GB HOMEPAGE

Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/02/16 03:41 PM

Myst creator announces street date for highly-anticipated Obduction PC VR game.

E3 to get first playable VR demo and reveal of riveting new world.

We’re so excited to once again immerse players in new worlds that offer that same feeling that Myst did — of being swept away into a story and environments that become their world.

Quote:
Spokane, WA (PRWEB) June 02, 2016

Cyan, Inc. the award-winning creators of Myst and Riven, today announced that Obduction, their highly-anticipated adventure game, will be launching simultaneously on PC, Mac and Oculus Rift, and will be available for download from Steam, GOG.com, Humble Store, Mac App Store, and the Oculus Store on July 26, 2016 for $29.99.

An official selection of the IndieCade @ E3 Showcase, Obduction will have a new world playable at E3, Kaptar, which features soaring cliffs with precarious pathways that lead to ancient architecture, gargantuan machinery, and curious lifeforms. Also available for play at E3 will be a demo of the unusual world of Hunrath, a bizarre scoop of Earth that includes red rock canyons and a midwestern farmhouse complete with white picket fence - nestled eerily in an alien landscape.

Obduction’s first playable VR demo will be unveiled at the E3 UploadVR Party where Cyan’s co-founder Rand Miller will discuss unique features of the game and the development experience.

“We’re so excited to once again immerse players in new worlds that offer that same feeling that Myst did — of being swept away into a story and environments that become their world. It’s been invigorating to build this new place with today's technology to offer the best PC and Mac experience we could. And Obduction in VR crosses an exciting threshold in a new immersive era.” said Rand Miller, CEO and Co-founder of Cyan.

About Obduction:
Obduction is a captivating Kickstarter-backed adventure game, from Cyan, Inc. the indie studio that created the award-winning Myst and Riven. The game is launching simultaneously on PC, Mac and Oculus Rift. Created using Epic’s Unreal Engine 4, Obduction takes advantage of the latest graphics technology, including NVIDIA HDR, Simultaneous Multi-Projection, and Ansel. Check out the Obduction Teaser Trailer featuring an evocative soundtrack by Robyn Miller, and visit Obduction's Website, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Obduction will be available on Steam, GOG.com, Humble Store, Mac App Store, and the Oculus Store on July 26, 2016 for $29.99.

Happy Gaming!

Ana wave
Posted By: MaG

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/02/16 03:44 PM

Thanks Ana. smile
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/02/16 08:47 PM

thanks Ana
Posted By: plumgas

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/03/16 06:20 AM

very high specs for this game, Memory 8gb video card 1gb & recommended is a crazy 16gb ram & 4gb video card.

System Requirements
Windows Mac OS X
MINIMUM:
Processor: CPU Intel i5-2500 equivalent or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 660 GTX w/1GB / AMD 7700 series w/1GB equivalent or better
Storage: 20 GB available space
RECOMMENDED:
Processor: CPU Intel i5-4590 equivalent or better
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 w/4 GB / AMD R9 290 w/4 GB equivalent or better
Storage: 20 GB available space
Posted By: Mad

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/03/16 07:31 AM

Thanks, BrownEyedTigre smile I expect all the Myst fans will be happy !! laugh
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/03/16 09:23 AM

Awesome!!!
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/03/16 09:40 AM

Plumgas. Those are very high specs indeed.
Cathy
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/03/16 09:43 AM

Sounds wonderful but I don't think my iMac meets the specs.
Posted By: gamenut

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/03/16 11:20 PM

Figures...my win 7 64 bit just not got enough ram or video oomph. lets me out. probably for a long long time...till I can actually afford something to meet those specs. too bad. may never get to play it.
Well, hoping other good games will be still developed that will.
Too bad they cannot add more areas to the online Uru...that would be pretty awesome for just about everybody!
Posted By: gremlin

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/04/16 12:00 PM

Cyan have always pushed the envelope with the specs for their games, so it's not really a surprise to see high specs for this one. I think my autumn 2015 upgrade actually meets them for once!
Posted By: dianne

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/04/16 11:04 PM

I can hardly wait to play obduction as some time ago I had backed it cant remember when though checked my system spec guess iam ok almost ran out to borrow my sister computer but the I forgot she and her husband went for a vacation to the Isle of man her husbands grandfather was born there and I guess that he has some family there. nice trip lol wave

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/05/16 06:17 PM

The Isle of Man is a lovely place to visit ... it's even better living here laugh
I hope your sister and husband have an amazing trip.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/14/16 05:26 AM

Mike Dogherra from Cyan discusses the system requirements for Obduction
http://obduction.com/468-2/

Don't miss the picture of his computer at
http://obduction.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/WP_20160524_17_19_45_Pro.jpg
A very steampunk-looking computer...

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 06/14/16 02:16 PM

I hope my computer holds up!

Thanks, Jenny!

Ana wave
Posted By: Murphy

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 07/07/16 02:41 PM

Wow...some specs! I've been looking forward to this since I heard about it, and think (even with some upgrades in place) I'll squeeze past the minimum requirements, but I really have to wonder how many folks are carrying around 16 gig RAM...I'd guess pretty few.
I'll all for a developer 'stretching the envelope', as another said, but it sure seems like they limit their own market quite a bit here!
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 07/08/16 09:47 AM

Jenny thanks for the links.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 07/08/16 03:07 PM

I see plumgas beat me to it! Chief had emailed me the system specs and I was surprised to see this game is going to require a pretty hefty computer with a very good dedicated video card and a lot of RAM.

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 07/08/16 04:20 PM

I've got "8" (RAM) so looks like I can count myself out !! crazy

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 07/08/16 07:41 PM

If by "8" you mean 8 GB, then if your video card meets the requirements, you are good to go.

Processor: CPU Intel i5-2500 equivalent or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 660 GTX w/1GB / AMD 7700 series w/1GB equivalent or better
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 07/09/16 01:17 AM

My non working Dell has 16 GB Ram but I went down to 8 on this computer. My card should be good though. But the game will probably make me seasick.

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 07/09/16 04:54 PM

Draclvr ....

I can hardly ever work out "what beats what" in stuff these days lol

This is what Speccy says I have .... but would it be enough ??

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz

1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 07/09/16 06:06 PM

According to GPU Boss, your 560 Ti "might" be able to play it, but you may have to run off some graphics options. The thing is, those are the MINIMUM specs, not the recommended specs which are much higher.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-660-vs-GeForce-GTX-560-Ti

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 07/09/16 07:43 PM

Thanks, Draclvr.

As I still have plenty of "not yet played" games that I know my my machine WILL play, I might just be giving this one a miss then till I get a little more "in need" lol
Posted By: SirDave

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 07/09/16 11:48 PM

I'm skeptical about the spec requirements to play Obduction. If they are correct, then Cyan can count on selling about 3 copies. smile
Posted By: Jim196347

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 07/11/16 06:06 AM

I know, right? No way can I run it!

Jim
Posted By: plumgas

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/07/16 02:45 AM

you will only need 8gb ram to run it but your video card must have 1gb

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/07/16 04:17 AM

Note that toward the end of Mike Dogherra's explanation of specs at
http://obduction.com/468-2/
he also says
Originally Posted By: Mike Dogherra
The one area that makes a huge difference with the game, and isn’t necessarily reflected in the system specs is hard drive/ system storage speed. We do a *lot* of streaming from the drive during gameplay, and slower drives have a terrible time keeping up. A generic traditional mechanical hard drive is going to see a lot of hitching and pausing during the game while it loads in. Outside of a video card, upgrading your drive to a solid-state drive if you haven’t yet will make a huge impact in how smooth of an experience you’ll have with the game, along with being a very nice and very noticeable upgrade for your machine in general.

So in addition to
  • new video card
  • (probably) new power supply to accommodate new video card
  • case fan(s) to help cool new video card
  • more memory
  • (possibly) also a new processor
most Myst fans will probably also need to purchase a good quality SSD to install the game on.

It's a far cry from simply having to buy a CD drive for Myst back in 1993.

Though I suppose it's better than having to buy a new home in a part of the country that has high speed Internet fast enough for their online version of Uru back in 2003 (in addition to buying any new computer parts to run Uru).
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/07/16 09:13 AM

I am impressed you did that Jenny!!

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/07/16 04:34 PM

Phew !! I would say, then, that I'm definitely not enough of a Myst fan !!!! eek

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/07/16 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: flotsam
I am impressed you did that Jenny!!

I most certainly didn't.
But if I'd wanted to play the online version of Uru when it came out
"as the developers intended"
that's exactly what I'd have had to do. Only dialup was available where I lived, and it was neither fast enough nor stable enough for Uru.

It's too bad Cyan didn't wait until broadband was more widely available before deciding to make an online game. It seems like their target audience is either rich people or people living 5 years in the future.

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/07/16 08:44 PM

The other way to look at that, Jenny, is to say that Cyan have always pushed at the boundaries for their games. How many computer owners would have bothered to buy a CD drive if it hadn't been for Myst? In fact, it has long been the computer games industry as a whole that has pushed the demand for PC performance.

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/12/16 11:35 PM

Quote:
The other way to look at that, Jenny, is to say that Cyan have always pushed at the boundaries for their games.

Riven is arguably Cyan's best game, and it did not "push boundaries."
By 1997, when Riven was published, most people already had a CD drive, a computer 100MHz or faster, and a video card capable of 16-bit color at 640x480 resolution.

Quote:
How many computer owners would have bothered to buy a CD drive if it hadn't been for Myst?

All of them.
There were plenty of uses for a CD drive that had nothing to do with games. Games weren't the only software that would have required a ridiculous number of floppies to install. Some software, like encyclopedias, was designed to run off a CD because hard drives were so small back in the 1990's. And many non-gamers enjoyed listening to music CD's at their computer. A CD drive's usefulness wasn't limited to games. Eventually a CD drive became standard issue with a new computer -- something that has never happened with high end 3d video cards that are only needed for playing certain games.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/12/16 11:41 PM

I got my first CD-ROM drive so that I could play the 7th Guest. smile

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/12/16 11:46 PM

7th Guest certainly predated Myst.
Posted By: BubbaJake

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/15/16 04:16 AM

My first one came standard with my PC, so it wasn't to play any game.
Posted By: Uncle Reg

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/15/16 06:17 AM

I remember the first CD drive I had was a Sony, and it didn't have a drawer that extends like modern drives. You had to put the CD in a caddy, and insert the caddy into the drive.
Posted By: ChuckO

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/24/16 09:16 PM

Reminds me of Return to Zork..same format but not as funny. Need a walkthrough. Brain too old to figure out weird puzzles.
Posted By: boidsonly

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/24/16 09:49 PM

Obduction available starting today at these locations:

http://obduction.com/

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/24/16 09:53 PM

There will be a press release soon...
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/24/16 10:01 PM

Had to throw in my 1 & 1/2 cents on this. Collectively, you're experiencing something that's not uncommon with our Darkside games (RPG, FPS and so on.) While there are plenty of "retro" style games in those genres out there, many game houses push the graphics edge to make the game as aesthetically attractive as possible. With the new hardware, platforms and graphic engines, I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't become as common in more genres.

This is also the first really big production in some time from a game house that has had its share of issues. It makes senses, when coming out with something like this to make a splash and to future proof their brand/product. Personally, I think this move to release a game that takes advantage of new and current tech was smart and will bring other players to Cyan that would not normally have taken notice, especially the VR potential of the game. I believe it will do very well if it is stable and as amazing as it seems.

The other thing to take into account is that I'm sure they are including features that will allow people to tweak performance to help less powerful machines compensate.

OK, I'll go back to my cage now lol

Edit: One other thing I forgot to mention regarding this:

Originally Posted By: Jenny100

Don't miss the picture of his computer at
http://obduction.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/WP_20160524_17_19_45_Pro.jpg
A very steampunk-looking computer...

That's a "Bench Test" computer. The open frame work is used so someone can test out their proposed PC build before stuffing it into a tower OR it is also commonly used for prelim testing of programs and probably in this case games against a varying array of Vid Cards and other hardware to see how it proofs out.

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/25/16 08:32 AM

Loved seeing that "Bench Test" computer, Trail_Mystic. Makes me want one !! laugh
Posted By: Upsydaisy

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/25/16 09:39 AM

Just started playing this-I have 8GB RAM and a Nvidia GT 950, so the game runs really well, no lagging at all. If you get motion sickness (Me) you can choose to play 'point and click' or free roam. The initial load time takes a good 4 minutes! but once you are in the game no more loading screens. Lots of discussions on Steam if you want to read before you buy. So far can recommend it. wave
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/26/16 01:59 AM

Thanks for that "point and click" info Upsydaisy!
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: Cyan Announces Obduction Release Date - 08/26/16 02:10 AM

Thank you guys it is fun to do and if it helps people to decide on what games they may like all the better.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community