GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
The Hazard of re-Playing Older Games #1190450
07/04/19 06:13 PM
07/04/19 06:13 PM
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I just finished playing a game called Witches (sic) Legacy: Lair of the Witch Queen. I think it may have come out in 2014. It held up well, considering it is five years old, but it does have its moments of frustration. It is not always clear from the graphics what you are dealing with in a situation. Tools and Inventory often are "named" in ways that makes less sense and doesn't inform you of what they are and what their uses might be. There are many puzzles of good range of styles but they vary widely in difficulty from dead easy to "WTH?" Two of them did not work properly and had to be skipped.

If you enjoy finding Collectibles, there are both Morphing and a Puzzle Pieces in every scene. You need to find them in each scene almost before you do anything else (especially when working in close-up mode) because once you've completed the major tasks in a scene or a zoom-in scene, you will be blocked from going back and picking up any Collectibles you missed if you realize this is the case later. I thought I'd try to get them all in this game because the game was not difficult on its own, and missed only one out of more than 40 to find. At the end of the game, I could not work the final puzzle because of this single omission.

Despite my quibbles, I did enjoy replaying the game. I went for the CE version and the Bonus Game added to the story ("finished" it, actually) and was worth the extra cost. The game is complex, there is lots to do and many different locations to explore and problems to solve. There is a "character" that accompanies you that can help you execute many tasks, which lightened up the "witch" mood a bit. The characters are decently acted and graphics are good for an older game. If you turn down the music and sound effects, it is a fine game.

Re: The Hazard of re-Playing Older Games [Re: Reenie] #1190451
07/04/19 06:34 PM
07/04/19 06:34 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Hi Reenie, you should put a duplicate of this post into our Reviews and Recommendations thread as well - it would be helpful for players. smile

I like the Witches' Legacy series as well as other games from EleFun. EleFun will not be making any more HOPAs, at least for the foreseeable future. Their website says:

Currently we are switching towards the development of mobile f2p games.

On the bright side, at least they have left us a lot of games to enjoy. wave

Re: The Hazard of re-Playing Older Games [Re: Marian] #1190460
07/04/19 08:00 PM
07/04/19 08:00 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

They sure have! There are at least 11 games in that series that I know of, maybe more. I did not buy three of them because they were too darned easy during the Demo, and that just feels like "busy work." Of the others I played, Dark Throne and Lair of the Witch Queen and Rise of the Ancient were the standouts. Covered by Night also was excellent, long and complex, being marred only by being too easy to be challenging.

Re: The Hazard of re-Playing Older Games [Re: Reenie] #1190547
07/05/19 03:30 PM
07/05/19 03:30 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I don't find re-playing older games too hazardous myself, Reenie, because so many of them that I choose are before the monotonous onset of red eyes and black smoke !!

And hurrah for that dance

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: The Hazard of re-Playing Older Games [Re: Mad] #1190550
07/05/19 03:54 PM
07/05/19 03:54 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

bravo lol I agree, absolutely! It is part of the reason I'm in "Replay Mode" right now. I'm tired of being offered all the red-eyed demons and purple smoke, too. The other day, I was talking about why the game designers don't leave off with the steady diet of witches and demons taking over the world, and branch out into more realistic themes. For example, there is no reason they couldn't do a Dana Knightstone or Final Cut sort of HOAG, or even something humorous (Monkey Island-ish or Grim Fandango-ish). They all seem stuck in the same rut, repeating the same tired tropes and evil villains and runes and smoke. If not for my seven-year backlog of old games to replay, I'm not sure I would be playing at all.

Re: The Hazard of re-Playing Older Games [Re: Reenie] #1190551
07/05/19 04:07 PM
07/05/19 04:07 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
When I get fed up of such things, I will just "switch genre" as I also regularly play Adventures and RPG's.

But I don't think you do these days, Reenie ??

So definitely a good job you have such a big playlist of casuals to keep you happy yes

Re: The Hazard of re-Playing Older Games [Re: Mad] #1190564
07/05/19 06:19 PM
07/05/19 06:19 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

You are right, Mad. I played exclusively full-blown Adventure games, ever since the first King's Quest, Myst and Zork type games came out. I played almost everything that came out for about 25 years. I began to turn away from them when they forced on us all the RPG combat and high-learning-curve martial arts fighting/jumping/shooting. I don't buy games for that sort of experience. Besides, that sort of activity stress me out (I have a little heart thing that precludes me letting my pulse rate rise). I also got burned by a few games, at $25 to $45 a pop, that were unplayable for this reason. That put an end to them, for me. The last Adventure games I played were one that was something about a mysterious ghost-haunted town (with a great sequel) and the Ethan one.

The attraction to BF games is you can demo the game before you buy it. If I find the game play too stressful or if it has timed elements, I can back out of it and haven't paid for something I can't use. I miss those looooong stories that true Adventure games had, with real puzzles to solve and not a wisp of purple smoke to be seen. ha ha But yes, I have hundreds of casuals in my BF "bank," and about 50 of them are engaging enough to replay.

Re: The Hazard of re-Playing Older Games [Re: Reenie] #1190647
07/06/19 03:28 PM
07/06/19 03:28 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Whilst I've found I can cope with quite a few RPG's, I certainly can't cope with many of the FPS's out there eek

I mainly play Casuals when I feel I don't want to be too "brain taxed" lol
[Some Adventures and RPG's require such a great deal of concentration.]
And, as Casuals usually don't have a very complicated storyline, it's also easy to "pick up and carry on" with one whenever I feel like it - without having to backtrack.

So I suppose that's what the term "Casual" means for me !! A nice relaxing experience laugh

Re: The Hazard of re-Playing Older Games [Re: Mad] #1190649
07/06/19 04:24 PM
07/06/19 04:24 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted by Mad
And as casuals usually don't have a very complicated storyline, it's also easy to "pick up and carry on" with one whenever I feel like it - without having to backtrack.

So I suppose that's what the term "Casual" means for me !! A nice relaxing experience laugh

That's what makes the big difference to me. If I am away from an adventure game for a prolonged period of time, when I come back I often feel like I need to start over because I have lost sight of a lot of things. With a casual, I don't feel that way.

I am playing an adventure game right now and I must say that I really need to have my brain in gear in terms of remembering what has gone before, so I hope I don't get sidetracked before I finish it.

Re: The Hazard of re-Playing Older Games [Re: Marian] #1190650
07/06/19 04:27 PM
07/06/19 04:27 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Well GOOD LUCK Marian kissy

Re: The Hazard of re-Playing Older Games [Re: Reenie] #1190651
07/06/19 04:40 PM
07/06/19 04:40 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Thank you! smile

Re: The Hazard of re-Playing Older Games [Re: Marian] #1190653
07/06/19 05:34 PM
07/06/19 05:34 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I also like the fact that you can be playing a Casual and be interrupted without serious repercussions. Often, each scene in a Casual is pretty separate from what happens elsewhere; many scenes are visited once and then never again (sometimes, they even are "locked" on you). As for a serious Adventure game, you often need extensive notes or a tally of where you've been, what inventory you still need vs. what you've found and how it all ought to be used, and a list of what places you need to revisit. With a game like Anachronox, I had accumulated a 3-ring binder of notes, maps, tasks, and other essential info by the time I finished it! We once left on a month's vacation while I was playing a standard Adventure game, and when I came back I was faced with giving it up or starting it over. Fortunately, a lot of it came back as I re-Started, and I caught up, but there was a Lesson Learned in that experience! ha ha

As for how easy the Casuals are, there are some (my favorites) with some good story lines as well as pretty tasty puzzles that require me to get out sketch paper and colored pencils and sometimes a calculator. Those are my favorite games! If the game has puzzles that are too easy, I'll spot this in the Demo and bail. Just because I want a game I can walk away from and come back to, it doesn't mean I want it to be easy. happydance

BTW, I just discovered a couple of games I'd missed in the Dark Canvas series, and played the Demos for both. I bought one (Blood and Stone). It answered my desire for a game that had a more realistic, contemporary setting (Italian Riviera) and with not a hint of demonic possession nor purple smoke nor magic mumbo-jumbo. The puzzles in it vary from walk-in-the-park to challenging. I'm enjoying it. The other one (A Brush with Death) presented with all the same old tropes and I didn't buy it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 256 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users