GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Blackstone chronicles #1170725
12/02/18 02:20 AM
12/02/18 02:20 AM
San Diego
Tsavorite Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Tsavorite  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

San Diego
I love this game but my CD finally failed me. I have Win 7. Can I dtill play?

Re: Blackstone chronicles [Re: Tsavorite] #1170731
12/02/18 11:02 AM
12/02/18 11:02 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I moved your post over to Glitches, as this is a question of a technical nature.

There are some problems related to playing this game on newer systems, although some people have been able to tweak it such that it runs. There is also an eBay seller who sells the game here who has tweaked the game to run on newer systems - several people here have purchased from this seller and are very happy with his service - purchasing the game from him would probably be your best bet.

Re: Blackstone chronicles [Re: Tsavorite] #1170750
12/02/18 03:28 PM
12/02/18 03:28 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I purchased the game from the eBay seller that Marian linked to and played it on Windows 7 without any problems.

Re: Blackstone chronicles [Re: Tsavorite] #1170756
12/02/18 03:48 PM
12/02/18 03:48 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Tsavorite
I love this game but my CD finally failed me. I have Win 7. Can I dtill play?

Do you mean your CD or DVD drive doesn't see any files on the CD in Windows Explorer?
Or do you mean the game does not install when you run the Setup file?
Or do you mean the game does not start after it's been installed?
Do other game CD's work with the CD or DVD drive?

It's important to figure out where the problem actually is (if possible) before throwing money at it. If you buy a Blackstone game that works perfectly on someone else's computer, and your problem is actually with your CD or DVD drive and not with your Blackstone CD, then that second Blackstone CD won't work either and you've wasted your money.

Unless the CD is obviously broken in half, cracked or scratched, it's far more likely that your CD (or DVD) drive is starting to fail than that the disc is bad. If that's the case, you're better off buying a new DVD drive than a new game.

Also certain antivirus will block installation of older games unless you configure them to accept the game's exe files.

Re: Blackstone chronicles [Re: Tsavorite] #1170783
12/02/18 10:49 PM
12/02/18 10:49 PM
San Diego
Tsavorite Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Tsavorite  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

San Diego
other games are fine but I mainly use Big Fish now. I threw Blackstone awayc a long time ago but if i can still play it I will

Re: Blackstone chronicles [Re: Tsavorite] #1170859
12/03/18 04:53 PM
12/03/18 04:53 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Tsavorite
I love this game but my CD finally failed me. I have Win 7. Can I still play?

Marian already answered you.

Since GOG, Steam, Big Fish, etc. have no downloadable versions that are configured to work with Windows 7 and later, your only current option is the allvideo version that Marian linked to.

Your chance of getting the original CD version of the game working on Windows 7 is zero.

If you think the allvideo version is too expensive, consider that you're paying for his expertise. Allvideo uses DOSBox-based virtual machines and configures his DVD to install everything for you. Think how much you'd have to pay someone to come in and install virtual machine software on your computer, create a drive image, install the game, install any files the game needs that aren't included in DOSBox, etc., and have it all set up to run from a shortcut on your desktop.

If you still think it's too expensive, watch a Let's Play on YouTube like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLiar6qQ56E&list=PLDA1A35158AFBDA75

Re: Blackstone chronicles [Re: Tsavorite] #1170865
12/03/18 06:19 PM
12/03/18 06:19 PM
R
Robert Gault Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert Gault  Offline
Addicted Boomer
R

It is possible that the original game will run on Windows 7 though it may depend on the Quicktime and audio settings. I can't test that as I use WinXP but it may serve as an example.

There are two CDs with the original version and you use disk1 for low-res movies and disk2 for high-res movies. The game comes with QT3 but will work with QT7.7.3 under WinXP with the following settings.
Set system audio hardware acceleration at "basic acceleration" and set QT video settings for "Safe Mode (GDI only)." If this is not done, the game will hangup and not run.

It is possible that your audio and video cards and drivers may also be an issue.

Is anyone using Win7 willing to test the original game using the above suggestions?

By the way, you can also copy the CD to an image and use a CD emulator.

Re: Blackstone chronicles [Re: Robert Gault] #1170867
12/03/18 06:31 PM
12/03/18 06:31 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Not being technically wise enough OR willing to fiddle and mess with my computers, I have been buying "tweaked" oldies (that no one else can supply) from the "Allvideo" owner for years. [Long before his Ebay shop opened.] And have never had any problems with any of the games I have bought from him.

For me, that is GREAT value for money yes

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Fogfighter, Lex), 257 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users