GB HOMEPAGE

anyone read any good books lately........

Posted By: Betty Lou

anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/05/13 01:54 AM

A year ago we bought ourselves a kindle reader, and last year sometime I finally picked it up and started to learn how to use it. Discovered the list of FREE books I could download and grabbed up several old classics I had not read - one being Les Miserables by V Hugo and I plodded thru the whole thing after seeing the musical movie on the big screen - no comments here on my resulting soooooooooo tired feeling (seems V H could not forget to use any word he could or would have ever heard!). ANYWAY - I have just now finished reading one of my 'discoveries' which is a 5 book series called 80AD by Aiki Flinthart and I LOVED this storyline! If it weren't for all the physically draining physical fighting in this story it would make a fabulous PC game! I highly recommend this set to those of you who like gaming, science fiction and fantasy as I do. ANOTHER GREAT READ!
Whatcha all out there recommending?
P.S. I love my Kindle reader, am finding so much to read am wishing for more reading time in my life (and I LOVE FREE stuff)
Love, Betty Lou
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/05/13 02:06 AM

Betty Lou,

Since you mentioned fantasy I would recommend George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series that begins with A Game of Thrones. HBO is running a series based on the books and they are my all time favorites. Enjoy your Kindle. happydance
Posted By: Homer6

Re: anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/05/13 05:55 AM

I'm always reading interesting books, if you like sci-fi. I recently read Gunslinger, Dark Tower 1 by Stephen King. I usually don't read his works because the genre doesn't interest me. But not his Dark Tower series, which I will read.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/05/13 10:50 AM

Betty Lou how about some mysteries by Anna Perry? The William Monk or Thomas Pitt series are both set in Victoria England.
Posted By: granny

Re: anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/05/13 02:42 PM

What I like most, with about 250 books, I get mixed up with titles now and then, and Amazon tells me I have all ready got that one in my Amazon List. So when you delete a book, it's not bought twice.

I LOVE !!! Sci-Fi and Fantasy...
Dragons Awayyyyyyyy
Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/05/13 04:19 PM

Ah, granny, have you read ALL of the Anne McCaffrey Dragonrider series? GREAT reads, and I hate to see the storyline end, want more, moRE, MORE!
Also loved the MYST 3 books, want MORE of that line too. AND, the series by Laura King of (Mrs) Sherlock Holmes!
Love, Betty Lou
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/05/13 04:57 PM

I love to read, and adore my Kindle. I just finished the Wheel of Times series by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson. Now I'm hanging out with Conal and Alexia Maccon in Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. It reminds me of the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters.

Like Betty Lou, I love Anne McCaffrey and like Quest, the Song of Ice and Fire series.

I'm not sure what I will jump into when I finish my current series. Does your library offer e-book loans? Ours does and it makes me do the happydance when I can check out and return books while I'm still in my pj's and sipping coffee in my den. wave
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/05/13 05:16 PM

I have been able to indulge my book addiction to its fullest with my Kindle Fire. I make good use of my local library too. I read the long Outlander series by Diana Galbadon with library checkouts. Some of the books are VERY big and I found a little trick to allow me to finish a book if I wasn't done in 2 weeks. I just turned off my WiFi connection on the Kindle and I could continue reading. The book was "returned" at the library for the next person in line and I could finish the book. When I turned the WiFi back on, of course the book was deleted.

I highly recommend this series if you are interested in a little time travel and some wonderful Scottish history. In 1945, a woman is accidentally sent back to Scotland in 1763. Good stuff!

Kindle Nation on Facebook is also a very good source of free books every day.
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/05/13 07:36 PM

OH Homer6! I read (well actually listened to on audio tapes) the Gunslinger. Then I discovered there was a series and managed to order all of it. I'm now on Song of Susanna. Awesome stuff in there. Only one more to go after that one. King is a very inventive writer. Can't wait to finish the series but I only listen when I drive and it takes about 2 months to finish a book. They are soooooo long. Exciting stuff.

Re: anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/05/13 07:41 PM

Oh, yes, the Dark Tower series - loved it! It's been so many years that I may just have to read it again.
Posted By: luv2travel

Re: anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/05/13 09:34 PM

I adore my Kindle Fire! I bought the 8.9" HD one last Christmas when it went on a 1 day $50 off sale, and gave my 1st gen K Fire to my best friend so she can enjoy too! I also signed up for e books from my local library! Thanks L4L for that idea, but didn't know about the other trick....Heh heh.
Has anyone read Jim Butcher's series of Dresden Files? I love urban fantasy so much, and can reccommend them all. Now Reading Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series, and have finished Kim Harrison's Hallows series. Sigh, so glad I found my Kindle!
Andrea wave
Posted By: Lotus777

Re: anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/06/13 12:27 AM

I love my new ASUS tablet...it is awesome and am I in trouble with too many books!!! I have both Kindle and Nook apps so have so much to choose from. I also am enjoying some of the great old classics. Am now reading David Copperfield along with a couple of others that were purchased. Bookbub sends me daily emails of some great deals also and you can choose which device you want the book downloaded onto. crazy

Re: anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/06/13 03:54 AM

I got to read the old Huckleberry Finn books which are free... what a treat!
Posted By: granny

Re: anyone read any good books lately........ - 04/06/13 04:27 PM

Brandon Sanderson is one of my faves, I have several REAL books of his. And of course Irene Radford. Then again, there must be at least 25 or 30 Dragon series stashed in my book cases.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community