GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: Jenny100] #1232017
10/27/20 12:31 PM
10/27/20 12:31 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
S
Susie07 Offline
Addicted Boomer
Susie07  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi, Jenny!

Adding the option to rent games would not be a bad thing, assuming the cost will be a lot less. I won't be happy if they remove the option to buy, though, because I pick games up when they are on sale so I haven't paid full price in years lol . I have a few games that I've replayed (some more than once), but most are "once and done".

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Susan

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: Susie07] #1232018
10/27/20 01:01 PM
10/27/20 01:01 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by Susie07
I have a few games that I've replayed (some more than once), but most are "once and done".

I have several Big Fish games that I replay from time to time.
Some of the Dark Parables games and MCF games.
My favorite MCF game is Dire Grove.
Also one of the Christmas Stories series usually gets played around Christmas.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1232021
10/27/20 01:38 PM
10/27/20 01:38 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I have quite a few Big Fish games that I replay, and there would be more if I had more free time.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: Jenny100] #1232054
10/27/20 08:25 PM
10/27/20 08:25 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
S
Susie07 Offline
Addicted Boomer
Susie07  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi, Jenny!

I also replay the Christmas games around Christmas, and the Halloween games around Halloween smile . I'm currently playing the new "Halloween Chronicles" and am looking forward to the new Christmas offerings. I believe "MCF: Dire Grove" was the first one I played, and then I bought the ones I missed before joining Big Fish. I really enjoy the Super Puzzles and always feel so proud of myself when I solve them because some of them take a lot of thought happydance !

Susan

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1232473
11/01/20 07:02 PM
11/01/20 07:02 PM
Los Angeles, CA. USA
lakerz Offline
Settled Boomer
lakerz  Offline
Settled Boomer

Los Angeles, CA. USA
I have purchased a number of BigFish games using the Gameboomer link. Sorry that this site will no longer be getting the modest kickback from any future sales. I have been worrying about BigFish for awhile now. Never a good sign to see ownership changing so often, and then as some have alluded to they have reduced employee #s by a lot. I always thought the combo of gambling / gaming site was a weird one. I have a bought a LOT of BF games over the past 10 years and many I have yet to get to, so hope they can stay in business. I know some say you can download them to hard drive for future use, but I have had issues activating these games before. What I mean to say is I will activate a game, let it sit unplayed for a stretch, then when I try and play it a few months later the BigFish app instructs me to activate it again. Is there a time out or something for activation? Maybe it is just a glitch on my computer. In any case, because of this I don't have much faith I could download & activate my catalogue to an external drive and then come back to it down the road and have it all work.

Another main problem I have encountered is many of BigFish's older games (and some not so old) have disappeared from their library. Even if you purchased a copy, if you try and download it the game cannot be found. That seems kind of shady, because other portals like Steam still allow one to download games you bought even if they are no longer offered for sale to new buyers (I believe that is the case at least). I have been trying to play through my backlog, and that is how I have discovered this.

Edit: Jen, where did you hear that BigFish was moving to a rental system for their games? Your post was first I had heard of that. Is it a single game rental, or will they charge a monthly fee to play *any* game in their catalogue for a month?

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas...
Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1232474
11/01/20 07:18 PM
11/01/20 07:18 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Lakerz, I have a lot of Big Fish's older games and I have never had a problem downloading and installing a game from my Purchase History that has disappeared from the Big Fish catalogue. And I have done this many, many times, so not sure what is up with that. All I can say is that I have enough older (and some not so old) games to sink the Titanic and this has never happened to me.

I also haven't had a problem with playing games that I have backed up to an external drive that I then play months later.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: lakerz] #1232483
11/01/20 09:35 PM
11/01/20 09:35 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by lakerz
Is there a time out or something for activation?

I've had the problem of games deactivating with Vista, though not with XP.
With XP the games stay activated.

I've noticed with Vista that if I change the installation location of the game folder that
the game deactivates, and I have to reactivate it through the Game Manager.
For example if I move the game folder to an external drive.
With XP the game stays activated no matter where I move the game folder, as
long as I'm playing it on the same computer where I activated it.
With Vista/7/8/10 the game will need reactivating after moving the game folder.
I think this is "by design" and Big Fish just didn't bother to force reactivating
on XP.

Another main problem I have encountered is many of BigFish's older games (and some not so old) have disappeared from their library. Even if you purchased a copy, if you try and download it the game cannot be found.

I haven't had that happen.
Even the oldest games show up in my Game Manager, and I can reinstall them from there.
Since Big Fish is reorganizing their website, it may be that some games are temporarily
unavailable. They should eventually come back though.
The oldest game I reinstalled this year was from 2008.

where did you hear that BigFish was moving to a rental system for their games?

I don't remember. It's not just Big Fish that's doing that, it's all casual game sellers.
They make more money with a rental system.

Is it a single game rental, or will they charge a monthly fee to play *any* game in their catalogue for a month?

The latter. Play any game or games for a month, then you have to keep paying if you want
to continue playing those games. You rent access to them.
Players who never play games more than once may be able to play more games.
I don't play games that way. I only play and replay favorites, not any old thing.
So rental of their full library is not worthwhile for me.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: Jenny100] #1232486
11/01/20 10:00 PM
11/01/20 10:00 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted by Jenny100
With Vista/7/8/10 the game will need reactivating after moving the game folder.
I think this is "by design" and Big Fish just didn't bother to force reactivating
on XP.

I have not found this to be the case with my Windows 7 computer. I have moved game folders to an external drive for quite a while and when I put them back on my Windows 7 computer, the games have never needed reactivating.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: Marian] #1232491
11/02/20 12:41 AM
11/02/20 12:41 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted by Marian
I have not found this to be the case with my Windows 7 computer. I have moved game folders to an external drive for quite a while and when I put them back on my Windows 7 computer, the games have never needed reactivating.

You misunderstood.
On XP I can move the folder to the external drive and play from the external drive.
Or on XP I can move the folder from one location on the hard drive to a different
location on the hard drive and play from that 2nd location on the hard drive.
With Vista/7/8/10 if I move the folder and play from the new location, the activation times out.

Saving the folder on the external hard drive and then putting it back is not the same
as being able to play from any location. The activation info for games on the Vista/7/8/10 computer apparently saves the location where the game was activated from into the activation info,
and any change means the game has to be reactivated. So sure if you put the
folder back where it originally was it will keep activation, but it won't retain
activation if you try to play from a different location, whether on an external
drive or a different location on the main Windows hard drive.
On XP the game only had to be activated on the computer, and would play from
anywhere, including an external drive, as long as you used that computer to play it.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1232517
11/02/20 10:32 AM
11/02/20 10:32 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Yes, Jenny, I misunderstood. Thank you very much for the clarification!

I also still have my XP computer so this is useful information for me to have.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: Marian] #1232643
11/04/20 04:39 AM
11/04/20 04:39 AM
Los Angeles, CA. USA
lakerz Offline
Settled Boomer
lakerz  Offline
Settled Boomer

Los Angeles, CA. USA
Originally Posted by Marian
Lakerz, I have a lot of Big Fish's older games and I have never had a problem downloading and installing a game from my Purchase History that has disappeared from the Big Fish catalogue. And I have done this many, many times, so not sure what is up with that. All I can say is that I have enough older (and some not so old) games to sink the Titanic and this has never happened to me.

I also haven't had a problem with playing games that I have backed up to an external drive that I then play months later.

Huh, that is weird because I have had at least 10 previously bought games no longer offered for download from website or BF client. For example, one of the latest ones I encountered was Agatha Christie's Death On The Nile game. I think all of the Agatha Christie games left the BF site. I was not able to download & activate Death on the Nile anymore. Maybe it is just me.

Jen: thank you for the reply. Again, maybe it is just me. The PC I do most of my casual gaming on is Win7. Maybe I will download BF client on my Win10 laptop and see if same thing happens. My Win7 computer though definitely seems to have a temporary activation time span even though the game location never moves.

Edit: all of the Dream Chronicles games seem to have left the site also. Same with the National Geographic games

Last edited by lakerz; 11/04/20 05:08 AM.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1232660
11/04/20 08:40 AM
11/04/20 08:40 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline OP
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline OP
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
lakerz, I just went to my purchase history and Agatha Christie Death on the Nile is still there to download and install. Because they were removed from the website, it is still in your library to install and play.

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1232674
11/04/20 10:28 AM
11/04/20 10:28 AM
winter springs fl.
connie Offline
Graduate Boomer
connie  Offline
Graduate Boomer

winter springs fl.
I can still download and install it, and I have Win 7.

Connie
Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1232778
11/06/20 02:36 AM
11/06/20 02:36 AM
Los Angeles, CA. USA
lakerz Offline
Settled Boomer
lakerz  Offline
Settled Boomer

Los Angeles, CA. USA
BrownEyedTigre & Connie - thanks for the info. Maybe the error lies on my side. When I go to my purchase history and click on the game (for example Agatha Christie Death on Nile), it doesn't download the game but instead loads up the BigFish game manager. Once that loads up, nothing happens in terms of the game loading. I have found the only way to download/activate BF games anymore is to use the search function on the BigFish manager and as long as it finds the game I can then download & activate it. However, if it doesn't find the game then that is that (for me at least). Maybe I am missing something?

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1232780
11/06/20 03:05 AM
11/06/20 03:05 AM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I always use the Big Fish Game Manager. On the left hand side I click Purchase History. On the top right I have it set to sort by Game Title so they come up alphabetically. I don't type in a game name in the search area. Maybe try to do it this way if you haven't already done so?

Also, sorry if this is a stupid question but, are you sure you purchased this game as a Big Fish download or do you maybe have it on disc? I have this game on disc so it does not show up in my Big Fish library though I believe it will if I install the game from the disc, but only on the computer that I install the game on.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: lakerz] #1232797
11/06/20 09:17 AM
11/06/20 09:17 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
BrownEyedTigre & Connie - thanks for the info. Maybe the error lies on my side. When I go to my purchase history and click on the game (for example Agatha Christie Death on Nile), it doesn't download the game but instead loads up the BigFish game manager. Once that loads up, nothing happens in terms of the game loading. I have found the only way to download/activate BF games anymore is to use the search function on the BigFish manager and as long as it finds the game I can then download & activate it. However, if it doesn't find the game then that is that (for me at least). Maybe I am missing something?

It sounds like your Game Manager might be afflicted with the 1404 error message bug. What you describe resembles this. If this is the case, the only remedy for re-downloading games from your Purchase History that have been removed from the website is to tell Customer Support your account now has this bug, and they will send you a link for the game. I have been told in the past that this bug is created when the game manager is unable to retrieve the security certificate for the game from the Big Fish server. Once afflicted with this bug, it does not go away, unfortunately.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1232963
11/08/20 02:08 AM
11/08/20 02:08 AM
Los Angeles, CA. USA
lakerz Offline
Settled Boomer
lakerz  Offline
Settled Boomer

Los Angeles, CA. USA
Thanks for the continued help. Marian - yes that is exactly the problem I have! Sorry I failed to mention that before, my brain is fried I guess ha ha. But yeah, I have had that BF Game Manager 1404 error for a while now which prevents me from bringing up purchase history from within the app. You would think BF would fix this error, but I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the BF Manager several times and no luck. Thanks for the tip about requesting the game link from BF customer support. The few times in the past I've contacted them about this, they just apologize and give me a coupon code for free game to compensate. I never knew they had ability to send me direct download link. Thank you!

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1232974
11/08/20 09:22 AM
11/08/20 09:22 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Yes, be sure to contact them about this. Tell them your account has the 1404 error message and that you want a download link for the game(s). They will explain the easy steps after that in order to get the entire game downloaded and activated. In the past, the solution for this issue was to provide the customer with an earlier version of the GM, but they no longer do that. I would also recommend that you open a second account if you haven't already for any future purchases such that they will not end up in the bugged account.

I have been told that this bug can pop up when you have close to one thousand or more games in your Purchase History. If anyone reading this is close to that amount, my advice is to open a second account for future purchases to protect the first account from possibly developing this glitch. You will still have the original account and access to all the games in it after you do this.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1233027
11/08/20 04:44 PM
11/08/20 04:44 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Thanks Marian for putting the number out there! I was wondering if 1,000 might be the bad luck number. I have over 800 and have been concerned since this issue was first mentioned by you. I haven't been buying so much from Big Fish lately but your suggestion of a second account sounds like a good idea. Do you then have two Game Managers on your desktop or how does it work?

hearts

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1233034
11/08/20 05:18 PM
11/08/20 05:18 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
For each account you will have a different user name and password. You will still use just the one game manager but you will need to sign into the account where the game you want to download has been purchased. Then, if you want to download a game from the other account, you sign out and sign back in with the other user name and password. I suppose that is a little bit of a hassle but it only takes a few seconds to do it.

I know people who have made it to 1200 games before the GM developed this glitch and for others it was more in the 900 to 1000 range. I put a number out there because the help Big Fish provides on their site refers to having a "large" purchase history. That's a bit vague, and some people subjectively might think 200 games is a large Purchase History and for others it might be 1500.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1233046
11/08/20 08:34 PM
11/08/20 08:34 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Thank you! That makes perfect sense about the one game manager, but does a different user name mean a different email? I don't seem to have an actual "user" name on Big Fish.

Yes, "large purchase history" can mean different things to different people. I consider mine to be quite large and getting to that "glitch" area.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1233047
11/08/20 08:46 PM
11/08/20 08:46 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Yes, the user name in this case means a different email address.

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1233059
11/08/20 09:51 PM
11/08/20 09:51 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
thumbsup

Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: oldbroad] #1233067
11/09/20 02:28 AM
11/09/20 02:28 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
That's SUCH good information to know, Marian. Thank you very much !! praise

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Big Fish Affiliate Program Cancelled [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #1233103
11/09/20 10:29 AM
11/09/20 10:29 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
You are most welcome, Mad! smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Pandora, curly, TLC), 269 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users