GB HOMEPAGE

The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/07/08 02:49 PM

Todays game for Club members, tomorrows game for everyone else. EDIT: It's Today! lol The Secret of Margrave Manor

Quote:
Dusty drapes and ancient chandeliers dot the spooky Margrave Manor house. As Edwina Margrave, you must find your grandfather who`s been missing for ten years. Your only clue to his whereabouts is a strange door with an odd puzzle to unlock. In each room, collect hidden objects and view your strange medley in the collection room. Can you uncover The Secret of Margrave Manor and discover your family`s forgotten past?

An Eerie Hidden Object game
Spooky searchable rooms
Find the family secret!

Happy Gaming!
Ana wave
Posted By: PATSY

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/07/08 02:57 PM

I downloaded this early this a.m. & am loving it.
Posted By: tascha

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/07/08 03:16 PM

loved it too
Posted By: NYLady

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/07/08 04:08 PM

Its excellent and I bought it but couldn't figure out what a Spanner was. Had to use a clue. Thankfully, they are generous with them. Is this a British term for a
Click to reveal..
wrench
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/07/08 04:23 PM

I think so NYLady. Isn't it funny we both speak English, but oh so many differences lol
Posted By: ozma38

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/08/08 03:43 AM

I just got the game today and was wondering if anyone else was having the screen go black for a few min between scenes.I wrote to BF customer scervice and I also reinstalled the game but it still does it.

My other question was do you have to get a certian grade to pass the freeplay minigames?The others won't unlock even though I've played about 6 levels of the regular game.

Any suggestions?

ozma
Posted By: Flo NS

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/08/08 04:07 AM

Hi ozma,

I think the black screen is part of the game, just like intermission. I had it also.

Flo

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/08/08 04:46 AM

OK Flo Thanks for the info

ozma

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/08/08 06:40 AM

Ok now how do you save? I had to start over from the trial ,then I had to stop for awhile a couple of times and I keep starting at the begining Help!!!!

ozma
Posted By: raylinstephens

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/08/08 11:36 AM

It should have asked you when you quit playing - I am pretty sure I was asked if I wanted to save and quit.

I just started the demo again and when I use "play" it says to continue down by the skull.

The loading time is long, that is the black screens and yes ozma the black screen is a bit long.

NYLady, I thought we only get 2 hints think so I was afraid to use one. Thanks for the spoiler as I would never have known what a spanner was either.

Love,
Linda
Posted By: Cherie

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/08/08 02:40 PM

I also noticed the long black pause. I was concerned that it was my computer, all of you have put me at ease. I will purchase this game since its functioning as it should. Looks like its going to be a fun trip. I got a passing grade and still did not go onto the next view. Guess we will figure that one out.
Posted By: ScarletDragon

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/08/08 02:56 PM

The black screen is annoying. I think maybe it's designed to add to the suspense and spooky aspect of the theme, but it makes me think my computer has crashed every time it happens. That scares me worse than anything else!
Posted By: deb in buffalo

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/08/08 03:13 PM

i tryed to play the demo of the game and it is side ways
Posted By: misa

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/08/08 03:33 PM

deb, the exact same thing happened to me as well. Even doing the orientation trick on my PC didn't make it right side up (the orientation trick is ALT + CTRL and then the arrow keys).

I might contact the developer about this since BFG is really only the distributor.

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/08/08 04:45 PM

You get 2 hints with each room, and every 20 minutes another is added no matter where you are. So, if you don't use any hints for awhile they may add up.

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/08/08 09:44 PM

My screen blacks out too. In the beginning while it's loading it does it for such a long time I think there is a problem and then walla the Big Fish screen pops up and I go "whew!" smile

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/08/08 10:47 PM

You get an extra hint after every 3 minutes of game time. It makes a little chiming sound. I'm still shaking my head over the bollard, bobble hat and space bouncer. This game goes on forever.

I always thought a spanner was an adjustable wrench with teeth, but apparently British spanners are the same as our open end wrenches.
Posted By: MysteryFantic

The Secret of Margrave Manor - 06/09/08 05:53 AM

New game at Big Fish games it really is a good game it has so many neat puzzles and story is pretty good. It reminds me of Ravenhurst in some ways. They change the hidden objects each time to you play and area and sometimes they are so small you have to save some hints to find them. But I like this game so far.
Posted By: joanieS

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - 06/09/08 11:19 AM

played the demo and have a question. Do you have to get 100% plus within a certain time limit to unlock another room? I got kind of tired of the attic after five different rounds and still couldn't get into another room.

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - 06/09/08 10:41 PM

JoanieS,
I wondered that too but the thing is you have to do about 6 of the main puzzles to open a locked room in the Freeplay puzzle room.

My question was do you get something special in the Freeplay room if you get a high score like an A?

ozma

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - 06/10/08 12:54 AM

I love this game and think it is a long one when I see how many things we need.

Posted By: puzzler46

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/10/08 04:28 AM

Has anyone gotten a the "blue screen of death" while playing this game? I have uninstalled it and removed the previous saves and then reinstalled. I thought it was ok and then tonight I got the "blue screen" again. I will contact BFG support tomorrow as it is too late tonight. I hope these is a fix, since I have been enjoying this game a lot.
Kathy

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/10/08 06:20 AM

I'm now having another problem,when I play the main game sometimes an item lights up before I've found the last few items,then the game freezes and I have to shut off the computer an start again.The first time it happened it worked just fine.I hope BF fixes these glitches quickly.Has anyone else had this problem.I've been in the last 2 main games when this happened.

ozma

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/10/08 01:05 PM

thank you i was thinking i was going nuts,i hope they fix the problem

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/10/08 01:14 PM

Just a reminder, If you have issues with games, you have to write the place you downloaded from or they don't know to fix it. The more that write, they will realize it isn't just an isolated case.

Ana thanks

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/10/08 09:06 PM

My Goodness, this game is a marathon. I didn't keep track of my time, but I'm sure it was at least 15-20 hours (and I'm not even sure I'm finished yet.) I found Grandfather Margrave, but my storage room is only 56% full. I'm going through the unlocked rooms now, but I don't seem to be collecting any more objects. I'm confused about the ending. Are they leaving an "excuse" for sequels?

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/11/08 06:20 AM

I did chat with BFG and received some ideas about updating my drivers. I guess no one else has reported any problems yet. I will try their suggestions but since all the other games including the lastest HOG Mystery game worked all the way through on my PC, I still think this one needs a patch.
Kathy

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/11/08 01:51 PM

I agree it sounds like a patch is in order. I also contacted Big Fish and they suggested driver update. Upon checking I have the latest drivers. Since so many of us are finding the same problems I wonder about the driver issue. I mentioned this thread to Big Fish perhaps they will check it out. Great game I am continuing with it and yawning a lot during the black outs. Positive side is I can get coffee, turn the washer on, gather dirty dishes all those good things we do on commercial breaks. Gotta look at the donut and not the hole.

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/13/08 05:04 AM

Thanks for all your help.I really thought when the screen went black for such a long time that it had crashed ,then it would come on again.As for my other problems.I don't know why I wasn't getting the save and quit message but finally after I installed it 3 times then I updated my video drivers,Direct X and Flash then rebooted,btw I'm playing it on my son's laptop.I've only had one glitch in it so far,when I got to the part to pick up the crest(that was my freezing problem)it froze for a min then I got an error message and it crashed,so I went back into the game and it had brought me back to where I left off and I haven't had any trouble so far....yet.

Thanks for the support.

ozma
Posted By: JennyP

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/14/08 11:12 AM

Having real probs with this game, I get what sounds like a ticking bomb where I think I should be hearing music - and the game has now frozen. Redownloaded to find exactly the same stuff, contacted BF, had an automated reply almost immediately but no reply to my problem & I emailed them 3 days ago. Have now re emailed, wailing loudly. Fingers crossed

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/14/08 02:50 PM

JennyP, glad you emailed them again. I hope they come up with a solution to your problem luck

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/14/08 10:54 PM

Can you save your progress at all with this game? I don't seem to be able to, unless I'm missing something.

Flo

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/14/08 10:58 PM

I have not played, but I am sure you can. Some games require you to complete a section or location in order for the save to work. Have you done that?

Ana wave

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/14/08 11:10 PM

Hi Ana,

I was wrong, I just went back and opened the game and I started where I left off.

But I'm thinking, I do have to complete the rooms before I can quit or it won't save, because that already happened, I think.

Thanks,
Flo

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/15/08 12:07 AM

I am glad you figured it out Flo! Btw...don't forget to stop by your birthday thread in Mixed Bags.

Ana wave

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/15/08 12:25 AM

ooohhh, thank you.

While I'm here. Just wondering if the items in this game ever change. It gets pretty boring when you have to find the same things all the time. They have everything to find in each room, you just have to find the selected ones, but am getting tired of looking at the same stuff all the time.

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/15/08 12:39 AM

Flo, I do not know if they change, but hopefully someone who has played will be around soon.

Ana wave

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/15/08 07:03 AM

Just had a very helpful email from Big Fish - they are looking into game probs with the developer so watch this space !
Flo, on the screen that kept crashing at the end I played it 5 times and it was different objects to find each time.

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/15/08 03:41 PM

Hi Jenny,

Yes, it's different objects to find each time, in each room, however, they are all the same objects in all rooms. Usually in a game, different rooms have different things, but this game has all the same things in each room, they are just randomly thrown into different places, and there is just too much of it.

But, that's my opinion, others may enjoy it.

Flo

Posted By: LittleRed

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/15/08 10:58 PM

Hey, has anyone else figured out the problem of not finishing the game with 100% objects? I've been playing through this and it seems like not all of the levels give you objects for completing them, but I have searched all over the internet, asked other people, and I can't seem to figure out what the trick is to getting 100%.

Anyone? frown

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/16/08 02:48 AM

Jenny P,
You seem to have been the only one who's gotten any real answers.I've written them every day since it came out and maybe once they told me to try the Tech section,I hate to say this but I has already that,I'm some of you know I used to be moderator in the Tech Forum so I'm not completely stupid.The las EM I got Dat said use the chat when it's open so I'm going to do that If all else fails I'm going to call them.As for my opinion I'm sure it needs a patch,but that's just me.

I still can't get it to run on my own computer ,so glad I have my sons Laptop,the next thing I'm going to do is try it on my Daughters computer,I've already done all her updates.

Thanks for listening to my ranting,ozma

I like this game it's become a challenge to get it to run properly now.
Another thing is how can they say it was the first time they heard of any problems,it seems like everyone who's had problems has written to them.

OK end of rant
Posted By: bkrytr

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/16/08 03:09 AM

I'd like to try it out. Never can remember, do you save or run/

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/16/08 11:36 AM

I save to desktop and after it installs, you can delete the .exe file.

Ana wave

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/16/08 12:20 PM

They asked me to send them a DX diagnostic file - and gave me step by step easy to follow instructions as to how to do it.
I will wait til the game developers tweak it, then redownload.

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/16/08 03:00 PM

I have noticed that the objects seem to get smaller as the game progresses. I almost have the door crest finished and I have noticed another unusual item. While working in a room, if you pause the screen...wait the hints continue to increase but the time does not decrease. Thus giving more clues in a lesser time, which is helpful when the objects are so small and hard to find. Don't know it this is another glitch or intended...but a nice plus if it is an error.

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/16/08 03:05 PM

Cherie, that is great to know.

luck JennyP

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/16/08 03:26 PM

Hi Cherie,

I noticed that also, I had to pause for a phone call, and as I was talking on phone, the hints kept coming. However, the gathered hints are only for that room. Once you go to the next room, it reverts back to 2 hints.

Flo
Posted By: Bitty Kitty

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/17/08 01:13 AM

I played this game and was very disappointed by the ending when I actually finished looking through the same six rooms over a period of three or four days. of course it could have something to do with getting an error message right at the end of the game and I am not really sure if the way it ended was actually the way it was suppose to end or if they were planning on making another game after this one.

Kem
Posted By: Teddo

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/17/08 02:16 AM

I finished too and got no error message. I guess it was just an abrupt ending. I was disappointed.

Teddo

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/17/08 10:15 AM

Little Red: I had the same question. I finished the crest and found grandfather and I guess the game is over, but I only have 57% of the items in my storage room. I was anticipating a final challenge of finding the stored items, but I guess that's the end of the game. It kind of left me hanging.

Only 6 rooms Bitty Kitty? I counted 16 rooms.

Flo, I was getting tired of looking at the same items also, but then when I got past the halfway point, new items started showing up. That was refreshing except the bad news is that the rooms become even more crowded with stuff.

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/17/08 02:19 PM

I finished the crest and also found the ending lacking. I recall one message that mentioned the secret in and old grandfather clock....never found a follow up on that. I kept looking for a grandfathers clock to open or interact with. Surely this isn't all of the game. Such a long trip to be left hanging in the air.

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/18/08 04:12 AM

Where's Margie, our intrepid resident expert in all HOG games? Hey Margie! Is that all there is to this game or are we missing something?

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/19/08 02:59 AM

I got a letter from BF Support today,I had sent them my DX Diagnose and they foud that everything is as it sould be .They are going to give me a free game for all my trouble.TY BF.

ozma

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/19/08 03:45 AM

I'm sorry they couldn't fix it for you Ozma, but I am glad you at least got your credit back.

Ana wave

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/19/08 06:18 AM

I also sent my DX Diagnose and was given a free game. I really like and respect the support BFG gives to it's customers. I recommend them to anyone I know who plays games. I do hope a patch is found because I would like to finish the game (even if the end is disappointing).
Kathy

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/20/08 03:41 AM

Hey puzzler46: I hope I didn't mislead you. The ending is not exactly disappointing. In fact, I really liked it. It was just confusing because you gather all these items in your storeroom for no apparent reason. I hope you get to finish the game.
Posted By: raylinstephens

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/22/08 08:35 PM

I just bought this today and had to re-download the demo but I was called away and quit through the menu and the game definitely did not save. Aargh! cry

Is there something special I am supposed to be doing?

thanks Linda

**edit: never mind, it is the Intro that has to be played every time I guess - after the Intro repeated I was back in the game and allowed to continue on.

***edited again: I have done the same puzzles so many times it gets boring. I don't know if it is a glitch or what - sometimes it offers to save but most of the time it doesn't. Pity. Should have been a great game.
Posted By: butterflybabe

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/25/08 06:09 PM

Even though I've enjoyed it, I've also dealt with a lot of computer glitches with this game. I'll be playing just fine, then the time counter freezes. I know when the 'end' is coming because the fireworks that go off each time a piece is found slows down dramatically and the piece goes off the screen almost in slow motion.

When this got worsr, I was too far into the game to reload and start over, so I started saving after every puzzle. When the 'menu' button comes up on the puzzle screen, I clicked to 'save and quit', then clicked to return to 'play' at the final menu screen. This has at least helped me to not have to keep repeating scenes. I'm almost done so I'm hanging in there!

lol

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/25/08 08:13 PM

Sorry to hear about all the problems. It's so frustrating to be enjoying a game and then have it freeze.

Have you all tried shutting down your virus software and firewalls etc?
Posted By: butterflybabe

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 06/26/08 02:31 PM

Looney, I'm pretty sure I've tried that, but it can't hurt to try again. Thanks for the reminder! puppy

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 07/26/08 03:19 AM

i thought that it was the demo so i bought the full game and the same thing happens it is sideways bfg said that it was my pc so proved them wrong i got a game with the same spec as margrave manor and it works great so i think they have the problem and do not want to fix it and i like the hide and seek games i have a lot of them

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 07/26/08 03:25 AM

deb, buying the game will NEVER change the way the game plays. When you download the demo, you are downloading the full game. The only thing that buying it does is take away the one hour demo timer.

It is not possible to compare one games spec with another. Each game has it's unique programming.

I am sorry you are having issues with the game.

Ana wave
Posted By: Mome

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 08/06/08 03:11 PM

I am having trouble with putting together the newspaper article. I can get all the words in there but I have little pieces that go only 1 way & won't R click to turn. will it really all fit in there.

Thanks

Mome

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 08/06/08 03:34 PM

Mome, I can't find a WT for this, so will have to wait for a vet wave

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 08/06/08 05:23 PM

The newspaper puzzle goes only one way there are small edges that have to meet before it is completed. Also there was another question about filling the basement more than 50% with items collected I found you have to find all objects in each room is important even if the crest piece flashes not to click on it yet. You can't come back to collect the objects you should have collected. Hope this helps someone.

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 08/06/08 05:23 PM

Thanks Mystery!

Ana wave
Posted By: Mome

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 08/06/08 09:59 PM

Thanks Mystery.

Mome
Posted By: dorish

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 08/07/08 05:01 PM

I wondered why I only ended up withh 55% of the objects found. I was doing what you just said not to -- clicking on the crest pieces when they were flashing. Well I am not going to play the game over for QUITE some time. I had to take a couple of weeks away from it as I was beginning to find it rather tedious.

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 08/07/08 05:12 PM

I found it tedious too, but now I am trying to see if I can fill the basemnet it is a challenge for me.
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 08/26/08 05:24 AM

I played the demo for an hour before I bought the game. I did not appreciate having to play that hour over because the game restarted from the beginning after I bought it.

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 08/26/08 01:11 PM

The game kept freezing on me - Big Fish very kindly gave me a credit for another game. Have the software bods sorted out the technical problems with it yet ?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The Secret of Margrave Manor - New HOG on BigFish - 09/17/08 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: butterflybabe
Even though I've enjoyed it, I've also dealt with a lot of computer glitches with this game. I'll be playing just fine, then the time counter freezes. I know when the 'end' is coming because the fireworks that go off each time a piece is found slows down dramatically and the piece goes off the screen almost in slow motion.

Sounds like it may have a memory leak.
Anyone bought it recently and not had problems?
© 2024 GameBoomers Community