GB HOMEPAGE

Black Mirror II Error After Installation

Posted By: Erinus

Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/16/11 11:46 PM

I installed the DVD, which seemed to go OK. However, when I try to start the game I get a "BlackMirror2.exe - Unable to Locate Component" error: This application has failed to start because fmod.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I tried re-installing but it didn't fix the problem. What does this error mean? thanks.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 12:20 AM

here is a link to a fmod.dll file why don't you try downloading it and putting it in your black mirror folder
http://www.dlldump.com/dll-files/F_2.html
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 03:09 PM

If that doesn't work out for you, let us know. I still have the game installed and can send the the file.

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 08:40 PM

OK, I downloaded fmod.dll. I saved it to Program Files / Viva Media / Black Mirror. There are sub-folders in the Black Mirror folder, but I just saved it to the Black Mirror main folder. I tried to start the game again but now it's asking for binkw32.dll. What next?
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 08:46 PM

I also have the game installed, Erinus. I've found the missing binkw32.dll file -- I'll e-mail it across to you. It goes in the main folder, where you correctly placed the fmod file.

Did you install the version of DirectX which came with the game? If not, I'm wondering if that's the reason why you're missing these files.

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 08:52 PM

Yes, when prompted, I did install the DirectX version that came with the game, but it seemed like bing bang boom and then it was done. I'm not sure if it really installed....as usually it takes more than a nanosecond to do that...

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 09:01 PM

Thanks for the file, Rushes. I managed to start the game and chose the normal mode but now I only see black screen. Nothing to click on to make progress. Looks like I'm stuck there now.

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 09:28 PM

Check your email - I've sent you another copy of the DLL. The one you downloaded was a different version.

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 09:32 PM

Thanks, I got it and saved it to BM to replace the other file, but the problem remains. I just can't get a new game to start. I can watch the credits run fine... Weird, huh?
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 09:34 PM

I don't know how helpful this is but I was able to install the disc version of the game onto my XP - got error messages which could have been down to the copy protection, tried everything under the sun but got the black screen to start with - then the game launched into the gameplaying area missing out the introduction. I gave up but paid for a download version which worked perfectly okay. I've since bought a new system on which the disc version has seemed to install & play perfectly. The original problem I'm guessing was a clash between the game CP on the disc & McAfee anti-virus although I disabled it before installing. But according to the good advice here it could still affect the game anyway.

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 09:37 PM

Thanks, Chrissie, but I don't have McAfee at all. I'm also running XP. I should probably disable my WebRoot Antivirus and then try it again on the off chance that it's the problem...

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 09:42 PM

Well, that didn't work. Looks like I might be buying a new PC sooner than later. This is disappointing.
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 10:37 PM

Hi Erinus
Did you try and google for a no cd patch for the game ?
Also did you explore the DVD for a direct x folder and try to install direct x from there ? It's in the support folder. Just scroll down till you see the direct x setup program.

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Erinus
Yes, when prompted, I did install the DirectX version that came with the game, but it seemed like bing bang boom and then it was done. I'm not sure if it really installed....as usually it takes more than a nanosecond to do that...

Try downloading DirectX 9.0c directly from Microsoft -

Microsoft DirectX 9.0c Download
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/17/11 10:58 PM

fmod.dll and binkw32.dll aren't DirectX files and don't go in the Windows\System32 folder. They're game-specific files that the installer should be putting in your game folder.

One thing you could try is to boot to Safe Mode and try installing from there. I don't know if that will work with this particular game, but it's helped with some other games.

Re: Black Mirror II Error After Installation - 03/18/11 02:38 PM

It sounds like your game didn't install correctly for some reason. I have 15 files in my game folder (fmon.dll and binkw32.dll among them).

Are you running Vista or Windows 7?
© 2024 GameBoomers Community