GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181348
03/23/19 11:49 PM
03/23/19 11:49 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by GreyFuss
Some of the Links I read from Draclvr keeps talking about Apps and I don't have anything like that or really even know what they are.

Apps are little programs that usually only do one thing.
For example you might have a weather app running on your desktop that tells you the weather forecast. Or you might have a clock app that displays an analogue clock on your desktop.

Aren't they things for Apple Computers or phones or something?

I think Apple coined the term "app," which comes from "application."

Not sure how they would be mentioned with a Windows computer.

Windows has had that sort of thing for years. They just weren't called "apps."

but its the hassle and worrying about programs that don't work or having to updates tons of program drivers or updates, losing information or finding that programs won't run with the information or items I do have.

That's one reason I suggested getting a separate el cheapo computer with Windows 10 instead of wiping out your Windows 7.

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181352
03/24/19 12:57 AM
03/24/19 12:57 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
GreyFuss, they call them apps, but they mean your programs. It's just become "computer speak" over the years. I have my computer and my Window 10 Pro tablet set to automatically update. In over 3 years I have yet to have an issue with the updates interfering with me. I will get a notice that there is an update waiting and do I want to do it now or schedule it for another time. I've never had one just start updating without notifying me first. But then I am on my computer a lot every day and leave it on all the time except when I go to bed. I could see if I missed one of those notifications it might start doing the update. They also make allowances for people who are on metered connections and only critical security updates are downloaded. I prefer to have them all as it kind of defeats the purpose of never issuing another version of Windows if you don't allow it to update. There were some nightmare stories of an update which was rushed out and people lost a lot of photos... I was puzzled about that as if your huge photo collection is so important, why didn't you have it backed up? Like I said, in over 3 years, I've never had a problem with updates.

If your programs work on Windows 7, they will also work on Windows 10. Even the issues with games that use certain forms of DRM is part of Windows 7 now after one of the updates from a couple of years ago. And any games that are currently installed will continue to work. One of the things that Window 8 and 10 have really improved is driver support. It's nothing like the old days. However, once I get everything up and running, I always check with manufacturers to get any driver updates.

I have done at least half a dozen fresh installs of WIndows 10 and upgraded several Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 computers. Every single one has gone without a hitch and is so fast compared to the eternity it used to take to install Windows 7. Necessary drivers were installed and I updated where necessary. On the upgrades all programs (apps) and files were left in place.

Although an update would probably go just fine, if this is all too stressful for you, then plopping down $500 for a cheapie Windows 10 computer just for using the internet might be your best bet.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181497
03/25/19 10:35 AM
03/25/19 10:35 AM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I do admit that I no longer am up on the 'computer speak' anymore. I don't have all the fancy gadgets and do dads like the rest of the world, in fact I just checked my Pre-Paid Flip Phone and it doesn't say App anywhere.

What would be the difference between a fresh install and an upgrade? Are they two different products?

I don't think I am concerned so much about learning how to navigate Win 10 so much especially since both of you (Jenny & Draclvr) has reassured me so well, I am so concerned that I will have a lot of work in recovering all the things that could be lost, broken or programs that no longer work. Except for a game that I would be playing (few & far between the last couple years) I do leave them on the computer once I have finished them.

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181544
03/25/19 04:00 PM
03/25/19 04:00 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
The upgrade leaves all your programs and files in place... just the operating system is upgraded. The fresh or custom installation wipes you hard drive clean of everything and installs Windows 10.

It's a great way to start fresh, but not what want when you want to leave your files and programs undisturbed.

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181556
03/25/19 06:58 PM
03/25/19 06:58 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I don't think I am concerned so much about learning how to navigate Win 10 so much especially since both of you (Jenny & Draclvr) has reassured me so well, I am so concerned that I will have a lot of work in recovering all the things that could be lost, broken or programs that no longer work. Except for a game that I would be playing (few & far between the last couple years) I do leave them on the computer once I have finished them.

I would back up everything on the computer that you absolutely don't want to lose to an external drive before running the Windows 10 upgrade. Never trust Windows to back up all your stuff during an upgrade. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. And if it doesn't, it's best to have the information elsewhere so it isn't completely lost.

What to back up would include personal files (documents, pictures), game installers, installers for any other programs you want to keep, and any saved games you want to keep. Use a USB external drive that's large enough to hold all your important stuff.

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181576
03/25/19 08:46 PM
03/25/19 08:46 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Good advice Jenny. Is there any programs out there that would save everything on the computer except the Operating System? There is just so much more than the files I would be able to think of like Saves and Settings within my many Programs not games? How big are Flash Drives up to now?

I am still a bit confused about Upgrade and Fresh Install. Are these two different programs for Win 10? For example should I be buying a Windows 10 Upgrade kit and not a Win 10 Full Install Kit? Isn't that the way that the past Operating Systems came?

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181579
03/25/19 09:24 PM
03/25/19 09:24 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Good advice Jenny. Is there any programs out there that would save everything on the computer except the Operating System?

There are programs that will back up the entire hard drive including the operating system, so you can undo the Windows 10 install if you wanted. You need the hard drive space to back everything up on though. I've heard of backup software called "Acronis" but I've never used it myself. Finding software that's only going to back up specific things without backing up the entire hard drive might be difficult.

There is just so much more than the files I would be able to think of like Saves and Settings within my many Programs not games? How big are Flash Drives up to now?

Amazon seems to have some that are 512 GB, and I even see one that's 1 TB.
The 256 GB drives seem to have better user ratings than the 512 GB.
You could get a USB portable SSD that's 1 TB for less than a flash drive that's 1 TB.
A portable spinning USB drive would cost even less.
I suggest getting one that's at least twice the size of what you think you need.

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181596
03/25/19 10:24 PM
03/25/19 10:24 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
As I said in my first response, you should back up the drive you are upgrading. There is no "upgrade package" for Windows 10. You choose to upgrade or do a "custom/clean" installation. I just did it on my grandson's new build today. Since this was a new solid state drive, I chose the "custom"install. If you check out some of the links I provided, you can watch the process step by step.

Last edited by Draclvr; 03/26/19 04:26 PM.

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181673
03/26/19 02:16 PM
03/26/19 02:16 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Ahhh, now its becoming more clearer. They don't have different software for a Full install and one for just an Upgrade like in the past (the way past). The reason I didn't completly watch and read the Links you sent was because they mentioned early on a Clean Install and I didn't think it was pertaining to me. I should have known better as I read and watched all the way through and it does look easy...but still scary.

Now I just have to concentrate on how to back up the entire hard drive. Right now I have a 1 Terrabyte drive and have 671mb free of 931mbs.

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181676
03/26/19 04:23 PM
03/26/19 04:23 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Do you know what brand your drive is? If it's a Western Digital, they have free backup software from Acronis. I've used it several times when moving to a new drive. Once I even cloned the old drive and then transferred to the new drive. EaseUSTodo has good free backup software. I've also use that one. I think these are mostly paid backup software. If you are not already backing up, I'd sure recommend it! I backup my drive once a day with Carbonite.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3201971/best-windows-backup-software.html

It's always nerve wracking to do an upgrade! So far, all of the ones I've done have gone well.

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181705
03/27/19 12:47 AM
03/27/19 12:47 AM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Thanks Drac, I will have to study those Backup software.

According to my aperwork for this ECollege Computer I have a Gigabyte Motherboard GA-Z77-HD3

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181758
03/27/19 12:20 PM
03/27/19 12:20 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I use "Acronis" and "FreeFileSync" for my backing up yes

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181778
03/27/19 05:10 PM
03/27/19 05:10 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Do you know what brand your drive is?

I remember that build had a good Gigabyte board. I've used them several times. But does it say what brand your drive is?

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181784
03/27/19 05:29 PM
03/27/19 05:29 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

oops for some strange old brain minute I had thought you were asking about the Motherboard...geesh. Nothing in my paperwork states the brand of Hard Drive only...
1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps (Major Brand). Wow...I bought this in June of 2013..doesn't seem that long since Ive had this, maybe since I still have the Dell XP computer sitting next to it (that I don't use) smirk

Also looking at my official Windows 7 Home Premium disk, it says "Includes Windows Anytime Upgrade" does that mean anything?

Thanks Mad, I am sure I started this way early as it gives me 10 months to learn and get it right.

Last edited by GreyFuss; 03/27/19 05:31 PM.

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181786
03/27/19 05:51 PM
03/27/19 05:51 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
My brain is older than yours and works only now and then, so I completely understand!

As I understood it back than, that anytime upgrade meant you could upgrade from Windows Home to Windows Pro. But I might be mistaken.

You'd have to open your case to see if you could see anything on your hard drive. But you may not be able to see anything anyway depending on how you case handles drives.

I would research some of those backup solutions. Acronis always comes out ahead in most reviews, but it also may have a lot of features you don't need. Mad uses it, so maybe ask her about it.

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181787
03/27/19 06:00 PM
03/27/19 06:00 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Hi Drac

LOL...are you sure about your brain being older than mine???

The next time I open the case for a dust bunny removals (varmints) I will see if I can read the info on the drive. You are probably right about the Upgrade on the disk as how would they know whats down the line to be able to upgrade to anything besides Pro. I actually tried to find out if I could pay for the 3 year extension for Win 7 as for me, it would be worth paying say $100 for an extra 3 years but its only available to businesses and....they have to pay a price each year and the price goes up each year.

So Mad...how easy is your back-up software and what do you back-up and to what device?

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181790
03/27/19 06:14 PM
03/27/19 06:14 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Mine is 70 plus, GreyFuss!

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181792
03/27/19 06:19 PM
03/27/19 06:19 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

praise

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181892
03/28/19 05:54 PM
03/28/19 05:54 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi GreyFuss.

Once installed the two programmes are BOTH very easy to use - but my "techie" Son in Law actually installed them for me.
I have no idea how to do such things myself woozy

[I DO know my FreeFileSync backs up to a "double disk NAZ" external drive.]

However, I feel sure everything you might need would be covered by the two programmes because that's the way my Son in Law works.
He likes to have everything backed up !!

Is there anyway you could get help with such installations ??

Cheers.

Mad grin

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1181930
03/28/19 09:51 PM
03/28/19 09:51 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Installing the programs is easy... the same as installing a game from a disk or a download!

Sounds like your SIL has set you up with a NAS which is "network attached storage." VERY nice setup for backing up! Greyfus, if you do not already back, I sure would suggest you start. You don't need anything that advanced, but even a good 1 TB external drive would be a good investment.

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1182814
04/06/19 11:33 PM
04/06/19 11:33 PM
GreyFuss Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Please forgive me the late response as I have been out of town.

Thank you Mad for your experience and suggestions.

I guess what I have been thinking about is just backing up the System once when I do the Upgrade to Win 10 just in case the change over doesn't go well and I lose some stuff. I guess it didn't dawn on me about Backup Programs and drives that constantly backup the computer. A long time ago I had a couple of those with a separate drive but I experienced periodic Blue Screens of Death and I got away from it. Is there any way to just back up the whole system once on a separate drive that I disconnect and save in case of an emergency or is what you are talking about is the only way to do this?

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1182816
04/06/19 11:56 PM
04/06/19 11:56 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Sure you can do what you say. But of course that will be a snapshot in time and will not reflect any changes after that backup. For your purposes in moving to a different operating system, doing a complete backup just before you change over is perfect.

Now, if you're talking about backing up on a regular basis, that won't work. I use Carbonite which is a cloud backup service which backs up everything once a day. But there are plenty of ways to back up to a separate hard drive once a day, once a week, once a month... whatever you are comfortable with.

Windows 10 even has a pretty decent built-in back up system called File History. You just set it to back up your files to a location you want. I use it for backing up our files on our American Legion computer. I installed a new hard drive on that computer a couple of years ago and yes, I had to reinstall all our programs such as our Payroll software, Office, Money etc. But then I just restored all the files and was up and running in no time.

Windows 10 also comes with I think it's 8 GB of cloud storage in One Drive. You can even set File History to back up there. Just remember that all this is files not programs. Programs need to actually be "installed" to create registry entries. You can also create an "image" which will include everything including your operating system, programs and files too. I've actually done that one and it worked quite nicely. Again, that's a "snapshot" in time.

TMI, right!!

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1182843
04/07/19 09:59 AM
04/07/19 09:59 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Is there any way to just back up the whole system once on a separate drive that I disconnect and save in case of an emergency

Yes, though I've never done it on a removable USB drive as opposed to a 2nd hard drive I added to the computer.

You could also just remove the current hard drive and put in a new one, and the current Windows 7 drive would be the "backup" while you install Windows 10 on the new drive.

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1182866
04/07/19 05:22 PM
04/07/19 05:22 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
My two cents: I like Jenny's idea of putting in a new hard drive for the Windows 10 and keeping the Windows 7 intact as your "backup".

Re: Windows 7 Security Ending...Suggestions??? [Re: GreyFuss] #1182869
04/07/19 05:38 PM
04/07/19 05:38 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
And keeping the Windows 7 drive in the computer and setting it up as a dual boot with Window 10 on one drive and Windows 7 on another was also my preference! But GreyFuss indicated he really didn't want to do that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 144 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users