GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: chrissie] #344444
06/14/08 07:48 AM
06/14/08 07:48 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
In these days of so much mail in our email inboxes, it can be annoying to receive unwanted mail. (Okay, it's also annoying to receive unwanted snail mail.)

I appreciate it when companies allow me to opt out of receiving newsletters/updates at the time of purchase by asking if I want to receive them, and unless I check a box, I don't ever receive anything.

Was there a way to opt out of receiving the newsletter/updates for Diamonds in the Rough when people purchased the game?

Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: Becky] #344458
06/14/08 08:26 AM
06/14/08 08:26 AM
Athens, Greece
alkis21 Offline
Settled Boomer
alkis21  Offline
Settled Boomer

Athens, Greece
It seems that I still have a lot to learn regarding pleasing people... and here I was thinking that all I had to do was to make a good game. frown

Atropos Studios
Nothing adventured, nothing gained
Visit our web site to order Diamonds in the Rough
Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: alkis21] #344462
06/14/08 08:33 AM
06/14/08 08:33 AM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
The email was send to me also and at the end of it it says that if i don't want to receive any more i can send an email to Atropos Studios and they are apologize for the disturbance. That is OK by me smile

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: Volkana] #344475
06/14/08 08:58 AM
06/14/08 08:58 AM
stoke on trent England
dragonuk44 Offline
Addicted Boomer
dragonuk44  Offline
Addicted Boomer

stoke on trent England
me to I think it is good that they think about the every day player .

s wheeldon
Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: dragonuk44] #344525
06/14/08 10:01 AM
06/14/08 10:01 AM
Piraeus/Greece
Taurnil Offline
Settled Boomer
Taurnil  Offline
Settled Boomer

Piraeus/Greece
I agree with you dragonuk44. I think also that it is a good idea from Alkis to send us e-mails about his site and forthcoming adventures from Atropos Studios. I thank you Alkis!

bravo

....set the controls for the heart of the sun....
Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: Taurnil] #344550
06/14/08 10:28 AM
06/14/08 10:28 AM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
Count me among those who also received the email and was happy to get it. I like getting any news from Alkis and Atropos Studios. I totally enjoyed all my experiences with Diamonds In The Rough (the game and the help) and am looking forward to the next game whenever it happens.

To love is to be happy with!
Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: sierramindy] #344759
06/14/08 05:40 PM
06/14/08 05:40 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

I too have had "after sales" emails sent to me by companies from whom I have bought games, some in the form of official newsletters and some not ....

Usually I am pleased to read the information they carry but if not, I just write and tell them to cross me off their list !!

Soon sorted - so not too big a deal ??

Cheers.

Mad grin

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: Mad] #344843
06/14/08 07:53 PM
06/14/08 07:53 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Hi,Mystic Falls

I have not ordered the game yet...But, There is no reason to worry...I get e:mails all the time from business I order from on the Internet..I just opt out to stop the e:mails...

Atropos Studios is a reputable company...Not to worry.. wave

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: chrissie] #345212
06/15/08 01:47 PM
06/15/08 01:47 PM
land gal just wanna have fun
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I never purchased the game because of fear of no lock on the security on my browser. Just can't bring myself to order online without seeing that lock for security sake. However I did fill out some info before backing out and that info was kept it appears. This concerns me because if they have that much they can also have my cc info even though I backed out without purchasing. Now I am getting email from the company proving they have my info stored. Strangest thing I ever saw online.

Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: Sherryah] #345254
06/15/08 02:37 PM
06/15/08 02:37 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Seriously now, I do not understand the commotion all because of a newsletter. I must get 15 different newsletters from developers and publishers that I either remember signing up for or have no idea why I am on their list. All of them come with opt out instructions and I also know where the delete button is if I am not in mood at the moment. duh No big deal.

Sherryah, as has been stated here already, the Credit card is separate from the rest. You are on the newsletter list because you filled out part of the process but you cancelled on the CC part.

Please lets not overreact on a harmless act. If anyone got the newsletter that does not want it, please let Atropis Studio know directly.

Ana

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #345346
06/15/08 05:30 PM
06/15/08 05:30 PM
Athens, Greece
alkis21 Offline
Settled Boomer
alkis21  Offline
Settled Boomer

Athens, Greece
Once again, we don't have ANYONE's credit card info. You do not enter your CC details until you're in the Paypal web site, which IS secure. I do not appreciate being accused of collecting private information so that I can charge people's credit cards and transfer the money to a Swiss account.

Can someone kindly explain to me why some people find complaining in a public web site so much more rewarding than simply sending an e-mail to us? All you have to do is ask and you'll never hear from us again.

I'm going to be honest with you all and say that I'm currently seriously discussing the possibility of making DITR my last game with my wife. This is getting too emotionally draining for me to handle. The other day I found a central Europan web site (Google translate helped me there) where people were wondering what my parents did to me when I was a child that I ended up writing these stories. Money is no good if you spend it on therapy. I started AS because I thought it would be fun and right now I'm not enjoying myself at all. You're probably thinking "what do we care?" and you might be right. Anyway... Adventure games existed long before me and they will continue to exist when I'm gone, and I'm sure 2 years from now nobody will remember me and I will get back to enjoying my anonymity.

EDIT: I just read this again and realized I'm not being fair. I don't want to sound ungrateful to those of you who bought the game, or didn't buy it but gave me moral support which is equally valuable to me. I just need to get these things out of my chest because I'm reaching my limit.

Last edited by alkis21; 06/15/08 05:34 PM. Reason: Clarifications

Atropos Studios
Nothing adventured, nothing gained
Visit our web site to order Diamonds in the Rough
Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: alkis21] #345365
06/15/08 06:01 PM
06/15/08 06:01 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi Alkis smile

I am so sorry that you have felt the need to write what you have.

You have been very responsive to peoples' requests regarding security matters and I for one appreciate that very much.
And I'm absolutely sure the majority of people are with you and not against you in this regard.

So please don't let one complaining faction deter you from creating more of your games. Your talents are too precious to us.

Cheers.

Mad thumbsup

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: Mad] #345528
06/16/08 03:08 AM
06/16/08 03:08 AM
Sherryah Offline
Addicted Boomer
Sherryah  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thanks for explaining Akis in fairness you never charged my cc card and just relieved any trepidations. Also in your defense, you made a good game from what I saw in the demo, and read in reviews. Your active inmagiation made it so. Keep up the great work!

Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: Sherryah] #345538
06/16/08 04:54 AM
06/16/08 04:54 AM
L
LindaMarion Offline OP
Settled Boomer
LindaMarion  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
L

dont let 1 or 2 minor comments depress you Alkis.their even not criticisms of the game
dont give up.we want more from you please please please
you could not get much better review than this with a very most top score
Quote:
Little did I realize that my first encounter with beta testing would lead me to experience one of the finest, most memorable adventure games I've ever played. -------------------------------------------
Atropos Studios has to be enthusiastically commended on its first release. Diamonds in the Rough is one of the finest adventure games of the last few years and clearly the best independently developed adventure I've ever had the pleasure of playing.------------------------------------
Alkis Polyrakis, president of Atropos Studios and primary author/creator of Diamonds in the Rough, has penned an involving, emotional, thrilling story accompanied by an inventive game and puzzle engine. It's a brave tale, full of surprises right to the end. You won't soon forget this experience.

Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: Sherryah] #345540
06/16/08 05:04 AM
06/16/08 05:04 AM
Cleveland, OH
Ivinia Offline
Settled Boomer
Ivinia  Offline
Settled Boomer

Cleveland, OH
Hey Alkis, I'm getting a slight kick out of these latest posts. smile

For the curious:

Just about every game you buy from an indie takes you to another secured site that handles the transaction. We are just too small to have our own accounting department and can't afford building and maintaining a massive secure financial network.

Therefore, we let places like RegNow, PayPal, BMT Micro, Plimus and a few others handle that for us. They get a percentage of the sale. That comes out of the developers share, not an additional charge on the customer side - it's built into the price of the game. You might pay us $20 for a game, but we really only see a part of that after the transaction fee is paid.

We never even see anyone's Credit Card numbers - that is handled by whichever company it is we chose to handle the financial transactions (like PayPal). The only thing we see is the item you purchased, the number of copies purchased, along with your name and address. If we didn't see that, then how could we ship you your game?

Likewise we keep that information on hand in the event that someone is inquiring about not receiving their shipment (or in the case of downloads their harddrive crashed and they need a new copy). If we didn't, then ANYONE could con us saying they never received their game and we would have no way of knowing whether they are really a customer or some scammer.

For an interesting twist, around Halloween when we released 3 new games, I emailed our previous customers to give them free copies of two of the new games. Since Rune Rescue could now be purchased as part of a bundle for a nice savings, I didn't think it was fair for my previous customers to not be able to take advantage of that. So I tried to give them the sweetest deal of all by giving them two of the new games for free as a way of saying thanks for supporting us when we were starting out. An interesting thing happened. A full 70% of the emails came back as undeliverable because those customers had used temporary email addresses when they ordered. Email addresses which no longer existed - and the orders were less than a year old!

I understand people don't want to be bothered. I hate spam and junk mail too. We talk about making purchases from reputable sources. These forums are great in letting people know who is who out there. Many people can let you know who you can trust.

@Alkis - It's a fact of life and something you have to accept. Unless you are a big fish (pun intended) or have been boxed and sitting on a store shelf, there are always going to be people who will view you with suspicion and/or not buy your game until someone with a more familiar name is selling it. Unfortunately in those cases you will only see a slight sliver of money from the sale while those while those with the familiar name will pocket the biggest chunk - that's just the way it is. You have to crawl through the mud until you establish a reputation. One or two games is not going to give you that reputation. Forum regulars might know who you are, but most people don't. That's not their fault - it's just something you have to accept and it comes with the territory. No one is right or wrong. It's just the way it is. Never assume that because you posted something on the forum that everyone has read it.

As far as the other stuff goes with reading that Central European site, I'd be laughing. If you meant to disturb in your game to the point where people are questioning the mind that came up with it, then you achieved your goal! Heck, I'm still laughing over reading through 9 straight pages of negative comments over my trailer from action gamers saying how 'boring' it looked. Ummm, errrr...ehhhh...Of course that wasn't my goal, but it was still pretty funny. lol

Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: Ivinia] #345658
06/16/08 09:56 AM
06/16/08 09:56 AM
Greece
Volkana Offline
Addicted Boomer
Volkana  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Greece
Alkis i'm sure you are not the only one hearing bad comments about your work. There is good comments and bad comments. It happens to anyone who decides to release his work. You might not used to this kind of critisism but this is part of the game. The more your work is known the more comments you will hear. Don't let this comment affect your work. You create something really wonderful and we all anticipate for your next work. Don't give up. Do this for the ones they love you and let the others face their own problems. I'm sure i'm not the only one in this site who shares these thoughts... smile

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: alkis21] #345830
06/16/08 02:44 PM
06/16/08 02:44 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Hi alkis, I'm so sorry to read that you are considering not making anymore games! That would be a complete waste of your talent & a great loss to the AG community!

You've made a very good & thoughtful game which reflects an artistic, caring & sensitive mind. Unfortunately this mind does make you prone to see things out of perspective & take too much to heart!

I don't know you personally, but I do care if all the 'negative'
comments are affecting you emotionally.

Sometimes people come across as criticising when they are just trying to tell you their feelings perhaps in a way that comes across negatively e.g the unsecure site for handing over some details. This is not personal towards you - they are genuinely concerned about unwanted 3rd parties intercepting this info & would feel the same way about any unsecured site asking for the same even if doesn't include credit card details.

As for the newsletter you sent, I agree that there really is no need to complain publicly & I think that most other people who posted here probably agree.

As for people questioning your upbringing, it must be infuriating to read these ignorant attitudes but you've got to see them as just that - they don't know you!

If you read Ivinia's post, hope that his comments help & maybe you need a holiday! smile Please don't give up!

Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: LindaMarion] #345842
06/16/08 03:20 PM
06/16/08 03:20 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Alkis, I totally understand how you feel, and I'm glad you were able to get some of it off your chest. It's an unfortunate fact of life that, as a whole, whether a game developer or an employee working for a company, one tends to hear more frequently about what you have done wrong rather than what you have done right. Why this seems to be an intrinsic part of the human mind, I leave it up to wiser minds than my own to determine.

I came across a wonderful book a few years ago called, "The Experts Speak," which was full of things that had been said to people who were following their dreams. One was said to Marilyn Monroe, who was told that she would never make it in films and should consider being a secretary; one was a casting agent who told Clint Eastwood that he would never get hired because his Adam's Apple was too large, and yet another told The Beatles that they ought to forget getting a recording contract because a bunch of guys with guitars was on its way out. wink

So, follow your dreams, and don't let the naysayers get you down. I am enjoying Diamonds in the Rough very much. wave

Re: Diamonds in the rough - good or not? [Re: Marian] #345849
06/16/08 03:28 PM
06/16/08 03:28 PM
Isle of Man
gremlin Offline
Addicted Boomer
gremlin  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Isle of Man
Whilst I was playing DitR for my review (I was about half way through), I made the following comment to a certain Medieval Moderator (who's also my editor):

Quote:
If I were a publishing house, or a game development house in search of an adventure designer, I'd be seriously looking to hire Alkis Polyrakis.

... and I hadn't even reached the twists & turns at the end of the story yet!

Don't worry, Alkis, there will always be people who don't 'get' your work. Please remember that there are many others who do!

Gremlin
(former game developer/designer)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 630 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users