GB HOMEPAGE

Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 01:01 PM

THQ Nordic announces a new game: “Black Mirror” is scheduled for release this November. A new adventure from the famous, spine-chilling franchise will be released on November 28, 2017 on PC, PlayStation®4 and Xbox One.

View the Traiiler here.

Check out the Official Website here.

Quote:
Vienna/Austria, Bremen/Germany: 16th August 2017 – THQ Nordic is thrilled to reveal its new project: Black Mirror, a Gothic horror adventure, due for release on 28th November 2017. The game will be developed by the Bremen studio KING Art Games, known for “The Book of Unwritten Tales”, “The Dwarves” and “The Raven”, and will be available on PC/Mac/Linux, PS4 and Xbox One.

Black Mirror - The Brand

The game name may already exist one way or another, and no, we’re not talking about the Netflix series. The first part of the creepy adventure series was released in 2004 as “The Black Mirror”, which produced two more spin-offs, “Black Mirror II” (2009) and “Black Mirror III” (2011).

But don’t worry, even players unfamiliar with the previous games in the series can also enjoy Black Mirror, because this reboot of the franchise tells a totally independent and new story. The major difference between the new and old Black Mirror, apart from the modern graphics of course, will be a new gameplay element: interaction with vision-like apparitions.

THQ Nordic & KING Art

“One of the outstanding features of the Black Mirror game series is the unique atmosphere which was essentially created by KING Art in the original trilogy. We have developed a new interpretation that both retains the strengths of the original games and gives us more room to explore fresh possibilities in terms of gameplay so that players can experience the world of Black Mirror in a more direct and free way, and not “just” in classic point-and-click style.” – Martin Kreuch, Producer at THQ Nordic.

“Black Mirror is a series that is really close to my heart, and it was fantastic to be immersed in the Gothic horror genre again; the human psyche is a fascinating playground!” – Achim Heidelauf, Producer “Black Mirror” (2017), Director & Writer “Black Mirror II” (2009).

“Black Mirror II” (2009) was the first big adventure KING Art worked on, and it’s fantastic to be able to create the new world of the Gordons and Black Mirror. We will be emphasising the unsettling atmosphere and the meticulous detail that the fans of a Black Mirror title have come to expect.” Jan Theysen, Creative Director KING Art Games.

Happy Gaming!

Ana wave
Posted By: GBC

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 01:35 PM

Thanks Ana, I've played all the Black Mirror games and enjoyed them. Looking forward to the release of this one. rah
Posted By: Mad

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 03:12 PM

Wow !! How wonderful !! Will definitely be hoping to purchase this one happydance

Thank you, BrownEyedTigre thumbsup
Posted By: JDE

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 04:08 PM

I liked all the Black Mirror games,but I hope it's point and click and no quick actions please,like the way they spoiled Holmes The devils Daughter.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 04:26 PM

Definitely interested in this one! smile

What a wonderful surprise this is.

Thank you for the news, Ana!
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 04:43 PM

It will be interesting to see what this is like.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 05:06 PM

So is this Black Mirror 4 or a reboot of the first Black Mirror?
Posted By: judith

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 05:21 PM

That's what I was wondering also Jenny100.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 06:11 PM

The trailer text says this:

Quote:
Scotland, 1926. Following the death of his father, David Gordon visits his ancestral home for the first time in his life. A life that is soon threatened by the dark secrets that claimed the sanity of many Gordons before him. Blood is not always thicker than water.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Marian
The trailer text says this:

I saw that, but I never heard of a "David" Gordon before. Only Samuel and Darren.
The description doesn't tell me whether it's a "Black Mirror 4" or a complete reboot of the series.
It could be a prequel that takes place in 1926.
Or it could be a complete reboot that takes place in 1926.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 06:27 PM

I am presuming it's an entirely new game and not a re-hash - on reading this snippet from the announcement BrownEyedTigre posted :

"But don’t worry, even players unfamiliar with the previous games in the series can also enjoy Black Mirror, because this reboot of the franchise tells a totally independent and new story."

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 06:29 PM

Mad,
So it is a complete reboot and the previous games are no longer a valid part of the storyline of the first three? That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 07:20 PM

Well, it could still be a good game - with a similar theme - even if it isn't exactly the same format think

I think I'll be giving it a go, anyway smile

Unless, of course, I hear something really detrimental about it before it gets released !! lol

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 09:48 PM

The story line can be found here.

This may answer some questions:

Quote:
About Black Mirror
Like in the original graphic adventure trilogy, the Gothic Horror genre and its unique atmosphere of madness and psychological distress remains at the heart of Black Mirror.

The point-and-click gameplay of the original trilogy served as the basis for the re-imagined gameplay, which focuses on close-up investigation and interaction with nightmarish visions that plague the protagonist of the game David Gordon.

Key Features
• A modern re-imagining of the acclaimed gothic-horror adventure series
• Interactions with vision-like apparitions which help you learn more about the past of your family
• Eerie atmosphere focusing on the horrors of the mind, in the style of EA Poe and HP Lovecraft
• High quality voice acting from a compelling ensemble cast

Ana wave
Posted By: kazzmo

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/16/17 11:40 PM

This is great happydanceLove The Black Mirror games.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/17/17 02:11 AM

Phew !! scared

That was SOME unsettling trailer, thank you, BrownEyedTigre lol
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/17/17 02:28 AM

This looks really good... definitely putting it on my list!
Posted By: revco

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/17/17 02:57 AM

Wow...looks awesome. Thank you for posting this.
Posted By: venus

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/17/17 04:14 AM

Wow, what a beautiful and creepy looking game! eek From the description on the website and in the trailer, it sounds to me like the game is a prequel, which I'm fine with. Really looking forward to it, so long as those interactions with the apparitions don't imply action sequences. wink Thanks for the news, Ana! Looking forward to finding out more and hopefully playing the game. woot
Posted By: connie

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/17/17 12:27 PM

Wow, can't wait for this game to be released. I love The Black Mirror games. smile
Posted By: Tracy

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/17/17 11:59 PM

Oh this is great news! I can't wait to see how they create this game. Loved the old Black Mirror games!

Thanks for posting about this!
Tracy
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/18/17 09:06 AM

it looks amazing! Thanks Ana.
Posted By: FlyingDutchman42

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/18/17 12:42 PM

I am also a big fan of The Black Mirror series.
and am therefore looking forward to the game
On the famous german "pc games.de" site, that I
often visit,the specifications are also mentioned.
Important is that one should have at least
8 Gigabytes of RAM to be able to play the game.
So one should be prepared when the game comes out! wave2

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/18/17 03:30 PM

What did it say about a video card, FlyingDutchman42?
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/19/17 05:55 AM

rah rah

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/19/17 11:15 AM

The minimum requirements are:

Windows 7,8,8.1,10(64-bit)
Intel Q 9650/ AMD Phenom II x4 940
8 Gigabyte RAM
Geforce GTX 660/Radeon 7870- 2 Gigabyte VRAM
DirectX 11
11 Gigabyte of free hard disc space yes

Rob (which is fortunate cause I have an AMD phenom II x4!) joy2

Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/19/17 01:35 PM

Quote "11 Gigabyte of free hard disc space"
I will have to go to a friends house to download this as it would take me 2 weeks with my download speed...lol...this is one reason I like disc's not downloads.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/19/17 03:21 PM

Wow, some very hefty video requirements too. What video card do you have, Rob?

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/19/17 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Winfrey
"11 Gigabyte of free hard disc space"
I will have to go to a friends house to download this as it would take me 2 weeks with my download speed...

The download itself wouldn't be that large.
It requires extra space to expand files and install them.

A bigger concern are the memory and video card requirements, considering what they list are supposed to be the "minimum."

I wonder if they've been working on it for a while.
Otherwise how would they manage to release it in late November this year -- a little over 3 months from now.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/19/17 04:42 PM

I have a AMD Phenom II x4 965 Processor
(which wasn't bad at all, four years ago or so)
and a AMD Radeon HD 5700 (which wasn't bad at all,
four years ago or so ... haha sad How time fly's!)
Oh, I almost forgot my 4 Gigabyt RAM ... slapforehead
Posted By: LeBelleRachael

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/20/17 04:23 PM

Hmmm....Cool! bravo I loved the first 3, is this like a prequel!!! think

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/20/17 04:53 PM

It looks like a prequel, yes, as the story takes place in 1926. thumbsup
Posted By: GBC

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/21/17 02:36 PM

hearts bravo
Posted By: Creeping_Doom

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/27/17 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: FlyingDutchman42
The minimum requirements are:

Windows 7,8,8.1,10(64-bit)
Intel Q 9650/ AMD Phenom II x4 940
8 Gigabyte RAM
Geforce GTX 660/Radeon 7870- 2 Gigabyte VRAM
DirectX 11
11 Gigabyte of free hard disc space yes

Rob (which is fortunate cause I have an AMD phenom II x4!) joy2

Doesn't look too bad , these requirements .
Posted By: mgd9000

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/28/17 08:07 PM

It's not point and click. Looks cheap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joeHL5HucPg

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/28/17 08:43 PM

I just watched the video on the YouTube link you provided, mgd9000, but have to say I didn't come away with the impression of a cheap looking game woozy

It was interesting to note that it's not intended to be any kind of "prequel" or "sequel" but rather a totally "stand alone" game with the similarity/connection to the earlier Black Mirror Trilogy being the thread of insanity running through the story.

And whilst it not being a point& click affair won't put me off, I am a little concerned at the mention of "quick interactions" - which I am hoping are not descriptions of action sequences requiring quick reactions eek

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/28/17 09:02 PM

If it's keyboard and mouse, I won't mind. After watching that video, it's obvious that it isn't going to be pure point and click. However, as Mad said, if there are quick-time events in the game, I will have to reconsider whether or not I want to play it.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/28/17 11:39 PM

You're right, Mad. It doesn't look like it's a prequel after all, as this game takes place in Scotland. (I'll just imagine the family has more than one castle to make everything fit together in my head. lol) I agree it doesn't look cheap at all. It's a very nice looking game, although the cut scene graphics in the trailer are even more beautiful. smile I'm sure that would be hard to maintain throughout the whole game, however.

I'm actually somewhat relieved to hear the interactions with apparitions only include quick time events and nothing as long and intense as what I've seen in the newest Sherlock Holmes. Not that I enjoy quick time events at all - I'm disappointed this appears to be a trend now - but I'm used to them after playing so many Telltale games. It looks as though the majority of the game is exploration, character interaction and puzzles. It's also good to hear that there will be more complex puzzles in certain sections of the game. thumbsup

I definitely plan on picking this one up. woot
Posted By: frazap

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/29/17 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: venus
You're right, Mad. It doesn't look like it's a prequel after all, as this game takes place in Scotland. (I'll just imagine the family has more than one castle to make everything fit together in my head. lol)

I seem to remember Samuel Gordon visiting a castle owned by some ancestors in Wales in the first game,so with the one in Scotland there should be at least three castles owned by the Gordons.:)

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 08/30/17 04:21 AM

Good point! smile

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/10/17 06:06 PM

This article provides more details about the game. Apparently it's not a prequel.

I have to say that after reading the article, I am less enthused about the game, although it may still be worthwhile.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/10/17 07:05 PM

From the article:

"There are no point-and-click controls which enable you to play the game just with a mouse, but we have a direct control system that allows you to play by using a combination of the mouse and the WASD keys on the keyboard. We do want players to be able to use a mouse, but of course point-and-click controls are connected to point-and-click gameplay, where you must search the environments to find interactive elements. I think that this kind of gameplay isn’t the most important element for a lot of adventure players anymore. Also, it doesn’t harmonize with a controller. We have decided to put a stronger focus on staging instead."

They don't know us Gameboomers.

Thanks Marian.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/10/17 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Marian
This article provides more details about the game. Apparently it's not a prequel.

Thanks for the link, Marian.
Yes, as stated before, it's not a prequel -- it's a complete reboot.
They got the rights to the name and are making something completely different.

I think people here wanted to believe it was a prequel because they wanted to believe the new game would be like the older ones.

But it's pretty clear now that it has nothing in common with the older games but the name, and perhaps the appearance of the Black Mirror castle.

Originally Posted By: Adventuregamers interview
I think that this kind of gameplay isn’t the most important element for a lot of adventure players anymore.

Because that idea worked so well with Syberia 3...
Oh wait...
It didn't...
...and they got terrible reviews and had to patch it later.

#%*@^! console port.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/10/17 07:19 PM

Quote:
I think that this kind of gameplay isn’t the most important element for a lot of adventure players anymore.

Because that idea worked so well with Syberia 3...
Oh wait...
It didn't...
...and they got terrible reviews and had to patch it later.

#%*@^! console port.

Jenny, you took the words right out of my mouth.
Posted By: TLC

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/10/17 09:38 PM

Will it use Steam to play? Like Syberia 3? think wavegirl

PS, Never mind, I preordered it for $0, with an Amazon balance. joy

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/10/17 10:57 PM

Black Mirror and Syberia 3 are not from the same developer/publisher so don't yet where it will be released.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/10/17 11:02 PM

Thanks Ana. I got a great price on it though. dance

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/10/17 11:27 PM

And just because you got it at Amazon doesn't mean it still won't only be a Steam key. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/10/17 11:48 PM

Using an Amazon "balance" doesn't make it "free".
An Amazon "balance" is essentially money you could use on something else Amazon is selling -- which is almost anything.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/11/17 12:01 AM

Jenny, Yeah I know but I don't need anything else, so I liked spending $0 on the game. wink wavegirl

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/11/17 12:24 AM

Spending $0 on anything is good! Especially a game!

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/11/17 12:33 AM

Yup, I have no idea what I returned to have a balance at Amazon. It was nice to see $0. hamster wavegirl

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/11/17 01:44 AM

Thanks for that link you provided Marian thumbsup

Reading this part of what was said though has now certainly put me off going for the game.
Very disappointed !! rolleyes

"If there is a chase sequence, you don’t want to stand still to combine object A with object B. So in fast-paced situations you’ll rather have something along the lines of Quick Time Events and button-mashing."

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/17/17 03:02 AM

I agree, Mad. I was quite excited about the game, but now...

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/18/17 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Thanks for that link you provided Marian thumbsup

Reading this part of what was said though has now certainly put me off going for the game.
Very disappointed !! rolleyes

"If there is a chase sequence, you don’t want to stand still to combine object A with object B. So in fast-paced situations you’ll rather have something along the lines of Quick Time Events and button-mashing."

If they think that chase sequences with button mashing and QTE's are appropriate for their game, maybe it should go in the DarkSide forum as an action-oriented game.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 09/18/17 02:13 AM

We will wait to see what happens when its released. If it comes across as too much action, we will move it. Broken Sword, Atlantis series and Sherlocks have had various Darkside elements but they were still adventures. Let's see what it ends up being.

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 11/19/17 12:51 AM

New trailer released here.

Ana wave
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 11/20/17 07:24 AM

Am playing now so will give you my thoughts when the embargo lifts prior to release yes

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 11/20/17 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: flotsam
Am playing now so will give you my thoughts when the embargo lifts prior to release yes

I will be very interested to hear what you have to say about it. wave

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 11/20/17 05:13 PM

Me, too, flotasam laugh
Posted By: Iurii

Re: Announcing Black Mirror - A Gothic Horror Adventure - 11/26/17 02:42 AM

I am playing it I too - and I can confess it is not bad smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community