GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
New games not as good as old #351946
06/27/08 11:41 AM
06/27/08 11:41 AM
DELAWARE
R
REDCELL Offline OP
Shy Boomer
REDCELL  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
R

DELAWARE
I really miss the games like King Quest and Police Quest. It seems like the new games are not as well put together. It almost seems like they are put together by amateurs. I have played the Myst series and the Capri games. I also liked Gabriel Knight. Is there going to be another Gabriel Knight? What is new on the horizon that is a really good game and takes a while to play.

Eileen
Re: New games not as good as old [Re: REDCELL] #351952
06/27/08 11:46 AM
06/27/08 11:46 AM
UK
Rushes Offline
True Blue Boomer
Rushes  Offline
True Blue Boomer

UK
Hi Redcell,

Have you played either Culpa Innata or The Lost Crown? Both games have strong, immersive storylines, good puzzles, and long gameplay (30+ hrs).

"Bleat, Watson -- unmitigated bleat!" ~ Sherlock Holmes
Re: New games not as good as old [Re: REDCELL] #351956
06/27/08 12:00 PM
06/27/08 12:00 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: REDCELL
I really miss the games like King Quest and Police Quest. It seems like the new games are not as well put together.

How long has it been since you played the original King's Quest? Especially the first one. I might agree that there are some older games that haven't been matched by newer ones, but I wouldn't go back as far as King's Quest, unless you're talking about the later ones.

Quote:
It almost seems like they are put together by amateurs. I have played the Myst series and the Capri games.

Are you saying you liked these games or that you didn't?

Quote:
I also liked Gabriel Knight. Is there going to be another Gabriel Knight?

No. Sierra owns the copyright and is content to sit on it. So Jane Jensen can't make another Gabriel Knight game.

Quote:
What is new on the horizon that is a really good game and takes a while to play.

Jane Jensen's next game will be called Gray Matter. Whether it will be as good as her Gabriel Knight games I don't know.

If you liked the old LucasArts games, perhaps you'd enjoy Jack Keane or the Sam & Max series or the upcoming Vampyre Story.

Re: New games not as good as old [Re: Jenny100] #351960
06/27/08 12:14 PM
06/27/08 12:14 PM
DELAWARE
R
REDCELL Offline OP
Shy Boomer
REDCELL  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
R

DELAWARE
I played the King's Quest and Police Quest series when they first came out. Probably about 15 years ago. I liked the Capri games and Gabriel Knight. I also enjoyed the Myst Series. I did not care for Jack Keane. Never played Sam & Max. I will look forward to the upcoming Vampyre Story. I am now playing Belief and Betrayal.

Eileen
Re: New games not as good as old [Re: REDCELL] #351963
06/27/08 12:19 PM
06/27/08 12:19 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I'm curious about why you didn't like Jack Keane.
Do you like Belief and Betrayal?

Re: New games not as good as old [Re: Jenny100] #351972
06/27/08 12:42 PM
06/27/08 12:42 PM
DELAWARE
R
REDCELL Offline OP
Shy Boomer
REDCELL  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
R

DELAWARE
It took me quite awhile to get into Jack Keane. There was not enough puzzles for me. So far Belief and Betrayal seems okay. I am really only at the beginning but I do not like having to right and left click so much. Also when I started the game I picked up the helmet and could not get past that part of the game. I started over and I am only on the first chapter at the Uncles apartment.

Eileen
Re: New games not as good as old [Re: REDCELL] #351988
06/27/08 01:27 PM
06/27/08 01:27 PM
Land of Hamlet
misslilo Offline
Addicted Boomer
misslilo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Land of Hamlet
I recently played Perry Rhodan and loved it.
A beautiful universe, amazing graphic, soundtrack and characters.
It is built over a wellknown comic started in 1961 in german and it shows.

I usually play a game in one go, but this one I just had to take my time to enjoy, so played it over 3 days laugh

Since there was/is no english walkthrough, I had to search for a german. Wasn't the easiest way to get help, lol - but asking for help on forums helped a lot.

"You can not escape your past, but you can make your future" - Diana Melkumova - @wowdane
Re: New games not as good as old [Re: REDCELL] #352144
06/27/08 07:56 PM
06/27/08 07:56 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Space Quest Fan Offline
Graduate Boomer
Space Quest Fan  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Upper Arlington, Ohio
REDCELL I loved all the old Sierra and Lucas games. If you liked Space Quest I would suggest all the Monkey Island, Simon the Sorcerer, and Discworld games. They have great puzzles and lots of humor. Have you played Black Mirror? I think it is one of the better newer games. I also would suggest Runaway. Good luck. thumbsup

It's nice to be important but it is much more important to be nice.
Re: New games not as good as old [Re: Space Quest Fan] #352263
06/28/08 03:56 AM
06/28/08 03:56 AM
Germany
seagul Offline
Settled Boomer
seagul  Offline
Settled Boomer

Germany
I recommend Edna & Harvey: The Breakout for everyone who loves the old Lucas Artsgames. I played in in german, there is no english version now. So there is something to wait for in the future. It is really a game that reminds me of old times ... happydance It's crazy and touching and (as the box states) made from the people who love monkey island. lol
Look here: http://edna.daedalic.de/?page=3&lang=en

And the other game that overwhelmed me this year: The Lost Crown. What a wonderfull experience!

Re: New games not as good as old [Re: seagul] #352332
06/28/08 07:35 AM
06/28/08 07:35 AM
Singapore
Benedict Offline
Addicted Boomer
Benedict  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Singapore
Try playing the Darkside games, RPGs, RTSs, shooters, bash-em-ups, platformers, tycoon sims, other sims, movie-related games etc. There are so many types of gaming experiences to be discovered out there even though some genres may not fully appeal to everyone. Some RPGs have very good plot, some very many different types of objectives and good ones allow you to play as a really diverse range of game characters. Oblivion is a very good RPG. You get to choose various futures for your character - and you can rise to the top in the various Factions you join, regardless of the main quest.

Re: New games not as good as old [Re: Benedict] #352360
06/28/08 08:47 AM
06/28/08 08:47 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Stony Brook, New York, USA
I've been admiring Edna & Harvey too, seagul. I hope there's an English language version soon!

For those who want to get a taste for other genres, GameBoomers has a Dark Side forum and a Casual forum, where experienced gamers will enjoy advising you as to good games for a beginner in those genres. thumbsup

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 105 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
boxbluestudios, Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux
9391 Registered Users