GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: oldbroad] #1213714
03/30/20 05:15 PM
03/30/20 05:15 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Originally Posted by oldbroad
I will say though, that I probably would have gotten bored and frustrated a long time ago trying everything, everywhere.

Yes, totally understandable. Normally I am VERY critical of a game when its puzzles don't make sense. My favorite sub-genre is
Myst-like adventures, where it is all about clean, logical puzzles and being observant. Of course with point&click adventures
I am more forgiving but normally a game with the level of randomness/obscurity like a lot of the 'puzzles' in Discworld have, would be enough
for me to stop playing and considering the game a really bad one. So why not for this game? Its because this game shines in almost every
other aspect: the story is constructed with so much love and details, it has many, many wonderful scenes, a witty humor
and is quite a big game. This makes me forgive the game this major design flaw, I don't know the fun just outweighs
the tedious try and error chains you absolutely cannot avoid if you want to solve the game on your own.

Last edited by mike_bn; 03/30/20 05:21 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213716
03/30/20 05:25 PM
03/30/20 05:25 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
"I don't know the fun just outweighs
the tedious try and error chains you absolutely cannot avoid if you want to solve the game on your own."

That is a very good thing!

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213773
03/31/20 04:06 PM
03/31/20 04:06 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Even though I doubt that anyone else is interested in details other than maybe oldborad, I am, still posting here, kind of my
own Discworld blog ;-) I hope that is ok.

So, during the sad times of Corona, there is more time to play ( because meeting up with friends is currently not allowed here in Germany, which is sad, but a reasonable decision). So today, I played for around 3 more hours and progressed again :-)

Spoilers warning:
The first puzzle I solved today was probably the easiest one in the game - I cannot believe it took me so much time,
it is so obvious. The parrot wants a cracker. so the firecracker is the obvious thing to use. I think I missed that because
I am not a native english speaker and I did not know the word firecracker before this game. So of course when I picked it up
for the first time, it says firecracker and I did not memorize that and when playing only focused on the picture in the inventory
rather than the word. Because in germany, there is not connection between Knallkörper/Böller (firecracker) and Keks (cracker)
I did not think of using it. So this opens a sequence of small todo's, the last action in that sequence is to get the tattoo
from the son of the barbor. I managed to do it, but more or less by accident.

So, now I have 3 of 8 required, still a loooong way to go, sigh ;-) But it was really, realy fun playing these three hours.

PS: i also realized that when you climb of Discworld to the screen with the turtle in space, that you can actually click on the tiny pixle
which represents Rincewind. It really is devilishly tiny hotsports. So even at that location you have access to Rincewind inventoriy, but I
could not find anything useful.

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213774
03/31/20 04:40 PM
03/31/20 04:40 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I had read about the firecracker in the UHS hints and wondered how it was presented in the game and if you would know what it was or not.

Every time you play, you manage to get something, so I'd say you're doing good!

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213945
04/02/20 04:21 PM
04/02/20 04:21 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Ok, here as one more update - I think Ii will give up my attempt to solve this game without a walkthrough.
It was fun so far and I did enjoy trying it, but i have reached a point where I barely don't make any progress anymore
and I am not willing to spend months of try and error attempts just to be proud of myself having solved the game without a walkthrough.
I think I will use UHS tomorrow. I definitely want to finish the game, I still like it very much. It just is to boring/frustrating to have maybe
30 spots left where I would need to try to use all my items with. Also I still have in the back of my mind the
feedback from one reviewer, who said it makes a difference whteher an item resides in Rincewinds inventory or in the luggage.
If this is true, that would be really a terrible design decision from the developers.

Last edited by mike_bn; 04/02/20 04:24 PM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1213949
04/02/20 04:56 PM
04/02/20 04:56 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I'm sorry to read this update but it is understandable. Maybe you should just take a few days rest from it?

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1214659
04/10/20 03:41 AM
04/10/20 03:41 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Hi oldbroad and all others,

oldbroad, no need to feel sorry. Yes, I indeed looked at a walkthrough and yes, it would have been a great feeling
to finish it completely on my own and it's a bit disappointing, but not that much. Actually, I am still feeling a bit proud
of my performance, because I needed just 2 hints and I consider only one of them a 'real' hint because I am 1000% sure I tried
the other thing and must have had bad luck and not hit the hotspot when double clicking:
The real hint was a classic: I missed one tiny hotspot , argh :-) The one where the magical book is.
The other one was filling the pot with water from the well by combining pot with bucket. This I definitely tried before and I must have hit the well
instead of the bucket when combining the pot from the inventory with it (I tried both but must have hit the well on both tries)
Everything else I solved on my own :-)

All in all, despite of some really obscure, bad 'puzzles' = brute-force-spots, I loved the game. I consider it a classic
and one of the best, most fun point and click games I ever played. Probably in my top 10 together with games like
FeebleFiles, Toonstruck, some of the LucasAets games, The Dig, Gabriel Night 1 etc.

One last interesting thing: Before I got the real ending (having all 6 items - turns out there are only 6 and not 8, that was mean)
I was able to trigger the ending in a way I found NOWHERE on the internet, it happened like this:

I was able to enter the dragon cage and pick up the dragon at a time were it definitely is not supposed to happen.
I could finish the game with only 3 or 4 hero items instead of 6. I could not reproduce it:
At the dragon sanctuary, there is the puzzle where you ring the bell to the front door to lure the dragon lady to the front while
going to the back of the house to pick up some item OUTSIDE the dragon cage, needed for the sheep puzzle.
In all walkthroughs and all you tube videos this is the only thing you can do at the back at that stage. But for me it was different,
one time I did it, the door to the cage was open! So I could get into the cage and pick up the dragon way too early.
And when you have the dragon you can trigger the ending and complete the game
(you miss the first 50% of the end sequence, though).
I had three or four hero items at that time, so I am sure the game does not check how number of hero items you have after you picked up the dragon
and just triggers the next stage when the dragon 'is loaded'. It does not check the number of hero items you collected because in the non-bugged sequence of events the game 'knows' 100% that you have all 6 hero items when you have the dragon because, normally the order of events is that you first have to find all 6 hero items, then, when you pick up the last one and leave the current location, the first 50% of the end scene triggers (you find yourself at the market place with all characters there and dragon lady tied to a rock), than you can pick up the key from the dragon lady and with that key you can enter the dragon cage and only then get the
dragon and then play the second 50% of the ending. I got the wrong ending first, but continued playing because I knew something was
off. When I got all 6 hero items, the normal ending started.

If the game was newer, I would report this major bug, but since this game is super-old, noone is interested, so I am posting it only here.

Thanks for all your motivating me and thanks oldbroad for staying interested in my progress. It was fun.

Last edited by mike_bn; 04/10/20 04:09 AM.
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1214660
04/10/20 03:48 AM
04/10/20 03:48 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Ah and one last question to @all :

On the internet, I found the info that three english CD-versions of the game exist:

- first version, very buggy
- second version called director's cut, all major bugs removed
- third version called the other director's cut with no bugs at all

I would love to buy version 3 of this game on ebay.com for my collection, but i have no idea how to
distinguish the versions. Does anybody now how to identify with 100% certainty version 3?

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1214671
04/10/20 07:48 AM
04/10/20 07:48 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
On this site here it says the following:

2.4 How many different PC versions are there? Where can I get a demo?

There are five versions of the full game, and two demos.. I've not seen a Mac Discworld demo around. These versions are:

1: The PC floppy version, currently with no patch available. This is currently the only floppy version available. There is no patch available for this version.

2: The PC CD Version 1. This was the first version of Discworld to be released, and was quite buggy. It has been superseded by Version 2.

3: The PC CD-ROM Version 2. Discworld: The Directors Cut. This is a completely fixed version of the Discworld version 1.. with virtually every bug removed. If you've bought Discworld 1 within the last couple of years, you'll have this version.

4: The Apple Mac version: This is more or less the Mac version of the Directors cut, with the extra graphics, and bug fixes of the PC CD version 2. Unfortunately, it's not being distributed any more, so you'll have a job hunting down a copy.

5: The PC CD-ROM Version 3. Discworld: The Director's other cut. This is a third version of thePC-CDROM Discworld game. It has had the final few glitches fixed, and is apparently flawless. In the US, some copies of Discworld 2 come with Discworld 1 version 3 included, and this version may also be the version that has been released on Psygnosis' Argentium budget range - I'll try and check this out.

There are also 2 demo versions. Version 1, the older version is a small demo centred around the problem of getting the fishmongers belt.

The second version is a CD demo, containing the part of the first Act set inside the Unseen University, and has all the speech to match. it is also almost bugless.. this is available on several PC magazine CD coverdisks.. including the June 1995 Issue of PC Format.

I was not able to find a better description of the versions than this. Perhaps you already got your information from this site?

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1214683
04/10/20 09:37 AM
04/10/20 09:37 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Hi Marian,

thanks for trying to help me out. This is exactly the site where I got my info about 3 CD windows version. So I mean point 5 in the list.
Unfortuantely there is no description how the CD or the box looks like, so I have no idea how to identify that version

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1214684
04/10/20 09:47 AM
04/10/20 09:47 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

I got one step further, but still not optimal. Whatever question you have, there is always someone, somehwere on the internet
having the same question ;-)

https://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=14459

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1214697
04/10/20 11:29 AM
04/10/20 11:29 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I bought the Discworld games on disks - as soon as they were released - and can't say that any of them proved to be buggy duh

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1214698
04/10/20 11:37 AM
04/10/20 11:37 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Now that you mention it, Mad, I bought the game when it was first released and don't remember there being any bugs either.

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1214720
04/10/20 01:47 PM
04/10/20 01:47 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Thanks for posting the finale of your playthrough mike_bn! I wanted so bad to tell you to look around for that book and stop worrying about talking to the librarian yes! Good to know you were able to enjoy the game and didn't need too many hints at all. Sometimes one little nudge gets things moving. Triggering the ending before it is time, is something I would call a major bug. I was able to get to the end of Myst 5 that way too, without doing half of the game. I was wondering why that Myst game was so much easier than the rest and then I looked at a walkthrough and saw that I had missed half the game frown.

praise bravo

Re: Discworld Questions - NO spoilers, please [Re: mike_bn] #1214779
04/11/20 09:10 AM
04/11/20 09:10 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Yeah, that definitely is a major bug. Interesting thing is a good friend of mine is playing the game as well using the same CD, same OS setup
(Windows XP + DOSBOX) and we tried the same thing several time on his PC and coudn't reproduce what happened on my PC.
I cannot think of anything special I did to get my game to that stage, it is really strange, especially because there are several websites on the internet
listing all Discoworld bugs but this one is listed nowhere, but I swear it is the truth.

Last edited by mike_bn; 04/11/20 09:10 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr, Marian 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (BrownEyedTigre, flotsam), 250 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users