GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Zurreen] #1187604
05/30/19 03:56 PM
05/30/19 03:56 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Yes, that's what I thought, Jenny - but you took the time to explain it in depth.

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Zurreen] #1187615
05/30/19 06:24 PM
05/30/19 06:24 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
No problem, guys! I'm just glad we're back on topic. Thanks so much for understanding. wave2

And thank you so much for such a detailed and thoughtful explanation. I was hoping for just such a theoretical account, hoping to benefit to at least some extent from your unquestionably vast knowledge and experience. yes

But I think you hit the nail on the head only with that last point # 3 re: the non-DRM reasons. That is what my inner feeling as well as the observation I mentioned seemed to confirm. Here is what I observed. Please, everyone, let me know what you guys think.

The game did take a long time, first to extract files from my disk and then to install them on my computer, the Win 7. After it finished with all that, another wizard came on - the Phys X, if I remember correctly. I usually allow such supplemental installations, even with Direct X, although I know I already have the latest version. At any rate, shortly after the wizard began, I got a message that my current drivers were newer than the ones I was trying to install. So I declined, of course. Who wants to downgrade the drivers, right?! I am sure this message was from Windows itself because, after I declined to continue in response to this message, I got a message from the game again. If I remember correctly, it was prompting me to go ahead and install those drivers. When I declined again, it "reassured" me that I could go to such and such file/folder to install if I changed my mind. I never did, tried to play the game, and it never even kicked in.

Long story short, I think my Win 7 drivers, which I have tried to keep up-to-date, were apparently not compatible with the game. In contrast, my XP has remained in its SP3 state, and I don't use it online for fear of attracting a problem that no one would be able to correct since Microsoft no longer services it . Thus, the game was able to proceed with its (Phys X) upgrade without any "resistance." My only worry now is that, because of this "update" by the game, I might not be able to run the old games that only this XP computer was able to play because it had remained in its latest state. Sure hope not. Jekyll & Hyde is a nice enough game, but nowhere nearly as great as these other old games that I actually like to go back to play every few years...

Anyway, that's the whole bit. So - what do you guys think?

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Zurreen] #1187618
05/30/19 06:35 PM
05/30/19 06:35 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
With your extra information, I'm leaning towards the PhysX drivers. If the game is picky, picky, picky... you may need just those drivers to play it. I have been able roll back drivers in PhysX in the past if it was necessary.

There is still the DRM issue with Window 7, 8 and 10. But what usually happens there is that the game loads and then simply does not launch or play. Your extra info is leaning more to this game needing these drivers. Let's see what Jenny says... she knows way more than I do about this stuff.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Draclvr] #1187625
05/30/19 08:37 PM
05/30/19 08:37 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by Zurreen
The game did take a long time, first to extract files from my disk and then to install them on my computer, the Win 7. After it finished with all that, another wizard came on - the Phys X, if I remember correctly. I usually allow such supplemental installations, even with Direct X, although I know I already have the latest version. At any rate, shortly after the wizard began, I got a message that my current drivers were newer than the ones I was trying to install. So I declined, of course. Who wants to downgrade the drivers, right?! I am sure this message was from Windows itself because, after I declined to continue in response to this message, I got a message from the game again. If I remember correctly, it was prompting me to go ahead and install those drivers. When I declined again, it "reassured" me that I could go to such and such file/folder to install if I changed my mind. I never did, tried to play the game, and it never even kicked in.

I'm not sure whether you're talking about video drivers or PhysX. They aren't the same thing.
Are you saying you have a newer version of PhysX than what the game wanted to install?
PhysX is not 100% backwards compatible, no matter what is claimed. Some games only work with the version of PhysX they were made for. The people who make PhysX don't care about supporting an adventure game. They only care about top selling game genres.

If a game wants to install DirectX, you should let it. It will not replace your current DirectX. It will only add files that are missing. The DirectX you download from Microsoft will not be complete because there are way more files than most people ever use. If the game uses files that aren't part of a typical DirectX installation from Microsoft, and you don't already have them on your hard drive (possibly installed with another game) the game is not going to work right.

This game uses DirectX 9.0c.
Windows 7 comes with DirectX 11, which by default is not backwards compatible at all.
Unless you've installed DirectX 9.0c with another game, Windows 7 will not be able to play it.
Installing DirectX 9.0c does not replace DirectX 11, but makes the missing DirectX 9.0c files available to DirectX 11.

Anyway, you have two possible problems --
1. wrong version of PhysX for the game
2. missing DirectX 9.0c files

Originally Posted by Draclvr
There is still the DRM issue with Window 7, 8 and 10. But what usually happens there is that the game loads and then simply does not launch or play.

Not always. It depends a lot on the game. Most will fail to start without any indication of what is wrong. There were some games where when the DRM fails the disc check it allows the game to play, but creates more and more bugs until the game is unplayable. This behavior was advertised on the website of the maker of the DRM, and sometimes called "trigger functions." The makers of the DRM thought they were being smart, claiming that people playing pirated games would think the pirated versions were bad and buy the game. Instead people who had bought the game, failed the disc check, and had terrible bugs that made the game unplayable decided that the developers were at fault for making a buggy game and didn't buy any more of their games (at least not at full price). Meanwhile the pirates discovered what was going on with the DRM and either solved the problem or played something else if the game was mediocre to start with. Legitimate buyers were told by tech support to "update their video drivers" (their useless answer to everything) or were accused of pirating the game, which put them off from buying any games from that company in the future.

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Draclvr] #1187631
05/30/19 09:10 PM
05/30/19 09:10 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Thanks, Draclvr. I think I agree with your assessment. Am just - well, trying to figure out what Jenny just said. lol But do please tell me how to roll back the PhysX drivers, in case I have to do that to be able to play my old favorite games I mentioned. You're not talking about a System Restore, are you? As far as I know, such a restore does not roll back any drivers though. Or, does it... ?

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Jenny100] #1187632
05/30/19 09:23 PM
05/30/19 09:23 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Thanks for your response, Jenny. I think I may have confused you though. I mentioned the DirectX only as an example. And, yes, I do allow the games to install DirectX; and about every time, the game comes back with the message that I already have what I needed to play the game. DirectX 9.0c. I've never had a game that required any other version actually. So, no, I'm not talking about Direct X at all.

As for your question re: whether I am talking about video drivers or PhysX, I told you exactly what happened. If I remember correctly (and I'm pretty sure I do), the wizard that came on clearly said PhysX. The message only stated that I currently had newer drivers than the ones I (or rather the game) was trying to install. I never said video drivers, because the message never specified. But the fact that the wizard had PhysX written in big, bold title would indicate that it was trying to install the PhysX drivers. So I'm really not sure why you are bringing in the video drivers...? I never mentioned them. In fact, that was why I tried to relay the message exactly as it appeared, in order to avoid any such confusion. I've already installed the game twice now - first on Win7, to no avail; and then on my old XP. So I'm afraid I'm long past that message. Maybe, if you have the game, you could install it and see for yourself whether there was something else in that message that I missed? I do know that that wizard comes on every time, after all the extracting and other installation. At least it does on my original disk version.

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Jenny100] #1189009
06/17/19 04:37 AM
06/17/19 04:37 AM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Hey, Jenny. This is for you. I finished the Jekyll & Hyde game on my XP/SP3, but I remembered you were curious about the particular (component?) my Win7 wouldn't install. So I installed the game on Win7 again, and confirmed that it was the PhysX driver. I actually took screenshot of the messages, but apparently we can't attach any images to this forum. So all I can do is tell you what the messages said. The first message was no doubt from Win7, and read:

NVIDEA PhysX Setup

The currently installed version of the drivers is newer than what you are trying to install, aborting the installation.

In other words, the computer actually didn't even warn or try to discourage installing those older drivers. It just aborted the installation. The next message was apparently from the game, warning that the installation was not complete (of course, it wasn't - thanks to the computer's "refusal" to install the older drivers!), reassuring that we could run the setup at a later date to complete the installation. The third and final message was titled "NVIDEA PhysX Setup Canceled" and stated that the "NVIDEA PhysX was interrupted before your new software was fully installed. You can rerun this installation at another time to complete the setup of this software."

So those were the three messages I got. Again, I can send you the screenshots, if you like and there is a way of doing so. But, all in all, what do you think now?

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Zurreen] #1189028
06/17/19 08:52 AM
06/17/19 08:52 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
You can only post links to screenshots here, so you'd have to host the photos somewhere else. I used to use a couple of photo hosting websites, but they've gotten so full of ads I quit. I usually just switch to email to send screenshots at GB.

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Draclvr] #1189049
06/17/19 05:29 PM
06/17/19 05:29 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Thanks, Draclvr. So how do I email her the screenshots? They certainly took a long time to prepare. I had to install the whole game before it got to PhysX, and that took well over 20 minutes. Then I copied and pasted the screenshots from Paint to my MS Word, so I could crop and enhance the message so Jenny would be able to see just the message and clearly at that. And I did it all for Jenny, because she'd sounded curious and seemed to want to see it. So, after all that work, I was really disappointed that this forum didn't allow any attachments (for security reasons, I guess). So, yes, it would be good if I can still email her those screenshots. So, do I use "Email Post" for that?

Also, you'd promised to tell me how to revert the PhysX drivers, if necessary. But then, I guess you forgot, what with your visitors from Colorado (hope you enjoyed the visit!). So, again, were you talking about a System Restore? But, as far as I know, the System Restore does not revert the drivers... I've tried two of my old games that I play, from time to time, on my XP/SP3. They seem to be running fine. But there might be other games I'd played before that might not like the PhysX "upgrade" too much. So it would be good to know how I can revert those drivers, if ever I need to do so.

Once again, thanks for your prompt response. wave Guess Jenny hasn't logged on yet, but hope to hear from her soon too. smile

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Zurreen] #1189051
06/17/19 05:55 PM
06/17/19 05:55 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA

It's not necessary to email me screenshots.
You've already explained what happened well enough to understand.
Thank you for the information -- useful to know that this particular game has this problem.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

And about PhysX

I don't think you can "revert" PhysX the way you can revert video drivers.

You have to uninstall your current version of PhysX through Control Panel, and it's probably best to reboot afterwards to make sure the uninstallation is completed. Once the "new" PhysX is gone, you should be able to install the older version that came with the game.

But I don't know whether you have to install the game's version of PhysX at the same time as you install the game in order for the game to be convinced PhysX is installed. Apparently the game does some "check" to make sure PhysX is installed, and does not recognize the newer PhysX version as valid. It may be necessary to uninstall the game as well as uninstall the modern version of PhysX before attempting to install the game along with PhysX.

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Zurreen] #1189055
06/17/19 06:48 PM
06/17/19 06:48 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I think Jenny has covered it perfectly.

Yes, I had Colorado grandkids from May 22 until last week! Just catching my breath before the next wave of visitors arrives next week - family from Germany for 4 weeks!

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Jenny100] #1189062
06/17/19 08:00 PM
06/17/19 08:00 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by Jenny100
I don't know whether you have to install the game's version of PhysX at the same time as you install the game in order for the game to be convinced PhysX is installed. Apparently the game does some "check" to make sure PhysX is installed, and does not recognize the newer PhysX version as valid. It may be necessary to uninstall the game as well as uninstall the modern version of PhysX before attempting to install the game along with PhysX.

See? The screenshot would have made it clearer. wink No, the game doesn't check anything. The PhysX installation is part of the whole set up, i.e., the installation of the game. First, the game "extracts" a bunch of files from the game's DVD; then, it installs those files on the computer; then, it installs DirectX [you know, most games check and then inform me that I already have the necessary DirectX version and therefore don't need to do anything further; but this game doesn't bother to even do that!]; and then, it goes into the PhysX Set Up - no questions asked or answers (given by the computer re: my trying to install drivers older than the ones I already have, etc.) recognized. It's all part and parcel of the game's set up, which apparently does not allow for any exceptions.

Anyway, I went to all that trouble because I thought you were curious, and that you might like to have the information so as to perhaps be able to help future gamers who might have run into a similar problem. That's also why I took the screenshots, hoping to post them here on the forum so (a) not only could you see for yourself, but (b) so could any future gamers who happened to try this game.

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Draclvr] #1189064
06/17/19 08:02 PM
06/17/19 08:02 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
From Germany? Wow! You sure are one "worldly" lady, aren't you? lol Just kidding. Hope you have a great visit! wave

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Zurreen] #1189072
06/17/19 08:48 PM
06/17/19 08:48 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
LOL! Yes, Guenter and Petra come every summer for a month to visit with family on this side of the globe. And shop! I always say my B & B is open for business in the summer.

Gameboomers has a longstanding policy of not allowing screenshots as it could easily start eating up bandwidth with as many members as we have. I rely on screenshots a lot to help people and I just go to their profile and get the email address after asking permission first.

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Draclvr] #1189073
06/17/19 09:00 PM
06/17/19 09:00 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Thanks, Draclvr. Yes, I never use anyone's email either, even if I already have it, until and unless I have their permission. I thought maybe screenshots weren't allowed because of risks of hacking or something. But I guess bandwith makes sense too. I remember well, back in the days when I actually had time to write walkthroughs (and those were quite long and thorough walkthroughs at that!), one of the first things Marita asked me was to keep the screenshots at a minimum because of cyberspace concerns. lol

But re: B & B - Bed & Breakfast?! Don't tell me you charge your guests for putting them up! Better to have them "return the favor" by getting them to pay for your stay, and then be sure to go visit them often! As I recall back in the days when I used to visit Europe with my family, Europe is really expensive - especially food-wise! lol

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Zurreen] #1189075
06/17/19 09:48 PM
06/17/19 09:48 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Oh, heck no! This is family... our "B & B" is free, free, free! Although it's a month, we enjoy them a lot as we catch up on family. This is actually my husband's first wife's family. He met her while stationed in Germany and she passed away in 1999. My 2nd husband had died a couple of years earlier and after we got together, I told them they should just keep coming over, so they do! They shop and visit family and we cook together 3 or 4 times a week. Petra lives out by the pool and reads and there is a lot of good beer consumed while we watch "chicken TV" every night!

Re: Jekyll & Hyde (2010) [Re: Draclvr] #1189084
06/18/19 02:24 AM
06/18/19 02:24 AM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Wow! Sounds like a whole lot of fun! Wish I were part of your family too. lol

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 270 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users