GB HOMEPAGE

Amnesia: Dark Descent

Posted By: JeanK

Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/15/11 12:16 AM

I had a giftcard for Gamestop so picked up this game. It looks pretty creepy, and from what I remember people saying a while back, it is. I started it, then came down with an ear infection so I'm waiting until I feel better to play more.

Sooo, am I going to be scared out of my wits? Is it hard to play? I can't wait till I feel better so I can get started again. crazy
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/15/11 03:33 AM

JeanK, this is definitely the creepiest game I've ever played! I didn't think it was hard to play at all. Well, except for trying to evade all the monsters! I'm used to being able to blast them away from an array of weapons, but in this game all you have is your wits and stealth.

A very good game!

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/15/11 05:53 PM

Thanks, Drak! Hopefully I'll feel up to playing something today. I just got my copy of Memento Mori in the mail too, so I have plenty to keep me busy.

I should do fine on Amnesia since I'm good at running away! lol I'm not as fast blasting things as I used to be.
Posted By: Drizzt

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/23/11 09:15 AM

I've bought it...but I'm too much of a chicken to play it. lol

I will, though.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/23/11 04:01 PM

Come on, Drizz! Jump on in - we promise it won't be TOO scary! snicker

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/24/11 01:23 AM

I got sidetracked with Memento Mori, but I'm going to start this one again tomorrow. Or maybe tonight if I get brave enough. lol

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/24/11 02:24 AM

evil We'll be here for you, Drizzt.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/24/11 02:34 AM

Yes you should play it. I'm dragging my feet, lol, and it would help to have someone else play along.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/24/11 05:54 PM

I thought I remember someone posting a walkthrough but can't find it. Does anyone remember where it is?

Edited to say nm - I just found it!
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/25/11 12:41 PM

JeanK, so glad you found it. wave
Posted By: Barb

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/28/11 02:40 PM

I just ordered it, should start in a few days. It's good to know there will be others playing.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/28/11 06:37 PM

I seem to be stuck in the wine cellar. The monster came in the room and I'm crouched by a bookcase waiting for him to leave. eek Walkthrough says he does, eventually, but I crouched there at least 10 minutes last night and 10 right now and he's still there. Does anyone remember how long it takes?

Barb, I'm glad you'll be playing!! I'm only doing a few minutes a day so you'll catch up to me real quick.
Posted By: Sassafras

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/28/11 06:45 PM

I am LOVING this game!!! Very creepy! Using a couple "cheats" tho cause I am kind of a chicken about monsters in the dark. I like this one much better than the Penumbras- better saves and no actually fighting, just hiding or running!

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/28/11 06:50 PM

Do you remember how long you crouched by that darn bookcase in the Wine Cellar?

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/28/11 08:51 PM

I'm not sure where you are- have you made the acid yet? I've only seen 2 monsters and they both went away after hiding for a bit

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/28/11 08:58 PM

No, I haven't made it yet. I was in the wine sellers picking up the ingredients. When I picked up the last one a monster came in. I'll log back on and wait again, but it seems like I've been hiding forever!

Edited to say: Went back in and waited another 5 minutes. Monster is still there. Plus I keep fainting. At least I think that's what's happening. I'll try again later then load a prior game

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/28/11 09:38 PM

Good luck Jean!

Ana wave

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/29/11 12:34 AM

Arrghhh this game is jinxed for me. I went back to a prior save, got out out the room where there was the cavein, went into the next room, picked up a chemical and something shut the door. Now it won't open.

I'm thinking the aggravation factor is outweighing the fun of the game and may just quit.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/29/11 02:11 AM

Oh, that stinks Jean. I'm sorry. Can you go back to the other save?

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/29/11 02:25 AM

It's so bizarre. I went back to an older save, and everything was in my inventory that I had picked up on the later save where the monster trapped me. But this time I didn't see him and got to the area I needed to get to. If that makes any sense to you.

It's almost as if the game changes the saves. Unless I'm remembering wrong, lol. crazy

Anyway, I got to the next area and quit for the night. It's kind of unnerving playing a game just waiting for stuff to appear.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/29/11 02:31 AM

I am glad you got it worked out. Maybe it's possessed! lol

Ana wave

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/29/11 03:16 PM

Maybe the game is causing you to lose your sanity in real life too ...... crazy

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/29/11 09:57 PM

lol It could be that I'm losing it. It really is a creepy game, and when I had to stand there looking at the wall for the longest time hearing that monster in the background, it freaked me out! zombie

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/30/11 02:06 AM

I actually shrieked out loud once when I turned around and one of the monsters was right there behind me!

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/30/11 03:37 PM

My copy just arrived, so I'll start as soon as I finish Silent Hill 2.
Posted By: MaG

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/30/11 08:12 PM

Sound like a really scary game. eek

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/31/11 02:39 AM

Barb, let us know what you think.

wave MaG puppy

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/31/11 12:05 PM

Will do, L4L. What part of Alabama are you in?

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/31/11 10:22 PM

Hi ya Barb, we are in central Al, where it is hot....but then it seems to be hot everywhere. wave

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 07/31/11 11:53 PM

I finally made it to the refinery. I'm only playing about 1/2 an hour a day since the atmosphere is so creepy!! I can't take much more than that, lol

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/01/11 12:26 AM

bravo JeanK......I'm so glad you are enjoying it. wave

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/01/11 12:38 AM

I'm not so sure enjoyment is the word since I'm scared most of the time, and nothing has happened yet! Well, a few little things. It's the atmosphere. It kind of reminds me of the psychological suspense build up in old Hitchcock movies. I know there are monsters and scary things coming up.

My guy will be walking along and all of a sudden start freaking out, breathing hard and all. It makes ME freak out!!

I might have to start playing in the daytime instead of at nigh. eek

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/01/11 09:50 AM

Hi Looney & Jean, I started the game, but I'm not sure if I'll like it. Does it stay so dark through the whole game? I like to be able to see at least some of what I'm playing!

We're planning to move to Alabama as soon as we sell our house; to Sylacauga, or the Lake Martin area.

It's very hot in Kansas, too!

Barb

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/01/11 01:31 PM

The game is definitely dark - both in content and appearance. I'd suggest changing the settings on your monitor to brighten it up a bit if you're having trouble seeing things.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/01/11 01:56 PM

JeanK, I had a game I had to play during the day with the tv and all the lights on. lol There is a reason I don't play scary games.

Barb, the Lake Martin area is beautiful. We used to camp there frequently when the kids were little. I would love to have a house on the lake but that is not happening unless a rich relative dies and leaves me all his money. Of course, for that to happen, one must have a rich relative and I don't. rotfl

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/01/11 02:13 PM

heh heh, wish I had one, too, Looney.

I did turn up the brightness & figured out how to use the tinderboxes. Is there a map anywhere in the game?

We may not be able to afford a house on the lake, but maybe we can get close.

Hey, Drac wave , what are you playing?

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/01/11 02:24 PM

Barb, right now I'm playing with 148 tomato plants, family visiting from Germany for 3 weeks and managing the bar at our American Legion post while the bar manager is on vacation for 2 weeks! Toss in volunteer work shoveling horse poo at the Humane Society horse rescue ranch down the road and there is nary a game in sight!

But when things quiet down, I will get back into Witcher 2 which I started and had to leave for the time being.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/01/11 05:54 PM

Gee Drac, sounds like you need something to do! smile

I really should give the Witcher another try. I got stuck trying to figure out what to do & went on to something else.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/01/11 07:42 PM

I'm not very far into the game yet, Barb, so can't say if there is a map. It would be good if there were. Maybe I'll do a search later and see if I can find one.

I'm using the walkthrough that someone posted here:

http://www.gamershell.com/faqs/amnesiathedarkdescentwalkthrough/1.10/

It helps somewhat.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/01/11 11:01 PM

Thanks Jean, that's the WT I have, too. I haven't used it yet, but I'm sure I will. A map would be wonderful. I don't usually play games that don't have an auto-map.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/05/11 10:27 PM

Oh Sheesh I am having a very hard time with this water. How many times is that thing gonna kill mer fer crying out loud!!! I cant seem to time it right

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/06/11 03:16 AM

I think I did the water part about 20 times before I finally got out of there! If you get to a box that might have some yummy snacks for the monster, just throw them into the water away from the direction you want to go. It should keep him busy for a little while.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/06/11 04:37 PM

Thanks Drac wave

Did you get the treats Sassafras?

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/07/11 01:53 AM

Yeah , but I think he likes the taste of ME better!
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/07/11 12:24 PM

If it's any help, when you throw the "snacks" and the creature moves towards them, wait until it actually starts eating them *before* making a run for it. Otherwise the big 'orrible turns back and goes straight for you instead.

(I've been watching YouTube Let's Plays of this one!) laugh

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/07/11 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Sassafras
Yeah , but I think he likes the taste of ME better!
rotfl

Did you get it?

Thanks Rushes wave

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/13/11 03:10 AM

I got sidetracked with a pulled back muscle so haven't been able to play this in a bit. Sitting for me than 10 minutes has been uncomfortable, but I'll probably be able to get back to it in a day or so. Now that hopefully you all have passed me up I'll be able to get advice!

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/20/11 10:15 PM

Doggone it!!! Does anyone have a saved game right after this water thing???

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/20/11 10:46 PM

Sass, I haven't played this, but hopefully one of our other members will be able to help you out. Which Windows are you using?

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/21/11 11:30 AM

oops sorry XP media edition
Posted By: presto

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/21/11 06:49 PM

Sassafras,

Unfortunately because of the game's autosave feature I only have save games from later on in the game.

What section of the Cellar Archives are you having a tough time with? The first hallway with the timed lever? The second room with the wheel? Or the third room with the locked door?

I might be able to tell you what I did to conquer that water monster if I knew exactly what part you're stuck on.

Alternatively, if nobody here has any advice for you, you might consider sending me your game at the point you're stuck at and I can play through it for you. Although that idea terrifies me. eek

Being that we're due some extreme weather later today I can't promise that I'd be able to return the save game to you by the end of today, though.

Best,
Leigh-Anne

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/21/11 07:23 PM

I checked and none of my saves will work either. Unfortunately, my game is from Steam and it won't load right now. I have a support ticket in to them.
Posted By: mcc

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/21/11 07:51 PM

Any idea of the name of the save you need or the name of the last saves you have? for some weird reason I would have to re-install the game to see the saves(it is from Steam also). I have all the auto-saves, though.

I don't really know what happened with my game (comparing to other boomers). I didn't really play this game as Darkside, I didn't feel like it even when I am a darksider at least as much as an adventurer. I just let the monsters kill me scared and after one or two kills they disappeared !!! The game became easier for that particular part. Is it happening to the rest of gamers?
Posted By: cazziejoe

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/25/11 04:54 PM

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/978772-amnesia-the-dark-descent/cheats

Here's a link to enable Quicksave in Amnesia. Most convenient.
caz

Edit: OK so been playing for about 3 hours and have yet to see a boogie-man. Is that right?
caz
In the Map Room

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/26/11 02:41 AM

Hmmmm....maybe you are just lucky? wave

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/26/11 03:22 PM

Hey, mcc, could you do me a favor and launch your Amnesia game from Steam? Mine won't play and the suggestions they have sent don't work. The reason I ask is because in the first splash screen where it lists your video card etc., I have a square on the lower right that says Justine. Huh? Who is Justine? I'm trying to figure out if you have such a name or if your username is there..

If it's too much of a hassle, thanks anyway! I will just ask Steam about it.
Posted By: presto

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/26/11 03:51 PM

Draclvr,

Justine is the name of the DLC that was released a couple of months ago to coincide with the release of Portal 2. Steam users got the download first while lowly people like myself who downloaded the original game directly from Frictional Games were the last to get the Justine add on. I've yet to play it though.

Hope this helps. I've no idea why your game won't launch though. I don't use Steam.

Best,
Leigh-Anne
Posted By: mcc

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/26/11 04:16 PM

Draclvr, I'll try, last time it said I needed to re-install the game, I guess this should be no problem.

Edit
I re-installed and as you say Justine apppears and clicking it one can play the DLC as mentioned by Presto. I'll do this sometime.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/26/11 05:19 PM

That you so much presto and mcc! That explains that.. I had no idea where it came from. Still can't play the game, but I hope they can help me figure it out soon.
Posted By: Terri824

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/29/11 08:30 PM

Hi. I am thinking about getting this game and have some questions. I said I would not play another game by the same people that produced Penumbra and yet here I am.
1. Is there a walkthrough on GB?
2. Is this game anything like Penumbra? (the second one). I did not enjoy that one,
3. Is there any action in this game?, as I am not an action game player
4. Is it point and click or keyboard?
The more questions that I ask and the more that I remember the Penumbra game, the more I think this may not be my cup of tea.
Whats-ya think?
Terri
Oh, also is it heavy on the graphics? (Zotac GeForce Gt220)

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/29/11 08:49 PM

Well, I finally got my game issues sorted out with Steam and it plays. You will have to check the walkthrough section here at GB; I'm not sure. There are several out there though.

It is not point and click. I use WASD on my keyboard gamepad and the mouse. CTRL is crouch which is important to hide from the monsters; left shift + W will let you run. But that's about it for movement keyboard controls. You also use the keyboard for your inventory etc. There are no weapons involved and you don't kill anything. Stealth and hiding are your only tools. It's not exactly adventure and it's not exactly action either - sort of a hybrid I guess.

The game is the most seriously creepy and scary one I've ever played. You never quite "see" the monsters except in shadow, but they scare the daylights out of you anyway. Sound effects are used to great advantage to scare you too!

You can download a demo to try out and see if you like it. The game requirements aren't too high, but your GT220 should be fine. You can always try this website to see if your computer can run a game. Can You Run It
Posted By: MaG

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/29/11 10:36 PM

Thanks, Draclvr.

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/29/11 11:38 PM

Thanks Drac wave

Thanks MaG wave

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/29/11 11:59 PM

Hi Draclvr. I didn't find the WT on GB, I'll look again. Must have missed it. I was going to d/l the demo as you suggested but am having a problem with the site. I registered and it said that my account is in use on another machine. I've only gone into the site on my Vista pc. Guess I'll wait and see what happens in a bit. Now it's saying the account doesn't exist. Oh well, I'll check it out later.
Thanks, wave
Terri

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/30/11 01:52 AM

If you checked GB for a walkthrough and there wasn't one, then look on the internet. That's where you should be able to fine them.

Which mirror were you trying to use to download the Demo? There are 4 of them...

Amnesia Dark Descent Demo

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/30/11 04:40 PM

Thanks Drac wave

Did you get it Terri?
Posted By: cazziejoe

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 08/30/11 04:53 PM

I didn't think it was action at all. There's no fighting and a little running. It actually reminded me of the Lost Souls games.
Just Google 'Amnesia walkthrough' and you'll have your pick.
caz

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 09/01/11 05:06 PM

Hi. I didn't get the download because I was having problems registering the account on Steam. Now I need to uninstall Steam from my EHD and either forget it or put it on my C drive.
Terri

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 09/03/11 03:57 PM

Awww Terri, sorry you weren't able to get it worked out. wave

Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent - 09/03/11 08:42 PM

Update...... I did get it to register but since I was having a problem with the EHD I uninstalled it but am thinking that wasn't the problem. Guess I'd better post back in tech forum.
Thanks L4L
Terri wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community