You can find it here.

This is truly a great day for adventure gamers everywhere!! joy
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/21/18 02:30 PM

Great news! Thanks, Marian!

Ana wave
Posted By: Adam Beals

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/21/18 03:31 PM

Oh never played this one. Must have for my Sierra games collection smile Thanks Marian!
Posted By: Marian

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/21/18 03:33 PM

You are in for a treat, Adam! yes wave
Posted By: Susie07

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/21/18 04:26 PM

hi, Marian~

If memory serves me correctly, "Shivers" was released at the same time as "Phantasmagoria" and, unfortunately, got lost in all of the media hype surrounding the latter. I have fond memories of finding those pesky Ixupis (or those pesky Ixupis finding me <G>) and jumping out of my chair on more than one occasion (particularly after my first encounter <G>), and it is still one of my all-time favorite games.

Susan

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/21/18 04:31 PM

I think Shivers was released a month or two before Phantasmagoria, and Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within soon after that. I remember when Shivers was released it was a complete surprise - there had been no fanfare prior to its release and in fact I don't recall having even heard about it beforehand. Shivers remains one of my all-time favorite games, too. I think it's a fantastic game.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/21/18 05:16 PM

Oh, happy, happy day! Downloading now! So excited... I've been waiting for GOG to have this one for a VERY long time.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/21/18 06:20 PM

Thanks Marian. Wonderful news. I do have the original disc version of this and Shivers 2 AND both of them also from All Video. Have I played them? No.

I like seeing GOG putting the old games out there.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/21/18 06:24 PM

I am soooooooo tempted !!!! lol Thanks for the news, Marian thumbsup
Posted By: Susie07

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/21/18 06:54 PM

Hi, Marian!

It was certainly an embarrassment of riches back then, wasn't it happydance ? As much as I enjoyed "Phantasmagoria", "Shivers" was like a diamond in the rough and I enjoyed it so much more. I think Sierra blew its entire advertising budget promoting "Phantasmagoria" and "Shivers" was such a pleasant surprise that sneaked up on us. "Harvest of Souls" was also a great game.

Susan

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/21/18 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Susie07
Hi, Marian!

It was certainly an embarrassment of riches back then, wasn't it happydance ?

Susan

It sure was, and the games were all so different! wave
Posted By: kazzmo

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/21/18 07:30 PM

Thank you for the good news. Off to make my purchase,
Posted By: revco

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/22/18 12:36 PM

Awesome. Love both I & II. TY.
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/22/18 04:00 PM

Thanks Marian and GOG

One of my all time favorites. This game taught me how to run away in adventure games, of course this was learned after getting caught by those pesky Ixupi's dozens of times. This is also where I first came across a ridiculous Chinese Checker puzzle that I spent much time and money on the pay-per-minute Sierra Hot Line trying to write down the 30 moves it took to win any one of which, if missed, prevented you from completing. Of course this game was in a time before there was Internet help and walkthroughs. I would be curious to learn how much money Sierra made from all their games on that Hotline.

I just checked and most of this fantastic Fan made web site created in 1999 dedicated to the Game Shivers and a little of Shivers 2 is still up. Here you can get solutions to the puzzles along with where the Ixupi's are and where the Pots and Lids are usually found and much more. You can also download the fantastic music from the game that was embedded in my mind because of the hours and hours I spent playing this game. Especially the elevator music that you constantly heard every time you used the elevator which was a lot.

http://www.redbeansoup.net/shivers/shiversfan.html#7
http://www.redbeansoup.net/shivers/shiversdwnlds.html

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/22/18 04:16 PM

Thanks for those links, GreyFuss. smile

I have a step-by-step printed out for the Chinese Checkers puzzle!

And I agree, the music was great; I remember it well. This really is one of the most memorable games I've ever played.

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/22/18 04:46 PM

Thank you for those links, GreyFuss! I'm sure I will use them before it's all over.

I am simply reveling in the sounds and the voice in the museum exhibits. I've even let an Ixupi "get" me twice just because I love hearing the rustling or bubbling and then the Ixupi jumping out! What a treat to play this game on my Windows 10 Pro computer!
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/22/18 09:26 PM

You are welcome Tomato Lady

First year for trying Heirloom Brandywines here.

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/23/18 06:02 AM

Let me know what you think of them compared to the Cherokee Purples!
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/24/18 04:43 PM

It's nice that GOG is offering this game for people who don't have it. But don't forget that the bulk of the work of getting it running was done by the people over at ScummVM. The GOG version uses ScummVM.

Balmoral Software had a good list of puzzle solutions.
Even more important, it has lists of possible pot, lid, and Ixupi locations.
http://balmoralsoftware.com/shivers/shivers.htm

I wouldn't recommend using it straight off the bat, but if you're absolutely stuck for where a pot, lid, or Ixupi might be and just can't find it, the Balmoral site is a great resource.
Posted By: revco

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/24/18 06:22 PM

Wow thanks for the link Jenny. Cool site!

Started playing it again...Harvest too. Love these 2 games. Memories for sure.
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Shivers Now Available from GOG! - 06/26/18 03:00 AM

Such a walk down Memory Lane. I loved both the Shivers games, the first one especially.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community