GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: Jenny100] #302528
03/30/08 03:11 PM
03/30/08 03:11 PM
Ottawa, Canada
Mordack Offline
Settled Boomer
Mordack  Offline
Settled Boomer

Ottawa, Canada
Hi guy's, I happen to be at my sister's PC so I though I'd chime in. Does anyone remember that DarkFall had a Nigel Danvers? Is he the same? Did anyone notice the up-and-coming-game in the comic book? Could the young boy photographer be Timothy Pike? Finally, how should I put this, is Rhys Branwen attracked to the same sex?

These are my quick questons.

Mordack

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: Mordack] #302611
03/30/08 05:07 PM
03/30/08 05:07 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
I don't remember a Nigel Danvers from Dark Fall, although several have mentioned this - good memory! It's more likely just a nod to those who have played the Dark Fall games rather than characters crossing from one game to another. But I could be wrong. Yes, I think Rhys makes it quite plain that he's attracted to Nigel. wink

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: Rushes] #302685
03/30/08 07:22 PM
03/30/08 07:22 PM
Colorado
B
birddog Offline
Settled Boomer
birddog  Offline
Settled Boomer
B

Colorado
I remember Nigel Danvers and Poly White from Darkfall The Journal. They were paranormal students and the year was 2002.
Now if Nigel was recruited in 1978 by Hadden Industries like it says in the opening of The Lost Crown, he must have been recruited at birth! And he was recommended by Poly White. What do I have wrong?
Seagul - if the package Nigel received in TLC was April 1978 -and he was recruited Nov 11, 1978, I am really confused. Besides, Lucy Reubans Student card said good from Sep 7, 2007 through Jun 21, 2010.

Last edited by birddog; 03/31/08 07:01 PM.
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: birddog] #303059
03/31/08 01:33 PM
03/31/08 01:33 PM
Germany
seagul Offline OP
Settled Boomer
seagul  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Germany
The package from Mr. Hadden has written April 1978 on it. I remember an Interview in which Jonathan Boakes told The Lost Crown is a Prequel to Dark Fall - but I can' t remember the link (so I may be wrong).
The events of Dark Fall 2 which involve Polly take place in 2004. Polly is involved, but not Nigel.
Some other characters are mentioned: I remember a Charakter named Spivey. - I should replay the game.
About the comic: I heard Jonathan Boakes plans to make Dark Fall 3 now! Can't wait to hold it in my hands. Wheres a timemachine, when you need one???? hardwall

Last edited by seagul; 03/31/08 01:47 PM.
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: seagul] #303068
03/31/08 01:58 PM
03/31/08 01:58 PM
stoke on trent England
dragonuk44 Offline
Addicted Boomer
dragonuk44  Offline
Addicted Boomer

stoke on trent England
well that bar lady
Click to reveal..
did have the keys to the cottage .She could have been the one .I think the bar lady may have been the cat napper as her cat did nt go missing and as was said earlier why did she throw the doll in the fire .Did the doll have some sort of power

s wheeldon
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: Mordack] #303099
03/31/08 02:41 PM
03/31/08 02:41 PM
Germany
seagul Offline OP
Settled Boomer
seagul  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Germany
Originally Posted By: Mordack
Could the young boy photographer be Timothy Pike? Finally, how should I put this, is Rhys Branwen attracked to the same sex?
Mordack

The young photographer is "young Oliver". The Saxton Snappers flyer speaks of him as the winner of the contest since years.

I didn' t remarke anything unusuall about Rhys Branwens behaviour. Could you tell me what he exactls does or says?

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: dragonuk44] #303135
03/31/08 03:24 PM
03/31/08 03:24 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: dragonuk44
well that bar lady
Click to reveal..
did have the keys to the cottage .She could have been the one .I think the bar lady may have been the cat napper as her cat did nt go missing and as was said earlier why did she throw the doll in the fire .Did the doll have some sort of power

Click to reveal..
I have a hard time believing that a cat owner would skin and torture other peoples' cats. Besides, where is her motivation? We didn't see any sign of her being under the Agers' influence.

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: Jenny100] #303705
04/01/08 02:40 PM
04/01/08 02:40 PM
PA, USA
M
misa Offline
Addicted Boomer
misa  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

PA, USA
Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Click to reveal..
I have a hard time believing that a cat owner would skin and torture other peoples' cats. Besides, where is her motivation? We didn't see any sign of her being under the Agers' influence.

Click to reveal..
Agreed. Morgan Mankle, the bar owner, really didn't have much of a role or history in the game (compared to other characters) for her to have been the catnapper/torturer and creator of the nightmare room.

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: misa] #303863
04/01/08 07:49 PM
04/01/08 07:49 PM
Colorado
B
birddog Offline
Settled Boomer
birddog  Offline
Settled Boomer
B

Colorado
Click to reveal..
Nigel is 30 in TLC: when he is talking to the Vicar of Northfield Parish and the Vicar talks about himself being a newcomer, only been there 30 years, Nigel states "I am 30". I assummed the year in TLC was between Sep 7 2007 and Jun 21, 2010 because that is the effective date of Lucy's student card. So if he was recruited by Hadden in 1978, was a paranormal student (along with Polly White) in Darkfall The Journal in 2002 and 30 years old in TLC, he had to have been recruited at birth! I really wish Jonathan Boakes could clear this up.

Last edited by birddog; 04/01/08 07:50 PM.
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: birddog] #303913
04/01/08 09:38 PM
04/01/08 09:38 PM
PA, USA
M
misa Offline
Addicted Boomer
misa  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

PA, USA
birddog:

Click to reveal..
Great observation. I forgot about that conversation with the vicar. The year in TLC should be 2008 since that is also when Lucy is "recruited" by Hadden.

Very very curious... perhaps he was recruited at birth. Could Nigel be "the experiment"? After all, he did break into the Hadden computers to view Project Dark Fall.

Maybe there will be a sequel for us to ponder Nigel's situation even further.

ETA: If Jonatham does plan on further games with Nigel and the mystery surrounding him and Hadden, then I think I don't want an explanation about his age, what Hadden does either. It would spoil it for future storytelling. smile

Last edited by misa; 04/01/08 10:19 PM.
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: misa] #304020
04/02/08 06:03 AM
04/02/08 06:03 AM
cornwall england
old lady Offline
Settled Boomer
old lady  Offline
Settled Boomer

cornwall england
Click to reveal..
Could this Nigel Denvers be the son of the previous Nigel duh

Has any one seen any little gray cells around as I think I've lost some? Reward for finder.
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: misa] #304217
04/02/08 12:03 PM
04/02/08 12:03 PM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Originally Posted By: misa
birddog:

Click to reveal..
Very very curious... perhaps he was recruited at birth. Could Nigel be "the experiment"?

I think you may have got it, misa! praise That makes absolute sense to me. I've been reading this thread with fascination; I certainly hadn't considered half the theories that have been raised so far. thumbsup

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: Rushes] #304488
04/02/08 07:04 PM
04/02/08 07:04 PM
Dublin, Ireland
metzomagic Offline
Settled Boomer
metzomagic  Offline
Settled Boomer

Dublin, Ireland
Folks, hi,

I've been dying to take a peek at this thread for days now, but had to finish my review of The Lost Crown first. I make it a rule never to read other reviews, or look at plot spoilers, before I've completed my own review. I feel it could adversely skew my personal perception of the game... anyway, the review is done and dusted now:

Quandary review of The Lost Crown

I decided not to bother putting my observations in spoiler tags, as this whole thread is one big spoiler anyway.

So... I think Ivinia is probably the closest to figuring out what is really going down here. Well spotted, Ivinia praise I now realise that the 'tears' in the scenes at the two churches are intentional (when I noticed the first one at Northfield, I thought it was a glitch!), and also the rust-coloured blots in the scene at the pier next to the cottage (like you see on old negatives that have been damaged) after Nigel finds the crown.

And old photos are black and white, right? Just like the game itself yes Also, I just noticed when perusing my screenshots that the train Nigel rode into town on is called 'Sleep Walker'. Yes, there are these subtle hints everywhere, it seems.

I had noticed when writing my walkthrough:

http://www.spyglassguides.com/

that the date on the crate shipped by Hadden was 'April 1978'. Interestingly, that's still 25 years after Molina committed suicide. I'm still trying to figure out which bits of the game (if any) took place in modern times and which in the past...

Regards,
MetzO'Magic

Now playing:
Paradise Killer

Running very old games on Windows 10? Then visit Steve's Legacy Games Corner!
Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: metzomagic] #304593
04/02/08 09:40 PM
04/02/08 09:40 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Can anyone think of a reason for Nigel's peculiar "halting" speech?
Click to reveal..
Was the Nigel in the game "real?"
Or was he just a computer copy (or avatar) of the "real" one? (the "real" one being the one in Dark Fall). If the gameworld was recreated from photographs, maybe the Nigel in the game was simply an AI programmed to resemble the real Nigel. The whole game could be taking place inside one of Haddon's computers -- a simulation of what might happen if Nigel actually visited Saxton.

If this were the case, it might be a reason why Nigel's manner of speaking resembles certain voice menus, which can react to your input but which usually have choppy speech (and sometimes even speech recorded by different microphones). For example when you phone up the electric company about a power outage, and it reads back from pieces of recorded messages so you can verify your phone number where you're located. Or when you phone up for the correct time, the voice that says "The time is..." is separately recorded from the snippet that says "ten" which is separately recorded from the snippet that says "forty."

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: Jenny100] #304596
04/02/08 09:55 PM
04/02/08 09:55 PM
PA, USA
M
misa Offline
Addicted Boomer
misa  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

PA, USA
Jenny:

Click to reveal..
Yes, that's what I thought of too about his speech pattern after the discussion in the other Lost Crown thread. But was Nigel computer-generated or is he real. And if real, has he always been manipulated by Hadden? Because if he wasn't real why would he break into the computers to view the Project Dark Fall files?

This discussion is so fascinating. smile I hope that Jonathan knows how much interest that his game has caused in this community -- pondering the storyline after the game is long over.

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: misa] #304624
04/02/08 11:08 PM
04/02/08 11:08 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: misa
Jenny:
Click to reveal..
Yes, that's what I thought of too about his speech pattern after the discussion in the other Lost Crown thread. But was Nigel computer-generated or is he real. And if real, has he always been manipulated by Hadden? Because if he wasn't real why would he break into the computers to view the Project Dark Fall files?

Click to reveal..
I think Nigel is real in Dark Fall. But I think the Nigel we see in Lost Crown may be only a computer simulation that was based on Nigel. The Haddon Industries programmer fed the computer all the information he knew about the real Nigel (Nigel's personality, the type of person he was, what choices he'd make in certain situations, etc). And the computer generated this Nigel avatar. The avatar is placed in the scenario where he believe's he's stolen something from Haddon Industries and has to go into hiding in the remote village of Saxton. As far as the Nigel avatar knows, he is Nigel and he's on the run. And that's what you believe because you're playing from the avatar's point of view.

Alternatively, the theft did take place -- but only in the virtual world created by Haddon Industries. The items that were "stolen" were virtual objects in a virtual representation of Haddon Industries. The only "real" person you saw in the game may have been Mr. Haddon (who programmed the whole situation to see how it would play out).

It's possible that the avatar did something unexpected when it stole the pictures and printouts. Or maybe Mr. Haddon put the idea in its head. The two people who were talking to Mr. Haddon in the opening cut scene may or may not have been part of the simulation.

The Nigel who was a graduate student in Dark Fall doesn't necessarily have to have joined Haddon in 1978. Nor was the real Nigel necessarily on the run from Haddon Industries at any time.

Of course it's all very convoluted because we're playing a game on our computers -- a game in which we're playing as a character in another character's (Haddon's) game/simulation.

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: Jenny100] #305671
04/04/08 05:17 PM
04/04/08 05:17 PM
Germany
seagul Offline OP
Settled Boomer
seagul  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Germany
At http://www.thelostcrown.co.uk/ is written:
Beneath her outward, jovial, existence Lucy feels damaged by an event in her past. Her adventures with Nigel will bring that secret to the surface, exposing Lucy to know far more than she has let on.
I missed this totally in the game. I only remember Lucy talking about an scary event she had in harbour cottage when she was young. What is the text passage refearing at?

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: seagul] #305790
04/04/08 08:38 PM
04/04/08 08:38 PM
PA, USA
M
misa Offline
Addicted Boomer
misa  Offline
Addicted Boomer
M

PA, USA
Did anyone see the website they created for Hadden Industries?

http://www.haddenindustries.co.uk/

Click to reveal..
"Looking further than the here and now, Hadden strive to explore what lies ahead, before and beyond...." Mr. Hadden.

Hmmm...

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: misa] #305843
04/04/08 11:37 PM
04/04/08 11:37 PM
Colorado
B
birddog Offline
Settled Boomer
birddog  Offline
Settled Boomer
B

Colorado
Click to reveal..
When Nigel hacked into Lab D files, he downloaded two pictures. And it talked about a chasm. What if Nigel went through the chasm and everything he is experincing in Saxton is through that chasm. Also - everyone seems to know his name. Nanny know said he had been expected for sometime.

Re: Thoughts about the Story of The Lost Crown – beware of huge spoilers! [Re: birddog] #305895
04/05/08 05:32 AM
04/05/08 05:32 AM
Germany
seagul Offline OP
Settled Boomer
seagul  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Germany
It was my first thought, too,
Click to reveal..
that Nigel went through that chasm. But Ivinia had a much better idea.
Quote:

In my mind while playing I was thinking that it was all an experiment by the Hadden corporation and that you really weren't "there". I figured with all of his equipment he had, it was possible to transport an individual into a photograph and live in it's world. Hence the tears in some screens and the rust in the lower left corner of the screen next to Nigels place when it was raining. Going back into those photos lets you go back into that time period and explore. …
Based on when the photos were taken, it could explain a lot of the different time periods.

Seems a very good explanation to me, it explains the the time anomalies and the black-and-white-grafik of the game.

The chasm
Click to reveal..
is the connection between two worlds: the normal every day world and the world of the Fenlaria (who can only walk at night and in the shadow – like ghosts). Only the crown (as stated in The Legend of Grindle and Ganwolf) holds the Fenlaria back in their world. Without the magic of the crown, the world will turn black and the Fenlaria are
Quote:
able to walk abroad.

In the Legend of Grindle and Ganwolf,
Click to reveal..

Grindle offered the thief of the crown a chance to repent. But he refused. Nigel, too, got this chance. He took this opportunity. So he survived the stealing of the crown.
The last sentences of the Legend:
Quote:
A selection of folk were chosen, to protect the crown through time and change.
We see this folk at the end of the game: they surround Nigel, when he restores the crown. It took me a while to notice that no Ager brother is amongst them. wink

The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers #306414
04/06/08 06:41 AM
04/06/08 06:41 AM
Sumrall, MS
raylinstephens Offline
Addicted Boomer
raylinstephens  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sumrall, MS
I cannot locate the thread - looked through 7 pages - where people were deciding about what the ending meant. But my opinion is different from the one that suggested this all took place in a laboratory. I also don't agree that it is all a computer generated story.

I might be wrong - frequently am - but I believe this all took place in the present but that Nigel somehow was visiting in the past to correct a problem in Saxton.
Click to reveal..
I think that at the end Lucy was reviving him on the beach after he completed all the necessary tasks using the Hadden Industry tools - he released a lot of unhappy spirits from their haunts.

It also looks to me like another game is forthcoming with Lucy and Nigel solving the haunts of another location happydance using the mysterious Hadden Industry tools.

Thank you Jonathan for another wonderful experience - well worth the wait! I liked the sounds when you found or completed another task too!

wave Linda

**thanks for the 'spoiler edit' MaG. I wasn't thinking slapforehead

Last edited by raylinstephens; 04/06/08 09:22 AM.

So many games, so little time.
Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: raylinstephens] #306552
04/06/08 12:09 PM
04/06/08 12:09 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
I've only just finished the game & couldn't wait to read through this thread! A lot of interesting ideas & theories but I'm still reeling back!. I'm curious about just one little detail of the game
Click to reveal..
In Ulcombe Church next to where the mouse trap is, you can close in on a carved figure at the end of the pews & use something on it - the camera etc etc didn't work & I was expecting to have to go back to it & do something! I never did duh

Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: chrissie] #306558
04/06/08 12:17 PM
04/06/08 12:17 PM
cornwall england
old lady Offline
Settled Boomer
old lady  Offline
Settled Boomer

cornwall england
Could it be that the photo compertition was now closed so no point in taking photos?????????? wave

Has any one seen any little gray cells around as I think I've lost some? Reward for finder.
Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: old lady] #306575
04/06/08 12:57 PM
04/06/08 12:57 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi old lady, nice theory but I don't think the photo competition was closed at that point. smile

EDIT: Went back to a saved game & was able to take photo - didn't seem to be significant for anything else so I think you're right! smile

Last edited by chrissie; 04/06/08 01:13 PM. Reason: Checked
Re: The Lost Crown ending - Possible spoilers [Re: chrissie] #306590
04/06/08 01:29 PM
04/06/08 01:29 PM
qadventuregames Offline
Settled Boomer
qadventuregames  Offline
Settled Boomer

Hi Fellow Boomers,

I just finshed the game and it was fabulous!! praise

This is a wonderful thread. Keep your great ideas coming.

I must replay the game, with your ideas in mind.

"Q"

You do not get Harmony, if you all sing the same note.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (PierreLombardo, Draclvr, oldbroad, Mikael), 178 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users