GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch #1270259
03/31/22 04:39 PM
03/31/22 04:39 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
I had played this game several years ago, on my Win XP, and I don't recall having had any problems at all. Recently, I decided to replay it - on the same XP computer - and have run into a nasty glitch. I am at the Brennar's House, with a bomb about to go off. The problem is that I am supposed to put the ladder under the panel with the bomb, but there are two problems. First, the hero looks up toward the bomb panel, but NO ICON appears there. Second, when I click on the action icon on the ladder, the hero picks it up, turns around, but then gets stuck, wavering back and forth, but never actually putting the ladder down under that bomb panel (perhaps because no icon had appeared on that panel?) Thankfully, I can right-click and go to the Menu (for Load, Save, Exit, etc.), but can do nothing with the hero or the game... frown I know this is a very old game but I would really appreciate it if someone would help me out and ASAP, as this is most upsetting... Thanks.

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270260
03/31/22 04:59 PM
03/31/22 04:59 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
The easiest thing to do here, I believe, is to download a saved game for the game here - that could help you get past your problem. This is a legit site that GameBoomers has used for years, so no worries there.

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270262
03/31/22 05:08 PM
03/31/22 05:08 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
Just a thought. Do you have the item you need once you are at the top of the ladder? Maybe you cannot place the ladder if you have don't have that item? Also, since you can get to the menu, do you have an earlier save that won't require too much replaying? Maybe you can get through it that way?

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: oldbroad] #1270271
03/31/22 05:51 PM
03/31/22 05:51 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Yes, I do have the item - a key I got from a box with a code in the same room. But even if I hadn't had it, there should have been an action icon on the panel under which I am supposed to put the ladder. That's the way it's been in the game - the action icon appears, even when you don't yet have the necessary item to use there.

As for the earlier saves, I've actually loaded the one right before and even the one before that one, but to no avail... frown

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Marian] #1270272
03/31/22 05:56 PM
03/31/22 05:56 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Thanks. I did check that list before posting my "SOS," but two things stopped me from trying it. First, I am not sure how I would go about using the save. I suppose I would have to go in the games folder, find my saves, and put in the downloaded save? But the second deterrent was more... well, deterring. The fact that I might have actually done more in the game than the player of the save had and, given the rather poor structure of the game itself, it might be impossible to figure out what I had already done is no longer there because of the other player's save. See what I mean? frown

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270273
03/31/22 06:14 PM
03/31/22 06:14 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Yes, I do see what you mean, but it may be the only thing you can do (assuming you have tried oldbroad's suggestions as well). There are multiple saves to choose from, though, and you would just have to hope that at least one or two of them might provide a reasonable facsimile of where you were before.

If this is indeed a glitch, I have no other suggestions to offer, particularly because the game worked for you before - it's hard to troubleshoot further this kind of issue.

I have the game running well but it's running in a virtual machine and I have never played the game natively in Windows XP.

The link I provided you has instructions about using the saved games in their help section.

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270274
03/31/22 06:24 PM
03/31/22 06:24 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
There is one other thing you can try maybe. According to the walkthrough "you might be offered the chance to cop out". Somebody will die, but have you had the option to try that?

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270279
03/31/22 10:03 PM
03/31/22 10:03 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Just now seeing this post... bowling league tonight! I have nothing further to add other than what Marian and oldbroad have suggested.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Marian] #1270292
04/01/22 04:40 AM
04/01/22 04:40 AM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Yes, I am *pretty* sure it *had* worked fine the first time. Can't be sure 100% though because it was so long ago - in fact, it was one of the first games I'd played when I first started playing games. Actually, I am beginning to wonder if it *was* this particular computer I'd played the game on. I have another one with an even earlier version of XP. I am toying with the idea of installing the game on *that* computer and transferring my saves to it. You mentioned you have the game running, Marian, even though in a virtual machine. And you had no problems with glitches at all, never needed to put a patch or anything for this game?

PS. Spent ... quite a bit of time actually... as installed the game on my old computer, and then tried to transfer my saves from the newer XP to the older one. Didn't work at all! I then tried to transfer the whole DATA folder (containing the saves), making sure to delete the game's DATA folder in the older XP. Still nothing. It seems that this game's folders are set up very differently from those of most games. Even after I substitute the saves, the game begins at the first still scene from which you are then supposed to load a save - only it does not load anything from the transferred saves at all, even though those transferred saves do show up in the LOAD menu. I had tried to transfer the DATA folder because I'd seen 11 numbered slots there which were outside, but seemed to correspond to, the slots in the SAVE sub-folder within the DATA folder. All of this work (in vain, unfortunately) makes me wonder whether downloading a save from the list you recommended would have failed to work either. It seems that the game has too many (hidden folders) to allow for any substitution at all. :/

As for the oldbroad's suggestions... as much as I appreciated them, I'd already tried them all myself, to no avail - which is when and why I had to post my SOS's here... frown

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: oldbroad] #1270293
04/01/22 04:43 AM
04/01/22 04:43 AM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
No. A couple of times, I deliberately chose what I'd known to be the wrong choice when one was given - just to see what happens. All I got was a cutscene - of a funeral - the hero's, of course! Makes me wonder - are you playing the original version of the game, or something developed later for newer OS's?

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270305
04/01/22 09:05 AM
04/01/22 09:05 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I took a look at our other computer last night to check out Final Cut. I was wrong: it is not running in a virtual machine; rather, it is running natively in Windows 10. However, I used a custom installer to get the game running that I found online, one of those things made by dedicated gamers wanting to keep the older games alive. It is the original version of the game. I can't remember right now exactly where I got it, though.

I can also tell you that I have never directed anyone to that site with the saved games where the saves did not work. Maybe this is one of those games where things have to be installed to a specific folder in order for them to work. I would have to look into that.

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270324
04/01/22 12:04 PM
04/01/22 12:04 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
I played it in Windows XP without issue (that I remember). The first time I tried playing the game in a different XP, I had gotten halfway through the game when my computer broke down. It was years later when I played in this other XP that I have and by then, I knew the game had problems so I did refer to the walkthrough a lot in the hope of not running into any of them.

This is from the review by Steve Ramsey:

"Of more concern, though, was that on one occasion a hot spot that was the essential trigger to the next chapter did not appear. After wandering around aimlessly for some time, I sought help. According to the Arxel Tribe walkthrough everything necessary had been done so Joseph was definitely at a dead end. However I had not done the tasks in the same order as described in the walkthrough, and wondered whether this caused the problem. I reverted to an earlier save and followed the walkthrough and was able to generate the hot spot."

"I am also aware that another dead end has been encountered by players, one that I didn't encounter when I was playing but which I have been able to subsequently recreate. It is again a sequence problem, and despite putting in an hour of effort I could not progress, so as far as I can tell your stuckness is permanent. To make these dead ends worse, taking into account the way the plot unfolds and the nature of the specific sequences, the dead ends are likely to be encountered - if indeed they are common to all copies - by many players."

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270327
04/01/22 12:42 PM
04/01/22 12:42 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
That is really good information about the game, oldbroad. Good to know during any playthroughs!

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270339
04/01/22 01:35 PM
04/01/22 01:35 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Thank you, oldbroad! Excellent to know sequence of events might affect gameplay.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Draclvr] #1270348
04/01/22 03:25 PM
04/01/22 03:25 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
That kind of thing used to happen in some of the older games. One example was in Sierra's KQ6 when I apparently found the Minotaur before I should have done - and a little "error" message popped up on screen that said "We didn't expect you to do that" and then the game crashed rotfl

[Not that I laughed at the time, mind you !! whistle]

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270349
04/01/22 03:29 PM
04/01/22 03:29 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I remember that, Mad. I also remember "save early, save often!" evil

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Marian] #1270369
04/01/22 07:28 PM
04/01/22 07:28 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Yes, please, do let me know what site it was. Thanks. As I wrote earlier, I couldn't get the game on the older XP to play the saves from that on the newer XP, even though its own LOAD menu recognized them, even showed the same dates! And I was unsuccessful even after copying the rather humongous DATA folder, which had included the SAVE sub-foler (after I had deleted the older XP game's own SAVE & DATA folders, of course, to eliminate any possibility of a conflict between the new & the old folders).

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: oldbroad] #1270370
04/01/22 07:30 PM
04/01/22 07:30 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
So... you are saying that the hotspot for the bomb panel at Brenner's might not have appeared because I did not play the game in a certain sequence...?

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270374
04/01/22 07:35 PM
04/01/22 07:35 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted by Zurreen
So... you are saying that the hotspot for the bomb panel at Brenner's might not have appeared because I did not play the game in a certain sequence...?

We can't say for sure, but after reading about the game's issues above that oldbroad quoted from the review, it does sound like a distinct possibility.

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270375
04/01/22 07:42 PM
04/01/22 07:42 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Quick Update, Guys...

I remembered that the first time I had played this particular location (still talking about my recent playing of the game now), it had taken me a while to figure out the code for the box with the key to the bomb panel. I had just got it out, however, when the cutscene that *should* have appeared *after* defusing the bomb, kicked in! It was a long series of dialogs, and I'd not had the chance to defuse the bomb. So... I replayed, and that was when I found the glitches: no hotspot on the bomb panel & the hero's moving-back-forth-but-never-taking the ladder to where he was supposed to put it: under that bomb panel. Thanks to Oldbroad's earlier suggestion though, I had an idea. I am talking about the cop-out you mentioned, Oldbroad. As I told you, there seem to be none in this game, or at least my *version* of the game. HOWEVER... it reminded me of that first time, when I thought I was almost out of time and the cutscene had kicked in. So I tried it... did whatever I could (EXCEPT for picking up that ladder, which always freezes the game) and then WAITED for the 10-min time limit to run out on the bomb. And it worked! Turns out that the "bomber" takes pity on the hero (no doubt because he/I declined to let someone else die instead of me) and defuses the bomb herself, as hinted on in that cutscene which kicks in after the time expires.

In short, I am able to proceed further in the game (thank God!). Hopefully, there will be no further glitches in the game, because I really would like to finish this game now (it did not turn out to be as interesting as I'd remembered from the first time I'd played it, several years ago...). Still, I *would* like to be able to overcome that glitch and see how I *was* supposed to put the ladder under the bomb panel and defuse the bomb. So if anyone can offer any further help on that score, I would really be grateful. So that I can finally finish the game without any left-over... "wonderings" as to how it was *supposed* to be done.

Thanks to all of you, one and all. smile

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270378
04/01/22 08:38 PM
04/01/22 08:38 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Very glad to hear that you are able to continue on with the game, Zurreen!

If I have any more ideas about the glitch, I will let you know.

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270382
04/01/22 10:06 PM
04/01/22 10:06 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
So, if you hadn't picked up the ladder at all in your first attempt you would have been able to continue on in the game after the long dialog? Or am I misunderstanding that? At any rate, very happy for you that you can continue on! yes

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Marian] #1270388
04/01/22 10:30 PM
04/01/22 10:30 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Thanks! I would appreciate it. smile

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention, Marian. One more reason that it's not so good to use someone else's save is that the long cutscene that follows the bomb's time expirations, contains a lot of information. You can't save in the middle of that cutscene/dialog. So if you just substitute someone else's save, you will miss all that information (for whatever it might be worth). Note: I said "for whatever it might be worth" because I, for one, did not find most of the information very helpful. However, she does mention that there is supposed to be a secret/hidden room in the Manor, which is no doubt a clue *and* perhaps even opens up some possibility of further action in the game itself.

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: oldbroad] #1270389
04/01/22 10:38 PM
04/01/22 10:38 PM
Austin, Texas
Z
Zurreen Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Zurreen  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Z

Austin, Texas
Yes, that's right. You see, as time ticks on, the woman offers to let *you* off the hook & blow someone else instead! You then get a Yes/No choice. If you choose Yes, then it's Game-Over, of course, with the hero's funeral cutscene! But if you pick No, do whatever you can get done (EXCEPT for trying to pick up that ladder!), basically wait for the clock to run out, then a different cutscene follows: the woman walks in the room, saying "you are stupid" (apparently because we couldn't/didn't defuse the bomb) "but decent" (no doubt because we declined to let someone else be blown off to save our own skin) and the game moves on.

In fact - and as I told Marian, it's not so good to use someone else's save - the long cutscene that follows the bomb's time expirations, contains a lot of information. You can't save in the middle of that cutscene/dialog. So if you just substitute someone else's save, you will miss all that information (for whatever it might be worth).

Note: I said "for whatever it might be worth" because I, for one, did not find most of the information very helpful. However, she does mention that there is supposed to be a secret/hidden room in the Manor, which is no doubt a clue *and* perhaps even opens up some possibility of further action in the game itself.

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents The Final Cut Glitch [Re: Zurreen] #1270391
04/01/22 11:02 PM
04/01/22 11:02 PM
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
Graduate Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Chicago
That's interesting Zurreen. I want to say I used the shovel on the bomb but I really can't remember even though it was only 2 years ago that I played it through. Enjoy the rest of the game!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Orion), 264 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users