GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Forever Worlds #1186765
05/20/19 06:00 PM
05/20/19 06:00 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I played this game years ago without any glitches or problems even though I know that many people had trouble playing the game. I would like to replay it and have installed it in my XP but am already having problems.

To look around you have to hold the left mouse button down. Twice now the game has froze up in the "look" mode. The first time I was able to right click and save and that unlocked the cursor. The second time though I could not click anything. After numerous attempts I was finally able to access my task manager to end the task. Any thoughts on this?

Also, is there any other way to get out of a froze up game? I always try Control/Alt/Delete and also the Windows key, sometimes the Windows key with something else, but is there any other way such as one of the "F" keys or some other combination of keys? This is the computer with the broken start button that is hard to hit lightly to restart if I cannot get to task manager.

Thanks.

Re: Forever Worlds [Re: oldbroad] #1186780
05/20/19 08:23 PM
05/20/19 08:23 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by oldbroad
Twice now the game has froze up in the "look" mode. The first time I was able to right click and save and that unlocked the cursor. The second time though I could not click anything. After numerous attempts I was finally able to access my task manager to end the task. Any thoughts on this?

I think you're doing as well as possible.

Also, is there any other way to get out of a froze up game? I always try Control/Alt/Delete and also the Windows key, sometimes the Windows key with something else, but is there any other way such as one of the "F" keys or some other combination of keys?

Alt-F4 will close programs, including games, as long as they aren't frozen too hard and aren't designed to block Alt-F4

Re: Forever Worlds [Re: oldbroad] #1186784
05/20/19 09:07 PM
05/20/19 09:07 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Thank you Jenny. I'll try that Alt-F4 if I need to, to see if it works.

Re: Forever Worlds [Re: oldbroad] #1186846
05/22/19 12:08 AM
05/22/19 12:08 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Now the saved games are starting to act up. After a freeze up when I tried to load my last save, it wouldn't load but the prior one did. Then it happened again where the last save wouldn't load but the prior one also wouldn't load. Then some "Game Root" message popped up about not being able to find the saves or something. I started writing it down but only got as far as "Game Root". Leaving it alone for now but will probably give it another try tomorrow.

It's not like I don't have a thousand other games to play but...

Jenny, I did have to use that Alt-F4 one time and it worked fine!

Re: Forever Worlds [Re: oldbroad] #1186866
05/22/19 11:18 AM
05/22/19 11:18 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I think "Game Root" is referring to the location of the game folder.
Maybe it's looking for the saves in the game folder instead of in My Documents where XP tends to put them.
Or maybe it's just messing up.

I played this game years ago without any glitches or problems even though I know that many people had trouble playing the game.

Do you remember whether you played the game in XP the first time you played it?
The installation on Windows 98 was very fussy, and you had to install things like Media Player 9 in a certain order, but once installed it was reported as being more stable on Windows 98 than on XP (as long as you had a 128 MB or more video card, which was not that common for adventure gamers at the time).

I actually have some old saves from this game, but they're from playing on Windows 98.
I have a note saying:
"Folder for saves is GameData folder that is inside Forever Worlds folder. "

So that might not work for XP.

Re: Forever Worlds [Re: oldbroad] #1186869
05/22/19 12:17 PM
05/22/19 12:17 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Doing a search on GameBoomers led me to this thread. The poster does not say what OS the game has been installed on, though.

Re: Forever Worlds [Re: Marian] #1186872
05/22/19 12:33 PM
05/22/19 12:33 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by Marian
Doing a search on GameBoomers led me to this thread. The poster does not say what OS the game has been installed on, though.

Thread from 2004 when the game came out. Thanks for finding it, Marian.

I didn't remember that problem with the saves not working halfway through the game.

I wonder if the problem is with the saves or with the game itself getting corrupted.
If the problem is with the game rather than the saves, would a reinstall of the game fix the save problem? If you try it, let us know how it works out.

I miss Inferno. frown

Re: Forever Worlds [Re: oldbroad] #1186881
05/22/19 03:32 PM
05/22/19 03:32 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
My games list doesn't show what computer I played it in but I'm almost certain it was my XP, not my 98. That XP ran everything. It was the same one you had Jenny, the Dell Dimensions with the same video card.

Marian, thanks for that old thread which mentions Mr. Lipid. I had actually read his review a few days ago.

http://tap-repeatedly.com/dev/2003/02/forever-worlds-a-review-and-a-fool%C2%B4s-errands/

I haven't gone back in it yet today to see what happens.

I'm definitely thinking XP after reading this. I knew I remembered posting something about this game before.

https://www.gameboomers.com/forum/u...despite-your-better-judgement#Post495159

Last edited by oldbroad; 05/22/19 03:55 PM.
Re: Forever Worlds [Re: oldbroad] #1186980
05/23/19 10:31 PM
05/23/19 10:31 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Yesterday I ended up restarting the game which wasn't too bad since I knew what I had to do. When I got stuck and started freezing up again I quit for the night. My XP computer seems to be acting up a bit so today I decided to just play the game with the walkthrough and I guess that was a good thing because I saw that I had missed picking up an item and had to replay part of the game again just to make sure I wouldn't have a problem later. So, I'm just going to finish the game using the walkthrough to avoid unnecessary moves and more wear and tear on the computer.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Lex, Darlene, dianne, hagatha, Urban Worrier), 491 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users