GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
The Chrono Jotter, a First Look by flotsam #1303292
08/03/23 06:10 PM
08/03/23 06:10 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,279
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content OP
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Online Content OP
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,279
Near St. Louis, MO
[Linked Image]


There is some intriguing stuff inside this visual novel, but for me it holds out the promise of being more than it ends up delivering. It might seem a bit unfair to make that observation after only about 90 minutes of playtime, but it isn't something I intend to keep going with so feel free to take what I say with a big grain of salt.

You 'play' Ran Ibuki, who we first encounter trapped in what I thought for a moment might be a coffin but turned out to be a tad more mundane, but even once 'free' she remains stuck. In a school no less, with no way out and a small number of other students who are involved in a game of murdering and resurrecting each other on a regular basis. Why seems immaterial; the lottery to determine who kills who this time around just is what it is. Needless to say, Ran gets involved, and the first corpse found is that of her missing girlfriend from four years ago. Could things be any more strange?

Well, yes, because through her notebook Ran has the ability to 'backtrack,' in essence travel back in time and revisit certain points, observing different things and perhaps doing things differently herself. Collect all the relevant info and the victim can be brought back. Until next time perhaps.

If that wasn't enough, Ran has her own issues, which you can find out for yourself, and the novel gives you the capacity to accumulate points towards three character traits, each of which can influence how your narrative might progress. You can also spend points to temporarily increase a trait should you want to e.g., ask a particular question.

Those things provided the intriguing-ness I mentioned up-front, although I was a little unconvinced by the character traits (accepting that only with another playthrough or some 'backtracking' and different choices could I really tell). A more fundamental let-down was the way the murder was solved. Based on the narrative I anticipated that I would need to make some deductions, and that failing would have consequences, but in reality, I pretty much just watched as things unfolded. When I did participate, I was asked to choose what was and wasn't important, but a wrong choice simply resulted in a comment along the lines of 'that's not important' and the detail was then deleted from my list. My deduction it seemed was irrelevant.

Which fed back into a general feeling of busyness (the notebook constantly updated, speech bubbles indicating other conversations going on, etc.) that while potentially interesting (there is a lot going on in the notebook, you can read back over all the logs) felt of little real consequence if ignored.

Which again I confess might be doing things a disservice (do you ignore footnotes when you read a book?) but suggested more in terms of my engagement than ultimately went on.

The other thing that needs mentioning is the translation. It's jangly, not at all natural, and seems like it could have been done by AI. Regardless, in something that is really a novel the writing, including its construction and delivery, are key elements of the impact it has. That there is no spoken word adds to what is at times an awkward reading experience.

It's easy to interact with (I liked that my mouse wheel advanced the written word). I wished it had grabbed me more.


When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Re: The Chrono Jotter, a First Look by flotsam [Re: Draclvr] #1303298
08/03/23 07:11 PM
08/03/23 07:11 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 24,567
Chicago
oldbroad Offline
True Blue Boomer
oldbroad  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 24,567
Chicago
Thanks flotsam and Draclvr!

Re: The Chrono Jotter, a First Look by flotsam [Re: Draclvr] #1303299
08/03/23 07:12 PM
08/03/23 07:12 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 53,952
near Yosemite
Marian Online content
Global Moderator
Marian  Online Content
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 53,952
near Yosemite
A very informative first look, flotsam! Thanks so much. thumbsup

And thank you for your help, Drac! wave

Re: The Chrono Jotter, a First Look by flotsam [Re: Draclvr] #1303303
08/03/23 08:06 PM
08/03/23 08:06 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 85,509
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 85,509
In the Naughty Corner
Thanks for the details flotsam! Greatly appreciate it!

Thank you Drac!

Ana wave


Don't feed the Trolls
Re: The Chrono Jotter, a First Look by flotsam [Re: Draclvr] #1303321
08/04/23 06:15 AM
08/04/23 06:15 AM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,923
The Country
Winfrey Offline
BAAG Specialist
Winfrey  Offline
BAAG Specialist

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,923
The Country
Thank you


Would that I could be the peacemaker in your soul that I might turn the discord and the rivalry of your elements into oneness and melody
Gibran
Re: The Chrono Jotter, a First Look by flotsam [Re: Draclvr] #1303925
08/13/23 12:12 AM
08/13/23 12:12 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 7,770
Long Beach, Australia
flotsam Offline
Staff Reviewer
flotsam  Offline
Staff Reviewer
BAAG Specialist

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 7,770
Long Beach, Australia
Just FYI I note that Steam says the makers are refining and polishing the English translation, and it will be available to all when done.


Quantity has a quality all of its own
Re: The Chrono Jotter, a First Look by flotsam [Re: Draclvr] #1303938
08/13/23 10:10 AM
08/13/23 10:10 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,279
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content OP
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Online Content OP
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
True Blue Boomer

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,279
Near St. Louis, MO
Interesting that they are taking this step. I read a bunch of the reviews and there were several mentions of "awkward" or "machine-generated" translations. But for the most part, the reviewers considered those to be minor issues. I'm glad to hear the makers are listening to their audience!


When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Re: The Chrono Jotter, a First Look by flotsam [Re: Draclvr] #1303964
08/13/23 02:58 PM
08/13/23 02:58 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 36,985
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 36,985
United Kingdom
Thanks for your informative first look, flotsam (and thank you Draclvr) grin


Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Marian, curly, revco, soot), 251 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
mb47, Bleumoooon, Cantillon, Majestic_12, Adverb
9443 Registered Users
Powered by UBB.threads™