GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Which Myst game to buy? #1011477
04/22/15 04:23 PM
04/22/15 04:23 PM
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Tristy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Tristy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Las Vegas, NV, USA
Hi all. I recently discovered I cannot get my old Myst masterpiece edition cd-rom to play on my current laptop. So I want to buy Myst on GOG.com, but I'm having trouble deciding which version of Myst to get: the Masterpiece Edition, RealMyst, OR RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition for a little more money.

I'm just looking for peoples' opinions on which they think is best. I never played either the masterpiece edition or RealMyst. I just played the regular old original Myst years ago. It looks like the masterpiece edition has a kinda cool intro with an excerpt from the first book? But the graphics on RealMyst look beautiful, and I like the 360 degree movement idea. Should I spend that little extra to get both all in one? Thanks for any help deciding. grin

wave

Re: Which Myst game to buy? [Re: Tristy] #1011484
04/22/15 05:17 PM
04/22/15 05:17 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Myst Masterpiece is the snapshot-style game and is point-and-click.
The other two use realtime 3D "FPS-style" movement and are not point-and-click.
None of them use the type of 360 degree movement you see in the Atlantis games.

"RealMyst Masterpiece" has heftier system requirements, and might run chuggy on a laptop. It ran chuggy on my desktop with an ATI Radeon 7700 graphics card, and I never finished the game.

RealMyst and RealMyst Masterpiece have an extra Age -- the Rime Age -- at the end. Rime Age is not very long, but the snow is interesting.

If you don't get motion sickness and don't mind keyboard control, I'd recommend the old RealMyst for a laptop. The animations of the fish in the Stoneship basement are interesting. Unfortunately the fish in the RealMyst Masterpiece edition were a disappointment.

Check YouTube videos to see what they look like. If you have a huge, $3000+ gamer laptop you could consider RealMyst Masterpiece, but some people like the colors in the original RealMyst (and the fish).

Re: Which Myst game to buy? [Re: Tristy] #1011487
04/22/15 05:32 PM
04/22/15 05:32 PM
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Tristy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Tristy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Las Vegas, NV, USA
THank you for all the info, Jenny! RealMyst has keyboard controls? Hmm, I'm not a hug fan of that.

Re: Which Myst game to buy? [Re: Tristy] #1011488
04/22/15 05:56 PM
04/22/15 05:56 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
It gives you the choice of keyboard or the holding-down-the-button-while-aiming-the-mouse controls. It's not point-and-click, but there is a mouse option.

Re: Which Myst game to buy? [Re: Tristy] #1011490
04/22/15 06:00 PM
04/22/15 06:00 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
Hi Tristy,
I have played each and every one of the Myst games. My favorite is still the original Myst, but REALMYST makes things really "come alive". Up to the RIME Age, Realmyst is basically the same content, but with awesome graphics. Even though Realmyst Masterpiece Edition, which I have also played, has a little better graphics, I would stick with Realmyst.
Sandy

Re: Which Myst game to buy? [Re: Tristy] #1011491
04/22/15 06:23 PM
04/22/15 06:23 PM
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Tristy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Tristy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Las Vegas, NV, USA
Oh ok, Jenny, thank you!

Thanks Sandy! Does the regular Masterpiece Edition have any other interesting extras, besides just the little prologue at the beginning with the excerpt from the Myst book??

Re: Which Myst game to buy? [Re: Tristy] #1011524
04/22/15 10:47 PM
04/22/15 10:47 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
I also purchased and played the Regular Masterpiece Edition, Tristy. Although the graphics were only slightly better than in the Original Myst, It was a complete waste of time.I bought that "newer" version of Myst from GOG when it was on sale, so I didn't waste TOO much money on it. Realmyst is another story. The graphics are gorgeous and the navigation is much easier than in the original and regular Masterpiece. I know that you are concerned about the Keyboard navigation, but it's really easy once you do it a few times. You are allowed MUCH MORE movement, and you can go to places that you could NOT go to in the Original Myst game. Now, REALMYST MASTERPIECE EDITION had a litle better graphics than in REALMYST. I only bought Realmyst Masterpiece out of curiosity, and I enjoyed it as well. BOTH versions run very well on my "ancient dinosaur" WIN XP computer, mainly because I had upgraded my video card to a much better one, a few years ago. I hope this helps you to make a decision, and ABOVE ALL,-------HAPPY GAMING.
Sandy

Re: Which Myst game to buy? [Re: Tristy] #1011616
04/23/15 02:41 PM
04/23/15 02:41 PM
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Tristy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Tristy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Las Vegas, NV, USA
OK, thank you both for all the info. I think I've made my decision then. RealMyst it is. smile

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 210 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users