GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Creating a list of stripped down games #1231571
10/22/20 03:01 PM
10/22/20 03:01 PM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else would find it valuable to have a list of stripped down versions of adventure games in on place,
maybe somewhere here on Gameboomers? E.g. Jenny mentioned she wasted money on a couple of games who turned out
to be not complete and thus a disappointing purchase. This would not have happened if we had a table which lists all games
that are stripped down on certain platforms. Columns would be gamename and then Steam-Mac, Stem-Win, Gog-Mac, Gog-Win, Ipad etc
with values yes/no for stripped down or not.

Even though I am sort of suggesting it, I am not sure if creating and maintaining such a list is worth the effort.
However, if such a list would exist, I would find it very convenient to be able to check it before risking buying a stripped down game.

What do you think? This list would have to be created by the community,, because I think noone alone knows many stripped down games.
Jenny knows a lot cases, though wink

Re: Creating a list of stripped down games [Re: mike_bn] #1231613
10/22/20 08:00 PM
10/22/20 08:00 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
It's a task I am not up to handling or adding to our database, I'm afraid. You can always start a thread and people can add to it as they see fit, but that is about the best I can offer. I doubt it would amount to much to be honest.

Ana

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Creating a list of stripped down games [Re: mike_bn] #1231614
10/22/20 08:48 PM
10/22/20 08:48 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
There's not much point in making a "list" when general rules cover everything.
Stripped down games are older first person games originally made by Cryo, Microids, and Kheops.
All iPad versions of these games are stripped down.
They have puzzles removed.
They have hotspots removed.
They have nodes removed.

All Mac versions that claim to have HD graphics will have a single HD graphic replacing 4 or 5 graphics in the original.

The original Mac versions of Cryo games made for OS8 or OS9 (from around 2001) are complete.
It's the "updated" versions made for OS X that are stripped down.

They replaced the more flexible game engine in the original game with a less capable one in the "updated" version, which can't handle puzzles.

Last time I played the GOG version of Beyond Atlantis (Atlantis 2) for Windows it was a complete version. But that was years ago and I can't be sure things haven't changed.

You can play the Windows versions on a Mac with OS X using a Virtual Machine such as VMware Fusion.
Pretty much any Windows adventure game that doesn't require 3D graphics can be played in a Virtual Machine.

First person games made by companies other than Cryo, Microids, and Kheops may be complete -- especially if the company still cares about the games.
Myst is complete.
As far as I've played it, Riven is complete.
Pegasus Prime (from Presto) should also be complete.

New first person games are complete -- "new" meaning newer than 2009.

I don't know of any 3rd person games that are stripped down, though some of them may be divided up into more than one part where the originals were sold as a single game.

Re: Creating a list of stripped down games [Re: mike_bn] #1231615
10/22/20 08:55 PM
10/22/20 08:55 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I can attest to the fact that the GOG version of Atlantis 2/Beyond Atlantis for Windows remains the complete version.

Re: Creating a list of stripped down games [Re: mike_bn] #1231617
10/22/20 09:52 PM
10/22/20 09:52 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
One game I played from GOG that I know was missing one puzzle was Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Re: Creating a list of stripped down games [Re: Marian] #1231620
10/22/20 10:42 PM
10/22/20 10:42 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by Marian
I can attest to the fact that the GOG version of Atlantis 2/Beyond Atlantis for Windows remains the complete version.

That is great news.

Re: Creating a list of stripped down games [Re: mike_bn] #1231641
10/23/20 06:35 AM
10/23/20 06:35 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Hi all,

after reading your comments I actually agree with all of you that it is not worth the effort.
Thanks also for the info's here :-)

Would it maybe be possible to keep this thread as a sticky thread to have it always on the top off the forum? If someone
can't figure out if a specfic game is stripped down or not he could post in that thread instead of always creating a new thread, spreading these kind of infos across multiple threads? (I read Jennys' guidelines and they are good but maybe for some reason one still has doubts about a specific game? ).
Also such a sticky thread could be used where boomers could proactively post game-versions they came across during gaming which are stripped down? Example would be oldbroads post above - thanks for the info about 'Journey to the center of the Earth' oldbroad, I never would have guessed that!

Last edited by mike_bn; 10/23/20 06:58 AM.
Re: Creating a list of stripped down games [Re: oldbroad] #1231654
10/23/20 08:43 AM
10/23/20 08:43 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by oldbroad
One game I played from GOG that I know was missing one puzzle was Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Do you remember which puzzle that was?
I haven't replayed Journey to the Center of the Earth since playing the original disc version.
So even if I replayed the game now, I would not remember the puzzle.

EDIT -- I think I found a mention of the missing puzzle in Marita's walkthrough.
Seal Puzzle (This puzzle is not present in the download version)

Too bad it's missing. It looks like an interesting puzzle -- to me anyway.

Re: Creating a list of stripped down games [Re: mike_bn] #1231687
10/23/20 01:35 PM
10/23/20 01:35 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I guess that's the puzzle Jenny. It is listed in her walktrhough under "Valley of the Spirits". I wasted considerable time in the game trying to figure out the puzzle before consulting the walkthrough and seeing that.

Re: Creating a list of stripped down games [Re: mike_bn] #1231708
10/23/20 08:43 PM
10/23/20 08:43 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Originally Posted by mike_bn
Hi all,

after reading your comments I actually agree with all of you that it is not worth the effort.
Thanks also for the info's here :-)

Would it maybe be possible to keep this thread as a sticky thread to have it always on the top off the forum? If someone
can't figure out if a specfic game is stripped down or not he could post in that thread instead of always creating a new thread, spreading these kind of infos across multiple threads? (I read Jennys' guidelines and they are good but maybe for some reason one still has doubts about a specific game? ).
Also such a sticky thread could be used where boomers could proactively post game-versions they came across during gaming which are stripped down? Example would be oldbroads post above - thanks for the info about 'Journey to the center of the Earth' oldbroad, I never would have guessed that!

We won't be making a sticky out of the thread for many reasons. 1. We don't sticky threads created by members. 2. It is such a small percentage of games and it seems to be covered already. 3. There are often times I have new game announcements I have to postpone because there are too many stickies. As you can see we have no permanent stickies here on this forum.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Creating a list of stripped down games [Re: mike_bn] #1231744
10/24/20 11:56 AM
10/24/20 11:56 AM
M
mike_bn Offline OP
Settled Boomer
mike_bn  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
M

Ok, thanks for the info, Ana.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (soot, BrownEyedTigre, fildil, 1 invisible), 386 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users