GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please #1211277
02/29/20 08:46 AM
02/29/20 08:46 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Hi community,

so I am playing this really difficult game 'Discworld' and I am really stuck in act 2. Even though I am in the hint
section of the forum, i do NOT want any hint other than answers to my questions.
So please not even the tiniest one, please. Please answer me only the following questions
without any further hints,always basically only saying 'yes' or 'no' kind of answers. Thanks!
All questions are about act 2, so here we go:

1. In front of the house which is called 'Inn' on the map, there is a butterfly in the bottom left corner.
When I hover the mouse pointer over it, it displays 'butterfly'. This usually happens when you can interact with an object,
for example using an item from your inventory with it. But here when I use any object with it, nothing happens.
Normally it says 'That doesn't work', or some other feedback. Here nothing. I was wondering: is this a bug or not?
Is there any object that you can use on that butterfly (if yes, please don't tell me which object!). I have successfully
done things with other butterflies at other places, so I am wondering if this is a bug. If one has to do other things
(for example do something different somewhere else to move the butterfly to some other place,please don't tell me so. I only want to make sure
that it is correct, that I don't get any feedback from the game when double--clicking an item on the butterfly or if that is a bug
and something is supposed to happen when i click on it.

2. Similar thing is at the palace, I cannot get inside. On the bottom, right corner, you can see a man trying to climb the cliff to the palace,
but when I hover over that guy, nothing happens. No words pop up on the screen and no feedback at all when trying to use an object on the man.
It is as if i am clicking on some random space on the screen as if the man were not there.
Is this the techniially correct behaviour of the game? Also, when I talk to the two guards who won't let me in.side the palace
Sometimes the speech says '-------------' (i turned speech display on in the seetings), instead of some sentence. Is that a bug or not?

3. Second to last thing: In act 1, one had to get the wizard staff by switching it with a broom. One had to click at the right time
(when the wizard was grabbing some food) to be successful. I tried many, many times and it did not work.
Only after twenty tries it worked. So, I am a bit concerned and my question is if in act 2 there is a similar thing were the timing is crucial.
The thing that comes to mind, for example, is the donkey. It pulls some faces from time to time and maybe one has to do something at the
right time. I am asking because at one time I used the ladder with something on the screen at the donkey s place and Rincewind said something like
'Do you want to step outside' (I am not sure to whom he said it, maybe to the donkey). But no matter where i click with the ladder
on the screen, I do not get this sentence anymore and the first time I did not pay attention close enough to track when exactly it happened.
So, please tell me if some timing with the donkey is involved (only yes or no please) and if there is another place where timing is crucial.

4. Does the offical manuel reveal anything about the pouch one has at the start of the game. I cant figure out its purpose.
I bought the game on ebay without the manual. Please only tell me things that are mentioned in the manual,
so only game mechanics, but no hint.

Please, please do not spoil the game to me by revealing more than basically yes or no. Right now, I am trying to
solve the game without hints (I don't consider the questions above as real hints). But honestly, I am close to giving up,
this game seems to be too hard to solve without a walkthrough. I feel like I used almost every object everywhere and I am stuck, so maybe in
a few days, I will resort to a walkthrough. This is kind of my last try to check if there is no bug or if it is a timing issue somewhere.
Then I will try 1.2 more days and then use a walkthrough if I do not progress wink

Many, many thanks for anyone who can help me,
Mike

Last edited by mike_bn; 02/29/20 08:55 AM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211295
02/29/20 12:23 PM
02/29/20 12:23 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I would find it rather difficult to provide such a simple form of help - even though I've played all three Discworld games many times.
I absolutely LOVE the games but many of the puzzles do have quite complicated solutions so perhaps a visit to the UHS site would be most beneficial ?? yes

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211305
02/29/20 01:11 PM
02/29/20 01:11 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I can't offer any answer as I've never played these games but I'd like to say that I really admire HOW you play!!

luck

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211318
02/29/20 03:01 PM
02/29/20 03:01 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I played the games many, many years ago and don't remember such details as those that you mention, unfortunately. My son actually got through Discworld without looking at any hints or a walkthrough, which amazes me to this day.

I agree with Mad that many of the puzzle solutions are complicated and multi-step, so I would not risk answering your questions based on a cursory look at the walkthrough, as it could well be misleading.

Maybe someone will come along with very good and recent memories of the game. Good luck. smile

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211545
03/02/20 04:58 PM
03/02/20 04:58 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Thanks for replying , Mad,oldbroad and Marian! :-) Too bad noone could help me out so far frown

@Mad: I am not at the point where i want to use UHS, this would be 'real' hints, currently I just want to make
sure that I don't have a bug or whether it is a timing thing that keeps me from progressing
So, even though you played the game multiple times, you cannot remember whether it was possible to use objects
with that butterfly in front of the inn or whether that man in front of the palace is clickable? Or dont you want to
reveal it because it cannot be done without giving a hint?

@oldbraod: thanks for the compliment :-) That is nice to hear, I am wondering what exactly do you like about my playing style?

@Marian: yes, ALL reviews I read mention that the puzzles are super-hard, mainly because of lack of in-game-clues
and rather obscure solutions - that doesn't sound good frown Too bad, because other than that, I like the game a lot.
I am not saying that to criticize you, but I just don't get why multi-step puzzles make it impossible to answer my questions.
To me, they sound pretty basic. If something is clickable or not is not a matter if that action is part of a multi-step or not, right?
But i trust your judgement, if you think your answers could be misleading, than it is a good decision to not say anything

(strikethrough because i missed your sentence stating that you dont remember these details, sorry!)

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/02/20 05:17 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211550
03/02/20 05:36 PM
03/02/20 05:36 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I just like that you really try (and sounds like you usually succeed) to solve the puzzles by yourself. Sometimes when I am really stuck I think it is a game glitch (or dead end), so I know what and why you are asking that. No sense continuing to try something if it is useless to do so, but if you know it is not a glitch, you will just keep trying until you get it. I often wish I had not consulted a walkthrough when I see the answer, but these days I just want to play somewhat peacefully and not be stuck forever.

Good luck!

Last edited by oldbroad; 03/02/20 05:37 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: oldbroad] #1211570
03/02/20 09:30 PM
03/02/20 09:30 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
A solution to one puzzle in these games often involves part of a solution to another puzzle. That's why I suggested UHS. Because even though I have played the games several times I can't remember the intricate detail you ask for. Sorry.

I didn't have walkthroughs when I played them and just had to keep on trying ideas over and over till I hit on the right one.

Time consuming I know but in the end very satisfying yes

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211692
03/04/20 03:08 PM
03/04/20 03:08 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Hi all, ok thanks again for the feedback. I guess I will try for 1-2 more days and if i don't progress, I will give up
and check UHS.

@oldbroad: I am impressed. You accurately guessed my style of play based on just one post ;-)
One slight correction though: As I am getting older (I am 46 now) I have become a bit less persistent, I tend to
give up and use a walkthough a bit sooner than when i was younger. Until 2-3 years ago, I was very stubborn to not look
look up solutions, and yes, I usually suceeded without help: I solved many, many games without any walkthrough
and it is incredibly satisfying, especially when you were seriously stuck before. But these days, I simply neither have the time
nor the patience anymore to wait until i find the solution. I think I still wait longer than the average gamer, but not that long as before :-)

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/04/20 03:09 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211697
03/04/20 04:03 PM
03/04/20 04:03 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I am a VERY LOT older than you, mike_bn, but I also have less persistence than I once had for "getting to the bitter end" without the use of any help.
Sad but true !! whistle
So rather than not finish a game that is driving me to distraction, but is one that I like, I will eventually cave in and either ask for help or peek at a hint or walkthrough rolleyes

Last edited by Mad; 03/04/20 04:04 PM.

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211705
03/04/20 05:33 PM
03/04/20 05:33 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I am closing in on 62 and started gaming late. I have so many games I want to play that I just don't see the need to stay stuck for too long in one game. How long I keep trying often depends on the game and the puzzle. Some I don't care about as much as others. To quote part of Mad's sentence "rather than not finish a game", I will ask for hints here or look at a walkthrough. The problem with that is, once you start looking, it's hard to stop.

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211876
03/07/20 12:24 PM
03/07/20 12:24 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

@Mad, oldbroad: I think its really, really cool that you are still playing games at your age. This is exactly
what a very close friend of mine and I plan to do. Your case, oldbroad, is quite fascinating. Its not suprising
to me that people who got into gaming when they were young keep playing even in their 60ties or so.
But getting hooked into gaming when you are older with no previous gaming experience is pretty unusual.
My parents always shake their head when the topic of playing adventures comes up. For them its a total mystery
how this could be fun, they have no idea what beautiful elements the world of adventure gaming encompasses.
Even though I am pretty good at making my points/explaining things, I fail miserably when I try to make them understand
why its such a great hobby to have.

Regarding Discworld, i made progress without a walkthrough! :-) Its so satisfying. I just missed one item that is
essential at the state I was at. I now was part of the ritual to summon the dragon. Really cool smile

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/07/20 12:26 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211881
03/07/20 01:34 PM
03/07/20 01:34 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I hope I didn't give the impression that I JUST started gaming. I started, I think, when I was around 44 or so. I worked full time though and didn't have much time to play (like most of us). Two years ago I stopped working and am trying to play catch up now. When I first joined Gameboomers I thought I must be one of the oldest people playing games, hence my "oldbroad" name. I found out just how wrong I was about that!

I am happy for you that you found what you needed to move forward in Discworld. That is often my problem. I miss that one item wink

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: oldbroad] #1211887
03/07/20 02:11 PM
03/07/20 02:11 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Glad you made good progress, mike_bn. It's a great game, isn't it ?? smile

Are you going to play the two others in the series ??

[Discworld Noir is quite different but still excellent thumbsup]

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211931
03/08/20 06:31 AM
03/08/20 06:31 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

@oldnroad: Ah, ok, so you started in your forties. I actually thought you had started maybe in your fifties ;-)
So there are many older gamers around here at gameboomers? Nice, I always thought I would be one of the older ones here :-)

@Mad: Yes, so far I really, really like this game. I think it is one of the 10-15 best point and clicks I have played so far.
10-15 doesn't sound that great at first, but that is actually very high, in my opinion. I guess there are at least 100 point and click games
out there (maybe even much more, If you include freeware games/fangames, probably thousands) and being in the top 10% is pretty good, imo.

In general, the more I like a game, the more I am motivated to try
solving it without help of a walkthrough. In this case, the task seems daunting because in EVERY review I have read so far, it is mentioned
that the game is super-hard because of many obscure puzzles without any in-game clues. This doesn't sound good and
to be honest that would make me like the game much less. So far, I don't quite agree with these reviews: the puzzles I encountered
so far were not that obscure/random. The nature of point&click basically is finding the right item combinations and so far most
of them made sense and could be found by thinking or at least with 'reasonable guessing' (I am not sure if this expression makes
sense in english). I only had very few cases where I only progressed by using every item in my inventory with some spot on the screen
without having a clue whether something would or would not work (The reason I was stuck for a long time and that made me create my first post was that
I missed an item in the bar, which simply meant I was not observant enough)
But I am only at the first 50% of act 2 and maybe it gets much worse from now on. We will see. right now, I am stuck again, but
haven't been for a long time. I have none of the gold items so far, but taking part in the dragon ritual triggered quite a few things
and i can now access the palace again, go into the shades and also could see the doctor/pychotherapist. I also collected a few new items.
Currently I am looking for a way to steal the belt from a guy on the toilet and also I am looking for milk :-)

And I will definitely play the other two DW games as well. I already own DW II.

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/08/20 06:42 AM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211943
03/08/20 12:56 PM
03/08/20 12:56 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
mike_bn, you are a youngster in gaming here. I am a 72 year-old great grandma and still playing shooters, RPGs and adventure games. I build my own computers to keep up with the more demanding games.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: Draclvr] #1211945
03/08/20 02:08 PM
03/08/20 02:08 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
And I am older still lol
But there are Gameboomer members still adventuring etc who are in their late 80's and beyond - which is a path I hope to tread myself hamster

And I think you will find that there are many more than 100+ point & click PC adventure games available.
Some need a little help to be playable on modern machines but they are certainly out there thumbsup

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211956
03/08/20 03:29 PM
03/08/20 03:29 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Have fun with the game mike_bn and keep us posted on your progress. Sounds like you have figured out how the puzzles in the game work and are doing quite well with the game so far. praise

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1211998
03/09/20 06:22 AM
03/09/20 06:22 AM
The Netherlands, Groningen
FlyingDutchman42 Offline
Settled Boomer
FlyingDutchman42  Offline
Settled Boomer

The Netherlands, Groningen
I am 57 and never thought that Mad was older than 60 (at most) .... duh wave

Rob sherlock (without any clue, as usual!)

Last edited by FlyingDutchman42; 03/09/20 06:27 AM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: FlyingDutchman42] #1212023
03/09/20 12:54 PM
03/09/20 12:54 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
At 78 I'm a bit older than that, Rob!! eek

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213122
03/23/20 03:06 PM
03/23/20 03:06 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Hi all,

I wanted to post earlier, but I fell sick for 2 weeks and I only continued Discworld in the last coupole of days.
Before we come to that, let me first say that I really, really like the fact that so many older gamers are around here
at gameboomers. I love that! :-) @Mad, Draclvr, oldborad: I think its super-cool to still be passionate
about adventures when one gets older (it hopefully will be the same for me) . For the ones of you who have
grandchildren: you must be the coolest grandma/grandfather for them ever :-) I had a really good
relationship with my grandmother and the thought of her playing adventures - that thought makes me smile (and also miss her)
I am curious: so who is the oldest here - Mad with 78?

@oldbroad: you asked about updating you about my progress so here it is: I was really, really stuck for a long time
in act 2 (where you had to get 6 pieces of gold), mainly because i missed two hot-spots. I was so close to look into
a walkthrough. But I did not and cannot help but to brag about that i am in act 3 now without looking up a walkthrough
and I am still determined to solve this game completely on my own. We will see how it goes ;-)
Gamewise, i LOVED act 2. Yes, the game has the big weakness that you sometimes have to use weird item combinations
you simply cannot guess based on logic or in-game clues and you have to brute.force from time to time. Normally that pisses
me off , but this game has so much charm that I somehow manage to forgive the game that flaw. The story is nice, the cutscenes
are brilliant (i had to lol quite a lot) and I don't know, overall i just like the game (and that means something, because normally
I am more into myst/riven-kind of games)

But guys, this time I really need your help. NOT a hint of course, but I need to check something.
In act 2 the game had a few minor bugs, but this time, in act 3 I defintiley have two major bugs and I need
feedback if this prevents me to be able to solve the game.
The problem is that in the library, when I try to talk to the ape, the normal window comes up with the
4 default talk icons (mouth, question mark, cloud, joker). In addition to these icons, there is an additional symbol
in the form of an 'L' (which most likely stands for L-space). This symbol clearly tells me that one is supposed
to talk to the ape. I am guessing Rincewind would ask the ape what happened to the L-space, because the door
is closed, so I cannot go back in the past anymore (which is probably ok because the past probably was only meant for
act2). But still it mightt possible that it is mandadory to talk to trigger something else.
But the problem is ALL icions (4 default icons and the L-icon) are not clickable!!! :-(
So i get no feedback, nothing. Its like clicking on some random irrelevant sport. This clearly is a bug, because why
does the talk window open with a special icon then?
The exact same thing I have with the chimney guy on the roof. Only difference is that there is no special icon,
just the 4 default ones. so maybe that is not so bad here, but the thing with the ape worries me.

PLEASE, PLEASE don't tell me something like 'You need to give the ape item X first,then you can talk to him' or any other info
that might be taken as a hint. Please just tell me whether you think this is a problem or not (maybe because your version had the same bugs
and it did not make the game unsolvable),.

So does anyone remember these two bugs? If not, could anyone look in the walkthrough and check if this might be a problem or not? Please?
Again, please no hints, as I mentioned I would like to try solving the game without any hint (I know I am obsessing about that
a bit too much, but well, its just the way I feel about the game right now :-) )

Help would be really appreciated,
Mike

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/23/20 03:17 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213123
03/23/20 03:16 PM
03/23/20 03:16 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
They haven't posted for a while, but I know of at least two GameBoomers who were posting in the Hints forum who were 90.

I played the game a long time ago and don't remember experiencing any bugs or other problems.

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213126
03/23/20 03:30 PM
03/23/20 03:30 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Glad you're feeling better and back at the game. I was wondering how it was going.

I hope Marian's response renews your endeavor!

Looking at a walkthrough and finding out you missed a hot spot is the pits. I hate that and it is something that happens to me a lot!

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213127
03/23/20 04:10 PM
03/23/20 04:10 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

90? Are you kidding me? I mean, that's unbelievable :-)

Actually, Marians response worries me. He/She likely would remember the two big bugs i was describing (not able to
click the talk icons even though one clearly should be able to click them). That means I probabaly have a buggy version
which is unsolvable. But I cannot risk looking at a walktrhough myself, because then clearly I would read hints, which
I don't want. Has anybody the game currently installed? I could provide my savefile, then it would only be
a matter of 2minutes to check if it is nornal or not (I don't think the bug would be in the savefile)

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/23/20 04:11 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213128
03/23/20 04:13 PM
03/23/20 04:13 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

@oldbroad: maybe there is a misunderstanding because english is not my first language: So far, I did not look
at a walktrhough, I solved all on my own. And in act 3 i have many things to try, I am not worrying about missing a hot spot right now.
I am only worried that my game's two bugs might make the game not solvable. This I want to rule out. So the best
scenario would be that someone would respond something like 'I could not talk to these two persons ( the chimney guy and the ape) as well
(even though the talk window pops up when double-clicking on them). Don't worry, the game can still be solved without talking to them'

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/23/20 04:20 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213129
03/23/20 04:23 PM
03/23/20 04:23 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I would not worry too much about my response; I played the game back in 1995, the year it was released. That is a very long time ago to try to remember this kind of specific about the game.

Marian (a she, and 65 years old on Friday. My first adventure game was played in 1982). wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 252 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users