GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Start Up #1147368
04/05/18 08:53 PM
04/05/18 08:53 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
A problem has came up in the past week. I am having trouble starting my Win-7 computer. I click it on and start-up seems to be going ok but it will not continue from the black screen to loading the desktop screen which is the last thing to happen. I have checked the start up programs (msconfig) and nothing seems odd. There are no noises or anything that would seem unusual from the hard drive.I have to re-try starting several times before it will finally go to the final desktop screen. I have tried restarting it by the on button which goes to shut down so I can start again, and reset which re-boots without shutting down. It takes several tries before it will actually start either way. I have run virus and malware scans and also Super-antispyware scans. They find nothing and don't help the problem. Any ideas?

Re: Start Up [Re: Geo] #1147370
04/05/18 09:34 PM
04/05/18 09:34 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
It sounds like your computer's power supply is starting to fail. One of the symptoms of a power supply that's beginning to fail is that the computer will often start up once it's warmed up enough. You can either let it sit there running at a black screen for a while before rebooting, or keep restarting it repeatedly, and eventually it will start. But doing that is a PITA and eventually won't be enough.

You can also try unplugging any USB drives you have attached to the computer before attempting to start it. That may help a marginal power supply start. But it's best to just replace the power supply. Be sure to get a new power supply that has enough wattage to support your video card and any USB peripherals -- and that has the connectors you need for hard drive, DVD drive, graphics card (if your graphics card has a connector for a power plug on it).

Just be glad it's not a real virus. It's easier to replace the power supply than clean out a stubborn virus and/or have to reinstall Windows and all its drivers and updates.

Re: Start Up [Re: Geo] #1147372
04/05/18 09:54 PM
04/05/18 09:54 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
This is a fairly new power supply and plenty big enough (650w). You may remember not long ago I wrote about the hard drive clicking and the new power supply fixed that. It is not even a year old.

Re: Start Up [Re: Geo] #1147379
04/05/18 11:12 PM
04/05/18 11:12 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I was also going to say a failing power supply. Even if it's new, that doesn't mean something isn't amiss. I keep a power supply tester around for such things, but if you don't have one, you might need to find a repair shop to check it.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Start Up [Re: Geo] #1147516
04/07/18 07:55 AM
04/07/18 07:55 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
I wonder if that subtle monitor flicker I talked about in another post could be caused by that also?

Re: Start Up [Re: Geo] #1147523
04/07/18 09:17 AM
04/07/18 09:17 AM
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer
Creeping_Doom  Offline
Settled Boomer

Here is something you may try before replacing any physical hardware . I am curious though , how long has this been happening , & , have you installed any Windows updates prior to experiencing this problem ? Go to Start , All Programs , Windows Update , View Update History (third one down) , & look for the following updates : Update KB2607712, Update KB976098 and Update KB915597 . These particular updates have been rather well known , despite claims from MS to the contrary ,to cause the issue you are experiencing . If you find these updates , uninstall them , then reboot , see what happens . Also , you can speed up your boot time by going to msconfig , click the "boot" tab , then click on "advanced options" . From there , you check "number of processors" , then you can select the max number from the drop-down menu (example : if you have a quad core cpu , select "4") . Click ok , the apply , then ok again , & reboot . That little fix may take a time or two , to take effect . On a side note , there is ZERO harm in running a check on your psu , as has been suggested. Other than a local facility , a decent psu checking tool should cost about $20-$30 from Newegg , Tiger Direct , or a local store , such as Microcenter . When using a psu checker , pay closer attention to the +5 volt rail , as that rail is the main rail used to power your hdd during startup .

Re: Start Up [Re: Geo] #1147535
04/07/18 10:49 AM
04/07/18 10:49 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
My Dell Windows 7 had this same start up problem. I wonder if any of those updates may have been to blame. I never did take it in for repair. I still want to though. I just never found a computer shop around me that I'm comfortable with. Time to start looking again though.

Re: Start Up [Re: Geo] #1147541
04/07/18 11:18 AM
04/07/18 11:18 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
I have a high quality Fluke meter so I am sure it can do the same checks as a PS tester. Creeping-Doom this computer has worked perfect for years so I don't think those suggestions like check cpu cores used would apply to me. This is a recent problem. I tried the update program but only got a the MS spinning circle and could only get out of it with Cntl-alt-del. I don't know, is there a real long wait for that program? Doesn't seem like it should take long if it is only a list. I also ran a check-disk and it found nothing.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, BrownEyedTigre), 233 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users