GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Too dumb for adventure games? #119251
01/31/04 11:28 PM
01/31/04 11:28 PM
Australia
Ingrid Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Ingrid  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Australia
Aha! I've heard about right/left brain before and that there are exercises to train both sides. But beware, you know what happens when you exercise certain parts of your body - they shrink!

Ingrid
Re: Too dumb for adventure games? #119252
02/01/04 12:44 AM
02/01/04 12:44 AM
Body in California/Heart in Ha...
syd Offline
Adept Boomer
syd  Offline
Adept Boomer

Body in California/Heart in Ha...
So that's what happened to my bo... ahem, never mind laugh

Dark Side : Risen
Light Side:

I can only please one person a day. Today isn't your day. Tomorrow's not looking good either.
Re: Too dumb for adventure games? #119253
02/01/04 01:35 AM
02/01/04 01:35 AM
USA
Advpuzlov Offline
Addicted Boomer
Advpuzlov  Offline
Addicted Boomer

USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Becky:
When you think how hard it is just for all different kinds of people to communicate with each other and understand what everybody is trying to say---Think how hard it is to construct a puzzle that gives out clues in just the right way so that everybody can figure out how to solve it.

Some puzzles that are easy for one person are very difficult for another because people think differently, notice different things that may or may not be clues, and have different experiences that help them with the puzzle logic (or lack of logic!)

When you think about it, it's a kind of miracle to make it through a game without a walkthrough.
I'm not one for using walkthroughs. Sometimes in solving a "puzzle" I find it useful to try to "psych out" the puzzle designer. When all else fails, try that.

The fact that different people see things from a slightly different point of view makes it useful to play in parallel with another player. What one misses, the other often sees. That enables them both to avoid walkthroughs. Try playing with someone else. It's more fun that way, anyway!

Oh, and it is not a miracle to get through a game without a walkthrough, but it takes a lot of time and patience, and, sometimes, just plain dogged determination. Let's face it, it generally takes me a long time to finish a game. I probably only average a game a month, if that. And I wind up with a large 3-ring notebook full of notes on the game. Most players don't have that patience, and I don't blame them. They are in it for the fun! I am, too, but I suffer from a weird sort of curiosity and the sin of pride and, perhaps, a bit of masochism. laugh

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle
Re: Too dumb for adventure games? #119254
02/01/04 02:01 PM
02/01/04 02:01 PM
The Garden State
LadyKestrel Offline
Adept Boomer
LadyKestrel  Offline
Adept Boomer

The Garden State
Advpuzluv,
I have enjoyed playing a few games with a friend, and it does help to have another point of view. Of course, for those who play alone, Game Boomers serves the same purpose. There are lots of helpful friends here. smile

One thing about using a walkthrough is that a player often gets a case of tunnel vision and misses seeing other parts of the game. The person writing the walkthrough has experienced the pitfalls and wrong turns and is giving the best path to avoid mishaps. However, it can often lead a player to solving a puzzle before the need for solving it is apparent. For this reason, I like to take my time and explore thoroughly first in order to get the "feel" of a place. I have found by doing this and saving often, of course, that I can get through most (and often all) of a game without "peeking." That being said, I've found that I will use a walkthrough more often when mistakes lead to the premature end of the game, either by death or capture. In Traitors Gate I was getting captured every time I turned around, so I relied heavily on a walkthrough to get through that one.

Syd,
How did you manage to exercize them? On second thought, don't tell me! laugh

Lady K.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson
Re: Too dumb for adventure games? #119255
02/01/04 03:56 PM
02/01/04 03:56 PM
Australia
Ingrid Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Ingrid  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Australia
With this Nancy Drew game I'm determined to get through without cheats and WT or at least keep them to a minimum. I've noticed that with a WT I get very lazy and impatient, i.e. why listen carefully to dialogues and look at everything closely when I have all the answers right in front of me. This has lead to game endings where I had no idea what the story was about and an overall feeling of dissatifaction and let-down. So I'm really missing the point of the game and wasted time and money.
I think its a great idea to play with a partner and compare progress in the game.

Ingrid
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Pandora), 353 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users