GB HOMEPAGE

The Witcher thread four

Posted By: Draclvr

The Witcher thread four - 01/13/08 03:49 AM

HA! I get to start the new thread! Just finished watching a movie with hubby, made the bed so he could head on upstairs and I now have Geralt all to myself.

Bliss...
Posted By: nickie

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/13/08 08:19 AM

You must have quit playing for the night, cause now I have him all to myself. Bwahaha laugh
Posted By: Mad

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/13/08 12:10 PM

Hi smile

What ??

I'm thinking maybe this thread might need a censorship rating if this trend escalates !!!!

rotfl rotfl

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/13/08 05:43 PM

After his episode with the nurses the first time I played, I doubt Geralt minds being shared! whistle

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/13/08 06:44 PM

rotfl
I'm not there yet this time round, but which makes for the better game - choosing Shani or Triss?
Posted By: Milee10

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/13/08 08:19 PM

I chose Triss (in Chapter 3) because Shani seems to be to much of a wimp....and I'm partial to magic users grin.
Posted By: oldman

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/13/08 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: nickie
rotfl
I'm not there yet this time round, but which makes for the better game - choosing Shani or Triss?

Nickie it doesn't effect the game either way so it's just a matter of personal preference except that Triss is the better fighter at the end which is a minimal advantage.

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong in upgrading weapons. I thought that you could use just one rune on silver swords. When you have 3 or more runes and click on the hammer icon at the Blacksmith you are offered the choices that are available to upgrade. I finally upgraded my silver sword. Unfortunately it was just before I got the new silver sword from the lady of the lake so I feel rather dumb.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/14/08 12:19 AM

oh, ok , thanks. Thought it might have a bigger impact than that.

Guess I didn't understand what you were asking before John, but glad you got it figured out. What is confusing me about the blacksmith - I thought he would put the meteorites on my witcher sword, but now I have a third sword I'm lugging around.
Posted By: texaslady

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/14/08 01:22 AM

Okay Nickie, have been following this thread just to "see" you play the game.
You and the rest of the members are having way way too much fun with this one!

Sue

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/14/08 04:08 AM

You are so right, Sue! Waaay too much fun... grin
Posted By: looney

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/14/08 05:16 AM

Hey, there's a reason why the villagers see Geralt coming and start yelling "A Witcher! Hide your women!" rotfl

My 2nd round is at end... cry I hope to play again soon...I loved seeing the differences in the story caused by my decisions!

I have to ask, how many of the signs did you play with? This time I played a bit with the other signs, and I have to say, they are really neat! I love the sign that makes your opponents fight for you! I cast it on a group of Devourers, and one of them turned and started beating another one. She did this until all were dead except her and then she turned back. Guess Geralts charm isn't everlasting! laugh

This is one game that I will replay again and again!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/14/08 07:50 AM

Sue, come on in, the water's fine! laugh Seriously, this is a great game --and most unusual! And it's really fun to play with this great group of folks. praise

What sign is that Looney? I don't think I have that one yet, but then again I really haven't looked at two that I have besides igni and aard.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/14/08 12:16 PM

Nickie, I had to go look, it's the Axii sign. I didn't play with until late in the game so it was pretty developed. It says it charms your opponents. And it sure did! laugh

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/14/08 12:28 PM

I've been wanting to try that one, looney. Maybe I'll give it a try the next time I'm surrounded by Drowners.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/14/08 04:53 PM

Oooh, I think maybe I have that, have to go look. Thanks for looking Looney!

Edit: No, I guess you come across that later in the game. It'll be fun!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/14/08 11:29 PM

Sue - Just now saw your post. Hurry up with the 'couple' of Adventure games you said needed to be played first and take the 'Witcher' plunge over here (you know you want to) evil.

Marilyn lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/15/08 12:38 AM

Rofl, ya'll are such goofballs. I'll get around to this when I can and you can have many laughs at my expense.

Sue

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/15/08 12:45 AM

Nope, we'll never laugh at you, but we'll be glad to share a laugh with you! Be sure and get the uncensored version if you want to laugh at the comments of the townsfolk.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/15/08 01:22 AM

Okay, uncensored version it will be! Lord knows I can always use a good laugh

Sue razz

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/15/08 04:18 AM

I have laughed so hard at all the comments in the uncensored version! None of which can be repeated here, of course!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/15/08 06:57 AM

sick You're so right! grin I guess I should add the disclaimer at this point: if anyone is offended by spicy language or nudity in games, don't buy the uncensored version. Censored it is a good game as well!
Posted By: threads

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/15/08 12:12 PM

Hi - can anyone tell me the way to reach the Swamp, please? It is always raining hard when I reach the boat and even the ferryman is sheltering amongst about a dozen others under the sheltered part of the walkways.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/15/08 01:30 PM

Just talk to the ferryman. He will have a green circle under him. You may just have to wait until it stops raining! You will have to give him 5 orens to cross to the swamps. Get ready for a very dangerous place and stock up on Necrophage Oil for your silver sword.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/15/08 04:13 PM

I've had to search for him too Threads! Everone and the dog is all huddled there. You can also press your "Alt" key, and you'll be able to see him listed in the group or past them.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/15/08 05:37 PM

lol One learns somethng new every day. Was wondering what necrophage oil was used for idea

Seriously I didn't know that. Have spent most of the afternoon in the swamps. (am still there - wanted some info before I leave) Firstly, can I leave things in the Voldyanol Altar as I would put them in store at an Inn - then nip back for them another day?

The standing stones (small ones) with holes in their sides are named after 'signs' I have not got to date. When I click on them they open and I'm invited to offer a donation. Everything in my inventory is grsyed out and I can't find a way to donate money - please tell me how to use the wretched things while I am still in the area.

Gramps is looking a little weary at the moment. I've been enjoying myself. Am certainly not finding the things which The Witcher game guide is saying I should.

Am looking forward to doing more quests in the Swamps.

It is the end of my day but I'll be back - but not tomorrow.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/15/08 07:27 PM

No, you can't leave stuff in those Volyanol alters and have it there in storage - there's a quest later where you can make use of it though.
You will also have a main quest where you leave a special item in those other standing stones - you'll find out about it as you play. They're different from the stones that give you a sign.
Glad you're enjoying it!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/15/08 07:41 PM

Alice,

The small standing stones are part of the
Quote:
Monoliths
quest and is started by first talking to Kalkstein to get
Quote:
A Mysterious Tower
quest started.

Kalkstein will tell you to find 10
Quote:
sephirot
and when you have them all the
Quote:
Monoliths
quest starts. It's these 10 sephirot that you are to place in each of the 10 monolith's (the name of a sephirah is the same as the monolith's).

This is part of the main quest line and is weaved into the
Quote:
Vizima Confidential
investigation quest. It's very long and much has to happen before you can start with the monoliths, so I wouldn't worry about them for the time being. All in good time thumbsup.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/15/08 10:32 PM

I believe this is the longest Chapter in the game, so don't get in a hurry for anything, Alice!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/16/08 08:27 AM

Hi Alice smile

I found donating "food" items was successsful at some shrines/altars.

Might be worth you giving that a go grin

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/16/08 08:46 AM

Sure, at the melitele shrines. And I suppose you could try at the voldyanol shrines - no telling what you might get in return.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/16/08 01:50 PM

I tried "donating" at the voidyanoi shrine and didn't get much of anything back.

Speaking of the great Melitele. There has simply GOT to me some hidden reference to something or someone in that name! Come on, looney, you're good at this. You found the detective reference!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/16/08 07:03 PM

Hi smile

A bonus ....

The Witcher was the first game in all my game playing history where I had to turn off anti-virus type stuff whilst playing.

But since applying the patch, I don't have to.
I can have full internet security running and it doesn't affect the game at all bravo

[And this is the badly disparaged (by some people) Norton I am talking about lol]

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/16/08 10:32 PM

Really? I've played several where the anti-virus interrupted the game. I just shut it off automatically when I start playing, but I'm not on-line of course. And about Norton - but I don't wish to be quarrelsome...glad it works for you. grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/17/08 01:34 AM

Hi nickie smile

Yes. That's the honest truth. I have always used Norton and have never had to turn it off to play a game .... until The Witcher.

So I'm really happy that since the patch I can just leave it on for The Witcher too bravo

"And about Norton - but I don't wish to be quarrelsome...glad it works for you grin"

Hehehe !! I can take it. Been takin' it for years rotfl

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/17/08 04:15 AM

Hey, I'm with you, Mad! I'm not a huge fan of Norton, but I have to admit it's never once given me a problem. And it doesn't matter if I have it on or off when I'm playing The Witcher. That being said, I won't be renewing it this year. However, my co-worker who is utterly clueless about his computer NEEDS it! I don't feel safe unless he has something quite robust on his machine.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/17/08 04:28 AM

Back to the subject at hand grin are you finished with the game Mad? How are you doing Threads? TLC? Anyone else still playing?
I'm in chapter four and loving the new scenery.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/17/08 04:40 AM

I'm in chapter 4 too...I turned the "grass" back on (options) and whoooweee, what a difference! The remains just fade into the weeds! laugh

Nickie, did you go to the healers hut yet??? I was surprised this time around...

Hey, Threads went to the swamp didn't she? And we all know how that swamp is... shocked

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/17/08 04:55 AM

Hi smile

I'm still in chapter Five as I didn't get to play for a few days day - and wishing I could find Dandelion !!

Is he available in this chapter .... apart from right at the start of it ??
As he is my "storer" I could do with getting hold of him. I have lots of good stuff in store lol

Click to reveal..
Did just acquire my Raven's Armour though devilchili

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/17/08 04:59 AM

Oh Mad, I'm jealous! What you now have, is my major quest focus...I didn't get it my lst time thru!

Dandelion is there, he's just kinda hard to pin down, I think I found him mostly near the same place as in the beginning of the chapter. Of course, you know Dandelion, he may be near the bar area! lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/17/08 08:20 AM

I was surprised too Looney! Amazing how well so many things tie in.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/17/08 01:34 PM

I just did the werewolf part in Chapter 3. I just can't stop myself from picking the same options with him I did in Chapter 1. One thing I haven't gotten yet is the really big Gravier in the cemetary. I wonder if I've made a choice that makes him not appear.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/17/08 04:55 PM

Me too Drac, I really want to make different decisions, but I just keep doing mostly the same things! Good thing this is a great game no matter what, huh? laugh

I tried, but I didn't come up with anything for Melitele. But I am still giggling over the dentist...Zahin Schmartz. If you say it quick, it's like "that smarts!" Okay, maybe I'm stretching it? whistle

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/17/08 05:03 PM

Nickie - just popped in to say goodnight. Have been playing in chapter two all the afternn and getting nowhere fast lol How on earth have you managed to get to chapter four? Do you play all night?

There is no way I can do that. Having so many real life challenges at the moment there just isn't time to fit everything into my 'activity' hours.

I thought I'd cleared the swamp area of Drowned men - well my game told me I had - but when I reached the merchant the dialogue would not allow me to say so.

Oh well, I'd better clean up the computer again and shut down.

Sigh - I need an Angel sitting on my shoulder.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/17/08 05:04 PM

I thought it was funny when the Hermit in chapter 4 gave one of the explanations about the Grail, and talked about "Bronze Dan". Wonder how many of those little jokes I've missed.

Edit: Just saw your message Alice - hope you sleep well! Yes, I'm playing rather obsessed. grin And I never sleep much - at least not in one stretch. The chapter you're in is a very long one though. When I did that quest, I had to kill the drowners that appeared around the area of the campfire before the docks. You have to do it at night, and you may have to wait a few seconds for the last one to appear, but when you've killed the ones that are specific for that quest, the game will acknowledge it, telling you to return to the merchant for your reward. Are you saying your game said you did this, or did you clear a different area for a different quest? There's another quest to kill the drowners at the clay pits.
And I think that angel is just off dancing for a bit, but never far. yes

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/17/08 10:27 PM

Nickie beat me to it, Alice. You have to get the ones around the docks to complete the Drowner quest for Declan Leuvaardan.

And believe me, the Swamps NEVER run out of Drowners. However, I make a lot of money selling Drowner brains to the alchemists. Keep stocked up on Necrophage Oil and they are pretty easy to kill.
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/18/08 04:02 AM

This may be old news I haven't been following the thread as much, but someone has Witcher Wiki! It covers the books and the game. Here is the link:

Witcher Wiki

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/18/08 06:57 AM

That's pretty cool, thanks! I saw a couple of inaccuracies though - or at least my game was different.
I'm in chapter five - really enjoyed chapter four. I'm already pining for a sequel.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/19/08 06:41 PM

Hi smile

Finished The Witcher today !! grin

A fantastic game and I will no doubt play it again sometime - but I must make some headway with my nearly toppling over "to play" game stack first lol

Cheers.

Mad happydance

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/19/08 08:36 PM

Way to go Mad! bravo So glad you had fun with it!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/19/08 08:41 PM

Wonderful, Mad! Isn't it nice to play a great game and not have a disappointing ending? I loved the ending and I see room for a sequel...

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/20/08 12:40 AM

Well sadly, I finished too. Had a couple of questions though - I picked up all the parts for the armor quest, but never had a chance to get it assembled. Did I have to do that before fighting the striga - leave the swamp and come back, I mean?

And -ending spoiler-
Click to reveal..
who was that supposed to be at the end in the cloak? I know it's been discussed before, but thought maybe now people had a chace to think about it, and might have drawn a different conclusion.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/20/08 03:56 AM

Wow Nickie, that was fast! Don't you just miss Geralt already?

I didn't get the armor done the first time either, so that's a priority this time around! So I can't answer that for you!

The ending, I think...
Click to reveal..
the guy at the end was Alvin. He could time travel, and he was always a bit on the edge with the good or evil side...and that medallion he had on was the same as the assassin's - at least I think it was!?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/20/08 06:18 AM

I got the armor last time. You had to gather all the stuff and take it to Kalkstein if I remember correctly. I don't remember for sure just when I took the stuff to him though.

I'm thinking nickie meant the guy at the VERY end. And although I've thought about it long and hard, I just can't come up with anyone. I think I agree with Looney's theory about who the final battle was with though. I wish the sequel would come out and end my wondering!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/20/08 08:19 AM

I sure do miss him Looney! I can't see playing it again right away because I don't think I would differ in my choices, so I need to let some time go by - I'm sure I'll play it again though, probably a bunch of times! I especially enjoyed chapter four with the lady of the lake - what part did you gals like the best?
Oh, one thing about that chapter, and I hope no one thinks it's a spoiler - I got the cow to follow me, and couldn't kill that pretty thing, but was there a way to get it to quit following you? I had that thing and Alvin following me everywhere, and it cracked me up! I kept trying to leave it, but nooo. Mooooo!

And yes, you're right Drac, that's who I meant. Geralt looked like he recognized him, but I sure didn't. I'm with you - please let there be a sequel.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/20/08 08:53 AM

Hi smile

Armour ....

Click to reveal..
I "gradually" gathered the stuff needed for the making of the armour over more than one chapter but I took mine to the Blacksmith in the makeshift forge in Old Vizima (Chapter V).
[I definitely didn't feel brave enough to face The Catacombs and all that lay therein without it rotfl]

As for the cow (and Alvin) ....
I could never shake them off either - until the end of the quest where the cow might have been needed - and it was really strange having a cow alongside during pitched battles .... especially considering it never suffered the slightest injury lol

Cheers.

Mad devilchili

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/20/08 10:51 AM

Hi - hard to believe but thik I'm actually moving in Chapter Two.

Am I the only one who found the Hairy Bear closed until I'd despatched the Felder in a fight going on - only had room in my inventory for one thing so I got his fang. only then was the door to the Inn accessable.

Discovered how to make The Messenger spill the beans by getting him drunk - more by chance than knowledge.

Got myself a good weapon with meteorites only minutes before.

Do wish the inventories stored weapons to sell.

Oh yes, found the Quen Sign.

Didn't I do well?

Also climbed two levels in a huge fight with salamandas outside the Dwarf Blacksmith house.
Posted By: syd

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/20/08 01:57 PM

Threads you're not the only one still playing - I'm just in chapter 3. Haven't played since right after Christmas (went on vacation for two weeks then had to do the "catch up at work and home because you went on vacation" stint.

You did a lot more in Chapter 2 than I did - Where did you find the weapon with metorites? I spent countless hours wandering the sewers trying to find the Salamandras base (could see where I needed to go on the map but could not ger there from where I was) - then by dumb luck yesterday I discovered that there is another entrance to the sewers in the Trade Center and viola - there I am - battling Salamandras left and right.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/20/08 02:50 PM

Syd if you have collected three meteorite stones you can go to a blacksmith and he will make you a sword. I finally figured it out and got myself one but it really doesn't seem to do any better than the original witcher steel sword and there are no statistics listed for the witcher sword to compare with.

However, when using them both, the original Witcher Steel sword seems to do more damage.

I'm in Act III and just got drunk with Daffodil Zoltan and have both Shani and Triss mad at me. Will have to find a gift for Triss to get back in her good graces.

I'm playing again this time in medium mode and going through and trying to do everything possible in every act, including the women. I'll admit it the game has me hooked. devil

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/20/08 03:51 PM

Ah that's what I'm carrying around those metorite stones for lol Okay I'll hit the blacksmith if only to make more room in my inventory. Thanks oldman. I just cleaned out the Salamandra den and decided to do the granny quest - that is as soon as I find her. I managed to get Shani mad at me - Triss seems to be okay for now.

Tried to kill one of those Fletcher critters in the sewers - not a pretty sight scared it kept biting me - decided to come back to it after I'm a bit stronger.

Well, back to the granny hunt.
Posted By: Rowan

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/20/08 04:43 PM

In case anyone is looking for another walkthrough Gamebanshee has the first couple of chapters complete but are still working on the others.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/20/08 05:28 PM

Alice, I don't think you can use any door while a battle is going on - the game won't let you get away that way.

As far as the salamandra - there's a key on a corpse in the sewers that will allow you to open a gate to get to the den from the first sewer location.

For me, I thought the meteorite sword a little better - but you're right Oldman, it doesn't seem to make much difference, especially with all the oils you can put on them. I did notice it was much easier for me to dispatch baddies when I used the hangman's oil.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/22/08 02:14 AM

Nickie, I am sooooo intrigued!
you said in chapter 5 you were surprised:
Click to reveal..

to get points from not killing some of the monsters, but letting them flee. I understood why once I saw the epilogue.

Please tell! yes

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/22/08 03:56 AM

Fore me it was
Click to reveal..
because some of the monsters I spared came back to help he at the end!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/22/08 04:17 AM

Ah yes...but...

Click to reveal..
when did you spare these monsters? I liked sparing the werewolf, and the striga, but that can't be it?? If it is, hmmm, what will it be like if I don't? This may be an interesting change huh?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/22/08 04:34 AM

I didn't spare
Click to reveal..
the striga, but did spare the werewolf. I will spare both this play. I wonder if the striga will show up at the end this time!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/22/08 07:21 AM

No, I did that too but
Click to reveal..
when I was in the swamp cemetary, I would often hit the baddies once and they were injured, but then they wouldn't come back at me. When I didn't chase and kill them, I got points, and they just wandered off and left me alone. I was really puzzled about it, but then when you get that speech in the last part about morality etc. I thought maybe that was why. Now I did have the two talismans - the salt from the hermit, and the drowner ribbon, so that could explain their not being that interested in killing Geralt, but it wouldn't explain the points, I don't think. In the epilogue though, had to kill everything, no choice, except the flaming thingies

It'll be interesting to see how different the game is for you both when you make those changes you were talking about. When I play again, I know I'll pay more attention to potions. It seems like I would have a full inventory, and yet be missing something I needed quite often. I would distribute the skills a little differently too, I think. But I ended up not even using several of the bronze things. As usual for me with RPGs, my character ended up a powerhouse of a fire mage.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/23/08 10:53 PM

Well, I finally finished it and it was quite a ride. I also enjoyed the little retrospectives that come up when you reach a pivotal portion in the game. Although there is room for improvement, the translations were done quite well considering the size of the game. I'd like to see the dev company do something along the lines of a Forgotten Realms RPG with D&D style rules, combat and characters using this engine thumbsup.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/23/08 11:26 PM

Congrats TM! I would rather the company didn't go with D&D rules, but I'm looking forward to anything they make. Quite amazing for a first effort, don't you think?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/24/08 12:51 AM

I just want more Geralt! I wish they would make a pre-quel so we can find out what happened to him. And then a sequel to explain the meanings of the end of the game and who tried to assassinate King Foltest.
Posted By: Barb

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/24/08 03:59 AM

You guys are having WAY too much fun with this game! lol

I bought it a couple of months ago thinking it was an RPG like Gothic or Oblivion. I have never had much luck with 3rd-person RPGs. I'm totally lost at the first part of the game. I can get it to where all the bad guys are dead, but then I have no idea what to do. Is there a walkthrough for it? Maybe if I tried harder (or read the manual!), I could get into it. Any ideas?

Barb

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/24/08 04:05 AM

Welcome, Barb! It's so great to see you here. There is a bit of a learning curve the first time. When you say you can get to where the bad guys are dead, I still have no idea where you are. Are you still in the tutorial in Kaer Mohren? Which bad guys? Bandits? The Frightener? More details, dear!

Since so much of this game depends on what kind of decisions you make, it's hard to do a walkthrough in the strict sense. But this game guide has helped me in a couple of tough spots.

GamePressure Witcher Guide

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/24/08 06:00 AM

Hey Barb, glad to see you! The game should actually be showing you where to go next on the mini-map. As Drac says, we'll all be glad to chime in when we know where you are - just try keeping us from talking about Geralt! grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/24/08 01:33 PM

I just got into Chapter 4 last night. The one thing I wish was different in this game is having more cool stuff to buy. I have over 6,000 orens and essentially nothing to spend it on. My weapons are ramped up and runed and I have the 5,000 oren armor. So NOW what do I spend it on? I ended up my first game with 14,000 orens!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/24/08 05:08 PM

You're so right Drac. I would also have liked to see rings with special properties, and room in the inventory to pick up all the weapons.
I spent a lot of orens on books, but still had a bunch of orens left. I don't know what it cost to get the Raven armor though, since I got the pieces but didn't get to the blacksmith.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/24/08 05:55 PM

Hi - can anyone remember where they found Zoltan when Shani says ask Zoltan at the Hairy Bear. I can't find him there at any time. This is in the "Memory of a Blade" quest.

Out of interest - where are you keeping the parts of armour to make the Raven Armmour?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/24/08 07:00 PM

The armor goes into the quest boxes, thank goodness. grin
Zoltan - I found him at the inn on occasion, but he also can be found at Vivaldi's house or on the street not far from the house or market.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/24/08 07:00 PM

Alice - If Zoltan isn't in the Hairy Bear you can usually find him in Vivaldi's house (the dwarf that lost control of his bank). I think they live together. His house is at #8...very top of the Temple Quarter map.

I only have one piece of the Raven Armor and 'think' (haven't played for awhile) it's carried in my Quest Item section.

Nickie - We posted at the same time...I'm just to slow lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/24/08 07:34 PM

Maybe I had too much caffeine and I was a twitch faster! grin Never a problem though - it's great that we can all add on to each other's answers.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/25/08 12:02 AM

You don't get any pieces of the Raven Armour until you get to Chapter 4 and they go into the fixed inventory of required stuff for the game and not the general inventory.

I did find Zoltan Chevey at the Hairy Bear during the day once and after that I found him either at the place where the city guards are training near the Trade Quarter gate or at Vivaldi's House.
Posted By: PeggyG

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/26/08 02:10 AM

I just started this game yesterday myself. Can I ask you experienced folk whether it's best to leave the difficulty set on medium or switch it down to easy mode? I've barely started, just after the prologue and into the first town in Act 1. It's easy so far but I was worried about difficulty level down the road. I don't mind restarting now but I will mind when I'm in chapter 4 and cursing myself!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/26/08 04:36 AM

Ooooooooh Peggy! What a great adventure you have in front of you!
My first time thru, I did play on easy, just to be sure I could enjoy all it has to offer. And even on easy, it was challenging! Well, it was for me anyway! crazy

I'm on my second time thru, and I upped it to medium...and there is a difference! I bet I can guess who has played on hard, and I can't wait to hear how that was! eek

I would say, in my opinion, if you like to fight, go for medium or hard. If you would like getting to know Geralt, and the history, and the countryside - better than a fight, go with easy!

Boy I'm so good with explainations, I bet you know just what to do huh? slapforehead

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/26/08 08:26 AM

Hi Peggy, glad to see you playing!
Posted By: PeggyG

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/26/08 01:04 PM

Looney, clear as mud!

But you do have a point. While I like combat normally, this flaming sword combat and the different moves (I'll grow to love it, right?) make me thing easy would be less frustrating down the road. When you say you're playing on medium now and there is a difference, you're talking strictly about combat difficulty...nothing to do with the game proper, right?

And while I know it's a personal preference, are most of you playing with the over-the-shoulder view?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/26/08 03:49 PM

I couldn't have said it better than Looney! I played on easy the first time and I'm playing on medium the second time. The combat is the same, but there are lots more enemies and the bosses are tougher to kill. The one thing about playing on easy the first time through was that I thoroughly got the hang of the combat styles. The only thing that changes with the game are the consequences of the decisions you make. This time through, for the most part I'm making different choices and it's making it quite interesting to say the least!

I'm playing over-the-shoulder because I like to be up close to the action and the other characters. I tried the other two options and went back to OTS. Your Witcher medallion alerts you to enemies anyway.

Hope you have as much fun with it as we are!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/26/08 05:15 PM

Yeah, what Drac says! yes On medium, I can't kill the monsters as quick, and there are more of them. On easy, I could kill them off pretty quick!

After I got the hang of the combat system, I really liked it! I'm playing on the F1 view, I don't get as dizzy with that one.

I'm trying all different decisions too Drac, it's fun to see the differences isn't it? I just wonder how this will all play out in the ending! eek lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/26/08 06:04 PM

Although usually I prefer the over the shoulder view, I opted to go with the default topdown view - I liked to see what was coming, and it helped me better orient myself to the area.
The combat does take some finesse, but I thought it quite enjoyable with the athletic moves he is capable of. I think the game is much easier than some you have played, if that is any help. And come in and correct me if I am wrong here - I think you can change the difficulty level during the game, if you change your mind. (edit: no, you can't change it, just checked, sorry).
Posted By: Drizzt

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/27/08 01:02 PM

Meh, I really need to pick this up again. So much to do, so little time. frown

Any special tips for getting past those creatures in the Swamp? Geralt just refuses to attack them...

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/27/08 02:20 PM

Hi Drizzt, I was wondering where you were! You're using the silver sword, fast style and he won't fight? Unless you're clicking him too fast, maybe you're having technical problems. Some of the folks have had to use different patches to optimize their playing time - I and several others couldn't use the latest patch, for instance. That said, the fighting style is different from the usual RPGs - you click to engage, but then you have to have different timing with other clicks. If you click away, Geralt will quit fighting (out of balance). You could test this by putting the game on easy. Click to engage, then wait to click again until you see a flaming sword icon. Not sure if the flaming icon occurs in the medium and hard options.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/27/08 03:13 PM

Yeah, I click the "attack" button, but he just stands there like a retard. Very annoying. It wasn't like this before the patch either.

Can the difficulty be changed while in the game? I thought you had to start a new game for that. I am playing on Medium right now.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/27/08 03:58 PM

No, you're right - had to go check just now. You can change a lot of things, but not the difficulty.
Sounds like the patch might be your problem then, if the game wasn't doing that beforehand. I had a similar problem with the 2.0 patch, and had to take it off (plus annoying crashes too).

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/27/08 04:55 PM

Now, are you trying to fight the echinops? Geralt won't do anything until you run right up to it and click on the part down toward the bottom of the plant-monster. If it's waving around it may be hard to click on just the right place. If you have Igni, try hitting it a couple of times with fire, then running up and whacking at it.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/27/08 04:57 PM

That's sure true too! If I hadn't had igni, those and the harder plant - forgotten the name, begins with an a - would have just been terrible.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/27/08 05:00 PM

Archeospores! They were the WORST!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/27/08 05:16 PM

That's the one! scared Those things spit forever! grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/27/08 05:42 PM

They also spit poison so you need all the poison resistance you can get. Golden Oriole helps a lot when fighting the spitting trees.
Posted By: lindy236

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/27/08 06:09 PM

One thing I did to get close to those things was to hold down the left mouse button and rush up close to the bottom part of the plant. If you stand back at a distance and click on the ground he doesn't move. You have to get up close and personal with them.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/27/08 06:22 PM

That's good advice lindy! I'll try that next time I play. I just threw igni at them, and then rushed in and whacked them when they were ignited.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/27/08 09:55 PM

That's exactly what I have tried. And he still just stands there, in "battle" mode, but without attacking. frown

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/27/08 10:10 PM

Does he have the sword out at all? You know, those circles on the left side of the screen - is it colored on the top one, the non-fighting one? Or is the proper sword one lit up? You said battle mode, so you must mean he has sword in hand... If it is, don't have any other ideas except take off the patch and go with a lesser one. And from past experience I can warn you not to use the icon in your game directory that tells you "unpatch" or something like that - instead use the tool that is linked to on the game website.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/28/08 03:49 AM

Hey, I just thought of something, Drizzt, are you getting hit by the poison darts that those echinops (the archespores do too) spit? They will stun Geralt, and he'll just stand there swaying...usually I would end up hit again before I could recover...
The only way I found to get away and recharge was to hold the cursor a bit away from the action and wait for it to turn from the sword to a fat arrow and just start running away. When you run back, you do have to run right at the echinops, to hit it you have to be really close up! You know - charge in like you mean it! lol
Igni is a great help, if you can, run away and go get Igni leveled up.

I wonder if looking at a saved game would help to figure out what the problem is? think

Add me to that list of didn't like the newest patch! I went back to the 1.1a patch and I'm doing good!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/28/08 04:09 AM

And the 1.2 patch was a miracle for me!

Drizz, can you get a screen shot of when you click on the echinops and Geralt doesn't do anything? That might help us.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/28/08 07:20 AM

That's going to be too much bandwidth to post here I think, but if you all want to do this by email that's great.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/28/08 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Drizzt
That's exactly what I have tried. And he still just stands there, in "battle" mode, but without attacking. frown

Your guy is being stunned by the poison. How many times have you leveled up? You may have to go do more quests until you get stronger. Also you need to find and use Golden Oriole. It protects Geralt a lot. In Act 2, I waited until the last to do those quests and I used Swallow, Tawny Owl, and Golden Oriole to fight these guys. The Golden Oriole scroll can be bought from Thaler.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/28/08 12:50 PM

Nickie, I should have clarified! I meant by e-mail and forgot to say so. I too think Drizz might not be running in quickly enough to whack at them and is getting stunned first.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/28/08 02:56 PM

Popped in for a moment and saw this. I used a blast of Igni on them before they looked in my direction. They didn't get up again.
lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/28/08 10:45 PM

Nope, he's not stunned. He can still move, it's just that he stands in that ridicolous pose, but not actually attacking.

I'll get a screenshot right away...

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/28/08 10:56 PM

This is it. He just stands there, in battle-stance but not attacking. This happens most often when I have just finished a "salvo" of attacks...I have waited to see if it was something time/turn-related, but nothing. He just stands there like a hamster and is eventually killed.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/argan1985/w1.jpg

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/28/08 11:40 PM

Drizzt, just a thought, but looking at the image I see that your using your steel sword. Have you tried using the silver one instead with maybe a fast attack?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/28/08 11:45 PM

two things I would suggest are move in closer and click the corpse on the stalk to initiate the attack.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/29/08 12:29 AM

Maybe you need to get stronger on the mainland first. Or a combination of all the above, don't know.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/29/08 02:19 AM

I looked close at the screen shot and it does look to me, like you're getting hit with the poison dart things that it spits. I see the greenish skulls above Geralt that mean he got poisoned. They will show up with each dart thing that he gets hit with. Or am I nuts?

And I agree with Milee, the steel sword is pretty useless against that plant. If you go into the journal and read baout the echinops, it tells you it's vulnerable to silver, and fire.

I think it's just a matter of leveling up - including the Igni sign - and trying it again. It took me a long time to get the hang of those nasty plants!

Keep at it Drizzt, you can do it! thumbsup

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/29/08 04:01 AM

Steel will be utterly useless against these things. It does look like you're using the steel sword; is that right Drizz? It's hard to tell for sure, but I agree with looney that it does look like he's been poisoned. You need to get right up close and personal with these things to kill them - after you hit them with Igni if you can.

I don't know if this helps because I'm using OTS (Over the Shoulder), but I just hit this one with Igni and ran in to click on that thing Trail was talking about using my silver sword and fast attack mode. http://mypage.yhti.net/~djhoeft/Monster.JPG

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/29/08 05:34 AM

You're on the Gramps quest which probably means that you haven't done a lot of quests yet and are going to have a rough time with these plants. I would suggest that you do all the other side quests before tackling these guys.

You can run away from these plants and Gramps will not die. You don't have to protect him just escort him.

Plus in your battle, as others have said, you are using the wrong sword (should be silver) and you are using the wrong sign (ard instead of ignii) and it appears that you have used no potions.

Also, from looking at your picture, that could very well be the Coccacidium :shiver:which is a trophy and probably the hardest fight in this Act so you really need to be strong to defeat him.

I had gotten silver level up thingys (forgot what they're called) before I tackled this guy.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/29/08 01:34 PM

I thought maybe it was the Coccacidium too, but I don't think so. I think it's the first Echinops you encounter just outside the brickmakers kiln. I remember it well because the darned thing killed me several times. I would run to the end of the path that led to that point by the water and heal up before I would run back in.

I enhanced my sword with a whetstone or a grindstone - can't remember which. One gives you 10% more damage and one gives you 20% more damage. The first time I potioned up with a Swallow and a Tawny Owl too before I tackled these things.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/29/08 05:08 PM

I think the guide indicates that it is likely to come across the archeospore on the Gramps quest. I know the first time I tried this I was way too weak, so went back to the mainland and did some quests. When I returned, it was a much different ballgame. Nothing was a problem at that point except thinking I was invincible and stepping into the middle of wyvern island. grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/29/08 09:49 PM

Oh, my! Wyvern Island was tough enough when I was leveled up and had my new armor!! That must have been quite a slaughter-fest!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/29/08 11:47 PM

I think some of the wyverns killed themselves laughing maybe! grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/30/08 11:17 AM

There are some interesting comments on this subject here

I never thought of using a torch.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/30/08 11:40 AM

Yup, oldman, that link says one of the things we've mentioned here. Drizz needs to get right in front of the darned thing to initiate an attack - after hitting it with Igni a couple of times. The one poster even mentions switching to OTS for the plants. I've noticed that in other battles too that if you aren't "up close and personal" the attack doesn't begin.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/31/08 07:18 PM

Alright, thanks all. I'll give it another go when I have time. (To top all the school work off, a friend just lent me Assasin's Creed. Gah, how will I ever get anything done now?! lol)

I wasn't aware there were any other quests to do...I did all the quests I could find on the mainland, and the game overall seems to be pretty linear...not a lot of paths to follow in the swamp.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/31/08 07:51 PM

There are a lot of side quests in act 2 and completion of each one gains you experience points. You can check here for a list of them.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 01/31/08 10:37 PM

Thanks Oldman. I was busy for some time in that chapter running hither and yon.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/01/08 01:39 AM

I think Chapter 2 is the longest one in the entire game. I'm back in Chapter 4. Boy, was I surprised to find Abigale in the Healer's Hut! I took the Hut this time as my reward from the Hermit. Big mistake. Nothing in it I needed.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/01/08 08:38 AM

I wondered what that selection would do, Drac. Did you take the potions he offered the first time you played, and were they any good? I took the wreath.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/01/08 12:34 PM

The first time I took the wreath. If it did anything for me, I couldn't tell!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/01/08 05:04 PM

Oh, the wreath could be used to solve a minor quest.
Click to reveal..
Used on the sister that killed her sister, to end her wanderings. You know, the one where you had to collect the shards of the mirror and put it together for the bride to be? The game was kind of glitchy at that point though - had to use the wreath three times for it to work

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/01/08 06:37 PM

Hmmm... I do sort of vaguely remember that part. Wonder how I accomplish the quest without the wreath!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/02/08 12:31 AM

I don't think you can accomplish it without the wreath, but you get separate experience points for the other minor quest, which is saving the bride when you complete that one.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/02/08 04:48 AM

Guess we'll see what happens!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/04/08 03:11 PM

Hi all. Yes, just popped in to discover what you are all doing. This next week is going to be almost impossible to find time to boot up the computer. Will take this chance of printing out the last few pages of the Thread. Find having hardcopy at my side is often a very quick way to solve a problem.

Be seeing you,

Alice

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/04/08 05:23 PM

Hi Alice! Hope you can play when you have time and feel well enough! As I said elsewhere, any questions ask away - we love to have a chance to talk about the game.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/04/08 11:49 PM

Ditto to what nickie said, Alice!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/06/08 05:22 PM

Well I finished the game for the last time (at least for a while) and went with Siegfried this time. I still don't like him but gritted my teeth and went this way in order to see play and see this particular ending.

I'm really impressed with this game and reluctantly have opted to move on to Oblivion GOTY since it has arrived.

So I'm saying goodbye to Geralt, Triss and Shandi it's been bittersweet. We've had our ups and downs but overall a very rewarding and entertaining experience.

I will say that other than the long loading times, which I resigned myself to, the only peeve I had about the game was the retrieving items from dead bodies. I wish they would have named the remains rather than just have everything read remains. Especially when you're looking for a particular item on a particular body.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/06/08 05:46 PM

I couldn't bring myself to do that, but I'm very curious about how the game played out with joining Siegfried! May just have to play it that way, because other games are just not so interesting at the moment. One problem with playing a game that one enjoys so much, but it's not a bad problem. grin Or maybe I'll pick up Oblivion GOTY like you did Oldman - couldn't play the original with the so many patches needed.
I agree with you about the remains - for instance, a key on one body in the sewers made an area much easier to access, and only found it by luck. I would also have liked to be able to put all the baddies weapons in inventory to sell, since I was so broke at the beginning of the game.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/07/08 01:28 AM

I'm just about to wind up Chapter 4 and I'm going with the elves this time. Then I'll put it away for awhile. I'm like Nickie, I don't know if I could make myself align with Siegfried, but I'll have to see how then ending plays out next time!

Ditto on the remains. That and even having stuff to buy towards the end of the game. I'm going to have over $10,000 orens heading into Chapter 5 again and nothing to spend it on. Lots of people were complaining about the lack of inventory to pick up weapons to sell on the Witcher forums.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/07/08 04:53 AM

Wow, I went with Siegfried the first time around so I can't wait to see what it's like not going with him! I think he was a pompus so-and-so, but I liked what he stood for, so I did go with him. Not this time tho, I think this time I'll stay neutral!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/07/08 07:55 AM

I bet that will be harder looney - that will make everyone against you right? I just thought there was an endless supply of those guys to fight in town towards the end, but if you have to fight both them and the elves - I'm getting tired just thinking about it! laugh Actually I guess I did put myself in the middle of it, and could have stood outside of a lot of it, but oh well! rotfl

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/07/08 01:33 PM

I took neutral the first time and the fighting was almost overwhelming! This time I took the elves and I noticed there is very little fighting when I got back to the burning city.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/07/08 05:38 PM

If you didn't think there was much fighting, you must have a lot more energy than I do, Drac! Or maybe it was just compared to the first time? Wow, I think I have to take a nap just reading about it! grin
Posted By: Smiley456

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/07/08 07:48 PM

Does any one know where I might find a diamond in chapter 2?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/07/08 10:26 PM

I'm pretty sure I found a diamond in a chest in the spider crypt in the sewers. Just curious though why you need one, since I can't remember needing it.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/07/08 10:52 PM

I needed it for the gossip woman, but fixed it by giving her glove(s)

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/08/08 01:20 AM

Oh! There is a quest where someone wants a jewel, can't remember which chapter it is in - but it doesn't have to be a diamond. Thought that might be where you were. I never made that connection with the gossip woman - the part about the frock confused me I think, since I couldn't find a dress. grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/10/08 06:48 PM

Well... I've almost finished Chapter 2, only have to get the last Sephirot, before I can enter the Mage tower grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/10/08 08:13 PM

That's great! Getting that last one can take a while, depending on what all you've done.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/10/08 08:54 PM

Good luck, Smiley! That is such a long chapter.

I'm at the Old Manor trying to get through the Salamandra base in chapter 5. I'm playing in medium difficulty this time and having a hard time defeating two of the Greater Brother mutants! But I will persevere....

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/11/08 01:08 AM

I have utter confidence you can do it.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/11/08 02:10 AM

Finally got past the Greater Brothers and then could not kill Azar Javed, no matter what. The first time through the game I killed Berengar and had his amulet, so Azar Javed was pretty easy to kill. Not this time! Berengar helped a little bit, but he didn't last too long. Finally had to go back to Vizima to get my new armor made and cook up some more potions. Went back in and finally got him. I'm currently trying to kill the Zeugal with Yaevinn. I hate this battle - it's mostly just long and boring. Finally quit because I just got tired of it after about 20 minutes. Maybe later this week!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/11/08 07:05 AM

Has it seemed a lot different with the new choices you made, Drac?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/11/08 12:26 PM

Yes, it's been greatly different. I'm continually surprised with the outcomes and who shows up. One of the characters I would have like to have seen developed much more is Adda. Something tells me if there is a sequel that may happen after reading some of the posts at The Witcher Forums.
Posted By: Yankee Clipper

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/11/08 04:39 PM

Well, you guys talked me into playing Witcher and now struggling through the tutorial. Fighting is totally different from Oblivion. I doubt that, for me,The W. will never replace Oblivion though.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/11/08 05:01 PM

Oh what fun you're in for Yankee Clipper! bravo

I said the same thing back when I started, and once I got about halfway thru the outskirts of Vizima, I had the combat system down pretty good and started really liking it.

I'm also a fan of Oblivion, still playing it actually! And now they seem like totally different types of games - lol

Enjoy! smile

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/11/08 05:09 PM

The fighting style does take a little getting used to - several people have commented on that. Hope you enjoy the game!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/11/08 06:13 PM

Hi smile

Once having got used to it, I found the fighting actually much easier to control than having to click like a maniac through every battle.
I quite got to like that "flaming sword" grin grin

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/11/08 06:53 PM

Me, too. I struggled with my instinct to click madly, but now I really like it. I must just let all the moves play out before I start the next set. Actually, I love watching Geralt go through them all. Some are pretty spectacular!
Posted By: Belgar

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/12/08 03:24 PM

Glad to see I am not alone.
Starting with Ch3, the choices become harder and harder. What to choose? be good with humans? help the elves or dryads?
I hope many see the underlining story and how many of the dialogues transpire in real life on how humans interact?
A lot of the actions in the game done by humans really reflect how our society is treating many other nations, people, groups,... at least this is the morale I get from many of the dialogues.

In any case, I hesitated a lot. Save the blue eye girl, kill vampiress? Side with Triss or not? Help the bank robbery to escape or not?

In the end, I always picked the guys who fought against the humans. Eventhough Gerald seems to feel bad about it. I feel that with the bits of info he gets about his past, he will see that humans weren't always as nice as they seem. Strange isn't it?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/12/08 04:48 PM

Difficult for Geralt because his purpose is to aid humans and fight monsters, but then he encounters monsters in human form and monsters that are beautiful inside. I thought it was wonderful.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/12/08 05:07 PM

I couldn't believe how caught up I got in the decisions I had to make and the consequences they might have for others. I had to keep reminding myself this was just a game! I particularly liked the werewolf interactions. I agree. Wonderful.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/12/08 05:47 PM

There was one decision I couldn't figure out if what I chose made a difference later on, and I was curious.
Chapter four quest spoiler:
Click to reveal..
When you have a choice to tell the groom about who killed the sister of the bride or not. If you tell him, the wife's lover goes to jail. If you don't tell and he remains free, does he help in any way later in the game?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/12/08 06:23 PM

Click to reveal..
I didn't tell the first time and I never saw Adam again in the game.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/13/08 08:58 AM

Thanks Drac! I felt bad because I told on him, but not so bad as I would have if it made a difference later on.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/13/08 01:28 PM

I'm on my way to finish chapter 3, but now I have to talk to Yaevinn and Sigfried and try to get one of them to become an ally. But where do I find Yaevinn? Since I've been unable to find him any where mad

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/13/08 05:03 PM

If you go to the Druid area and can't find him, ask the Elder where he is (can't remember if you ask the top Elder or one of the others) and he'll tell you that Yaevinn has gone to the camp, which is located near the Tower on your map (northeast of the druid camp).
Once you get to the camp, he's wandering around - I think I found him off to the right (hit your alt key for the titles makes it easier to find him)

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/13/08 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Smiley456
I'm on my way to finish chapter 3, but now I have to talk to Yaevinn and Sigfried and try to get one of them to become an ally. But where do I find Yaevinn? Since I've been unable to find him any where mad

He should be in Vivaldi's house.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/13/08 05:16 PM

Oops sorry, gave you the answer for the wrong chapter! blush
Oldman is right of course! He goes there after the bank robbery.
Posted By: Srebrna

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/13/08 08:41 PM

There was one decision I couldn't figure out if what I chose made a difference later on, and I was curious.
Chapter four quest spoiler:
Click to reveal..
When you have a choice to tell the groom about who killed the sister of the bride or not. If you tell him, the wife's lover goes to jail. If you don't tell and he remains free, does he help in any way later in the game?

I read that it makes difference only in regard
Click to reveal..
to later being able to release Celina's soul together with her sister's. I decided to report him to Julian, too, so I'm not sure about this

I'm so sorry that I discovered this cheerful thread only now that I finished the game, you have so much fun in here bravo

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/13/08 08:56 PM

Thanks Srebrna!
Click to reveal..
I did release the sister of the bride too
- those little things make me curious about playing it again and trying other things, like Looney and Drac are doing!
Glad you found us now, and we still like to talk about it, so any time is good! What did you think of the game, and are you going to replay?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/13/08 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: oldman
Originally Posted By: Smiley456

He should be in Vivaldi's house.

I found him after several tries. But I really hate how difficult it is to survive from the kikimore queen. Since I've already tried five times mad

Edit: I finally survived the Kikimore Queen after trying 8 times grin
Posted By: Yankee Clipper

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/14/08 05:29 PM

Well, move over Geralt of Rivia as my Oblivion hero, Mr. Buttons, just joined the Dark Brotherhood so you will have to share the time I guess. Butt is a 39 and Dark B. is his favourite. Oh where were men like these when I was looking for a husband?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/14/08 06:04 PM

Haha YC - at least they're available at the click of a computer switch. Have fun!

Good for you Smiley! That can be an annoying fight!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/14/08 10:41 PM

Nickie, I was totally enchanted by game, and as some of you here I was kicking hubby and son as early as possible to bed so I can have some quality time with Geralt. Needless to say, I didn't succeed to convince any of my gals how hot this virtual guy is lol
Near the end of game I already started feeling melancholic that it has to end. I'm still thinking about replaying (so far I didn't replay any game), but I'm afraid I would stick to same choices - non-humans, Triss etc. Although it would be interesting to play some more with signs, I only used aard and igni.
Also, now I know when to expect new swords so I can better time any upgrading on my own, I went through major part of the game not realizing how to use runes and meteorites.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/14/08 11:26 PM

Smiley456, I know it took me every bit of 8 times the first time I played!

I'm about to face my final battle in the Ice Plains. I was sort of surprised a one of the allies who showed up to help Geralt.

There is only one part I didn't play differently this time.
Click to reveal..
I just can't kill the werewolf!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/14/08 11:32 PM

Draclvr, did you get
Click to reveal..
Celina
to help you this time, I read that few choices decide who will show up on the path. How do you feel about playing it for second time, did you have hard time going against original choices?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/15/08 03:39 AM

Yes, I did get that help. I have to say it was fun to have the game play so differently, but some of the choices were difficult.

Click to reveal..
I didn't choose Triss and has a hard time with Shany's "mushiness." It just didn't fit Geralt at all. But it did work out in the end.

I also played in the intermediate difficulty the second time and that was interesting! I think I will wait for awhile and play again at the highest difficulty.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/15/08 04:14 AM

I had to start all over again! Well, I found myself making mostly the same decisions, I have such a strong idea of what Geralt is like. So I had to just go ahead and start over and I'm making every decision based on the opposite! woozy
It's made a bunch of differences already too. Of course I'm just gonna bet that it won't make a bit of difference with my sweetie, the Queen wink

I agree Drac
Click to reveal..
I couldn't kill the werewolf either, I actually like him! But I think this time I may try to force myself to do it.

I also agree,the medium level is a challenge huh? I'm not sure I could take the hard level! pacify

I have to add this thought about his past
Click to reveal..
I got a conversation option I either didn't have or missed before, but Zoltan says he was there when Geralt "died" He said he saw Geralt get a pitchfork thru his gut and bleed to death right before his eyes. Now the mystery deepens...how did Geralt come back??

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/15/08 04:22 AM

Yup, I got that conversation too. The prequel! I want the prequel!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/15/08 08:33 AM

I got that as well. Not sure if it is the same event, but in Triss' house there is a book
Click to reveal..
that tells about how Triss saved him, at least that is what I thought it referred to, and she did mention at the beginning that she saved him before

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/15/08 12:36 PM

And I got something from the Grand Master during one of the conversations at the beginning of the Ice Plains part.
Click to reveal..
I had told Alvin at one time that he needed to use his gifts for good. The Grand Master said, "You once told me to use my gifts for good." So he has GOT to be Alvin!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/16/08 12:24 AM

I'm staring at my monitor and thinking about starting again.
Drac I agree with you regarding Triss and Shani choices, my idea is to pick Order this time but stay neutral on girls lol sure, I have to give Alvin to someone, but I can ditch them later with 'just friends' letter from Murky Waters.
Also, I'm not sure how different can I choose what to say to Alvin as advices, but it's sure interesting to check outcome.
I'm kinda scared to try medium difficulty pacify

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/16/08 12:30 AM

I didn't notice it was necessarily more difficult, but the battles were longer and there were lots more enemies. Come one! Jump back in! I finished tonight and as much as I hate to leave Geralt behind, I must for now. So you ladies can have him all to yourselves!

Love the idea of the "just friends" letter!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/16/08 01:16 AM

Started again yay
Chose medium difficulty and my first different choice - fighting frightener instead of going to lab. I'm dead already lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/16/08 05:02 AM

Same thing I did, Srebrna! Keep those bells and pots ringing!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/16/08 08:34 AM

And try and stay out of reach of those claws!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/17/08 02:40 PM

I needed some time to realize that pots and bells need to be tickled more than one time. I got so far as deciding on witch's fate in the Outskirts of Vizima, and stopped there last night. It seems so wrong to side with folks and let them have their way with her.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/17/08 03:40 PM

Or you can choose to side with the Witch. I picked her the second time through.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/17/08 05:11 PM

I sided with the witch too. Drac, when you didn't the first time,
Click to reveal..
did the townspeople help fight the boss monster?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/17/08 06:35 PM

Click to reveal..
I didn't have to fight him when I sided with the Reverend. I was not prepared for that fight at all the second time through.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/17/08 07:23 PM

Thanks Drac! I didn't think about that - wonder what that does for the rest of the game. Hmm, may have to see. grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/18/08 02:26 AM

I sided with the witch first time through, so this time I made myself leave her to the mercy of villagers
Click to reveal..
so they burned her on the stake, but fought with me against the Beast, best of all, they are not totally useless, in fact while I was being stunned by Beast's attack, Odo finished it for me

I'm in middle of Act II now, but still running around town, wanted to work on myself for a bit before I meet with that terrible plant at the swamp. So far, supporting different choices, I succeeded not to sleep with any women.
And one thing is definitely easier - keeping inventory better organized, I sell immediately jewelry, books, and generally all things I don't need at the moment. I spent 1.000 orens to upgrade to meteorite sword and now I'm collecting for 5.000 armor.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/18/08 05:17 AM

Nickie, I think I have to amend that other spoiler. I was looking something up for someone else and I think
Click to reveal..
I DID battle the Beast; it was just a minor battle though and nothing like the one the second time through.

Srebrna, I was so much better with the inventory too. Ah, yes. The ever-so-lovely swamp flora!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/18/08 04:13 PM

Ha Drac, are you sure you weren't just seeing if I was reading these posts? rotfl Poof - magic- unstacked.
Oh ok, but it does make the battle more difficult to side with her, interesting.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/18/08 04:19 PM

Thank you, nickie! I think it was much too late for me to be posting last night!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/18/08 06:11 PM

Thanks Drac! I didn't think about that - wonder what that does for the rest of the game. Hmm, may have to see. grin

Nickie I went against the witch one time and:
Click to reveal..
I had to put up with Granny as the healer all through Act IV. After that I never did that again. Granny grated on my nerves and I was really happy to lose her in Act III

I'm now immersed in Shivering Isles and a little disappointed. frown Oh well, different strokes etc. tomato

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/18/08 07:49 PM

Thanks for the warning John - I agree, I can do without that for sure! So far it sounds like the choices I made worked out for my best entertainment. grin
I haven't played Shivering Isles, someday I'll get to it - what don't you like about it?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/18/08 08:08 PM

John, I'd forgotten THAT particular aspect of going against the witch! Imagine my surprise and pleasure
Click to reveal..
to find Abigale as the healer in Chapter 3!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/18/08 08:10 PM

I haven't played Shivering Isles, someday I'll get to it - what don't you like about it?

It was a little too dark and morbid for my taste. I much prefer Morrowind and it's expansions.

I'll probably be replaying this game in the near future. The devil makes me do it. devilchili
Posted By: fildil

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/18/08 11:25 PM

I'm so glad that I can finally ask a question on this thread. I'm in Chapter 2 and I just got the wine from the haunted house, but when I go back to the Inn, the guy is not there. I go to the warehouse and the door is locked. Since I can't tell what time it is, have I come early or too late? Another thing, I have bronze talents but no place to use them. Do they just sit there and go to waste? Thanks

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/18/08 11:41 PM

Fil,
There is more than one character in the game who spends only specific hours at some locations. As I'm replaying Act II at the moment I also spent some time chasing Conrad (wine task guy) around, he's at Hairy Bear in the evenings I think, not too late.
You can distribute bronze talents to your magic signs and steal/silver sword as well - if I got your question correctly and you already distributed talents to basic attributes?

edit: You can get exact time by pointing your mouse over round day/night showing icon in upper right corner

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/19/08 12:13 AM

Thanks Srebrna, I just checked my time and it is seems to be 4:00 a.m. (time seems to fly by). Does this mean that I can catch Vincent at the warehouse at midnight the next day? Just wondering, I know that there are some people you can't speak to and some things that can't be done until either the night or day, so do you just have to wait until the right time, or do you break the quest if it doesn't get done the same day.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/19/08 01:58 AM

Ok the first quest you asked about, the wine, is Conrad and he hangs out in the Hairy Bear. Just check various times of the day. Disappointing quest however,

As for the Warehouse and meeting up with Vicent, you can go on any day at 12 Midnight. That's the only time of day the warehouse is open.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/19/08 02:41 AM

Using the "time" thing with meditation will be important several times in the game. Like oldman says, you can find Vincent at the warehouse at midnight.

You use your talents in the character screen. You have to go to meditate and if it doesn't automatically take you there, just click on Geralt's head. Then spend your talents in the character advancement screen.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/19/08 06:40 AM

OK, here it is 1:33 a.m. and I'm still at this computer playing this game. I cannot kill that big pink thing in the swamp. hardwall I've tried so many times, but I'm having no luck at all. Believe it or not, this thing (I refuse to give it a name) is the first thing that has killed me in this game. Of course, I'm playing on the easy level, but for me to get this far in a game even on easy is terrific. But I've gotten my comeuppance with this creature. I've put oil on my blade, drunk the potions that I have (not too many, but then I didn't need them earlier, did I) tried incinerating the darn thing, but nada. I know that there are more of these things and I don't want this to be a game stopper for me, so any hints and tips would be much appreciated. thanks I think I'll go to be now. grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/19/08 08:24 AM

They can really be wicked. Have you done all the quests you can do before you've wandered the swamps? Hmm tips - well, some of them you can just run and leap by. But fighting them, what speed are you using on the blade? I mean, strong style or fast style? Have you put points into your sword style and into your magic stuff? I put a ton of points into the fire spell. I'd throw a fire spell, back out of the way, throw another fire spell, and then get up close and whack with my sword. But I had to leave the swamps the first time I went because it was just too tough, and do every quest I could find elsewhere first. Run around in the bad areas at night and look for fights, go down in the sewers, etc.
You might use something different on your blade too, and see if that has any effect. You're using the silver sword right?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/19/08 09:09 AM

Fil,
That plant is the reason that on my second play through I finished everything I could in the town to pump myself up. That plant is boss of all plants, when you kill her, you take her head as a trophy that you can sell to Vincent Meis. And whichever way you go when you're for the first time in the swamp, you will encounter it.
It is good to pump your fire spell up - first time I missed to distribute talents to basic spell slots which allow power up of the spell (when holding right mouse button you get charging graphic and you can attack from distance), however when it comes to signs, it seems that you need to put your talent to second slot in branch, and only after you can pick basic slot.
So this time around I filled my fire spell fully (both bronze branches) and used Swallow, Blizzard and some basic effect on silver sword (I think the one giving +20% damage).
You need to position yourself as close as possible to plant and hit it with fast silver style burning her whenever your endurance allows, or use fire spell from the distance with hit and run technique.

edit: forgot to say that as far as I can remember only two quest in swamps need to be finished in one shot - escorting Gramps (he will not get killed following you around) and Long Way From Home that you get from dwarven woodcutter.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/19/08 12:36 PM

Well, I can't possibly add more that nickie and Srebrna, but I'll try. The plant is a wicked foe. Potion up with Swallow and Tawny Owl, hit it with Igni and run away. Hit it with Igni and run away again. Hit it with Igni the third time and come in with your silver sword and hack away. The first time you may have to do this more than once. If you go to your Bestiary in the Journal, it will tell you what each enemy is sensitive and vulnerable to.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/19/08 04:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'm not going to start the game again until tonight or I'll never get anything done today. grin I will try to finish all the town quests and I'll try to beef up my stats. What was scary last night was running into two of these things together. scared I missed out of some quests in Chapter 2 because I didn't kill someone in Chapter 1 (checked the walkthrough too late), so maybe I should be stronger, I'm at Level 12, but running away and fighting seems to be a good idea.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/19/08 04:48 PM

Getting real life things done while playing the game does seem a common problem! laugh I haven't ignored so much stuff that needed to be done since Divine Divinity - but I'm not complaining, mind you. It's wonderful, isn't it, to have a game to play that is so absorbing?
Who didn't you kill Fil? I can't think of anyone that would make that big a difference - there's still a ton of quests in chapter 2 whatever your choices have been, I think. And it sounds like you're doing great! bravo

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/19/08 08:09 PM

Nickie, I didn't kill that Squirrel guy when I was doing the quest of the drowners. When I got to Chapter 2, they had already killed some guy (I think his name was Cooper) at the Inn and the walkthrough I read said that there were some quests that this guy would have given me. I don't know how much experience I missed out on there and I also missed out on some quest to find some merchant's partner in a cave. I'm really trying to be good and not use a walkthrough, but missing some of these side quests won't help me "bulk up" and I need all the "bulking up" I can get. lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/19/08 11:38 PM

I didn't kill him either Fil, and I think later you may be glad you didn't. You're not missing out on quests, others take their place. What walkthrough is it that you're looking at?
I don't think it's a spoiler to tell you that there are two different parties that are each going to want your help. You can elect to be on the side of either or neutral, and the story advances this way. You don't have to choose now, although later you will, and what actions you have taken in the past do affect the story line later.
If you get stuck and can't find quests, feel free to post and we'll try to help.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/20/08 12:29 AM

The walkthrough I was checking is the one on Gamebanshee. I always found their walkthroughs very detailed, especially for a long game. I might even play Morrowwind and Oblivion after I finish The Witcher (if I don't replay it a couple of times) lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/20/08 04:24 AM

Fildil, I'm so glad you're enjoying a round with our favorite Witcher! About the walkthru...this game is filled with decisions that do make differences in the storyline, the differences vary from small to very big. So try not to rely too much on the walkthru, that way you'll get a more personal game...does that make sense? crazy lol

I was surfing around, and I ran across a song by a polish rock band called Vader, about The Witcher, and that led me to youtube where I saw a "story trailer" that had my jaw on the floor...my how things can change from idea to reality!! eek

But watching all this, fired me up all over again...I will never be able to stop playing at this point! lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/20/08 08:12 AM

Fil, gamebanshee is a great site, but I really like the walkthrough here at gamepressure.com if you want to take a look.

Looney, did you see the other Witcher thread here where Belgar posted the Witcher developers are going to be providing additional content for the game? We're going to have to play again, of course! grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/20/08 04:41 PM

Another question, is there anywhere you can buy potions or do you have to carry around all that potion making stuff?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/20/08 05:32 PM

You have to carry it around and use it, use it, use it! The Witcher says in the game that Witchers couldn't win all the time if they didn't have the potions. You are given a very few potions, but you can't buy the actual potions at traders.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/20/08 05:58 PM

Thanks nickie, I made a few potions while I was in the Swamp Forest just to make more room in my inventory and wound up using things that I needed for a quest. lol I guess I should pay more attention to the ingredients that I'm using. I keep trying to find books so that I don't have to buy them. That $5000 armor looks so out of reach.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/20/08 06:38 PM

I went crazy with buying the books, and didn't get the armor until really late in the game. You're much smarter than I was to find them!
One of the potions that helped me a lot was the cats eye potion - mainly from the standpoint that using a torch was awkward in caves ( using the torch, switching to sword to fight, etc). I only occasionally had to use some of the others, but when I needed to use them I really needed them or I couldn't have won the fight.
There are at least two specialized formula ingredients that will make up a talent - early on I was able to make a silver one from the ingredients, and that was really nice!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/20/08 08:11 PM

Gosh, I can't believe I have another question so soon. grin Can I go back and try to finish the side quests I didn't get to in Chapter 2 before I start Chapter 3? I really need the money. lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/20/08 11:24 PM

Not sure what you mean Fil. You've gone to chapter 3 already, and want to do some of the quests you received in chapter 2? If so, some of them are still available, like collect such and such animal for x. If they had a bearing on a person or place that changed due to the main story line, those quests won't be available. Is that what you're asking?
Remember that you can make some easy money fist fighting at the inn or playing poker (scattered locations). I didn't like the fighting, but the cards were easy, especially if you save right before you play.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/20/08 11:29 PM

Fil,
If you didn't start Chapter 3 already you can go around and finish the side quests, or if you did you can reload some previous save before final trigger. And don't worry, I didn't get new armor till the end of the game for the first time, so that's why I was so determined to buy that armor as soon as possible this time around. Many books you can found looting around the houses, sell all stuff you don't need to gain money, jewelry, read books, read formulas, enemy weapon. This time around I carry only two of my swords and using other two slots to gather stuff that I can sell, torches sell pretty good also. As Nickie says, I mostly use Cat and Swallow potions, and different oils for blades.
I discovered great thing this time around, I'm going with Order, so Order Armorer is willing to buy various stuff from me, basically I can sell him half of my inventory, and he keeps it around, so you can buy back from him if you need something.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/21/08 12:12 AM

I'm sorry that I didn't make myself clear. I did start Chapter 3, woke up in Triss' house, took the spheres and put them where they had to go. I'm supposed to go to dinner tonight, but I figure I can go any time at 6:00. My quests say that I have the Alghoul and Echinops quests left and I thought that I would try to do them to make the money. I do find that I don't use a lot of potions just Swallow and Cat and I do use the oil on my blade. I've been using the signs too. Sorry to be such a bother but in games where you have choices, I go a little goofy 'cause I always think that I've made the wrong one. lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/21/08 12:31 AM

fil, you're not a bother at all! Ask away and we'll try to help. That's the beauty of this game - the choices you make decide a lot about your character. I'd go ahead and go to the dinner and have a VERY interesting time there. You will definitely be back in the swamps soon enough and can complete those quests then.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/21/08 02:13 AM

OK Draclvr, I will. Hmmm, I wonder what you mean by interesting?One of the things I noticed in my censored game; is bad language more moral than sex? I've heard a few choice words, but only see Geralt after. wink Can anybody in the uncensored version tell me if Geralt takes off his weapons. rotfl

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/21/08 02:49 AM

Fil, those two quests you can finish in Chapter 3, as you can find both Kalkestein and Gardener, I was late with them too as I didn't have journal entry for monsters needed. I think that only women cards appear different in versions.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/21/08 03:21 AM

Yeah fil, no worries about making "wrong decisions" there is no such thing in this game. Just differences in the stories. That's why I had to play a couple of times - to see the differences. lol

Ya know, the only time I saw Geralt without his swords was when he was crossing in the boats! lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/21/08 03:30 AM

Well, I have the uncensored version and I ASSUME in those misty, lovely scenes he takes them off! But all is left to the imagination and I can only wish. *sigh* Actually, I wish some of the sex scenes on TV would be as tastefully done as the ones in this game...

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/21/08 03:50 AM

I have to agree Drac, it was pretty tastefully done! thumbsup

Are you done playing now? I'm not...I just can't let go yet.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/21/08 11:26 AM

Yeah, I'm done for now. I was sad when I had to leave Geralt, but I'm sure when the new stuff comes out in May, I'll be back into it!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/21/08 12:16 PM

Well, just in case anyone wants it, here's a sort of walkthru for the decisions that you make and the consequesnce. It is classified as major spoilers, so peek at your own risk! wink

Decision Checklist

I'm sure I'll be playing it again in May too Drac, oh what fun, we'll all be playing again! bravo

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/22/08 05:15 PM

I just had to tell you all, I got the armor. bravo I'm thinking of taking the patch off because the game seems to be moving much slower in the Temple Quarter and it crashed twice last night. I don't know if the other patches would be better or none at all.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/22/08 06:55 PM

Good for you getting the armor!
The game moves slowly through there no matter what you do, and you're still going to have some crashes. But if you decide to take off the patch, you're going to have to uninstall/reinstall the game, so you're going to want to copy your save games before you do that. If it isn't too hair pulling and you've gone this far, I would try and stick with it. For me it wouldn't play very long without a crash, so that's why I went back to the former patch. I first played unpatched through chapter 3, and the slowing down of the game was unbearable when I tried to go through streets with lots of folks, like the merchants area.
And by the way, if you look in your game folder there is something called unpatch. Don't click on that thinking it will take the patch off. grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/22/08 07:19 PM

OK nickie, I'll keep it patched. You know a funny thing happened after Geralt gave Triss a ring and they did you know what. I got a picture of Triss in a bathtub and a blue wisp was in her hand. When I looked in the Character tab, I found two pictures of Triss, one in the tub and one in a sheet. Are these the pictures you see in the uncensored version?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/22/08 07:44 PM

I'm not sure what you're asking Fil. You get two pictures of the gal that you choose at that point in the game, so you get two of either Triss or the other one. I thought everyone got the pictures on all of the females, but the difference was that the uncensored version showed the female body, and the censored is strategically covered. No?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/22/08 07:49 PM

I never chose either of the two women, so I don't know for sure. I also never looked at the character tab to see what the card for the other women Geralt "entertained" to see what it was. I know when they first showed the card, it was full nudity in my uncensored version.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/22/08 09:03 PM

OK, that's what I wanted to know. My lady is covered up in all her naughtly places. lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/23/08 03:18 PM

Hi guys - still here and still playing. My job has put a serious dent in my ability to devot time to the more important things in life - cruising with Geralt.

He and I are now in Chapter IV and are currently looking for the river to finish off the last of the drowned dead or drowners - I forget what we are looking for but we'll know 'em when we see 'em laugh

Well back to the fray - so to speak.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/23/08 04:18 PM

Nice to see you Syd! wave I think chapter IV was my favorite of the game. For some fun, save your game and feed the cow some nuts. devil

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/23/08 04:37 PM

Hi nickie nice to be seen again believe me laugh

You know ever since playing Stupid Invaders those many years ago - I've had a certain fondness for cows - (Tilde Sue has her own shrine in the computer room) lol I shall feed said cow nuts forthwith - that is if a. I can find said cow and b. if I can find any nuts - besides me that is laugh

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/23/08 04:57 PM

I remembered that cow wandering the boardroom (not to mention chowing down on the doughnuts). The game may not let you feed the cow until a pertinent quest comes up. grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/23/08 05:22 PM

I've gotta do the cow thing next time! Ummm... a cow in the boardroom eating donuts? Now that would be a sight to see! And indeed, syd, it's great to see you here!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/23/08 06:35 PM

Ah yes, Tilde and the boardroom dounut caper - those were the days [sniff]

Yep Drac 'ole Tilde had quite the rep - she did love the chocolate ones and Jenny even accused her of drinking her Pepsi once but Tilde was moooooved to deny it laugh

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/26/08 07:57 PM

OK, I'm seriously thinking of starting this game all over again. I started Chapter 5 and I've been killed many, many times, from the Dike, to the fighting in the street, to the fighting in the hospital and finally I can't get past the fighting for Rayla outside of the hospital. I'm running out of potions and I can't find anywhere to meditate to make new ones. I think that I made a mistake in choosing to side with the Order, I really don't like them at all. I did cheat and looked at a walkthrough and saw that the fighting gets fiercer. I'm not good at enemies coming at me in droves, I tend to get really addled and panic. grin One bright note, I got Geralt to tell Triss he loved her and she told him back.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/26/08 09:31 PM

Are you using your magic Fil? You can knock the enemies back, or set them on fire if you have some skills in magic. That way you don't have a bunch coming at you at once. And which sword are you using, and did you put points into the group skill?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/26/08 09:42 PM

Nickie, I try to use Ard and Igni and I use the power up with them, and I've tried to put all the talents I can into group fighting with both the steel and silver swords. I'm assuming that I fight elves with the silver sword? I try to fight the Commando Leader, but the healer keeps healing him. I have the best silver sword in the game, but I keep losing anyway. I tried to run away from in front of the hospital just to stop from dying and when I got back Rayla was already dead. Does it matter if I just don't complete that quest? Sorry to say, I don't much like her anyway. lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/26/08 10:48 PM

Fil, you need to use your steel sword with the Elves too. I tried both ways because I wasn't sure either, but although they are considered non-humans, they are not monsters.

You didn't make a "mistake" in siding with the Order. It's just a different choice that will generate different consequences in your play. I found them pretty distasteful too, but will probably side with them next time because I've picked neutral and the Elves so far. White Rayla has died in both of my games so far.

Try using your steel sword, upgrading it with whatever oils you have and diamond dust or a whetstone or grindstone if you have them. Then potion up with a Swallow and a Tawny Owl. Get into group fighting mode, concentrate on one enemy and let Geralt do the work. Cast the Quen sign to put a protective bubble around Geralt if you need to take a potion or just catch your breath. Also try using the Axii and Yrden signs too. Running away was always one of my favorite options!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/26/08 11:47 PM

The Order is the most combat required one only due to the fact that you have to bet White Rayla that you can kill more than her which requires that you kill 20 Squirels.

The advice you've already been given about using steel sword etc is very sage advice for sure.

Running away and fighting smaller amounts of squirels worked well for me.

I don't know how strong your character is and it depends on how many side quests you did in the previous chapters. My character was a seasoned witcher at the beginning of Act V and I had used several gold level up thingys by then (I forgot what they're called). When I looked at my character profile it showed the first two circles used in the Seasoned Witcher category. (don't know if I'm explaining that right)

Click to reveal..
Also if you choose to help the Fish guy in Act IV you get an upgraded steel sword from him as well as the silver sword from the Lady of the Lake

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/27/08 12:14 AM

All good advice - I think when you change swords you're going to see a big difference. But be sure and post back if that isn't the case and we'll see what else we can think of.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/27/08 12:53 AM

OK, you talked me into it. grin I'm going in again and using the steel sword, Swallow, Tawny Owl and Quen. I was just so discouraged last night having to reload so many times, maybe I got a second wind and it's on to victory. rotfl

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/27/08 01:53 AM

You'll get it! Oh, forgot to say, I had a lot of luck with hangman's on my blade (not sure if that is the correct name - brain freeze- but something like that, a poison).

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/27/08 02:48 AM

Hmmm... Hangmans? Don't remember that one. Argentia? No, that was for silver blades. Must look it up!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/27/08 03:16 AM

Hi smile

Hanged Man's Venom was the full name ....

I used it too evil

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/27/08 04:21 AM

I never got that one! Sounds wonderfully evil...

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/27/08 04:32 AM

yay yay yay You GBs are the best. It was the steel sword. I'm at the part where I just killed the mutant Rayla. I wasn't sorry that she died, is that too, too bad of me. evil

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/27/08 08:24 AM

YAY! See, told you that you could do it! grin It really is amazing how much difference the right sword can make. You can use the wrong one, but it's a lot more work.

Drac, I think there's only one way to get the venom formula, unless it was also in a book I didn't get and that is to
Click to reveal..
help Gramps and then not kill him later when you visit him in his hut. To show his appreciation, he gives you the formula
It sure did seem to dispatch folks in a hurry Mad! devil Thanks for the correct name - I can't remember stuff very long - slept since then. sleep

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/27/08 12:40 PM

Aha! The first time I didn't kill him, but never went back to the hut. The second time, I got rid of his evil self.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/27/08 07:30 PM

Well I've finished for the final time until the update comes out in may (or whenever) and my thoughts are this is the best RPG to come along since Morrowind and KOTOR for my tastes.

Terrific story outstanding graphics and gameplay fits my style of play perfectly.

My favorite choices in the game were
Click to reveal..
Chapter 1
Sided with the Witch
Chapter 2
Killed Gramps
Chose Yaeven in Swamps
Chapter 3
Gave Alvin to Triss
Sided with Yaeven at Bank
Chapter IV
chose to kill cow for vodyanoi Priest
Fought for Elves
Act V
Saved Adda

So now it's back to some more of the adventure games I've had waiting in the wings but I'll be back to Geralt when the update comes out. Haven't decided whether I'll download or buy the package new yet but plenty of time to decide that.

I'll be looking forward to all the changes listed plus hoping once again that the load times are shortened as promised.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/27/08 08:30 PM

Glad you had so much fun! It's tough to leave the game and go on, isn't it. That's the mark of a great game, I think.
I did the same things as you did except for two
Click to reveal..
I didn't kill Gramps and no way could I kill that sweet cow grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/27/08 10:24 PM

Me too
Click to reveal..
with the cow. The first time she mooed at me, I was in love with her. I just couldn't kill the werewolf either. Did you kill him in any of your games, oldman?

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/28/08 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
Me too
Click to reveal..
with the cow. The first time she mooed at me, I was in love with her. I just couldn't kill the werewolf either. Did you kill him in any of your games, oldman?

Oops, that's one of the choices I forgot.
Click to reveal..
I never did kill the werewolf really. I saved just before once and killed him but then I changed my mind and reloaded just before the kill and spared him. I just wanted to see what the reward was and it was a werewolf potion that I didn't think was worth giving up the whole Carmen quest for

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/28/08 01:04 AM

Ah, so THAT's how you get that potion. Oh, well. I think I'd rather do without!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/28/08 07:11 AM

After some serious head pounding hardwall, could some kind soul tell me where in the Swamp, in Chapter 5, is Raven's Crypt? I had to come back from Vizima in the Epiloge because I lost the quest for the armor and I've been wandering around bashing Drowners trying to find it. If I find out it was in another chapter, and I lost it, I'm gonna smack Geralt upside his head. rotfl

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/28/08 08:08 AM

Here's a map Fil. Are you sure you really need it? I thought I could get it when I got back to town too, and couldn't, so just finished without it.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/28/08 12:38 PM

Do try to get all the pieces for the armor and get it reforged. It's a great help in the final battle. That's a great map Nickie linked you to. It helped my enormously!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/28/08 12:54 PM

Hi smile

"I'm gonna smack Geralt upside his head"

Ooooh .... My, oh, my !!

That doesn't sound like one of the usual love crazed comments found on a Witcher thread rotfl

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/28/08 05:18 PM

A million thanks nickie, praise. I don't know why it's not marked on the game map. I can't tell you how long I wandered around, getting turned around because of the monsters coming after me, and if you all knew me at all, you'd know that I am directionally challenged. grin My husband kept chuckling at some of the few choice words I was using and my constant: "where is it?", "where is it?" I really wanted the armor because I missed a whole lot of quests in Chapter 5 because of my panic outside the hospital and not getting any notices from the board, and my level is not as high as I would like to go into the final stages of the game. I'll need all the help I can get. Mad, I truely love Geralt, but since he's the one walking, he's the only one I can blame. lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/28/08 05:20 PM

Sounds like you're just about through with the game Fil, so will wait until then to close this long thread. No pressure though! lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/28/08 05:24 PM

Geez, no pressure felt. grin You can close it if you want nickie, I'll try to finish without asking anymore questions (yeah, right). I'm already thinking of my next go through of the game and of the different choices I would make. How's that for confidence. lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/28/08 05:31 PM

Sweetie, you ask all the questions you want to. Haven't you realized yet that we're sitting here hoping you will, so we can talk about Geralt? rotfl

I felt the same way the first time I got in that swamp. I just went in circles, and there's a ton of baddies around every bend.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/28/08 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: fildil
A million thanks nickie, praise. I don't know why it's not marked on the game map. I can't tell you how long I wandered around, getting turned around because of the monsters coming after me, and if you all knew me at all, you'd know that I am directionally challenged. grin My husband kept chuckling at some of the few choice words I was using and my constant: "where is it?", "where is it?" I really wanted the armor because I missed a whole lot of quests in Chapter 5 because of my panic outside the hospital and not getting any notices from the board, and my level is not as high as I would like to go into the final stages of the game. I'll need all the help I can get. Mad, I truely love Geralt, but since he's the one walking, he's the only one I can blame. lol

Once you've made it to the swamp, the fighting in Old Vizima is over so you can come and go as you please. You can always go back to the bulletin board and pick up the side quests. Plus if you haven't been back to Old Vizima since going to the swamp then you probably haven't discussed the armor with either Kelkstein or the Armorer (depending on your choices) then that may be the reason why Raven's cave is not on your map.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/28/08 09:34 PM

Thanks oldman, I guess I'm not going to be finished as fast as I thought. lol I started the Epilog and there was no armor quest. I'm going to have to go back to an earlier saved game and go back to old Vizima and trigger it. Well, I did want the game to last a little longer. grin

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/28/08 11:50 PM

Oldman,
You mentioned interesting thing about swords in Chapter IV,
Click to reveal..
can you get both silver sword from Lady of the Lake and steel sword from Friendly Vodyanoi Priest or it depends on how you solve the quest?

I'm in Chapter V on my second replay and as you guys already mentioned, fighting with Order doesn't feel very noble. From different choices that I made so far, I liked the best
Click to reveal..
killing Gramps - cool fight with many plants around, and I think that I got Hanged Man's Venom anyway, but I have to check on that, and killing Berengar - had to go back one more time to island to meet him, but it was worth it, and he's definitely too weak to be of any help with Azad later.

Fil,
there's one more way to finish competition with Rayla and not fight too much,
Click to reveal..
just let her fight and loot dead bodies lying around to get squirell tails

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/29/08 12:08 AM

I'm not Oldman, but it depends on how you solve that dispute.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/29/08 12:16 AM

Thanks Nickie laugh
I played that quest same both times, I have soft spot for silver blades lol

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/29/08 12:36 AM

Yes, three ways to solve it - I'll let Oldman explain further since he played it more than one way.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/29/08 02:18 AM

Yes you can get both swords in Chapter IV
Click to reveal..
You kill the cow for the priest and you get the steel sword as a reward then you go to the alter whrere you killed Dragon and the Lady of the Lake will knight you and give you the silver sword

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/29/08 02:46 AM

You mean
Click to reveal..
I gotta kill the cow to get the good steel sword???
No way!

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/29/08 05:41 AM

Oh! my gosh, I just finished. I'm so glad that this forum is here because there's nobody I can really rave to about this game. I'm an older lady (ahem) and my children and my grandchildren think that I'm looney tunes for playing these games. I don't even tell my friends I play RPGs. They know I play, but I think they think I play solitaire or something. This was so wonderful I can't even begin to describe it. DD was my first RPG and I loved it and still do and Planescape Torment was terrific too, but this game's story is just as good and has the added fact that the graphics were surperb. The beginning and ending were amazing. I don't want to go on and on, but it blew me away.

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/29/08 06:49 AM

Hi fildil smile

I absolutely agree - this game is indeed a winner !! bravo bravo

Cheers.

Mad yay

Re: The Witcher thread four - 02/29/08 07:23 AM

Congratulations Fil! Super! bravo
I know you would be amazed to know that several of us are older (ahem). grin I'm so glad you liked the game. Hopefully you'll join in when we all play the expansion part due out in a few months. And then maybe there will be mods...
Please feel free to start a new thread on the Witcher anyone.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community