GB HOMEPAGE

Uru - Ages Beyond Myst

Posted By: alfoil

Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/18/12 09:42 AM

How frustrating. I have just started playing this game and its taken me ages to find out how to save. Now when I tried to restart the game I get a deskstop message telling me to exit the game before I can download it again. How do I fix this? Also, to save hours of head banging, do I need to download any patches for this game? All help much appreciated. cheers, Alfoil.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/18/12 02:23 PM

Where did you get the game from? Is it a disc version or a download version? The original disc version has a patch v1.2 that you can read about here
http://www.gamershell.com/news_10567.html

and download here
http://www.gamefront.com/files/1547145/uru12.zip
Posted By: Chief

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/18/12 06:46 PM

I just bought URU Complete Chronicles from GOG.

As the game opens, I'm getting some white grass and other elements of the scenery are also white.

I have Win 7, Home Premium 64 bits SP1,
Intel Core i5 Cpu 760 2.80 GHz
4.0 GB RAM
Asus EAH 6850 series.

Thanks for your help.

Chief wave

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/18/12 07:03 PM

Chief,
I found a similar issue with missing textures discussed here
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/myst_series/uru_missing_textures_and_videos

They say it was referred to as "Relto Snow" and that it was likely a drivers issue.

Alfoil's issue seems to be different -- Alfoil can't start the game at all.
Posted By: Chief

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/18/12 07:13 PM

Jenny, I checked the driver and it is up to date.

I'll see about the other suggestion in the link.

Thanks.

Chief wave

EDIT: this looks like a lost cause.

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/19/12 01:19 AM

Hi, I got the game from Gog as a download. We had it up and running without a problem after a bit of fiddling. I exited it and then couldn't re open again because of the above message I got. Alfoil.

Back again, I tried to reload the game just now and it worked perfectly but, when I tried clicking up the top to activate the save function nothing happened. There is nothing at all.

I don't believe this, I just tried to reload the game to see if "alt" would activate the game feature as recommended by Gog and got the " the game is running , exit".

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/19/12 03:19 AM

So is it working now?
I wonder if your problems have to do with Windows 7 permissions. Were you able to install somewhere other than C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86)? Have you tried playing in Compatibility Mode?

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/19/12 04:49 AM

No it isn't working. I am running XP and have recently upgraded my drivers, processor and have plenty of ram. Also have re downloaded Quicktime again in case there was a problem there - its okay. How to I change it to compatibility mode? As far as I know the game is installed in program files and we were given a choice of where to save it too. As we weren't sure we left it where it was suggested to be. I am wondering if re downloading would make any differance. I have spent ages trawlling through a lot of Uru forums and so far haven't found any helpful answers. Would you believe none of the walkthroughs I have looked at have any mention of how to save etc. Nor have there been any questions regarding the problem of the game not loading. Hope these comments help you sort this out. cheers, Alfoil
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/19/12 09:58 AM

Alfoil doesn't this game only save at "check points" - places in the game where you touch the symbol on the "cloth"? When you return to the game it will start you there I think.

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/19/12 03:07 PM

At this point are you still having the trouble getting the game to start? Or is your only trouble with saving?

Kaki's Sister is right about the "Save" function. There isn't one because the game was conceived as an online game and no save was built in. You can save your location using the Journey cloths, but there is no traditional save feature.

One walkthrough that mentions the Journey Cloth is here
http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcUu/Urubeyond.htm

If you scroll down to the FAQ section it says
Quote:
Q: How do I save the game?
A: Unfortunately, there is no way for an user to save the game when he wants to. :p The game automatically saves any change you make to the Ages, and the Journey Cloths save your position within an Age, enabling you to return to it by linking from Relto. By default the game always loads to Relto Age.

And on the ***Ubisoft website*** it says
Quote:
While there's no function key for saving game progress, all versions of Uru autosave on-the-run during game play. However, unlike many other games, with Uru you can't directly access saves as such from an in-game menu. Until you solve the Desert Cleft puzzles to obtain all of the initial seven Journey Cloths and link to your Relto (personal Age), you'll begin each Uru session where you started in the Desert. Thereafter, you'll start the game at your Relto, from which you can use the Linking Books to link to the Ages you've visited.

So until you reach your Relto, you essentially have to start the game all over again each time you start the game.

It's too bad the game was designed this way. Cyan overestimated both the speed of Internet connections and the speed of the average Myst player's computer (and video card) when they designed the game.

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/20/12 05:12 AM

Many thanks to you all for your help and comments. I get the drift with the save now. I have, believe it or not, found a site that actually tells you to create another save folder and at the end of your play session to copy it into that.(its to avoid any corrupt files that have been saved). I have fixed my problem with not being able to re load the game after I have been playing it previously. Apparently when you have finished playing you have to re boot your computer each time. I have tried this and it works perfectly now. Weird! I have also found the operating manual. Stupid me, I missed seeing it when I opened the Gog file. Its a pdf that you can print out. So, wish me luck. I am going to have a good go at the game now. cheers. Alfoil.

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/20/12 10:21 AM

Alfoil it is a fantastic game! If you have any more questions our GameBoomer expert on all Myst Games "dadguy" is always a great help! Have Fun!

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/24/12 06:01 AM

Having had "dadguy" recommended by you for help for this game I would like some help here. I am attempting to get into a bucket in teledahn and have had about 35 goes at it (I am not exaggerating). I am using a ball mouse and am wondering if this is why I can't get there in time. Any help would be good or, I know this is a faint hope, a patch that does this puzzle! cheers, Alfoil.

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/24/12 09:56 AM

Alfoil that is a difficult part. I had trouble because I couldn't line myself up in front of the bucket.
You first must make sure the bucket stops in the right place when you pull the lever. You can watch it go and then watch it leave and see how the buckets are going to the top into a building. You can also see how another bucket comes down.

As soon as a bucket has left the top building flip the switch and the bucket will stop at the correct spot. Get yourself down to the bucket and jump in.
I hope this helps.

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/25/12 04:20 AM

I have tried your suggestion and no, the bucket just doesn't turn up. I estimate I have spent about 5 hours trying this puzzle and even my husband has tried, no go. I tell you, I am going to crack a bottle of champers when I get this done.
Well, that's it. I'm so over this. Would it be possible to get a saved game for this section. I am so feed up with this I am thinking of binning the game. cheers, Alfoil
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/25/12 05:00 AM

I remember this part of the game well. After trying for hours, I finally decided to simply watch when that bucket leaves the top of the building. I marked each try at a different point of its descent and finally saw the exact point it passed when I needed to get inside. After I noted that exact point, I could get inside any time I tried. it's all about the timing and not a bit easy!

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/25/12 05:51 AM

Thank you. I will give that a try as I really don't want to give up on this game. I just love the graphics etc. cheers, Alfoil
Posted By: Geo

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/25/12 07:08 AM

Hello,
Its easier when you use a different view.Use (I think it is F1) to switch from 3'rd person view to first person view.
Also you may want to run by using both mouse buttons.
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u58kedpWpBY )

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/25/12 09:39 AM

I think as the buckets pass each other one going up and one going down that's when you pull the lever. Like I said before watch the bucket when standing by the lever and stay there after you press it to see if it stops at the bottom. When you practice that and get so you know exactly when to hit it you will be able to get down to the bucket and get in.

If you PM Dadguy he will get back to you. You can send him your saved game and he will do it for you and send you back yours.

Good Luck! You don't want to miss the rest of the game!

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/25/12 11:59 AM

Hi Gerry,Geo, thank you for your imput. I will try F1. I am not sure how to pm Dadguy as I have never done it before. Silly question, as I closed the game down before I had finished the bucket misery, won't that last saved game only be the first part of that section?
I am assuming I just copy and paste that save? cheers, Alfoil.
ps. My husband has spent the last hour trying too. You can't say that you don't get plenty of time with this game. cheers, Alfoil.

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 03/26/12 09:21 AM

Alfoil. You can PM dadguy by going to the top of this page click on "Member List, enter dadguy in search, click on his name and it will bring up his profile. Then click on his name on the left side of screen and you will see a section for sending him a PM. Click on that and send him your message. It may take him a while to respond but he will get back to you and tell you how to send him your Saved Game. Don't Give Up! Good Luck!

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 04/06/12 10:44 PM

Hello again. Would it be possible for anyone to please help me with a saved game for the bucket puzzle. I haven't been able to get anywhere with this for 2 weeks now and haven't had a reply from dadguy yet. all help much appreciated. cheers, Alfoil.

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 04/07/12 12:38 AM

The place to ask for saves is Hints. But I don't think it's possible to transfer saves for Uru.

If you want to watch someone do the bucket puzzle, check this YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sVdCKDgIfU

Around 2:30 into the video he starts talking about the bucket. Practice running back and forth from the switch to the bucket a few times before actually throwing the switch. Make sure you aren't having a problem getting into the bucket. Decide whether it's easier for you to get in using the mouse or using the keyboard.
Posted By: Robert Gault

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 04/07/12 01:18 AM

Actually it makes no difference whether you use a mouse or keyboard. What is critical is first or third person view. It is essentially impossible in third person view to complete this time critical maneuver.
Use the F1 key to switch the viewpoint to first person and make several practice runs with the mouse before doing it for real.

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 04/07/12 02:13 PM

I had no problem using 3rd person and neither did the guy in the YouTube video. So it may depend on how well your brain adjusts to the 3D view. Personally I think it's easier than 1st person view.

I think the main thing is to practice before you throw the switch and do your run, and find out what works best for you.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 04/07/12 02:37 PM

I had no problem in 3rd person view either... not that it didn't take several tries, but it was all about the timing. I did try 1st person and had no luck at all.

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 04/07/12 09:24 PM

I have tried f1 and have found it really hard to make it run smoothly. I am going to stick with 3rd person. Eventually I will get there! Hope 2020 isn't a leap year!! Have watched the YouTube video a few times. Gee he makes it look easy. Thanks you for your input. cheers, Alfoil.
oh: ps
I was given a contact from gameboomers who apparently will solve the puzzle for you if you send your saved game. Am waiting for a reply. Wish me luck.
Posted By: dadguy

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 04/08/12 03:44 AM

Here is what I emailed to alfoil's PM to me:

OK, this is the OFFLINE version of the game, right? There are no saves in the URU game that would allow me to send you a solution with the access to the bucket solved. If it were the online game, I could meet you in the game and accompany you to Teledahn and solve the puzzle with you.

What I can offer is some discussion and advice to help you solve it.

1. Do you understand the goal?

- After starting power using the telescope device and syncronizing with the sun, and pulling the three levers (one doesn't work), the buckets should be ready to run

- When you approach the buckets, the goal is to pull the lever, then run down the short stairs and turn right to get to the stationary bucket and click on it to jump in. You have only about 10-15 seconds to do this. Using 1st Person view is easier for some folks (F1 toggle). ALSO, how you move your avatar is key - I use the mouse only (no keyboard arrows) and it is easier that way. Practice it many times before actually clicking the lever.

- If you fail to get to the bucket before it starts to move, there are several ways to try again. a. Stop the buckets with the lever; but this is difficult because you have to time it so the bucket stops at the dock again. It may take several tries. b. The other way is to leave Teledahn then quit the game. Often when you return the buckets will be at the dock ready to try again. c. If this doesn't work, you can stop power, then restart it again with the telescopes to try to get the buckets by the dock again.

Have you considered trying the free online game? It is the same as the offline hgame but has a few extra goodies. The beauty of it is you can get help on these hard puzzles.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Dadguy

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 04/08/12 04:18 PM

Thank you for posting the suggestions, Dadguy.
Hopefully they can help not only Alfoil, but anyone else having problems at this point in the game.

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 04/08/12 06:05 PM

Huge excitement,YES! have finally solved the bucket puzzle. I would like to thank you all (especially dadguy and jenny 100) so much for all your help. Once watching the YouTube how to do, it all fell into place. Well worth the time it took up as the sense of achievement was such a buzz. I had actually been trying to do it so much harder than I needed too. It was my husband who finally cracked it, so its out with the bottle of bubbly! Again, many many thanks, cheers, Alfoil.
Posted By: dadguy

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 04/09/12 03:03 AM

Yay!!! Have fun!

Dadguy :-)

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 04/09/12 04:41 PM

Glad to hear you got past the trouble spot, Alfoil.
Cyan intended for the game to be played online, and puzzles like the bucket are fairly easy when played by two people, but a lot more difficult when you play them by yourself.

Re: Uru - Ages Beyond Myst - 04/10/12 09:34 AM

Fantastic alfoil! Glad you are moving on! It is such a beautiful game! wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community