GB HOMEPAGE

Adventure games?

Posted By: sanford

Adventure games? - 02/04/14 10:14 PM

Hello Fellow Boomers,
Am I the only one who is noticing a LACK of Adventure games being released, lately? There's plenty of Casual games and Hidden Object games around. My only hope that there will be some "real" Adventure games released sometime this year. I'm yearning for some more games in the venue of Syberia, Tex Murphy, and the like. Also some MYST-like games, as well.
Sandy
Posted By: MaG

Re: Adventure games? - 02/05/14 02:06 AM

There are some adventure games that are forthcoming. It seems that they do get released in bunches though in between times or "rest". lol

Re: Adventure games? - 02/05/14 03:17 AM

I guess you're right, Mag.
Sandy
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Adventure games? - 02/05/14 11:29 AM

I'm ready for a true adventure game like Myst or Syberia or .....!
Posted By: Mad

Re: Adventure games? - 02/05/14 03:36 PM

I must be one of the slowest players ever - as I never seem to make even the smallest dent on my "not yet played" stack and so still have lots of unplayed Adventures !! whistle
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Adventure games? - 02/05/14 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
I must be one of the slowest players ever - as I never seem to make even the smallest dent on my "not yet played" stack and so still have lots of unplayed Adventures !!

I still have lots of unplayed older ones on the shelf.
But the newer ones are all insubstantial "bits-in-the-air" and have no physical presence.
I don't even burn the installation files to DVD any more because they always seem to get updated versions. I hardly ever see patches anymore -- just a whole new humongous download.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Adventure games? - 02/05/14 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100

But the newer ones are all insubstantial "bits-in-the-air" and have no physical presence.

Yes, and therefore I really appreciate the fact that the Nancy Drew games (Her Interactive) and the Carol Reed Mysteries (Mikael) still offer disk versions. wave
Posted By: traveler

Re: Adventure games? - 02/05/14 08:05 PM

True, but one could make the argument that disks are fragile and games "in the air" are always there for download and undamaged.
If you suspect they will disappear for some reason, you still have the option to download them and burn them to disk.
DRM-free, anyway.

Gil.
Posted By: BubbaJake

Re: Adventure games? - 02/05/14 10:38 PM

I prefer disc versions, although I have some downloads, I don't always like the experience of downloading and there's no box to enjoy. I love Carol Reed and there's one due in March. Tex Murphy is my all time favorite and has 'Tesla Effect' due out about March, also. 'Prominence' is HOPEFULLY going to be released soon, March as well, if we're really very good.
Posted By: ipad_Lover

Re: Adventure games? - 02/06/14 02:21 AM

The PC has a few "real" adventures coming out for 2014, including:

Broken Sword 5, Part 2

Broken Age

Gods will be watching

Harvest

Testla Effect

Moebius

Murdered: Soul Suspect

Shadowgate

Gabriel Knight 1 20th aniversary edition

Dreamfall Chapters

And that is only some of them. The PS Vita has Danganronda coming out next week and we always can count on 2 Nancy Drew games.

Looks to me that 2014 will be a busy one for all!

Posted By: MaG

Re: Adventure games? - 02/06/14 02:34 AM

You can also check GameBoomers Latest and Upcoming page.

You can also find the link at top of the page.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Adventure games? - 02/06/14 04:19 AM

Ipad, Serena is a short free game that has been released already as you can see Here.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Adventure games? - 02/06/14 11:25 AM

I also prefer disk versions of games because they sit on my shelf where I can browse thru them and pick what I want to play. If the games are in the "clouds" I don't get to see the boxes and compare them side by side. It's a changing world but I sure prefer a "book in hand" to a "book on Kindle"! That will never change for me!

Re: Adventure games? - 02/06/14 01:07 PM

I found Serena on another major site's list of upcoming games - I've removed it from mine.

Download games have their advantages - no waiting for the game to be released to your local store, don't have to prebuy the game to make sure you get a copy.

But - I own some beautiful games physical copies and still love the collector's editions when I can find them.

Re: Adventure games? - 02/06/14 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Kaki's Sister
I also prefer disk versions of games because they sit on my shelf where I can browse thru them and pick what I want to play. If the games are in the "clouds" I don't get to see the boxes and compare them side by side. It's a changing world but I sure prefer a "book in hand" to a "book on Kindle"! That will never change for me!

I so agree !!!! yay
Posted By: ssgamer

Re: Adventure games? - 02/07/14 03:41 AM

Disk versions of games, yes. I do have down loads, but walls of games and books, that's my way of life. Even if I do hate to dust.

Charllotte

Re: Adventure games? - 02/09/14 10:34 PM

Come to think of it, fellow Boomers, has anybody heard any news about the release date of "AMARHYS"?
Sandy
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Adventure games? - 02/09/14 11:42 PM

The last update from the developer is Feb 2013 and he said he is doing this alone and he will finish at some point. When there is an update we'll be sure and announce it, but I would not expect it soon.

Ana wave

Re: Adventure games? - 02/10/14 02:52 AM

Thanks so much for YOUR update on this game release info, Ana.
Sandy
Posted By: diego15

Re: Adventure games? - 02/16/14 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: sanford
Hello Fellow Boomers,
Am I the only one who is noticing a LACK of Adventure games being released, lately?

Based on this site (left corner with years), there's a slight increase of number of adventures released from 2010. till now.
Posted By: LeBelleRachael

Re: Adventure games? - 02/16/14 05:40 PM

"Based on this site (left corner with years), there's a slight increase of number of adventures released from 2010. till now."

Thanx 4 the link! rah
Posted By: Salar of Myst

Re: Adventure games? - 02/17/14 12:56 AM

Yes, that's a great link! I had forgotten which games were released when.

Re: Adventure games? - 02/19/14 01:11 AM

One publisher said digital distribution has really helped adventure games and has resulted in an increase in sales.

I still buy some games as physical copies - however I am buying more and more games in digital format.
Posted By: gruffy

Re: Adventure games? - 03/02/14 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: sanford
Hello Fellow Boomers,
Am I the only one who is noticing a LACK of Adventure games being released, lately? There's plenty of Casual games and Hidden Object games around. My only hope that there will be some "real" Adventure games released sometime this year. I'm yearning for some more games in the venue of Syberia, Tex Murphy, and the like. Also some MYST-like games, as well.
Sandy

I hate going into GAME and just seeing that there's only first person shooters or hidden object games.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Adventure games? - 03/02/14 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: gruffy
I hate going into GAME and just seeing that there's only first person shooters or hidden object games.

Not sure what "GAME" is, but "contamination" of adventure game lists has been a problem since before I started playing adventure games.

It would be nice to have an interactive adventure game list with the ability to restrict which games are listed by filtering out characteristics that make a game unplayable or undesirable in some other way. For example, you might choose to filter out things like
  • games that include QTE's,
  • tend to cause motion sickness
  • episodic games (unless the entire series is available)
  • lack of puzzles
  • no DRM-free version available
  • game "too short" (would have to be defined, maybe 2 hrs or less)
  • dexterity requirements above a certain level
  • game too casual/easy
  • free vs. retail
  • 2D vs 2.5D vs 3D
  • 1st person vs 3rd person
  • point-and-click vs keyboard/controller-only
    etc.

Since no such interactive list is available, everyone has to make their own individual lists, looking up each game and checking a review for each one (or checking a gameplay video) in order to decide if it's something they might like or not. It's better to start with the listings at PAGODA than at Mobygames, since it's been many years since Mobygames was able to distinguish between Adventure and Action/Adventure.

Re: Adventure games? - 03/04/14 07:31 AM

I don't entirely agree with you, Mad, about boxed games. There are many advantages to downloading games. Once paid for, you can download and play them IMMEDIATELY. I have shelves FULL of boxed games. Once in a while I re-play a few of them, but mostly, they just "sit there". When I download a game, I put the "Setup file" in a "safe" place so that I can always access it again if I want to replay it again. My "safe place" is on an external hard drive.
Sandy

Re: Adventure games? - 03/04/14 01:25 PM

I guess it just comes down to personal preference, sanford ?? wink

Although I haven't been able to avoid having to download some games, the majority of my purchases are still boxed games on disk with a paper manual of some kind included - and that's how I like it grin

We probably differ also in that I replay games all the time - especially the older ones - however I don't experience any more hassle installing from a disk than I do going from the set-up file of a download smile

Re: Adventure games? - 03/05/14 02:49 AM

I agree with you mad. It is just a matter of personal preference. I TOO have a LOT of older baxed games, so I CAN definitely identify with you on that. HAVE FUN!
Sandy
Posted By: Orfyn

Re: Adventure games? - 03/05/14 04:38 PM

I live in a rural area, where dial-up was the only internet available for a long time, and I deeply resented the switch from boxed games to down load. I once tried downloading a game 5 hours, and then files got corrupted. Tried again, 6 hours and still incomplete. Only recently was able to get high speed internet. Now I love download games. There are some old ones I still would love to see that are not available, such as "The Neverhood", and "The Legend of Lotus Spring". All those old Cryo and Dreamcatcher games as well.
Posted By: gruffy

Re: Adventure games? - 03/07/14 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Originally Posted By: gruffy

Not sure what "GAME" is, but "contamination" of adventure game lists has been a problem since before I started playing adventure games.

It would be nice to have an interactive adventure game list with the ability to restrict which games are listed by filtering out characteristics that make a game unplayable or undesirable in some other way. For example, you might choose to filter out things like
  • games that include QTE's,
  • tend to cause motion sickness
  • episodic games (unless the entire series is available)
  • lack of puzzles
  • no DRM-free version available
  • game "too short" (would have to be defined, maybe 2 hrs or less)
  • dexterity requirements above a certain level
  • game too casual/easy
  • free vs. retail
  • 2D vs 2.5D vs 3D
  • 1st person vs 3rd person
  • point-and-click vs keyboard/controller-only
    etc.

Since no such interactive list is available, everyone has to make their own individual lists, looking up each game and checking a review for each one (or checking a gameplay video) in order to decide if it's something they might like or not. It's better to start with the listings at PAGODA than at Mobygames, since it's been many years since Mobygames was able to distinguish between Adventure and Action/Adventure.

Hi, Game is a nationwide computer games shop in the UK.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community