GB HOMEPAGE

Olympics

Posted By: JennyP

Olympics - 07/22/12 10:47 AM

Is everyone excited about the Olympics ? Does anyone else have tickets ? The torch is coming near work on Tuesday just before worktime so I will dash down & see it - I also have tickets for footie & gecko wrestling ( Greco Roman wrestling ) . The biking is so near me I cannot get to work as all the roads are closed - and there are floral bikes on the roundabouts and pretty banners lining the roads.
AND my trumpet son is playing 3 times in the Olympic stadium, one of them is the closing ceremony.
Does anyone out there have Olympic news / experiences to share ?
penguin
Posted By: Mad

Re: Olympics - 07/22/12 12:09 PM

Nothing like your news, JennyP lol

Mine is that I will certainly be watching or recording the bits I like yes

Re: Olympics - 07/22/12 12:39 PM

Whereabouts are you, Mad? Has the torch come your way ?
Posted By: Homer6

Re: Olympics - 07/22/12 04:13 PM

Nothing like having such an exciting event right in your lap.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Olympics - 07/22/12 04:19 PM

I will watch bits and bobs on the TV that interest me. I try and watch the Gymnastics for sure.

Enjoy the festivities! Congrats to your son! bravo

Ana wave
Posted By: 3dobermans

Re: Olympics - 07/22/12 04:47 PM

Jenny, how exciting for you.
I always look forward to the Olympics especially the equestrian events which they seldom show much of. Also like track (long distance) and gymnastics.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Olympics - 07/22/12 04:47 PM

Jenny, how fun! puppy
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: Olympics - 07/22/12 05:35 PM

I'm afraid I can only get the Olympic Spirit by watching my TV. Would be so great to be there with you and all the pomp and circumstance! Must be exciting to have your son as part of the celebration! bravo
Posted By: Darlene

Re: Olympics - 07/22/12 06:18 PM

woot Wow, Jenny! Woohoo and booyah!
Posted By: Chief

Re: Olympics - 07/22/12 08:12 PM

Jenny, good for you to be close to the action and for your son to be at the Closing Ceremony. He must be a very good musician. thumbsup

At the Montréal Olympics in 1976, my wife and I (both Phys Ed teacher at that time) had the chance to work at the Montréal Forum (then the home of the hockey team Montréal Canadien) for the Gymnastics.

My wife was in charge of the announcement on the big central screen and I was coordinating all the people working around the judges.

That is when Nadia got her perfect notes of 10 and that our small announcing screens for the notes at each apparatus could not show the 10.00
We had to put up 1.00 as a note. That got every one to worry until they realise it was 10.

In the final, for both men and women, I worked on the floor going from one apparatus to the other to be sure the counting of the note were perfect.

And since we were working for the Olympics, we both had the chance to be at the Olympic Stadium for the final horse show and for the Closing Ceremonies.

That was a very nice and fun summer.

And you can bet that I'll be looking at the London Olympics and maybe spot JennyP along the bike route. yay

Chief wave

Posted By: Lotus777

Re: Olympics - 07/22/12 09:35 PM

Oh Jenny, how exciting for both you and your son! I am far from the fun but will try to watch the Equestrian Events although in the pat they are in the middle of the night here. Guess I can DVR them. If you get any pics I am sure we would love to see them. thumbsup
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Olympics - 07/23/12 09:33 AM

Jenny how lucky you are and how wonderful for your son! I will be watching on TV. My favorite events are the equestrian competitions which I hope will have better coverage this time around.

Re: Olympics - 07/23/12 12:49 PM

Hi JennyP smile

I live close to the coast in a rural area of Lancashire and yes, the torch passed through several locations quite close by.

I watched it all on TV however as I would have had to travel by car and parking in the vicinity of any of the routes would have been impossible laugh

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: flutist

Re: Olympics - 07/23/12 02:48 PM

Woo hoo Jenny. Have a wonderful time.

Re: Olympics - 07/23/12 05:38 PM

Oh WOW Chief. I'm well impressed .
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Olympics - 07/23/12 09:17 PM

Jenny,

What has it done to the traffic around your house?

Have fun and stay safe.
Posted By: aretha

Re: Olympics - 07/26/12 03:37 PM

I had what I call a sporty day out. Went into my town centre and watched the Olympic torch go by. Then my local cinema late morning to see the re release of Chariots of Fire. Then late afternoon to my local sports centre (being used by visiting Olympians) where I had my photo taken holding an unlit Olympic torch which had been made available to the public.

My fitness instructor didn't think it was a sporty day out at all so I don't suppose she'll be impressed with me sitting infront of my tv for the next few weeks just watching sport grin The Queen's Jubilee and Olympics in the same year! A good time to be in the U.K. happydance

Re: Olympics - 07/26/12 10:38 PM

SQF , traffic in gridlock. Yay, Aretha, you can always do sit ups in front of the telly ... ( ice cream is more fun though )
Posted By: flutist

Re: Olympics - 07/27/12 07:31 PM

What is the best network to watch the olympics? I just want to watch the games, not interviews.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Olympics - 07/27/12 08:36 PM

I am not ignoring you Bets, I just do not know. Hopefully someone who is watching will fill you in.

Ana wave
Posted By: Chief

Re: Olympics - 07/28/12 05:44 PM

JennyP, were you well situated to see the bike event?

That was a great race. yay

Chief wave
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Olympics - 07/28/12 07:38 PM

I was down in my local town, just a 5 min walk away, at 8.00 AM on Tuesday to see the Olympic Torch relay - I can't believe how many people turned out to line the streets but the weather was glorious (we needed it!) & the long summer school break had started. It was a wonderful atmosphere but the police had trouble keeping the crowds back on the sides of the road so it's a wonder no-one was crushed by one of the vehicles!

I watched the opening ceremony last night wondering how anyone could beat the amazing show that Beijing put on 4 years ago! Hopefully we matched it with a different style & I just loved the concept of the lit 200+ copper petals representing all the countries taking part merging together for the olympic flame!

JennyP you must be so proud that your son is going to be part of the closing ceremony!
smile

Happy Birthday JennyP! birthday
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: Olympics - 07/28/12 08:48 PM

Awesome Olympic Opening! My favorite moment was James Bond and the Queen. I couldn't believe Her Majesty was actually 'acting'. Oh so fun.
Posted By: aretha

Re: Olympics - 07/29/12 09:19 AM

When they didn't show the Queen's profile I knew it was an actress - then the shock that it was actually Her Majesty! An amazing surprise. I loved that they included Sir Tim Berners Lee who gave us all the world wide web. And the cauldron constructed before my eyes - unbelievable. Just loved it all.

Re: Olympics - 07/29/12 02:04 PM

Great Opening Ceremony I felt yes
Very little "pomp & circumstance" and thankfully NOT celebrity ridden !! Much more of an event for the people by the people bravo

With the bonus, too, of even further proof as to just how "current and with it" our Queen still is - despite her now grand age praise

Plus, for me, the Olympic Cauldron itself is the best of any I have ever seen at any games. Really beautiful thumbsup
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Olympics - 07/31/12 08:14 PM

We've always watched, and once or twice knew someone who was competing. There certainly have been some exciting moments in the past! (I still remember Nadia's Perfect 10.)

It is fun to watch when the games occur in a city you know well, because you can play "Landmark Spotting." LOL We do have a friend who lives and works in London, we love visiting that city, and we are enjoying her posts and photos on Facebook.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community