GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Skyrim expansions #891472
06/01/13 04:02 PM
06/01/13 04:02 PM
Isle of Man
gremlin Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
gremlin  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Isle of Man
Okay, so there are three official expansion packs for Skyrim: Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn.

How do these affect the base game? Do they affect the base game? Or are they meant for high level players who've already finished the main quests?

And why are Dawnguard & Dragonborn almost as much to buy as the base game, when Hearthfire is so much cheaper?

Re: Skyrim expansions [Re: gremlin] #891481
06/01/13 04:39 PM
06/01/13 04:39 PM
Lost in the Arizona Desert
oldman Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldman  Offline
Addicted Boomer

These sites may help. I haven't used Hearthfire because I'm not in to house building and adopting kids etc. but I do have the other two DLC's and they add a lot of hours play to the game.

Dawnguard

Dragonborn

Hearthfire

You laugh because I'm different
I laugh because you're all the same

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

John
Re: Skyrim expansions [Re: gremlin] #891494
06/01/13 05:08 PM
06/01/13 05:08 PM
Alaska
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer
lanlynk  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska
I bought Hearthfire and Dawnguard on sale, but have not bought Dragonborn yet.

Hearthfire costs less, I think, because it is not a full-fledged quest-driven expansion. It allows you to get married, adopt a couple of orphans, and to purchase land, design and build a home for yourself in the countryside rather than in the cities. I've enjoyed working with Hearthfire. It was fun selecting which wings to my house I wanted, seeing it go up as I chopped the wood and built from the foundation up, chose my furnishings. EDIT: you don't have to get married or have kids to build the house. Likewise, you don't have to build the house if you just want to get married. All choices.

Dawnguard is about vampires. You can choose to side with the vamps or else become a hunter. If you install this mod, there will be vampire attacks in the cities that I don't think happen in the base game. Not sure on that because I had the expansion installed when I first started playing. I do have a mod also installed called When Vampires Attack that mainly scripts the villagers to run for cover when a vampire hits the town. I don't like to see my NPCs get hurt. Only the town guards remain to fight the vamps. smile

You do not have to be high level for Hearthfire or Dawnguard. Probably not Dragonborn either, since I heard that with Dragonborn you can learn new shouts. That would be useful during regular game play. Also, the cost of the base game has come down quite a bit recently, so that's the reason the expansions are closer in cost to it.

EDIT: Ok, I have to say a couple of other things about Hearthfire. You can have a Steward build most of the house for you. However, my Blacksmithing skill went way up while building my house. So if you're into making high level armor and weapons and need your blacksmithing skill to increase in order to get the perks to do that, building a house will help. In fact, you can build three houses with Hearthfire. So the expansion is not just about domestic bless. wink I like living in the country rather than the city too. Beautiful scenery. (Says the woman living in the woods of Alaska!)

Last edited by lanlynk; 06/01/13 05:27 PM.

"Dragons were never gone. They were just invisible and very, very quiet." ~ M'aiq the Liar (Skyrim)
Re: Skyrim expansions [Re: gremlin] #891526
06/01/13 07:17 PM
06/01/13 07:17 PM
Isle of Man
gremlin Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
gremlin  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Isle of Man
Thanks for the advice, both of you.

I've gone ahead and bought Dawnguard and Dragonborn, and I'll save Hearthfire for another day... or week... or month. smile

Re: Skyrim expansions [Re: gremlin] #891531
06/01/13 07:48 PM
06/01/13 07:48 PM
Alaska
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer
lanlynk  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska
I've barely scratched the surface in Skyrim, so I'm waiting a bit to get Dragonborn. But I've heard it's a great expansion, with a whole new area to explore.

You'll have to let us know what it's like. You too, oldman. wave

"Dragons were never gone. They were just invisible and very, very quiet." ~ M'aiq the Liar (Skyrim)
Re: Skyrim expansions [Re: gremlin] #891541
06/01/13 08:46 PM
06/01/13 08:46 PM
oldman Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldman  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I have played both Dawnguard and Dragonborn several times. They are each unique in themselves so the enjoyment would be in the eye of the player. I prefer Dawnguard myself, although as previously said Dragonborn is in an area all it's own. They also have an equal amount of playing time. I generally do Dawnguard right away when I start a game because I prefer Serana as a companion. The side quests in Dragonborn, in my opinion, are a little more involved than Dawnguard. Dawnguard is more fetch and return stuff as far as side quests are concerned but the main quest held my interest in Dawnguard much more than in Dragonborn. I won't get into specifics because I don't feel like using a spoiler tag. lol crazy

As far as DLC's go I would recommend them. I would venture a guess that later on down the line Bethesda will have a Skyrim GOTY edition that will include the 3 DLC's as they did with both Morrowind and Oblivion.

You laugh because I'm different
I laugh because you're all the same

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

John
Re: Skyrim expansions [Re: oldman] #891545
06/01/13 09:25 PM
06/01/13 09:25 PM
Alaska
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer
lanlynk  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska
I haven't played Dawnguard yet. I wasn't sure whether I should finish the main quest first or not. But with what you've said, I think I'll finish the task I'm working on now and then head on over to Fort Dawnguard. I kind of like breaking the main quest up with other stuff anyway.

I've gotten distracted from Skyrim with the game sales going on lately. Time to stop buying and start playing. smile

Re: Skyrim expansions [Re: lanlynk] #891606
06/02/13 08:40 AM
06/02/13 08:40 AM
Isle of Man
gremlin Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
gremlin  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Isle of Man
Originally Posted By: lanlynk
I kind of like breaking the main quest up with other stuff anyway.

I'm so slow at the main quest that even after 19 hours playtime (according to Steam), I've not even started the climb to High Hrothgar yet! But I'm level 16 from other quest work.

Quote:
I've gotten distracted from Skyrim with the game sales going on lately. Time to stop buying and start playing. smile

I'm in the reverse situation; it was a game sale that got me into Skyrim wink

Re: Skyrim expansions [Re: gremlin] #891723
06/02/13 04:14 PM
06/02/13 04:14 PM
Alaska
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer
lanlynk  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska
Well, gremlin, I'm not too far ahead of you. I'm around level 20. I did journey to the Greybeards, but I'm still not much further beyond that. I took some time to finish a few side quests that were piling up in my journal. lol

This is my first time to play Skyrim. So far, I really like it. I chose to play a male Redguard. I had never played Redguard in Morrowind or Oblivion. I usually rely more on magic, or at least do a mix of weapon/magic, but I haven't gotten the hang of magic in this game yet--maybe because I'm still too weak at it. I guess I should go over to the College of Winterhold and educate myself!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Trail_Mystic 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 230 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users