GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213130
03/23/20 04:27 PM
03/23/20 04:27 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I know you didn't look at the walkthrough. I was referring to you saying that you were stuck for so long due to missing a couple of hot spots and that you came so close to looking. That would have been the worst, looking at the walkthrough only to see that you had missed a hot spot.

I'm thinking that Marian not encountering any bugs means you should keep looking around. She seems to have a pretty good memory from what I can tell!

As I stated earlier I don't have the game so I can't help that way. frown

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: oldbroad] #1213136
03/23/20 06:18 PM
03/23/20 06:18 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I have the original released and "tweaked for modern machines" versions for all the Discworld games and have played them all.
[Although not recently enough to remember much intricate detail.]

But I can honestly say I never encountered a game stopping bug in any of them.

My advice would be to just carry on persevering as you seem to be doing so well !! thumbsup

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213175
03/23/20 11:09 PM
03/23/20 11:09 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Uncle Reg Offline
Settled Boomer
Uncle Reg  Offline
Settled Boomer

Virginia Beach, VA

I turned 79 last November 5th.

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: Uncle Reg] #1213181
03/24/20 12:07 AM
03/24/20 12:07 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
So ... Older than me, eh, Uncle Reg ?? Well that's put a spring in my step !!!!

Hahaha. Only joking, of course hamster hamster hamster

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213191
03/24/20 07:37 AM
03/24/20 07:37 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

@oldbroad: ah ok, now i know how you meant it. Yeah, I agree, looking at a walkthough and realizing one has missed a hotspot sucks wink

Thanks to all for your feedback. So your statement basically means you did not encounter any gamebreaking bugs.
That's good, but of course it would have been better I someone who solved the game remembered exactly
the specific bugs I have mentioned above.
Because they definitely are bugs: The talk box opens and I cannot click anything even though special symbols next to the default symbols come up.
So one is supposed to talk to these characters (at least to the ape). So I can only hope everybody had these two bugs and just forgot about them. Because the alternative would be that only I have them on my machine for some strange reason.
I will continue playing for a while and see If I will make progress.

Thanks everybody smile

So, Uncle Reg with 79 currently is the oldest still active poster here it seems - considering the two 90's aren active anymore ;-)

Marian, so you just turned 65 last friday or will turn next friday? Happy birthday in any case, belated or in advance!

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/24/20 07:39 AM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213193
03/24/20 07:42 AM
03/24/20 07:42 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

@marian: do you remember which adventure was it? The first one you played in 1982?
My first adventure was Maniac Mansion on the C64 on the same year it was released

@mad: So there is a tweaked version for modern machines? really? How can I tell whether I have the normal version or
thr tweaked version?

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/24/20 07:45 AM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213203
03/24/20 09:14 AM
03/24/20 09:14 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted by mike_bn
@marian: do you remember which adventure was it? The first one you played in 1982?
My first adventure was Maniac Mansion on the C64 on the same year it was released

The first two were Zork by Infocom and Wizard and the Princess by Sierra, both played on an Apple II+.

Thanks for the Happy Birthday - it's three days from now.

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213214
03/24/20 01:09 PM
03/24/20 01:09 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
"@oldbroad: ah ok, now i know how you meant it. Yeah, I agree, looking at a walkthough and realizing one has missed a hotspot sucks" Exactly!

Not knowing anything about this game I can only wonder, maybe it is just not time to have those conversations YET and you are not really encountering a bug. You wouldn't think the conversation box would open but...

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213234
03/24/20 07:23 PM
03/24/20 07:23 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Originally Posted by mike_bn
@mad: So there is a tweaked version for modern machines? really? How can I tell whether I have the normal version or
thr tweaked version?

The original versions were released years ago whereas "tweaked" versions didn't become available until many years later.

So I would say it's dependent on when you made your purchase.

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213406
03/26/20 04:01 PM
03/26/20 04:01 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Well, I am stuck now in act 3 and I don't know whether its becuase I cannot talk to the orang-utan/monkey and/or chinney guy or not.
Would anybody of you be willing to check the UHS section of axt 3 and tell me wehther
somehwere it is mentioned something like 'Talk to the monkey about the L-Space (or whatever that L-symbol in the talk box stands for)
then this will trigger/then he will hand you this item' or if nothing like this is mentioned there.
But again, please don't tell me anything that could be considered a hint like: 'you first need to do xx then you talk to the monkey'
I only want to know If I should be able to talk with him before I solved any pullzes in act 3. Yes, you read correctly, I have not solved
anything major so far in act 3. All I did was collect many new items, combine the snake with some item to build some staff, exchange
that staff with the staff from the wizard and attach the new staff ot the butterfly net. Rinewind then says 'Now I have something to catch
the danergous butterflys'. But I have no idea what do to with this item. Other than that I didn't do anything except for collecting items that
ly around and talking to charcters. Regarding characters it seems i still miss one info on how to get a hero: I have 7 and there seems to be room
for 8 slots hwen talking to the gaurds at the gate.

Here is the UHS link, if anybody would be willing to check - and again, please DO NOT post any hints. I jsut want to know
If not being able to talk to the monkey and not being able to talk to the chimney guy blocks me from moving forward in the game.
http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/discwrld.php

Thanks!

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/26/20 04:04 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213407
03/26/20 04:08 PM
03/26/20 04:08 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Lol, in the review from Adventuregamers.com I found this quote about the extrem diffculty level of the game, whcih i totally agree
with, it is really hard:

'First off, I have no qualms about calling Discworld one of the most difficult adventures to ever hit the market. In all of the years that I have been playing adventure games, I can count on one hand with fingers left over how many people I've spoken with who have completed this game without a walkthrough. And while, after many runs through the game, I can usually finish it in about eight to ten hours, the first time I played through it took a few months of puzzling before I reached the end, and that was with help from a few rudimentary walkthroughs.'

Its comforting to know that the game is considered so difficu.t, on another website it
is listed in the top 15 hardest video games eevr ;-)

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213408
03/26/20 04:18 PM
03/26/20 04:18 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

One more thing: In one review I found a crucial information: I don't consider it a hint, I consider it a game mechanic
that one needs to know becuase it simply does not make any sense at all: The review states that sometimes
to be able to interact with an item, it needs to be in RIncewinds inventory and must not be in the lugagge.
Honestly, if this is true, that is simply stupid and does not make any sense at all: right click means 'examine
item' - to examine something, it is irrelevant whether the item is in the lugagge or in rincewinds inventory from a logical
point of view. The same holds true for double-left-click: double left click means 'try to use' . Here also from a logical point
of view, it also does not matter in which inventory an item resides. The only idea (and I had it before I read the review
is to not forget to combine the pouch from Rincewinds inventory (which you cannot move to the luggage) with the items in the luggage
(and doing the same with the abilities).
But if is is really the case that right-click or double-left-click makes a different depending on where the item is stored,
that would be really stupid. Well we will see, I will tediously move every item to Rinewinds inventory and check it there....
I really hope if it is true that this is mentioned in the game manual (I only have the CD, not the manual)

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/26/20 04:26 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213409
03/26/20 05:21 PM
03/26/20 05:21 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
mike_bn, I took a look at the UHS hints and as far as I can tell, the answer to your question is no, BUT please keep in mind that I never played this game so am not even a tiny bit familiar with it! Hopefully, somebody else can confirm this for you.

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213439
03/26/20 11:53 PM
03/26/20 11:53 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

@oldbroad: Thank you for taking a lokk, I really appreciate that! :-)

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213495
03/27/20 02:57 PM
03/27/20 02:57 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

In case anyone is interested, after 5 hours of utter frustration, I finally progressed :-) I finally got into the palace in act 3
which opened up a few possibilities - new items etc. This game is so hard to rate. It has some absolutely obscure, no honestly, bad puzzles
which you can never guess, so they don't even deservere to be called puzzles, I would rather call them 'brute-force locations'.
But whenever I start to get disappointed by passign when encountering such a blocker and start do like the game less, after 'solving' the bad puzzle,
the game presents a beautiful cutscene or a new wonderful location is unlocked which immediately makes me hooked (?) again. E.g., the dragon sanctuary is HILARIOUS smile

So far, no hint - still clean. And I think the one think I mentioned from the review is not true. My inventory is full, I cannot move items there anymore
(I have got the flute, the handshake symbol, the pick-pocket-symbol and the pouch and I cannot put a 5th item in my inventory.)

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/27/20 03:00 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213496
03/27/20 03:10 PM
03/27/20 03:10 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
That is great that you have progressed again! Good for you. thumbsup

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213503
03/27/20 04:05 PM
03/27/20 04:05 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
woot woot

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: oldbroad] #1213579
03/28/20 10:05 PM
03/28/20 10:05 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Good to hear of your progress and I'm sure you WILL make it through the game without a walkthrough 👍

I managed to - I had to - because there were none available when I played it on its release 🙀

It DID take me months, though. As also did The Secret of Monkey Island and Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers and quite a few others - because access to ANY game walkthroughs (for me, anyway) came quite a bit later !! 😑

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213624
03/29/20 06:28 PM
03/29/20 06:28 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

@Mad: thanks for the vote of confidence (me solving the game without a walktrhough) ;-)
I am not so sure, though. This game without doubt is the hardest point of click i ever played in my life, and i played quite
a few. Glad that you mentioned that it took you months. This is comforting. I spent at least 10 hours in act 3 (maybe even more)
and even though it feels like I solved quite alot, I have only ONE item of the 8 you need to become a hero - the sword, already
tuned by the dwarves. No idrea how to get the other 7. Getting just one item was multi-step, I cannot believe how many things
oyu need to do to get the sword. I can imagine where to find the other things, it feels like I was everywhere and tried everything ;-)

I criticed the puzzles the other day. This still holds true, some are ridiculous. To be fair, I encountered a few really nice
puzzles as well now with hilarious cut scenes.

I am still worried that not being able to talk to two characters is a showstopper: I only know about 7 items , but I am sure I need
8. About the items you learn when you talk to characters, and I wonder if the missing item would be talked about with one of the two
character I cannot talk to.

And where is the [blip] cracker for Polly? Kissing Nanny Ogg wasn't fun ;-) Getting the bragger to drink the beer with the truth portion was a blast.
I also triggered the end scene of act 3 I think (shoot duel with dragon), but without the items I cannot win it seems... ;-)

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/29/20 06:32 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213625
03/29/20 07:24 PM
03/29/20 07:24 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I am playing this game VICARIOUSLY through you and the UHS hints lol ! I went all through the hints again and stand by what I said earlier. What you think are "bugs", I don't think are. Sounds like you need to just keep doing what you've been doing until you hit on something.

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: oldbroad] #1213632
03/29/20 11:08 PM
03/29/20 11:08 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I say again, I didn't encounter bugs.
But I didn't encounter much logic in the puzzle solving either !! lol

The whole series is a mostly hilarious scenario of very inventive "logic free" enjoyment that can leave you totally brain-drained but proud of yourself if you make it through evil

Good Luck grin

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213637
03/30/20 01:06 AM
03/30/20 01:06 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

@oldbroad: I like that :-) I promise to keep you updated. Right now I feel really stuck, there are only a few objects left where
I did not use every item from my inventory with them (yes thats how you have to play this game very ofen) Thanks for checking one more time, really!
Having read the hints, maybe you are interested where I am stuck. Its many places:

- I found the scissors which seemingly are to cut off the tail from the donkey. But when I try, it beats me, so I fail
- I found some secret location with an altar at the end of a path full of traps. No idea how to egt tot that altar
- I found the bird for the pirate at the edge of the world but cannot catch it. It wants a cracker. I searched the kitchen,
the table in the dining room and the store room for a cracker, no success
- No idea what to do up on the roofs in act 3. There is a ladder but Rincewind refuses to use the ladder
- No idea what to do with the wishing well
- I found a cat (really, really hidden, hard to find.), but double clicking does not work at all. When I do
right click, Rincwind says 'Puss, puss, puss'. So I am not sure if that cat is important or not

@Mad: "The whole series is a mostly hilarious scenario of very inventive "logic free" enjoyment that can leave you totally brain-drained "
I agree 1ßß% :-) To my surprise, act 3 at least had a few nice puzzles which actually made some sense, e.g. Rincewind did not want to
kiss nanny ogg, so you had to ... and how you tricked the guy in the inn to drink the beer with the truth potion was also fun smile

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/30/20 01:14 AM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213639
03/30/20 02:20 AM
03/30/20 02:20 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I think you're in for a treat once you manage to find the trigger points! It sounds like you're doing quite well!

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213704
03/30/20 03:59 PM
03/30/20 03:59 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

@oldbroad (I am mainly posting this for you as promised)
This game breaks me :-) So i played 3 more hours and am happy and scared at the same time: I solved a few things,
one of them even not by brute-forcing, but actually having a good idea, which feels rewarding.
So that is good. But what really is daunting is the fact that in relation to the complete task of act 3 (collecting 8 items)
I have only solved a SMALL part (I just got the second of the 8 items, the talisman) EVEN THOUGH I feel i tried everything
everywhere for MANY hours. Considering that it seems that finding the 8 items are rather independent subtasks, it seems I am
not stuck at one puzzle, but rather at six! (the six items I am missing). I honestly have lost confidence that I will
solve the game without needing a hint sooner or later. Even though I solved a few things today, i have less and less
locations where I ca n try something new so I will probably completely run out of ideas soon and give up, but I will
keep trying and as long as I make small progress every 2-3 hours or so, i will not look at a walkthrough.

My accomplishments today (spoilers coming)
- the one I am proud of: I got to the altar where the talisman is by thinking and not brute force: Rincewind on his own
blindfolds himself before he walks past the traps because he is scard and of course falls in every trap. So i was
thinking 'maybe the luggage can guide the way for him' and then the leash was the obvious item to try to use on the luggagge.
(previously I tried the leash on animalys like the donkey with no success)

- something with brute force: you can loosen the ladder on the roof which makes the assassin fall down.
This was the first 'success' moment today followed by disappointment because I have no idea what it is worth
for: the assassin sits on the street, I cannot talk to him, none of my items work on him and as soon as I leave the
place everything resets and I can make him fall again

- Totally absurd but followed by a BEAUTFUL scene: At the edge of the word, I used the hat with the endless number of
rabbits and handkerchiefs to climb down discworld and see that beautiful picture of the turtle in space.
But I can do nothing there, so no basically no progress by finding this place. And of course this was found only
by brute-force use of every item on that fork. I don't think that anybody who has ever played the game
anticipated using the hat there, I think this can only be found by mindlessly combining each item with the fork,
so it is tedious work rather than a puzzle (but again, the reward is beautiful)

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/30/20 04:06 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213706
03/30/20 04:27 PM
03/30/20 04:27 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Online sad
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Online Sad
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Hang in there. You are making great progress from what I can tell! I hope this does not sound like a hint, but it seems that each thing you are uncovering (that you've mentioned) is progressing you. I'm sure you will figure it all out (eventually)! wink

I will say though, that I probably would have gotten bored and frustrated a long time ago trying everything, everywhere.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr, Marian 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 338 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users