GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198098
10/01/19 11:36 PM
10/01/19 11:36 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Yeah, since there is no way to know what it was, it's hard to tell. I have a WiFi router and I have a USB WiFi adapter on my desktop. I set up my WiFi router with a password. My computer "sees" the WiFi network and I enter the password. It connects and I tell it to connect automatically and that is the last time I have to enter the password.

Whenever anyone comes here and wants to connect to my network, they just plug in and enter the password and it works.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198099
10/02/19 01:13 AM
10/02/19 01:13 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Well, I just went online and cancelled the appointment. I may try the other equipment I have or I may not but I will feel better having the new computer set up before I have AT&T out here. I will need a chance to see what Windows 10 looks like first.

Maybe if/when I call back I will get somebody who will listen to me and who I can understand.

My biggest fear is that I will not be able to have internet service for some stupid reason and will have wasted a LOT of money on a computer that won't be of any use. It is one of the things I was worrying about all year while looking at computer components. I am not excited about this computer at all because it has been already, and will still be, so much work. I hope someday when it is all set up with all my stuff and everything works, I will be able to enjoy it! I still don't know exactly where it is going.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198121
10/02/19 08:26 AM
10/02/19 08:26 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Why would it be so much work? And why wouldn't you be able to have internet service? I'm kind of puzzled. Now, if you continue to use equipment that overheats, you definitely may end up with no internet.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198140
10/02/19 10:48 AM
10/02/19 10:48 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by oldbroad
When I set up the internet in 2011, I set it up on my other Windows 7 which no longer works. But I did have to make some kind of network connection with this computer using a USB key (I think) and I'm pretty sure there was a password involved. It did not just plug in and work. Unfortunately, I don't really remember HOW it worked.

I'm going to guess that the USB key contained software to set up the connection between the router and the modem. Router and modem settings normally include a password. But once everything is set up, you don't need that password to connect one or more computers to the router if you're using a cable.

I tried the other unused modem (but not with the other unused router). The modem never connected to my computer and I didn't know if I was supposed to do something in the computer or what and was afraid to mess around with it for fear of totally losing internet.

You don't want to connect a computer directly to the modem without that router in between. The router should already be set up to automatically connect to any computer that is attached by an ethernet cable. So you have to either use DHCP (automatic connection) or, if you use a static connection instead of DHCP, you have to tell the computer what IP number, what gateway, and what DNS server to use. Normally the only reason to use a static connection is if you're operating a server, so by default a new computer will be configured to use DHCP when you're connecting with a cable.

You should be able to connect as many computers to the router as it has ethernet ports. Or if your router only has one ethernet port, you can connect an internet switch to the router, like one of ***these***. A switch doesn't require any special configuration.

+_+_+_+_+_+

Considering your trouble with maintaining a connection, you might be having a problem we used to have where I live. Our phone lines (the lines in our neighborhood, not specifically on our property) were old and weren't capable of sustaining the bandwidth that AT&T was advertising. We had to change our service to slower bandwidth to prevent it from disconnecting. I think it was 28mbps that we started with and we had to go down to 12mbps. Eventually AT&T switched to fiber in our neighborhood and the limitation went away, but while we still had old-fashioned copper wiring we weren't able to get faster than 12mbps. A steady connection at 12mbps is infinitely better than a connection at a faster speed that is disconnecting all the time.

Of course if your modem is actually heating up, it should be replaced. They aren't supposed to get hot and that may be why your connection is disconnecting. But old copper wires also slowly get worse, so it's something you should ask the AT&T guy about when he comes to check your house -- whether using a slower connection would improve stability.

There is no benefit whatsoever to waiting until your new computer comes before having someone from AT&T come out to check your connection. The new computer won't magically work with a bad connection.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: Jenny100] #1198143
10/02/19 11:38 AM
10/02/19 11:38 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Originally Posted by Jenny100
When I set up the internet in 2011, I set it up on my other Windows 7 which no longer works. But I did have to make some kind of network connection with this computer using a USB key (I think) and I'm pretty sure there was a password involved. It did not just plug in and work. Unfortunately, I don't really remember HOW it worked.

I'm going to guess that the USB key contained software to set up the connection between the router and the modem. Router and modem settings normally include a password. But once everything is set up, you don't need that password to connect one or more computers to the router if you're using a cable.

Well, I very probably did something wrong but I DID use the USB key and I believe a password on this second computer connection, not just on the original computer set up.

I tried the other unused modem (but not with the other unused router). The modem never connected to my computer and I didn't know if I was supposed to do something in the computer or what and was afraid to mess around with it for fear of totally losing internet.

You don't want to connect a computer directly to the modem without that router in between. The router should already be set up to automatically connect to any computer that is attached by an ethernet cable. So you have to either use DHCP (automatic connection) or, if you use a static connection instead of DHCP, you have to tell the computer what IP number, what gateway, and what DNS server to use. Normally the only reason to use a static connection is if you're operating a server, so by default a new computer will be configured to use DHCP when you're connecting with a cable.

I didn't try to connect direct to the modem. It was hooked up to the router and all lit up properly, but no connection apparently with my computer.

You should be able to connect as many computers to the router as it has ethernet ports. Or if your router only has one ethernet port, you can connect an internet switch to the router, like one of ***these***. A switch doesn't require any special configuration.

+_+_+_+_+_+

Considering your trouble with maintaining a connection, you might be having a problem we used to have where I live. Our phone lines (the lines in our neighborhood, not specifically on our property) were old and weren't capable of sustaining the bandwidth that AT&T was advertising. We had to change our service to slower bandwidth to prevent it from disconnecting. I think it was 28mbps that we started with and we had to go down to 12mbps. Eventually AT&T switched to fiber in our neighborhood and the limitation went away, but while we still had old-fashioned copper wiring we weren't able to get faster than 12mbps. A steady connection at 12mbps is infinitely better than a connection at a faster speed that is disconnecting all the time.

Of course if your modem is actually heating up, it should be replaced. They aren't supposed to get hot and that may be why your connection is disconnecting. But old copper wires also slowly get worse, so it's something you should ask the AT&T guy about when he comes to check your house -- whether using a slower connection would improve stability.

There is no benefit whatsoever to waiting until your new computer comes before having someone from AT&T come out to check your connection. The new computer won't magically work with a bad connection.

I feel it is the equipment now. What annoys me is that AT&T tried to push it on me before when that wasn't the problem but now they won't send me new equipment without somebody coming out here. I am not going to try to hook this connection up to the new computer but what good is it going to do to have AT&T out here when I don't even have the new computer set up. If they fix something it will only be on this computer and then I still have to try to figure out how to connect the new computer. Maybe they will bring the equipment and set it up for me. That is what I was told 2 years ago. That somebody (probably) has to set it up for me. Ideally, they will just send me the equipment and let me try to figure it out myself. I can always call them back out if I need help with it.

Draclvr, I just find the whole process, physically and mentally exhausting as most things in my life are these days. Like I've said before, what seems easy to one or even most people is not always so easy for another.

Sorry, I messed up my replies to the quoted stuff so they are mixed in there.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198147
10/02/19 12:11 PM
10/02/19 12:11 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I guess I just feel so bad that this is difficult for you and I can't help! This is the point I was trying to make... From Jenny who said it much better!

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198149
10/02/19 12:21 PM
10/02/19 12:21 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
The benefit is to my peace of mind. Tackling one thing at a time. Trying not to overwhelm myself.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198151
10/02/19 12:27 PM
10/02/19 12:27 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Then that's good enough right there!

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198156
10/02/19 12:49 PM
10/02/19 12:49 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Well, I very probably did something wrong but I DID use the USB key and I believe a password on this second computer connection, not just on the original computer set up.

You probably logged into the modem and router settings when you used the software on the USB key.
The software may make setup easier, but it also obscures what you're actually doing and where settings are being held.

I didn't try to connect direct to the modem. It was hooked up to the router and all lit up properly, but no connection apparently with my computer.

I tried the other unused modem (but not with the other unused router)"

Did you use the software on the USB key to make sure your router could communicate with the "other unused modem." If the router and the modem aren't set up to communicate with each other, you're not going to get to the Internet. Also if the modem can't maintain a stable connection over Internet because of bad wires in your neighborhood, it wouldn't matter if you did go into the router and modem settings and make sure they were set up to communicate with each other.

What annoys me is that AT&T tried to push it on me before when that wasn't the problem but now they won't send me new equipment without somebody coming out here.

They may have learned by experience. The new equipment may be more difficult to configure because of increased security, and they've had too many problems leaving configuration up to the customer.

I am not going to try to hook this connection up to the new computer but what good is it going to do to have AT&T out here when I don't even have the new computer set up. If they fix something it will only be on this computer and then I still have to try to figure out how to connect the new computer.

If they actually fix the problem, it will definitely NOT be "only on this computer." It will be fixed and working on every computer connected to your router. If your router/modem is set up and working properly, and your wiring is adequate, all you'd have to do is connect the new computer to the router with the ethernet cable. Everything should work automatically. You can put up with bad service until the new computer arrives, or you can wait until the new computer arrives and is set up. The difference is that the longer you wait, the longer it will take before they can diagnose your problem and fix it.

If they replace your hot modem and you still have problems with disconnecting, and the wiring in your neighborhood is old, remember what I said before about asking about slower Internet speeds.

I just find the whole process, physically and mentally exhausting as most things in my life are these days. Like I've said before, what seems easy to one or even most people is not always so easy for another.

I would guess setting up routers and modems is not easy for most people. Which is why AT&T wants to send someone to your house instead of just sending the equipment.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198160
10/02/19 01:14 PM
10/02/19 01:14 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
"Did you use the software on the USB key to make sure your router could communicate with the "other unused modem." If the router and the modem aren't set up to communicate with each other, you're not going to get to the Internet. Also if the modem can't maintain a stable connection over Internet because of bad wires in your neighborhood, it wouldn't matter if you did go into the router and modem settings and make sure they were set up to communicate with each other. "

No, I did not know to do that and didn't want to mess around too much for fear of losing my connection permanently (you know, until somebody would come out).

"If they actually fix the problem, it will definitely NOT be "only on this computer." It will be fixed and working on every computer connected to your router. If your router/modem is set up and working properly, and your wiring is adequate, all you'd have to do is connect the new computer to the router with the ethernet cable. Everything should work automatically."

This didn't seem to be the case for me when I set up this computer that I'm on now (though as stated maybe I did something I didn't really have to do with the USB key and password). If what you are saying is true, then I can still just connect the ethernet cable from the current router to the new computer and I will have a internet connection (though I will still lose connection if it is my modem that is bad). I guess I may try to test that once the new computer is set up. OR, maybe with the unused but still old equipment (router and modem together) if I can figure it out again. Then I can go from there.

Yes, getting this done quicker sounds good but I cannot deal with the problems of setting up the new computer and worrying about the internet at the same time. I need to do it step by step.

"I would guess setting up routers and modems is not easy for most people. Which is why AT&T wants to send someone to your house instead of just sending the equipment."

I think this is true that they believe people need the help but that is all the more reason I'd rather have the new computer set up so they can just do it on there. They did not say though that they were sending new equipment with the person, just that they needed to come out and "look" at everything. Much as I dread doing it, I will call back after I see what's what with the new computer.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198166
10/02/19 01:59 PM
10/02/19 01:59 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
If you connect the new computer to the old equipment, you will have the same problems you are having now. This is not dependent on which computer is connected, but rather on old malfunctioning equipment.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198168
10/02/19 02:08 PM
10/02/19 02:08 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Yes, I understand that Draclvr. I mean just to SEE if it connects but not to keep it connected to this old equipment. If, however, I am able to connect the unused older equipment, I would leave that connected to see how it goes; find out whether it also has the same problem or not, and then go from there.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198170
10/02/19 03:01 PM
10/02/19 03:01 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
My biggest fear is that I will not be able to have internet service for some stupid reason and will have wasted a LOT of money on a computer that won't be of any use. It is one of the things I was worrying about all year while looking at computer components. I am not excited about this computer at all because it has been already, and will still be, so much work. I hope someday when it is all set up with all my stuff and everything works, I will be able to enjoy it! I still don't know exactly where it is going.

Is the new computer ONLY for Internet and not for games?
Have you already ordered it?
I remember at one point you were interested in a squarish one.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198171
10/02/19 03:10 PM
10/02/19 03:10 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
The computer is for everything. Internet and gaming. That's basically my everything. No internet would basically mean no gaming though as you need internet to download the games.

It is actually out for delivery today.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198179
10/02/19 03:47 PM
10/02/19 03:47 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I hope you like your new computer, oldbroad. Fingers crossed that things work out well for you without too much hassle.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198180
10/02/19 03:50 PM
10/02/19 03:50 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
And please feel free to contact me through email for any assistance with Windows 10. I can do Windows 10 in my sleep and have helped at least 7 people get started in it.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198181
10/02/19 04:00 PM
10/02/19 04:00 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
It is actually out for delivery today.

How exciting!
Hope you can get it set up quickly so you can play.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198182
10/02/19 04:05 PM
10/02/19 04:05 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Thank you Marian, Draclvr, and Jenny!

I will certainly update you!

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198205
10/02/19 08:00 PM
10/02/19 08:00 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Maybe you're not, but I'm kinda excited!

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198304
10/03/19 06:58 PM
10/03/19 06:58 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
How's it going?
Did your new friend arrive as scheduled?

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198307
10/03/19 07:37 PM
10/03/19 07:37 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline OP
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline OP
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I received the computer yesterday but haven't even opened the box yet. I'm still clearing my kitchen table and hoping I might be able to put it there. I was going to put the XP there but may just put this one there.

Also, still waiting for the cable for the monitor hook up. I ordered it Tuesday. It's supposed to be here by 8:00 tonight but the tracking info still doesn't show it shipped. I do not like the way Amazon does stuff now. I prefer the days of FedEx 2 day shipment.

Cable NOT received. Was going to Amazon to complain but apparently at most latest time it should have been delivered they updated the order to "delayed". I'm telling you, Amazon has gotten too big for their britches.

Last edited by oldbroad; 10/03/19 08:37 PM.
Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198330
10/04/19 08:41 AM
10/04/19 08:41 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I live out in the middle of nowhere, relatively speaking, and Amazon does an amazing job of getting things to us here quickly - we even get next day delivery sometimes which I never thought would be possible. Depending upon where you are located and numerous other factors, though, I understand that your mileage may vary.

When you do open the box, oldbroad, I am interested in hearing about your new computer.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198332
10/04/19 08:52 AM
10/04/19 08:52 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Same here with Amazon... I live out in the country and the only time their next day or 2 day delivery has failed is when a third party seller doesn't ship quickly. I always try to make sure items and "fulfilled by Amazon."

I'm also anxious to hear about the new computer!

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198348
10/04/19 11:27 AM
10/04/19 11:27 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Apparently you get better service from Amazon if you live "out in the country."
I live in a town and have none of the advantages of living "out in the country."

This year Amazon's service has gone down the cr@pper.
If you have "Amazon Prime" and buy an item direct listed as "in stock" and coming from Amazon with 2-day service, it can take anywhere from one day to two weeks or more to receive the item.

I bought two of an item. Because the "Amazon" listing said they only had one in stock, I made sure to buy from one of the sellers who didn't have that limitation. So what happens? I am sent the one from Amazon instead of the seller I ordered from, I'm charged for two when I only receive one, never receive the 2nd one, and have to contact their "help" to be sent the second one because they have no option on their "problems with your order" page for missing items or being sent the wrong number of items.

I'm still waiting for a refund on a damaged item I returned two months ago. I've used their "help" four different times trying to get the problem worked out. Apparently the customer service people don't have the access to do their jobs. I first asked for a replacement, and a week later nothing has arrived. I contact Amazon help and they say I'm down for a refund instead. I don't receive a refund and I contact Amazon help again. This person can't tell if I was sent a replacement or a refund, but tries to help. First I get an email saying I'll be refunded some strange amount of money that's roughly half what I paid for the item. I contact help again to say it's the wrong amount. The rep sort of sighs and asks how much refund I want. I say I want the amount I paid for the item. I receive an email saying I'm receiving the correct amount of refund, only for a completely different item that I purchased that cost four times as much. Who knows if they're expecting me to return that item. Amazon is a mess, and if you have to wait a couple of extra days for an item, just be glad nothing worse happened.

I've actually given up on items that were "delayed" but still listed as "in stock" on the Amazon page with the item. I've had more luck cancelling the original order after two weeks and re-ordering the item (which shows up on schedule two days later). I think their website software is bugged, along with who knows what else behind the scenes.

Amazon desperately needs competition.

Re: Hard Drives [Re: oldbroad] #1198350
10/04/19 11:42 AM
10/04/19 11:42 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Wow, Jenny, your experiences are certainly nothing like mine.

And in the last year I have called Customer Service three or four times and all was A+ in my book in terms of responsiveness and resolution of the issue.

I also have Amazon Prime and everything has arrived when it was promised.

I wonder why the disparities.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (dianne, soot, seagul, curly), 684 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users