GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Laptop question? #1023030
07/13/15 12:58 PM
07/13/15 12:58 PM
Sunny Devon, United Kingdom
Upsydaisy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Upsydaisy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I have an Asus A53U laptop and the hard drive has expired. I had a quick look and the drive does not come with any brackets or rails to mount the drive. The back of the drive is protected with yellow sticky-backed plastic which is also covered with another layer of sticky-backed black plastic. My question is will it be okay to cover the back of the new drive in this way or would this cause heating problems? Thanks in advance think

Re: Laptop question? [Re: Upsydaisy] #1023032
07/13/15 01:15 PM
07/13/15 01:15 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Is your A53U different from the one in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz0q7c9xOIo

The one there seems to come in a caddy.

Re: Laptop question? [Re: Upsydaisy] #1023050
07/13/15 03:05 PM
07/13/15 03:05 PM
Upsydaisy Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Upsydaisy  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

It's similar,but my hard drive has all the workings underneath, the metal casing with all the information about it is uppermost,no caddy-it just slots into the SATA.
I bought the laptop direct from ASUS outlet-it was refurbished and has worked fine for the past year.

Re: Laptop question? [Re: Upsydaisy] #1023137
07/14/15 07:24 AM
07/14/15 07:24 AM
Glennville, Ga., USA
Albert Offline
Addicted Boomer
Albert  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Glennville, Ga., USA
Most laptop user manuals I've seen cover how to replace the hard drive. If it didn't come with one, you should be able to get it from an Asus site somewhere. Since they're global, there may be regional variations. The manual will also cover things like which keys to hold down and when to get into the BIOS setup, and probably how to do a system restore. If the hard drive crashed you'll definitely have to do a system restore from DVD's, since it will have all the drivers for your hardware, which is very specific and proprietary on laptops. So if you don't have those, that's something else you'll need to get from Asus.

I've only owned and worked on a handful of laptops, but they all used some sort of bracket that screwed to the hard drive, then the assembly screwed to the laptop chassis. But Asus is a top tier company, so if they refurbished it and it doesn't have one, who knows. Except the user manual should tell you.

If its supposed to have a bracket but doesn't have one, and doesn't get moved around much, you might try some newspaper or something between the cover and hard drive to wedge it in. I've done this on a temporary basis when cloning hard drives and didn't have any problems. The best solution of course would be to get a replacement somewhere.

Albert

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (flotsam), 259 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users