GB HOMEPAGE

Game length database

Posted By: TJL

Game length database - 11/06/14 05:39 PM

Hi,

have you ever been interested to know how long it takes for an average gamer to play through the game you consider buying? Is it worth for the money what it comes to the game length?

Well, I have been and now I found a web site to answer that question: howlongtobeat.com. It makes the decision a lot easier! smile

Timo
Posted By: Marian

Re: Game length database - 11/06/14 05:48 PM

Thanks, Timo. My son told me about this website a few months ago. It's a nice reference. wave
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Game length database - 11/06/14 06:30 PM

Interesting and useful! I can vouch for both Skyrim and Animal Crossing as eating up many, many happy hours. laugh
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Game length database - 11/06/14 06:35 PM

truthfully, I think the times listed are for those going for a marathon rush through. I just looked up the last two games I played and I have to say it was waaaaaay off my time. Even if I played with a WT, it wouldn't be done so quickly. I think it may scare some off of buying games.
Posted By: Kickaha

Re: Game length database - 11/06/14 11:06 PM

I'm a slow player myself - embarrassed by how long it takes me to get through games compared with reviews I read!

Re: Game length database - 11/06/14 11:14 PM

I am sure developers that spend hours on tiny details appreciate those of us that stop to smell the roses along the way. Nothing to be embarrassed about Peter.

Ana wave
Posted By: RebKean

Re: Game length database - 11/07/14 10:53 AM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
truthfully, I think the times listed are for those going for a marathon rush through. I just looked up the last two games I played and I have to say it was waaaaaay off my time. Even if I played with a WT, it wouldn't be done so quickly. I think it may scare some off of buying games.

After looking at the website for a few minutes, I can say that there are more statistics than just one number. Since it is based on players, there are variations, and you can also see how long it has taken for the slowest player.

So all you have to do now is play all the games on the site, and add you hours to the list!
No biggie right? wink
Posted By: Mad

Re: Game length database - 11/07/14 02:35 PM

Statistics of that nature are worthless to me ....

Where some players complete a game in days, I can not only take weeks I can take MONTHS !!!! oops

Re: Game length database - 11/07/14 03:15 PM

Well, look at it as a great place to look for oldies then?
Just search after years and get reminded of some nice games. =)

Re: Game length database - 11/07/14 03:26 PM

Hi RebKean smile

I still have all my favourite oldies in their original format - and - I still have an old machine that's able to play them.
[Although I now do also own versions of many of them tweaked to play on modern machines, for when the day comes my oldest machine says goodbye eek ]

I am a very happy gamer rah

Cheers.

Mad grin

Re: Game length database - 11/07/14 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Hi RebKean smile

I still have all my favourite oldies in their original format - and - I still have an old machine that's able to play them.
[Although I now do also own versions of many of them tweaked to play on modern machines, for when the day comes my oldest machine says goodbye eek ]

I am a very happy gamer rah

Cheers.

Mad grin

My old computer didn't want to go with me when I moved the last time.
I miss it now, let me tell you!
But when you're in a lot of pressure and time is running out,
you have to prioritize, sadly.

Never mind, I'll use this computer when it's time for a new one.
Or wait for it to be realeased on/by GOG. thumbsup
Posted By: Mikael

Re: Game length database - 11/08/14 03:23 AM

Interesting site. It certainly won't help me choose games though, since I don't really care about the length, as long as the game is good.

The first playthrough of the latest Carol Reed game took me about 40 hours. Should I add that to their list? Maybe a good way to boost sales. smile

Re: Game length database - 11/08/14 04:28 AM

I think you should Mikael!

Re: Game length database - 11/08/14 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Mikael
Interesting site. It certainly won't help me choose games though, since I don't really care about the length, as long as the game is good.

The first playthrough of the latest Carol Reed game took me about 40 hours. Should I add that to their list? Maybe a good way to boost sales. smile

I didn't find any Carol Reed-games there, so you should of course do that!
It would probably take me at least 40 hours as well, if I didn't use the journal, hehe.

Re: Game length database - 11/08/14 02:16 PM

"It certainly won't help me choose games though, since I don't really care about the length, as long as the game is good. "

I second that !! yes
Posted By: HandsFree

Re: Game length database - 11/08/14 07:39 PM

Interesting site. It won't help me decide what to buy, but it might help decide what to play.
While the actual number of hours mentioned may be different from my experience I'm assuming (hoping) that relative playtimes are more or less realistic.

I've played Broken Sword 1 and now I know that Tesla Effect is significantly longer and Lilly Looking Through is much shorter. I find that useful to know when deciding what to try next. smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community