GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Stuck on the beach #1186901
05/22/19 07:06 PM
05/22/19 07:06 PM
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I'm replaying an older game, Shiver: The Lilys Requiem. It has some spotty quality that has irked me, but it still is engaging and I have been able to find work-arounds to keep going. I had to skip two earlier puzzles because there was no Reset if you started off on the wrong track; you were done.

I am only in Chapter Two, Rivendale, so not even halfway through the game. I am on a beach and am supposed to feed a crab. The first silly part was that the "food" the crab wanted was a sugar cube. woozy OK, I got past that. ha ha I gave the crab the sugar cube and he promptly took off, running off screen. The second part is the problem: I have not been able to reestablish interaction with the crab, so am prevented from going forward (the crab apparently leads you to a necessary piece of Inventory to continue the game).

I have the CE that includes a complete Game Manual but all it says is, "Follow the crab (and move things out of its way)." I found a written WT on line, but it is the same as the Game Manual. I found a video WT but it shows directional arrows to use for guiding the crab. These directional arrows do not show up in my game. Neither WT says anything about the crab disappearing completely.

There is no Reset for this puzzle. I can leave the scene, but it won't restart. Unfortunately, there is no Skip for this puzzle. I tried altering my screen setup, in case it was related to that, but found no joy there.

Since I can't follow the crab, this is starting to look like an irrevocable dead end for me. Any ideas?

Oh, and to complicate things, all my Inventory just vanished

Last edited by Reenie; 05/22/19 07:13 PM.
Re: Stuck on the beach [Re: Reenie] #1186915
05/22/19 08:04 PM
05/22/19 08:04 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Here's a post from the technical forum for the game on Big Fish:

Got to where u follow the crab after giving it sugar cube not it went off screen n not able to move from where rocks and weeds are nothing left in inventory I'm using Samsung galaxy edge

The post was made in December 2015. Unfortunately it was the last post in the thread and no followup posts/suggestions were offered for this problem. I suppose you could try the usual stuff: uninstalling and reinstalling the game, starting over with a new profile, etc. I am sorry that you encountered this difficulty.

Re: Stuck on the beach [Re: Reenie] #1186917
05/22/19 08:18 PM
05/22/19 08:18 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
According to the Big Fish walkthrough
https://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/w...gy-guide-hints-cheats-codes-tips-tricks/
the crab is supposed to appear toward the end of Chapter 3, almost at Chapter 4, not at Chapter 2. If you're really still in Chapter 2, maybe it's too early for the crab or maybe you did things out of order.

Some games don't like it when you do things out of order.
Usually they'll block you from doing things before it's time, but maybe this one self-destructed.

From YourGibs' playthrough here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T48LDJZb2E

around 17:38 into the video, the crab is supposed to appear in a sort of window when you zoom into that part of the shoreline. The arrows aren't there all the time, but are supposed to appear when you mouse over the hotspots near the upper, lower, left, and right edges of the window. I'm not sure what you're seeing, but the crab does walk off the viewable area sometimes and you have to go looking for him.

Anyway, you can follow what "YourGibs" did in the video to see if you can find the crab.
After giving him the cube, go right, right, left, up, and move the rock so the crab can keep going. If you're stuck in one view of the window, and can't get to adjacent views, the puzzle must be malfunctioning.

I don't know if it can be fixed without starting over. Sometimes if you go back to previous scenes and come back things will work out. Sometimes if you go back to a different scene, exit the game, reboot, start the game, continue, and go back to the troublesome location, things have magically worked themselves out. I don't know if that will help here, but the only alternative is to restart the game from a different profile.

Re: Stuck on the beach [Re: Reenie] #1186918
05/22/19 08:40 PM
05/22/19 08:40 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
What a helpful post, Jenny. You are appreciated.

Re: Stuck on the beach [Re: Jenny100] #1186956
05/23/19 02:56 PM
05/23/19 02:56 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Thanks, Jenny. I think what I might try is playing other areas that are open and see if coming back later would help. I have tried everything else mentioned, and did watch the video WT of this section, so I know I'm doing it correctly.

This is an older game, with a plethora of glitches (one Magic Square puzzle involves making all the numbers add up to 15 in all directions, but it doesn't register 7+7+1 or 6+3+6 as equaling 15 duh). It isn't worth starting it over, and ~ who knows! ~ I might be faced with the same thing again on replay.

Re: Stuck on the beach [Re: Marian] #1186958
05/23/19 04:17 PM
05/23/19 04:17 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Problem solved (sort of): I went back to the game, to see what I might do other than mess with the crab, and the game had deleted my Profile entirely. I don't think Restart is a viable option, given the issues the game already had, so that is that. I guess this game will go down on my spreadsheet as "flawed." ha ha

So, on to a replay of Phantasmat: The Endless Night. joy

Re: Stuck on the beach [Re: Reenie] #1186960
05/23/19 04:51 PM
05/23/19 04:51 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Enjoy your replay. smile

Re: Stuck on the beach [Re: Reenie] #1186976
05/23/19 08:38 PM
05/23/19 08:38 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by Jenny100
Sometimes if you go back to previous scenes and come back things will work out. Sometimes if you go back to a different scene, exit the game, reboot, start the game, continue, and go back to the troublesome location, things have magically worked themselves out.

One game that doing that helped me with was the 2nd Shiver game, Shiver 2: Poltergeist, where I was having trouble with the locket puzzle failing to register.

However I didn't have my profile disappear.

Originally Posted by Reenie
This is an older game,

It's not that old. It's from 2015. It should behave itself.

Originally Posted by Reenie
Problem solved (sort of): I went back to the game, to see what I might do other than mess with the crab, and the game had deleted my Profile entirely. I don't think Restart is a viable option, given the issues the game already had, so that is that. I guess this game will go down on my spreadsheet as "flawed." ha ha

I'd specifically say "technical issues" and/or "disappearing save."
So many things can be categorized under "flawed" -- some worse than others.
I can understand why you wouldn't want to bother replaying it.

Hope you enjoy your Phantasmat game. I have 5 of them, but not Endless Night.

Re: Stuck on the beach [Re: Jenny100] #1187013
05/24/19 11:35 AM
05/24/19 11:35 AM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

[quote=Jenny100] Hope you enjoy your Phantasmat game. I have 5 of them, but not Endless Night.

Thanks for your advice and help! I have so many games that I don't think I'll retry this one. I'd be anxious the whole time that it would mess up again, as it had already given me those two mini-games that would not function properly even before I got to the crab scene. I generally don't play games to be put on edge, but to relax.

I have enjoyed the Phantasmat series, too, despite the often dark overtones. Of the 13 games I tried, only a few were disappointing due simply to being too easy or having too many HO scenes for my liking. Of the good ones, Endless Night, Insidious Dreams and Reign of Shadows have been my favorites, due to original and better puzzles, less HO and not quite as creepy as the others. I bailed on the Demo of three seriously gory games in the series. I find most creepy games too unsettling to call them fun, especially when they veer off into serial-ax-murderer-horror territory. I don't enjoy being startled by gore, although I know plenty of gamers do. Different strokes! wink

Re: Stuck on the beach [Re: Reenie] #1187025
05/24/19 02:49 PM
05/24/19 02:49 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
The Phantasmat games I have are:

1. Phantasmat
4. The Dread of Oakville
5. Behind the Mask
8. Mournful Loch
9. Insidious Dreams

I remember I liked the first one when I first got it, back in 2011, but I've replayed it so much since then that I'm sick of it now. The rest I can't really remember. I made notes for myself about them, and it doesn't look like I cared for them -- for example:

Started out promising, but ended up mediocre all around. Puzzles OK, mostly on the easy side and not enough of them.

It looks like I bought #'s 4, 5, 8, and 9 at the end of 2017. I may have been using up credits.

I may have tried a demo of some of the others, but wasn't impressed. Of course a game can always start out bad and get better, but it can also start out bad and get worse and there's no way to be sure which it is from the demo.

Re: Stuck on the beach [Re: Reenie] #1187026
05/24/19 02:51 PM
05/24/19 02:51 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
This is one of the few series in which I have every game. I haven't played them all yet, though (no surprise there!).

Re: Stuck on the beach [Re: Jenny100] #1187036
05/24/19 05:13 PM
05/24/19 05:13 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I may have tried a demo of some of the others, but wasn't impressed. Of course a game can always start out bad and get better, but it can also start out bad and get worse and there's no way to be sure which it is from the demo.
Yep, I had the same reaction to the series. I rated half of them as below average even if I bought and finished them; half of the ones I Demo-ed, I bailed on before finishing the Demo. The ones I mentioned above were the only Good ones, IMHO.

I write pretty much the same sort of "Notes" on games I've Demo-ed or finished, and my notes sound just like yours. ("Too easy, make-work, no plot, excessively abusive content" or if I liked it: "Terrific graphic design, thought-provoking puzzles, a good long game with complexity, decent characters.")

Usually, you can get the "flavor" of a game, though, and that is important all by itself. I have reasons to stay away from unduly violent content and, fortunately, that theme shows up almost from the first scene in some games if it is part of the game. Also, you can get a feel for the mini-games during the Demo. If they are too simple or the same old thing, I bail out and put that game into the "Standby" column, for when I might be desperate.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Urban Worrier, FlyingDutchman42), 254 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users