. My apologies to all if this is indeed the case. The boxed game has been officially released in Germany, though, as someone I know who lives in Germany has bought the game from a shop in the last 24 hours.
Posted By: MaG

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/12/10 12:15 AM

Just a REMINDER of the GameBoomers Board Rules that each member agreed on:

Quote:
You also agree to not condone, trade, sell, ask technical or gameplay help on pirated games or link to any sites that promote or condone pirated and/or copies of games.

This includes pirating any games.
This infraction automatically results in the loss of posting privileges of the member.

MaG

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/12/10 12:36 AM

@Marian

Yes it certainly seems to have been released before the official date (if the 12th is the official date). There are people over on the dtp's own forums on chapter 6!!! And given it's the English side of their forum I assume they are playing the English version.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/12/10 03:12 AM

The boxed game is also on ***amazon.de***.
Auf Lager means In Stock.

Unfortunately it is 35.99 Euros and would be ***another 14 Euros to ship to the US***.
So that is 49.99 Euros.
In US dollars that would be $68.68 + whatever money conversion fees
(according to ***Oanda's currency converter***).
Very expensive game.
Posted By: kjos

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/12/10 08:10 PM

I ordered mine for £13.83 in september from
Lace Mamba Global,about $23.00 shipping including. Will be shipped Friday 25 Feb.2011
I guess I can wait. Thanks
Richard
Posted By: venus

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/13/10 02:32 AM

Ordering from Germany is definitely very pricey. I probably would have been able and crazy enough to do it last year, but it is just too expensive for me now. sad I don't understand why they don't just release the English version now, since it is obviously ready. duh

Looks like I'm going to have to wait until February. Not happy about it, but I will just have to keep repeating over and over to myself that it is only three months. lol

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/13/10 06:47 PM

Can someone please explain to me about the previous post that mentioned a LEGAL digital release of the game (English)? Can we in North America purchased those instead of waiting until February next year for Mamba to release?

I supposed this, too, means that only German review sites will have a review of this game, possibly for months before any English review will appear.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/13/10 06:53 PM

I thought there was an option for a digital download of the game available from Amazon Germany, but apparently there is not. Thus far I haven't seen anywhere where you can purchase the game as a download.
Posted By: Ewil02

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/13/10 10:36 PM

Marian, I was able to download the game from Gamer Unlimited today. It's a large file (around 6 GB), and took a few hours to download. Yes, you can choose English or German in the setup while installing. It is pricey- I paid 39.95 euros, or $56. I was able to pay by Paypal.

http://gamerunlimited.gamesplanet.com/kaufen-downloaden-pc-spiele/Gray-Matter-2194-14.html

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/13/10 10:52 PM

Thank you, Ewil02, and welcome to Gameboomers! smile

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/13/10 10:57 PM

Thanks, Marian. Love this site. Everyone's great. happydance

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/13/10 11:07 PM

Be sure to let us know what you think of Gray Matter. I'm sure many will be very happy for the link to Gamer Unlimited; that was a great sleuthing job on your part! thumbsup

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/13/10 11:26 PM

Welcome to GB Ewil02 welcome
Richard
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/14/10 05:20 AM

Wow $56 for a download. Not for me, I can't imagine handing over that amount of bread for a download. like kjos I paid my $23 to lace mamba. I am not thrilled about having to wait until March to see it but at least I will have something solid for a fair price.

It is like Lost Horizon,a great game that required a wait. But now that I played it, it is over. The same will be true with this game and all too soon it will be sitting on the shelf next to Lost Horizon. I still maintain that downloads should be half the price or less than the hard copy. To each their own, enjoy.
Posted By: traveler

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/14/10 06:25 AM

Wow is right. Make that Wow! $56 is just insane, especially for a download.

Frankly, I doubt this game will ever sit on my shelf next to Lost Horizon. Sins of the Fathers was a fantastic game. The Beast Within was a very good game but not as good as the first GK in my opinion. And I did not like GK 3 at all, not the awful 3D, the dreadful controls, the way you were plunged into the story without a clue as to what was going on, the constant hopping back and forth to Sidney, the way Ms. Jensen couldn't seem to figure out if Gabriel had grown up or not, or the resolution of the story.

IMO, the trend in her games was down and I don't understand why almost everyone is so certain that Gray Matter is going to be a masterpiece. Anyway, the trailer, with its seriously odd, comic book graphics, doesn't make me think that this is the game everyone is expecting.

If you don't care about graphics, if you don't think that this game which is so much newer than Syberia, which really is a visual delight, should offer something better than it does in that line, that may not matter. But I do and what I've seen so far isn't good.

Ms. Jensen's strength (at least in the first two GKs) seems to be her ability to tell a story. I hope she's still got that going for her and that she doesn't turn those magic tricks into a new version of the (to me) very annoying Sidney.

Gil.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/14/10 02:13 PM

The way I look at it, $56 is a lot for any game. But people don't hesitate to pay $50 for an FPS or RPG game (Black Ops came out last week for $59.95 in box or download). Granted, the graphics are much better in those games, but I'll take a good adventure any day with a good storyline over an FPS. And the adventure game will be savored and used again, unlike the other games, which are generally the first to be deleted off my PC.

Whether or not Ms Jensen's game is a great game is still to be decided, I suppose. But, all things considered, I'm like everyone else who didn't want to wait til March to see what her latest game has to offer.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/14/10 02:23 PM

I've also read that Gray Matter utilizes a points system reminiscent of some of the old Sierra games in which you could finish the game and not have the total points possible. That sounds like "replay value" to me.

I see that $56 price tag as high, sure, but I remember paying $50 plus for the newest Infocom game back in the 1980s; and part of this $56 price is paying for the privilege of playing the game months earlier than was expected. While I probably won't go the $56 download route, I will certainly understand those who choose to do so. smile
Posted By: Becky

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/14/10 03:29 PM

Thank you Ewil02! Good to know where we can download it.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/14/10 10:15 PM

***Google translation of a German review***

If the direct link doesn't work, go to
http://translate.google.com
type
http://www.gamers.at/articles/gray_matter-903/
in the box, and set it to translate from German to English.
The review has 3 pages.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/15/10 12:50 AM

Has anyone downloaded yet who could provide a translation for the download process? Is it difficult for a non-German speaker to figure out how to pay and download?

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/15/10 01:42 AM

Becky, I found it fairly self-explanatory:

Click on the orange 'download' button.
Click on the orange 'zur kasse' button to go to checkout.
#1-Gray Matter is in the cart-can delete by hitting the 'X'.
#2-need to register a new account- fill in email, confirm email, password, confirm password, input a nickname.
Leave the 'Diese Bestellung ist ein Geschenk' unchecked unless it's a gift.
#3-payment-I just pressed Paypal, but you can fill out the credit card info here- card number, expiry month/year, verification code from back, card holder name, address, PLZ- postal code, Land-if US, select Vereinigte Staaten.

Make sure you check the 'ich stimme den Allgemeinen' (accept the trade conditions), then hit Bestellung bestatigen.
For Paypal, I was taken to the Paypal checkout screen, filled out my password, and hit a confirmation button.

You are then taken to a confirmation screen and should receive an email. Since this is a Metaboli site, you can download using their download manager, or click on the 4 buttons to download each file manually, which is what I did. If you download them manually, make sure they are downloaded to the same folder, then double click on the setup file, and you should be good to go. The email has your serial # to unlock the game.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/15/10 11:21 AM

Thank you Ewil02! wave

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/15/10 04:27 PM

Thanks for the information, Ewil02. Unfortunately, it is too pricey for me. If it was the disk version, I might do it, but I think, sadly, I will have to wait for the February release.

Unlike traveler, I found all three Gabriel Knights outstanding, the second one especially, so I am pretty confident I will love Gray Matter. On the other hand, I can't afford to pay seventy dollars to import it right now, and I'd only purchase a download to tide me over if it were less expensive.

Does anyone know if Interact will receive copies of Gray Matter for its English release?

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/15/10 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: venus
Does anyone know if Interact will receive copies of Gray Matter for its English release?

I emailed Dave about it, and he's having trouble finding someone who could import it for him. He said he'd keep trying but we may have to wait until 2011.
Posted By: Susie07

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/15/10 06:19 PM

Hi, Gil!

I'm laughing at your comment that paying $56 for a game is insane because I paid $64.99 Cdn. (plus tax) at "Electronics Boutique" for GK3 in whatever year it was first released. Those oversized boxes must have been super expensive to produce because, once the box size shrunk, so did the price lol !

I'm surprised you didn't like GK3 and appear to be only lukewarm on GK2 because that series is one of my favorites. I agree that Jane Jensen's strength is her storytelling, and I felt she accomplished that in all 3 GK games.

Susan

Posted By: connie

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/15/10 07:12 PM

I paid $60 for the 7th Guest, and had to buy a new video card too. I loved all the GK games. wave
Posted By: Mordack

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/15/10 11:03 PM

I paid $60 for "Schizm" on DVD when I was a young Adventurer. Had to walk through 4 feet of snow on an empty stomach to get it too. You youngsters have it easy with your fancy high speed internet. Now you just have to click a download button. Did I mention there was a blizzard too?

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/15/10 11:05 PM

Hi, connie!

I'm sure I paid at least $60 for "The 7th Guest" because games were always more expensive here in Canada. I bought my first CD-ROM drive to play "Myst", and I'm probably the only person in the world who didn't enjoy it grin . I had to buy a video accelerator card to play KQ8 because my video card was a chipset soldered onto my motherboard and didn't meet the specs. After that, any new computer I bought had a standalone video card.

Susan

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/15/10 11:30 PM

Hehehe, I'm sticking by "insane", Susan. The way the economy is now, I'm beginning to tremble at 30 bucks.

But seriously, $56 for a download with DRM but no box or plastic spiders? Nah, that's just not right.

Gil.
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/15/10 11:52 PM

to Mordack:
I know which store you mean, you also forgot to mention it was "Uphill both ways" frown

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/16/10 01:43 AM

Hi, Gil!

I agree that $56 today is insane when most games sell for $19.99, even here in Canada. It's even worse when it's not a boxed copy. However, 15 or 20 years ago, $56 would have been a bargain because I just checked some of my old game boxes and I paid $67.99 for KQ8. I downloaded "Black Mirror 2" and it cost me $31.67. Unfortunately, I didn't think it was worth it.

As much as I love Jane Jensen and would buy any game she was involved with sight unseen, I'll wait until "Gray Matter" is available at a more reasonable price.

Susan

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/16/10 02:36 AM

Hey, Susan,

I'll admit I paid $34.95 US plus shipping for Black Mirror 2 and loved it so it was worth it for me and I'll probably have to get someone to tie me up to stop me from jumping at Black Mirror 3.

Gotta be in a box, though, and nowhere near $56 or like you, I'll suffer and wait.

I haven't been gaming nearly as long as you and you just made me think of the first time I downloaded a "real" game. It was the demo of Grim and I think the download was 50 megabytes. Took over 8 hours to get it with my dialup connection. Hard to imagine now, ain't it? <g> Once I played it, there was no turning back, though, and I was lucky enough to get the game from LucasArts for a measly 15 bucks. Not a box, a jewelcase, but there's Manny on my shelf anyway.

I understand loving a game and I hope Gray Matter is right up there with GK for you when you finally do get it. It's such a pleasure to play a really good one!

Gil.
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/16/10 06:04 AM

I was just reading the comments on adventure gamers. Lots of nit picking and griping a fun read even if I don't post there.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/16/10 03:55 PM

Lol, just read the bloke who threw a tantrum and accused everyone of being pirates because they wouldnt tell him where he could buy it from:-)

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/16/10 06:17 PM

Hi, Gil!

I probably would have enjoyed BM2 a lot more if it wasn't a sequel, but I was disappointed in the storyline and didn't feel a connection to the original game. Of course, that won't stop me from playing BM3 because I figure it's got nowhere to go but up grin !

I loved "Grim Fandango" and probably paid around $70 for it because that's what games went for in Canada back then. I still have it, but I don't know if it will play on my Windows 7 system.

Susan

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/16/10 08:10 PM

Thanks, Jenny! I was actually referring to the 2011 release, so you answered my question. smile

Traveler, I know what you mean about the economy! And I agree that $56 for a download is too much.

Susan, you can play Grim Fandango on Windows 7. My copy works perfectly, though I did have to install the launcher since I have 64 bit. I believe 32 bit users don't even have to do that.

Those criticisms on Adventure Gamers seem awfully nitpicky to me. The only things that will really bother me are the cutscenes (which I knew about anyway) and the shortness, if that is in fact the case. Other than that, I'm not going to worry about the animation, and the graphics look beautiful to me based on the screenshots. duh

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/16/10 08:43 PM

Hi, venus!

I also have the 64-bit version of Windows 7, so I'll see if I can find the launcher and pay Manny a visit lol !

Susan

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/16/10 11:40 PM

Here you go, Susan. Grim Fandango installer/launcher

Feelings are running high about Gray Matter over at that other forum.

Gil

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/17/10 12:29 AM

Great, Susan, hope you get everything up and running! Say hi to Manny for me. grin

Thanks for the link, traveler; you beat me to it. lol Glad to know the reaction is generally positive on Gray Matter.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/17/10 02:56 AM

Hi, Gil!

Thanks for the link. I just downloaded the installer and will give it a try on the weekend.

Susan
Posted By: dragonuk44

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/17/10 07:03 AM

I hope this game is good wave

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/17/10 06:08 PM

Hi, dragonuk44!

If you're talking about "Grim Fandango", it's an excellent game. I haven't played it since it was first released in 1998, so I'm looking forward to playing it again.

If you're talking about "Gray Matter", I also hope it's a good game, but I'm waiting until it's more reasonably priced before purchasing.

Susan
Posted By: Vegpot

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/20/10 02:21 PM

Yes, 35.99 in euros is about £30 in UK pounds, too expensive for a download for me, plus I'll probably be able to borrow my mum's copy at some point tee hee!
Posted By: vic

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/20/10 02:55 PM

I placed my pre order with Amazon back in August for only £11.71 so I'll be waiting for the boxed game.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/20/10 08:34 PM

For those who are interested, I just noticed that the Gamer Unlimited site has reduced their download price to 35.95 euros, or $49. Still pretty expensive, but you may want to keep checking the site. Since the price dropped $7 in one week, maybe it'll be more reasonable in a couple of weeks. wink
Posted By: Mad

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/21/10 09:08 AM

Intrigued by the mention of numerous player comments on the Adventure Gamers forum, I nipped over to have a read - and was sorely disappointed to see the blatant admissions of illegal downloads being posted frown

The long wait for this game (or any other) is absolutely NO excuse.

But to obtain it illegally and then criticise it ??
Just takes the cake for cheek as far as I'm concerned ....

Nor do I believe that those who did illegally download it will later go out and buy a legal copy duh

Posted By: Tomer

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/21/10 09:34 AM

Not to justify the action - but I must admit that with the whole splitting of releases - German version (with English inside!!) this month whereas English version on February,this was to be expected.

One has to be naive to expect that everyone would wait for so long (not to mention to very high price) and not download - it takes a fair share of ideology (which you and I have, maybe - but definitely not all gamers) to be able to hold yourself from doing that.
The only way to fight it as I see it is smart marketing - and this game had the worse marketing ever.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/21/10 10:25 AM

I know what you are saying Tomer but I find the mentality of people who illegally download games to be truly wanting shame

Posted By: metamorphium

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/21/10 11:05 AM

People would steal no matter what. Machinarium was worldwide available for $9.99 (which is IMO absolutely low and human friendly price) yet creators stated in one interview, that based on the patch downloads etc., the vast majority of the game 'copies' was stolen.

What ELSE should developer do than to create a beautiful game and put it for cheap and accessible for the whole word?

If I do a game, I don't care about thieves though. I do care about the few people who actually buy it. And guess what? They usually don't complain about lack of AAA graphics, because they usually look what they are putting money for before. laugh

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/21/10 01:50 PM

It was *so* predictable what would happen (and I did predict it in a thread on here I think:-)) when they decided to release the English version, but not in English speaking countries. What bright spark came up with that idea, and is he still in a job? The software industry does indeed suffer from piracy but they do suffer from their own idiocy at times as well.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/21/10 04:56 PM

I think it's interesting how some of them feel they are justified in getting the illegal copy because they have the English version on order and are going to receive a 'legal' copy when it comes out in February. I wonder how many of them would cancel that order if they felt the game wasn't great or classic after playing it. If they felt it was only a mediocre game, what would motivate them to have the 'legal' version after having already played it?
Posted By: lily.bart

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/21/10 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
I find the mentality of people who illegally download games to be truly wanting shame

Mad and others here, truly not trying to be contrary, but this weighs on my mind often in an effort to understand...

I never sweat a foreign launch because my oldest and dearest friend is overseas and purchases almost every Adventure released, a position I can't afford to be in although I do purchase alot of games myself.
He either mails (if I can't wait) or brings me the game on a visit (if I'm patient) once he completes it.
I'll get this at Thanksgiving because I'm intrigued but it's not one I'm dying to play.
Most times when I'm done, I then take it in to the used game shop and get another game in trade for the credit.
Also, sometimes when I do purchase a game I will opt for Used instead of New when Amazon offers both.
I have no problem with my system (similar to the Trading Post here), but it almost always makes me wonder how I differ from a pirate.
These transactions don't really count, do they?
I often wonder how the same people who do 'legal' transactions (gift,trade,resale) differentiate themselves from the 'illegal' downloaders.
Is it a sense of morality based on intention?
Is it the concept of not just getting "something for nothing" that makes the difference?
Is it the numbers?
Traded or sold maybe just a couple times as opposed to 10,000 for one purchase price?

Because the way I see it, the industry doesn't make a dime in either way in any instance (gift,trade,resale vs. piracy) nor is either being counted in the official sales people deem so important to continued successful production of games.

How can one be 'right' and the other 'wrong' from an objective standpoint, is all I'm saying?
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/21/10 10:14 PM

If I can't afford a new car, I will buy one off the used car lot or borrow a car from a friend, I don't go down the street and steal one. THat is the difference.
Posted By: MaG

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/21/10 10:27 PM

This is a simplistic explanation on my take of game piracies. There maybe some aspects that I might not address.

I think of physical games that are bought - paid for as similar to let's say a car that is bought. You can transfer title (as a gift or as a resale). The maker of the car was paid and the dealer got his commission.

Downloaded games that are pirated do not benefit the maker or the publisher. This in a sense is theft.

From Wikipedia:
In criminal law, theft is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent. The word is also used as an informal shorthand term for some crimes against property, such as burglary, embezzlement, larceny, looting, robbery, shoplifting, fraud and sometimes criminal conversion. In some jurisdictions, theft is considered to be synonymous with larceny; in others, theft has replaced larceny.

Someone who carries out an act of or makes a career of theft is known as a thief, and the act of theft is known as stealing, thieving, or sometimes filching.

When someone uploads a game for the sole purpose of distribution to anyone and everyone; it's an intent of defrauding the original owner (developer - publisher) of the financial remuneration that legal selling of the item should have happened AND the stealing of copies that are legally NOT theirs to distribute since NO PERMISSION was given by the legal owner.

When someone downloads a pirated copy - then they become accomplices in the burglary of the items.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/22/10 01:58 AM

I couldn't agree more regarding Pirated games, regardless of the excuses, as mentioned before maybe not on this forum but other forums: If a company does not make a decent profit on making its games, then they will STOP making them.
And who will be the ones to be hurt the most? That's right, the ones who legally buy their games will see companies go down and less and less adventure games will be made. And as for the majority of those who bought Pirated games, will they miss the lack of games, doubtful, they will just shrug their shoulders and say: "Oh well, they were Stupid games anyway, I’m glad I didn’t pay good money for that garbage, maybe if they made better games I would buy them, Yeah Right"

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/22/10 02:43 AM

Quote :
"This is a simplistic explanation on my take of game piracies."

Simplistic ?? Possibly, MaG. But so true !!

A thief is a thief is a thief !!!! No matter what the excuse given frown

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/22/10 02:39 PM

Well, I tried to purchase the download version of this game (link below), following Ewil02's very helpful instructions and hit a snag with my credit card. Apparently, the GamerUnlimited (Metaboli) website has a problem processing the 3 digit security code on the back of my card (at least, that's what my credit card customer service says) -- so I can't purchase the game.

Has anyone else attempting to order from the US using a credit card (not Paypal) had this problem?

http://gamerunlimited.gamesplanet.com/kaufen-downloaden-pc-spiele/Gray-Matter-2194-14.html

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/22/10 03:02 PM

Thanks, Becky... For letting us know...

I was going to attempt to buy it also..

When I bought Tale of a Hero...The processing required the security code also. Luckily it went through ok..

I guess I will wait till Feb smile

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/22/10 03:36 PM

Darleen03 -- I think it's possible that credit cards from other banks might work. It's at least worth a try when you're ready, to see if the problem is widespread or just occasional.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/22/10 03:39 PM

There's someone over on Adventure Gamers who ran his order through and then afterward his order was deleted by Metaboli; however, it's unclear to me what payment method was used.
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/22/10 07:08 PM

I bought the game no problem from Gamer unlimited but I'm in the UK & did use PayPal.

I had some problems initially with my security settings not allowing me to download it - I eventually got over that & have the game sitting there. But, I can't play anymore than the opening cut scene because as it turns out the PC I'm using at the moment isn't quite upto the system specs so please be sure to check yours out before thinking of buying it.

I've wasted my money & it's my own fault as I'm a great advocator of waiting for the disc version but I just went ahead on impulse as I didn't want to wait!

Hopefully when the disc version comes out in February I will have my other PC (which does have the right specs) up & running! smile

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/22/10 08:43 PM

I'm so sorry chrissie! frown

Well, in the don't-make-assumptions category, I had assumed that since the Gray Matter download site had its own credit card ordering system, that then Paypal was just for Paypal users.

Wrong!

I just bought the game via Paypal, but using their credit card system for non-Paypal members. I'm downloading now as we speak!

blush redface tomato

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/22/10 11:09 PM

I'm pleased Becky that you were eventually able to buy the download of the game & look forward to your thoughts on it. smile

I loved the style of the opening cut scene & the music & couldn't see anything wrong with the graphics which I've seen criticism about but of course I haven't seen any more than that! lol The manual was in German which I tranlated via Google & just looking at that the game just looks to be so intricate & intriguing:

I'm hoping that if I hurry up & get my other PC up & running I might be able to negotiate the download for that - but if not - oh well! smile

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/22/10 11:24 PM

That's great, Becky. happydance I'll be very curious to hear what you think of the game!

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/23/10 12:38 AM

Thats Great news , Becky...

I don't use paypal, but I will try with my credit card next week...

Hope you love the game, and is having much fun... happydance

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/23/10 12:55 AM

What are the specs for Gray Matter.
Richard

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/23/10 01:12 AM

That's good news, Becky. I'm beginning to think that this is a geographical thing. I initially went to amazon.de to buy the box game (including the shipping fees) and was told when I went to checkout that they can't deliver the game to my address (US). I hadn't had any problems before with ordering from amazon.de (I bought BOUT from them). That's when I found the Gamer Unlimited site. I think that if you input an American bank card (or UK), it may deny the purchase. The reason the Paypal payment circumvents it is because they take you to the French Paypal site to pay (at least that's where I went). Bottom line is you may have to go through Paypal. smile

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/23/10 01:54 AM

Hi Richard- Here's what they have at the Gamer Unlimited site- I also checked at the dtp site, and they just say TBD.

Systemvoraussetzungen

CPU: Dual Core 2 GHz

Speicher: 1 Gb

Grafikspeicher: 512MB, Radeon HD 5570

HDD: 2.5 Gb

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/23/10 07:27 PM

Hi kjos

The minimum specs for the game are:
Windows XP/Vista/7 with Net Framework 2.0
1.4 GHZ Pentium 4 processor
512 MB RAM
128 MB Direct X 9 compatible graphics card - from ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, Nvidia Geforce 6200TC and Intel GMA X3200
16 bit DirectX 9 compatible soundcard
6.5 GB hard disc space

Hope that helps! smile

N.B. That is from the game manual. Ewil02, perhaps there should be more info than that before you buy but if I'd paid attention to the info available I would have realised that the graphics card I have wasn't upto it!

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/23/10 07:42 PM

thanks so much I'm way over the specs. Now I have just to wait until Feb. to get the game.
Richard
Posted By: lexxy

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/23/10 08:31 PM

I have a Nvidia Geforce7800gs,do you think it will work?

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/23/10 10:44 PM

re: Will this game work on my computer?
I have seen this question come up several times on this forum and others whether such and such game will work on "My computer", just to let you know that it has happened to me with a few games that I bought where it was not playable on my present machine and yes, I was frustrated, but then, when I calmed down, I just simply put that game aside with a note:
"Game(s) to be played later when I upgrade and/or buy a new machine", this way I had "New games" to play later on.
Why do I do this, well Good Adventure games are getting harder and harder to come by, especially the Boxed version, so this way, at least I have the game in my Archives and available for future use.
I hope this makes sense and I apologise if it doesn’t.
Ray

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/23/10 11:34 PM

To get all the Gray Matter download info in one post:

Here is the download link for Gamers Unlimited (a Metaboli affiliate) which will allow you to download the German version of Gray Matter, which also includes the English version.

The site is a German site, so all the instructions are in German. Ewil02 has supplied excellent directions in English for the process:

Quote:
Click on the orange 'download' button.
Click on the orange 'zur kasse' button to go to checkout.
#1-Gray Matter is in the cart-can delete by hitting the 'X'.
#2-need to register a new account- fill in email, confirm email, password, confirm password, input a nickname.
Leave the 'Diese Bestellung ist ein Geschenk' unchecked unless it's a gift.
#3-payment-I just pressed Paypal, but you can fill out the credit card info here- card number, expiry month/year, verification code from back, card holder name, address, PLZ- postal code, Land-if US, select Vereinigte Staaten.

Make sure you check the 'ich stimme den Allgemeinen' (accept the trade conditions), then hit Bestellung bestatigen.
For Paypal, I was taken to the Paypal checkout screen, filled out my password, and hit a confirmation button.

You are then taken to a confirmation screen and should receive an email. Since this is a Metaboli site, you can download using their download manager, or click on the 4 buttons to download each file manually, which is what I did. If you download them manually, make sure they are downloaded to the same folder, then double click on the setup file, and you should be good to go. The email has your serial # to unlock the game.

I was unable to pay for the game by using the site's direct credit card payment (this may be a problem for credit cards from US banks because of the security code on the back of the card) -- instead I clicked on the Paypal option, and was then able to use my US credit card with no problem via Paypal (you do NOT have to be a member of Paypal to use the Paypal credit card option).

I received 2 emails about the game -- the first came immediately confirming the purchase. The code for activation followed about 12 hours later.

You are given a choice during the download/installation process of the language you want to use -- English actually was the default when I did this.

I suggest keeping a page open with Google Translate during the process, so you can copy and paste text in German and have it translated into English, making it easier to read the website if you have any questions, and also making it possible to read the emails when they arrive.

I used the option to download the files individually. Total download time was just under an hour and a half, using a cable modem.

With the current currency conversion, the download cost $49 USD.

Posted By: Kate

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/28/10 04:43 PM

I am trying to purchase Gray Matter per Becky's instructions and after I submit my payment method it gives me a popup which says your payment is processed and just hangs there. I have closed out and tried again,,, still hangs. Closed out again and tried paypal and still hangs. Any ideas?

I sure hope I haven't been charged 3 times.... lol

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/28/10 06:45 PM

Hi Kate- Did you get any emails? I received 2 emails from Gamer Unlimited- one for the set up of the account (username and password), and the other to confirm the purchase-that second one had the download links for the files and the unlock code for the game. I also got a receipt from Paypal for the payment to Gamer Unltd.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/28/10 09:20 PM

Hi Ewil02,
I can't get past the payment page when ordering. It just hangs there and won't move on.... frown

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/28/10 09:47 PM

Hi Kate-

Yeah-It looks like you are having the same credit card problem that Becky had. frown It sounds like you already tried the Paypal option, but I'd restart your computer, start the order process and hit the Paypal button like Becky did above and see if it does the same.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/28/10 09:48 PM

Interestingly enough, Amazon.de seems to have fixed their problem with sending the "boxed" version to the US -- at least for the Collector's Edition of the game.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/28/10 09:52 PM

Is anyone else having the same problem as Kate? I'm curious if it's a widespread issue. frown

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/29/10 11:08 AM

Here is an update.
I finally got through and placed my order. I got the email to download it and started the download. The first bin file took almost 4 hours, which should have told me there was a problem. I have a high speed connection.... but I thought maybe there was a problem on their site. Went to download 2nd bin and after 2 hours the connection went dead. Pulled my hair out for an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't get back online and finally gave up and went to bed.
Woke up and internet was fixed. Seems there was a huge server outage for Comcast and not my PC.
got online and received an email that my payment was rejected.... Don't know why and don't know what to do. Sent an email to support and waiting to hear back. Hope they can read English.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/29/10 04:40 PM

Kate -- did you pay via the credit card option on Paypal? If you didn't pay that way, your card might have been rejected because there's an (apparent) incompatibility with some European sites and the 3 digit code on the back of cards that come from US banks.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/29/10 05:51 PM

Hi Becky,
This is what I received. I received a first email giving me my log in information and then this email.
I went through pay pal.
I called my bank and the payment went through.

I haven't tried to install because it looks like I didn't get the activation code.

My bank tried to call them but the number they had for the transaction wouldn't go through.

I have sent several emails to them and recieved the standard reply....

Waiting to hear from the.

I am so eagerto play this game... frown

Hi,

Thank you for shopping with http://gamerunlimited.gamesplanet.com.

Keep this email handy, as it contains important information.

See you at http://gamerunlimited.gamesplanet.com
Your Gamer Unlimited Team

My Stuff
Date: 11/28/2010
Code: *****
Order Status: Your order will be reviewed.
To prevent Internet payment fraud, we conduct an additional examination. The dispatch of the activation code can only be made after your order has been validated. This test can u.U. several hours to complete. We try to reduce this time to a minimum. If you have not received your activation code within 12 hours, please contact our customer service.

Product Price
Gray Matter 35.95 EUR
Subtotal: 35.95 EUR
My Games
Gray Matter

Quick Download (subject to PC users - the Download Manager must be installed): For fast download

OR

Manual download (If you use a MAC or do not use our Download manager like). Save all files in the same folder:
GrayMatter_Setup.exe
GrayMatter_Setup-1.bin
GrayMatter_Setup-2.bin
GrayMatter_Setup-3.bin

If all the files in the same folder fully downloaded, you can install your game by clicking on the. Exe file and follow the instructions.

ACTIVATION: the activation code you receive after completion of an examination in a second confirmation email.

Need Help?

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/29/10 06:53 PM

Kate -- that looks just like the first email I got from them when I purchased via Paypal (using my credit card). It then took a good 12 hours to hear from them in a separate email about the activation code.

I did not get a separate email saying that my credit card had been refused -- when I didn't use paypal, the site refused my card after I had plugged in the info while still on the website and before I went any further.

Is there a chance the activation email just hasn't been sent yet but will show up within the next few hours?

Sorry I can't be any more helpful. frown Let us know how it goes.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/29/10 07:03 PM

Thanks... I will let you know.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/30/10 01:18 PM

Kate -- did an email with the activation code ever arrive?

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 11/30/10 11:26 PM

No.... They sent me that one email acknowledging my email.... I think it is an automatic thing... and nothing since.

You would think they would want to take my $50... smile

I am bummed!!!

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 12/01/10 12:10 AM

sad And tech support never got back to you?

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 12/01/10 11:03 AM

No.
All I can do is wait and see if they ever respond before February 2011... smile

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 12/01/10 11:10 AM

Not good customer service. frown

Also I'm curious re: Jenny100's info:

Quote:
Interestingly enough, Amazon.de seems to have fixed their problem with sending the "boxed" version to the US -- at least for the Collector's Edition of the game.

Has anyone in the US managed to get Amazon.de to send them the boxed Collector's Edition version yet?
Posted By: Tomer

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 12/01/10 03:03 PM

Becky,
I got yesterday 2 boxed collectors editions from Amazon. A friend of mine (from Israel) ordered them and gave them my address in Berlin, so I'd bring them with me when I go back to Israel.

I don't know details about it, but I'm willing to ask, if you'll tell me what exactly it is I should ask.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 12/01/10 03:47 PM

Hi Tomer -- I'm curious if Amazon.de is now shipping the game to purchasers the US. Are they now shipping it overseas to America, or will they only ship to addresses in Europe?

Not all of us have friends in Berlin who'd be willing get the game and then send it our way. grin

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 12/01/10 11:33 PM

Becky....
I just got back from work and had an email waiting from Metaboli.... It looks like maybe things will be worked out.

Thanks for caring... you are one person whose responses I always read. Always knowledgable and to the point.

I will keep adding as this saga unfolds.

Thanks.

Katie

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 12/01/10 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Becky
Hi Tomer -- I'm curious if Amazon.de is now shipping the game to purchasers the US. Are they now shipping it overseas to America, or will they only ship to addresses in Europe?

Yes they seem to have fixed that problem and now they're sending to the US. So if you want to splurge on an early Christmas present to yourself, go right ahead. There is both the regular version and a Collector's edition.

I'm just guessing, but they may have been prevented from shipping to the US when it was first released because of some distribution agreement they had. Or maybe they wanted to make sure they had enough copies of the game for their European purchasers before they started sending it overseas.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 12/02/10 03:15 AM

Not only that, Jenny, but it looks like the box version (regular) of Gray Matter at Amazon.de has been reduced to 21.97 euros happydance, which is currently $28.82. Shipping charges are still pretty high from Germany though-looks like you add another 14 euros to the US-total would be $47.18 currently.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 12/02/10 05:52 AM

Kate -- great news that they got back to you and things might be worked out! thumbsup

Jenny100 -- that's wonderful that they're shipping overseas now. I tried Amazon.de first for the game, and was surprised to see that they recognized my US Amazon account name and password.

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 12/20/10 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: chrissie

......I can't play anymore than the opening cut scene because as it turns out the PC I'm using at the moment isn't quite upto the system specs so please be sure to check yours out before thinking of buying it......

happydance12 I finally got the dodgy fan replaced on my normal computer & had it up & running on Saturday. I sent an Email then to Gamer Unlimited with an explanation & a request to be able to redownload it onto a different PC (in English + German translation via Google!) They acknowledged my request very quickly & today re-sent me the download links along with the activation key - what a nice company! thumbsUp12

I installed the Download Manager but that doesn't seem to want 'to play' so I'm doing it manually. I will mention, incase anyone else has this problem, that when I tried using the links in the Email the download time for one of the files was 23 hours - I thought it will take me until February to download this game at that rate! rolleyes12 I found by logging in directly to Games Unlimited Gamesplanet & using the links from there that the download time is much less! yay12

Re: Gray Matter Amazon Germany download - 12/21/10 02:28 AM

Thanks for the info chrissie! wave12
© 2024 GameBoomers Community