GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Topic Options
#860165 - 01/03/13 04:35 PM New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games
mcc Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Michigan
It brings many questions, HERE you can find more information.

From The Matrix

#860167 - 01/03/13 04:50 PM Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games [Re: mcc]
looney4labs Offline
GB Reviewer Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: Alabama
Thanks Mcc....I've heard rumblings about that and if true, would preclude me from using any Sony products. puppy

#860169 - 01/03/13 05:07 PM Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games [Re: mcc]
Draclvr Online   content
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
I've heard about it too... I don't use consoles, but it would definitely put me off of all Sony products.

#860190 - 01/03/13 07:01 PM Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games [Re: Draclvr]
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer

Sony is in the anti piracy business as it is , via SecuRom , which is one of their subsidiaries .

#860192 - 01/03/13 07:09 PM Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games [Re: mcc]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Quote:
When a disc is first used, the disc ID and player ID will be stored on the tag. Every time the disc is used in future, the tag will check if the two ID’s match up and, if not, then the disc won’t work.

So if your PS3 kicks the bucket, you can't just buy another PS3 and have your PS3 games work. They'll all be useless.

#860196 - 01/03/13 07:18 PM Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games [Re: mcc]
looney4labs Offline
GB Reviewer Moderator
Sonic Boomer

That seems so totally stupid. They will have to address that somehow.

#860338 - 01/04/13 02:19 PM Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games [Re: mcc]
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Denmark, Europe
I think this would illegal in the EU - after the EU courts decision last year in June, or July, to allow second hand software programmes to be sold - after the programmes had be uninstalled of course.

And as as the link provided in the first post asks: what about rental stores like Blockbuster or gamesites which lets you download demos of games like The Adventure Company or gamesites like Gamefly where people buy digital versions of games...

#860340 - 01/04/13 02:48 PM Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games [Re: mcc]
looney4labs Offline
GB Reviewer Moderator
Sonic Boomer

We have a Wii in 3 different rooms in our house. With that system, I couldn't play my disk where I chose to. I have to believe that Sony is smarter than that.

#860376 - 01/04/13 05:22 PM Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games [Re: mcc]
mcc Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Michigan
I have two PS 3s, same problem as L4L. Also one of the advantages of consoles over PCs is the fact that one can buy pre-owed games and trade them in later, this measure would make some people included myself to go back to buy games for PC, they cannot be traded but at least can be given to somebody for most games.

From The Matrix

#860466 - 01/05/13 09:11 AM Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games [Re: mcc]
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: mcc
I have two PS 3s, same problem as L4L. Also one of the advantages of consoles over PCs is the fact that one can buy pre-owed games and trade them in later, this measure would make some people included myself to go back to buy games for PC, they cannot be traded but at least can be given to somebody for most games.

For the largest part , PC games can indeed be traded or purchased second hand , unless the game in question is tied to a service such as Steam , Origin , or Games For Windows Live . Some places such as Gamestop have basically stopped retail of PC games , so getting PC games second hand is largely left up to trading over the internet , or second hand stores .

#860561 - 01/05/13 04:30 PM Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games [Re: mcc]
looney4labs Offline
GB Reviewer Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Yep Creeping, I think that is why lots of our members still play on PC. wave12

Moderator:  looney4labs 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
10 registered (Haroula, Draclvr, PolloDiablo, DotEmu, Marian, albet, InlandAZ, CanukDenis, Sparkle, 1 invisible), 111 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Newest Members
DotEmu, JoyBunBun, Cabb, Veilant, tookiebgirl12
8544 Registered Users