GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Byzantine #1179294
03/04/19 12:26 PM
03/04/19 12:26 PM
Vienna, Austria
F
Fingon Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Fingon  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
F

Vienna, Austria
I was able to both install and run Byzantine : the Betrayal on Windows 10 and virtualized Windows XP. I was able, eventually, to deal with the two timed sequences so far and to get as far as about a half of the game, but now I have encountered a series of unfortunate, bizarre events or bugs :

Spoilers :

I got as far as to the virtual simulation of the Topkapi palace, room two and three. There is a fountain in the room two (I even hear the running water) and a table with a puzzle in the third room, but I am unable to get a detailed view of the each puzzle (as seen in let's plays on the YouTube. Sometimes the game shows an error message about missing files and then crashes.

This appeared several times. I have created a save, after the save is restored, I still have the virtual reality overlay, but the background belongs to another location, from the real world to boot (outside of the mosque).

The first version were ISO files downloaded online. I own the original CDs as well but use the images due to the slow loading times of each scene or clip. All the data are additionaly copied to the HDD

The second iteration is a clean install from the physical, original media

The third iteration is the virtual win xp, clean installation from the images without any additional data.
Each iteration has a copy of the original saves.
I have attempted to load several of the older saves and to do things in a different order, just the necessary steps to get forward, but I am unable even to leave the first virtual reality room. That is, the clickable elements are still there (as evidenced by the changed text overlay and the sounds, but the image of the room remains static (I am still able to look around or even blindly enter the third room but nothing else).

Sadly, I was unable to find any saved games from anyone else online...

I will try to delete /remove the saves and try with older ones still... I really hope I won't have to play it from the beginning...

I will also try my luck with the laptop of my wife who still has win 7, but other than that...

I am looking from time to time to French (https://www.planete-aventure.net with suggestions and sometimes patches for newer systems ) and German (https://www.adventurespiele.net - plenty of saves) forums but they have surprisingly little content to this game...

Do you have any idea what could I do or possibly to provide your own saved positions?

Re: Byzantine [Re: Fingon] #1179295
03/04/19 12:46 PM
03/04/19 12:46 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Hello, I have moved your post over to the Glitches forum as your post is primarily concerning technical issues/aspects of the game. Let's wait and see if anyone here has any suggestions for you.

Re: Byzantine [Re: Fingon] #1179299
03/04/19 01:37 PM
03/04/19 01:37 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by Fingon
I have attempted to load several of the older saves and to do things in a different order, just the necessary steps to get forward, but I am unable even to leave the first virtual reality room. That is, the clickable elements are still there (as evidenced by the changed text overlay and the sounds, but the image of the room remains static (I am still able to look around or even blindly enter the third room but nothing else).

That really sounds like a QuickTime issue.
The game was made to use QuickTime 2.

Inferno (Gameboomers' former moderator and XP expert) had some tweaks for running Byzantine on XP on her website, now archived ***here***.

Skip down past what she calls the "General Drill" to where it says
Originally Posted by Inferno
"Byzantine doesn't like auto insert notification to be enabled. So the first thing you have to do is to disable this function: "

and check the tweaks she mentions after that.
Some of the tweaks on that page may apply to virtualized XP.

I thought Byzantine was very interesting and I hope you can get it working.
I haven't played it in almost 20 years though, and certainly not on a recent version of Windows.

Re: Byzantine [Re: Fingon] #1179308
03/04/19 02:29 PM
03/04/19 02:29 PM
Vienna, Austria
F
Fingon Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Fingon  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
F

Vienna, Austria
The guide is known to me, though I have only some inferior backup without pictures.

I have installed the game circa 2017 and got to play it only now. Thus I don't remember anymore what steps I took beyond the windows 95 compatibility. I mus have picked up the tip with the manual copying of the files from all the CDs somewhere yet I can't Google it anymore.

QuickTime - inferno suggested an uninstal of all the versions of it (I have found two on my main pc and one version on the virtual XP but that didn't help, plus the game has worked fine until now...) plus, the game setup does not offer its installation anyway (just game files, video codec indeo, direct x and web links, so if the game uses it then only internally.)

It's worth a shot to try it with qt2, will try.

What makes me crazy is how far I was already able to get until this...

BTW in my experience, the game was fine with the autoplay. However, it wasn't fine with alt-tabbing and switching of the discs at some points. It has sometimes created an autosave, sometimes not...

Last edited by Fingon; 03/04/19 03:00 PM.
Re: Byzantine [Re: Fingon] #1179315
03/04/19 04:46 PM
03/04/19 04:46 PM
Vienna, Austria
F
Fingon Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Fingon  Offline OP
Shy Boomer
F

Vienna, Austria
Good news, it works in the virtualised XP after all. I was forced to ditch my previous saves and start the game anew, but without reading of all the supplementary materials it didn't take long to get back where I ended up. I was surprised to see new animations as the scans didn't appear to me in the first playthrough, nor some of the videos and none of the animations of the movements in the virtual reality.

It also surprised me that they have bothered to film introductory videos with Emre's assistant (the girl from the photo) in two different locations - the player can meet her either at the gates of the Topkapi palace or in the library in (H)Aya Sofia...

So far it seems that the problem has been solved and the game runs and look even better emulated under XP than natively in Win10, maybe a result of slowed down speed and a lower resolution of the XP window...

Re: Byzantine [Re: Fingon] #1179341
03/04/19 11:48 PM
03/04/19 11:48 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Glad to hear you got it working and that the videos are playing properly.

Re: Byzantine [Re: Fingon] #1179834
03/10/19 02:25 AM
03/10/19 02:25 AM
Kiev, Ukraine
Iurii Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iurii  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kiev, Ukraine
If anyone is still interested, a friend of mine has made a patch for 'Byzantine' that makes it run fine in all newer versions of Windows.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zgtU7iskqIHJALn9BPtZCMz3zOkgcFVv

I do not remember such bugs and crashes, but I have played on a real Windows 7 x64. The most common problems there are the speed of camera rotation, too fast animation and timed sequences - and that's what the patch fixes.

Re: Byzantine [Re: Iurii] #1179859
03/10/19 09:36 AM
03/10/19 09:36 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Thanks a lot, Iurii - I am definitely interested in the patch! wave

Re: Byzantine [Re: Fingon] #1179886
03/10/19 11:58 AM
03/10/19 11:58 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
What good news, Iurii!

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Byzantine [Re: Fingon] #1180054
03/12/19 12:23 AM
03/12/19 12:23 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Thanks, Iurii.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (oldbroad), 257 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users