GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Windows 7 next year #1189933
06/28/19 11:54 AM
06/28/19 11:54 AM
SE Michigan
T
The Haze Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
The Haze  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

SE Michigan
Good Afternoon,

Within the last few days I and most of the world got the message that "As of January, 2020, Microsoft will no longer support Windows 7." followed by a suggestion that I back up my computer. What does it really mean if my Windows 7 is "No longer supported?" Please be aware that simply asking this suggests a significant ignorance of computer technology. I am much dumber than that.

If all the people were heroes, there would be no one to watch the parades.
Re: Windows 7 next year [Re: The Haze] #1189937
06/28/19 12:07 PM
06/28/19 12:07 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
To get the ball rolling, you might want to read this article.

Re: Windows 7 next year [Re: The Haze] #1189941
06/28/19 12:36 PM
06/28/19 12:36 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
That's a great article, Marian. I always like the "How to Geek" information because it's written so we all can understand it.

This is the same thing that has happened for XP, Vista and other old Windows operating systems. This doesn't mean you can't use your old Windows 7 computer for things like gaming, just that you shouldn't go on-line with it. You will need to start using Windows 10 for going on-line. That could mean a cheap new computer just for email etc. or a whole new system for gaming. I have my old Windows 7 hard drive mounted in the same case with my Windows 10 drive set up as a dual boot. But that is something best left to someone who understands drivers and computer building.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Windows 7 next year [Re: Draclvr] #1189956
06/28/19 02:54 PM
06/28/19 02:54 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Thanks for that link, Marian. I will definitely use it and get myself "informed" bravo

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Windows 7 next year [Re: The Haze] #1189966
06/28/19 04:11 PM
06/28/19 04:11 PM
SE Michigan
T
The Haze Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
The Haze  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

SE Michigan
Thanks for the info. I just printed it and will read and ponder. As always, the people on this site are much appreciated.

If all the people were heroes, there would be no one to watch the parades.
Re: Windows 7 next year [Re: The Haze] #1189967
06/28/19 04:29 PM
06/28/19 04:29 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by The Haze
Within the last few days I and most of the world got the message that "As of January, 2020, Microsoft will no longer support Windows 7." followed by a suggestion that I back up my computer. What does it really mean if my Windows 7 is "No longer supported?" Please be aware that simply asking this suggests a significant ignorance of computer technology. I am much dumber than that.

Mostly it means no more security updates after January 2020.
That means Microsoft won't make any attempt to patch any new security vulnerabilities that are found in Windows 7 after that date.
Not that they've been doing the best job of that anyway.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...pened-bigger-security-hole-on-windows-7/

As Draclvr has said, you can still use the computer offline. However if you use it online you'll be at increased risk of virus or other malware.

If you have games that require online activation or installation (such as those from Big Fish), you have the option of temporarily putting the Windows 7 computer online long enough to activate, and disconnecting it once activation completes, crossing your fingers that no bad stuff gets in. You shouldn't browse the Internet with the computer unless you are someone who knows how to lock it down and turn off unnecessary services. It doesn't sound like you're in that category.

Most games and other software will still work on Windows 7. It's in the best interest of developers and publishers not to suddenly lock out people who still use Windows 7 when they want to sell them games. Eventually there may be new releases of games that only work on Windows 10, or may not be "supported" if you have a technical problem. That won't happen immediately though. Think about how many years new games were able to be played on Windows XP despite Microsoft supposedly no longer supporting it. Most developers won't want to drop support of Windows 7 unless they want to use a new game engine that doesn't work on Windows 7.

Depending on the age and specs of your computer, you may be better off buying a new one rather than trying to install Windows 10 on the old one.

Re: Windows 7 next year [Re: The Haze] #1190936
07/09/19 09:34 PM
07/09/19 09:34 PM
Sun City, AZ
Barry Offline
Addicted Boomer
Barry  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sun City, AZ
You can install Windows 10 with no problems. Just install it and download and install the free program Classic Shell. Classic Shell makes windows 10 look and act like Windows 7. You won't see any differences. A few weeks ago my motherboard fried on me. My son in law is an IT professional and he told me to do just as I suggested above. I now have a new Windows 10 Professional computer with 4x the speed and power of my blown one(2x ram to 8x ram now), a 4 core processor. a 500 GB internal hard drive and a 4 terabyte and 8 terabyte external hard drive

Regards,

Barry

I've seen God, and his name is iPad. Let us pray
yes, I do use my Hairbrush as a Microphone and Dance around in my Underwear. Thank you very much.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, 1 invisible), 318 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users